Why can't americans drive a car with manual gear shift?

Why can't americans drive a car with manual gear shift?

Most Americans cant drive automatic cars nowadays.

So far I've had a 300ZX, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, Camaro and a Chevy pick up with sticks.

I drive standard transmission.automatics are very popular in the usa most pple I know drive both.

Because there is an automatic option that makes manual an unnecessary inconvenience.

Because sadly car companies do not make many stick shifts any more. There is no reason to learn how to drive stick shift if they never will drive one. I love stick shift but they are dying out.

My roommate only buys standards.

>they are called standards
Holy kek you fucking retards, sacrificing complete control of your engine because you don't know how to use another pedal

>having technology available to make things easier
>not using it

Why don't Europeans use modern heaters or air conditioners, or know how to use ovens, clothes washers or dishwashers?

>cling to primitive ways
>economy dwarfed by USA
>become puppet of USA

I only drive manual but I will say that driving one in rush hour, bumper to bumper traffic can be a pain in the ass.

>Boils water in the microwave.

This. When I go to yurop, I'm always amazed by their shitty appliances. It'll take like 4 hours to do a load of laundry in a machine that fits three shirts, then you guys don't even have dryers.

I only drive and own manuals. At one point, the Nissan truck was halfway getting the Mad Max treatment. It was fucking glorious.

I'm forced to drive a manual honda hatchback because i'm too fucking poor to buy another car

I wish I could own an automatic, been driving stick for 4 or 5 years now and the fucking hills in my town are the worst. i got train tracks and stop lights on all the steepest hills. it's fucking annoying and my clutch is bad. i'd take an auto anyday

Op is still a fag

Because I've got a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other. I don't have enough hands to deal with that nonsense

I drove a 5 Speed Tacoma, and now I have a Subaru STI.

Because only an idiot wants to manually shift gears. You know, retards, europoors, etc.

Because CVT is best transmission. Oh right, americans don't like those either for some reason, fuck this gay earth.

Bait

/thread
I drive and auto G37 as a daily driver. But have a 93 RX7 to drive on the weekends and to cruise.
Chicago traffic sucks balls and would never drive a stick shift as a daily driver.

Idiot here loves driving my Acura 6 speed manual...

sorry to hear that, user. When did you find out?

Scoobie WRX here. You'll have to pry that stick from my cold dead hand before I give it up.

>Mitsubishi Eclipse
Hey, same! What year?
But I do know how.

>Why can't americans drive a car with manual gear shift?

>Because sadly car companies do not make many stick shifts any more

fucking retarded, you can get any economy car with a manual in murica

my friend just bought a base model chevy with a 6 speed manual. even is dog leg pattern

>would never drive a stick shift as a daily driver
girly man

This is truth. Jeep and toyotas are the only sticks I could find. Although I did just pick up a 5 speed ranger.

>be Yuropoor
>live in shitty 1000 year old stone home
>shaped like a cave
>no insulation
>huddle around wood heating to keep warm
>no clothes washer or dishwasher
>scrape stone along clothes to clean them
>can't afford automatic transmission
>have to keep shifting gears on tiny European car b/c lack of technology in Yurop
>shuffling along old cow path in 1st gear
>dream of immigrating to USA
>know it will never happen

It's really not hard to drive manual. The question is hwo much shitty traffic and hills do you face on a daily basis. Yeah I know, you get used to it and cars with hill assist, but we all know driving manual ain't about bumper to bumper San Francisco traffic.

I do love my 2010 manual Impreza, and in the winter? That's when I'm reminded why I got myself AWD

Who the fuck?

Convenience factor. A good portion can drive stick, a lot just prefer to have it easier.

We can. Just not Americans born after 1990

In traffic you only need 1st gear and brakes, lots and lots of brakes.

If my cvt was tunable I would actually like my Altima, but since Nissan is stupid and doesn't allow that or ecu swaps, my 98 jetta will be my favorite.
>nothing like that glorious 15° v6 roaring at stop lights as I pop the clutch harder then a teenager pops pimples

We have automatic cars and parents who never taught us anything.

I just bought a 2016 gti with a stick shift. The dealership who sold me said manual will be phased out except in luxury/sports cars. Even then, the high-end cars are going to paddle-shifters.

Pretty lame.

Fuck driving stick in SF. Those steep hills are hell. Sheer amount of traffic is bullshit, even on flatter roads near the piers.

keeps women in their place

F1 cars are paddle auto just like most american cars.

Why can't europoors go a day without being cucked by Africans and mudslims?

Lol. Whatever you think bro. I drove a stick shift as a daily driver for 10 years. Now that I’m older and have more money I am afford to have an auto daily driver and a stick weekend car. I even road race a few weekend in the summer for fun... but thanks for letting me know, I really value your input.

Dumb faggot. Only 3.9% of cars sold in the US now are a stick shift and your friend has a shit car.

American can drive a stick without a problem if they are forced to.

Good thing they make enough money and have enough common sense. Why save $1-2K getting a crappy gearbox....

Plus a gearbox will limit your resale and overall value of your car....

Might as well get manual windows and locks, no heated seats, basic crap radio, no backup camera, etc....

I'm sorry we would rather keep buying AWD SUV's and 4x4 Trucks. That are loaded.

The Mazda3 is also sold in stick.

Even now you can’t but a car over $100,000 with a manual trans. Except maybe a Porsche gt2 or an older model ford gt or viper.

All newer luxury sports cars are paddle shifters.

We can. We just have the option not to because we aren't third world scum. Stay salty, you big vagina.

While I agree that automatic has some clear advantages, saying that F1 racing transmissions and consumer road car transmissions are the same is stupid. And even if it was true, implying that the use cases are similar enough to endorse one another is stupid.

BTW I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee with Auto Trans and just picked up a 2017 FIAT 124 Spider a few months ago, with a gear box. With is pretty much a Mazda RX-5 by Fiat. It is nothing more than a Summer Toy. Before that I owned a 09 v6 Camaro with a gearbox.

I wouldn't drive a gearbox as my daily if I was paid to do so...

Can you be anymore of a try hard douche bag? I have a sedan that does 0-60 in like 5.5, maybe you're right, maybe it would be worth sacrificing all kinds of convenience to make my car do that in 5.3 and of course if be able to then saw I drive a stick huh? Fucking pleb loser

Born in 91 and drive a 79 mustang 4 speed. Actually I don't drive because of a revoked license, but the car I used to drive and own is a manual.

buying a economy car...

Sorry Americans that buy new cars tend to buy SUV's and Trucks.. And can afford more than the cheapest car on the market...

CVT's are clunky.

My Buddy got one of those nissan's with the CVT. I guess the Clunks are normal...

First car was a 79 mustang turbo with a manual.

Those cars are such pieces of shit. Be happy that you can't drive it

American here. I can, and prefer to drive standard.

Yeah it's nearly mint, I'm debating on selling it. I don't get my license back until 2020...

Nice b8 m8 I r8 8/8

I having had two of these cars (I was young and thought that they were awesome classics at one point) would recommend getting out of it if you can get a reasonable amount. They become money pits and aren't efficient or reliable at all

Well getting 8mpg and being horrible in the snow. Sounds Great. Plus they are not even that fast, nor could they handle fast speeds...

I wouldn't touch anything before the 90's as a daily.

kek

Hard to drink a beer in traffic with a manual transmission.

Laser was a 92, the Eclipse was newer but still the same Diamond Star 90s body style.

i beg to differ

Why do you think the bottom of the can is concave???

i just kekd imagining someone trying to shift with a beer can

im american and i own 2 manuals. not sure what youre talking about

I've driven a stick shift for as long as I've been driving. Saab 9000 CDE, 2001 Z28, 2012 370Z, 2014 370Z and now a Porsche Cayman S.

Stick is superior for driver involvement but look at hats happening in the sports car market: manuals are dying out.

You can't buy a new Ferrari or Lamborghini in a manual. Porsche is phasing them out. The only cars you can easily find with a manual transmission are Camaros and Mustangs and Corvettes.

Times are changing.

1-Because, very few car companies still have it as an option, and if they do, you have to special order it.

2-Automatics are so good now, no reason to have a stick, in many cases automatics get better gas mileage and are faster

3-Only purist still want a stick, I grew up and learned on a stick and my first 3 cars very manual, while it was fun as a teenager, I have no desire to drive around in Los Angeles traffic shifting gears.

4-More expense in the long run, almost all automatics are bulletproof and sealed now and it's a part of the car that will never be an issue or an expense for owners, while standard transmission, will need a new clutch several times over the average ownership. Especially since if you wanted a stick, you are probably doing more aggressive driving, so you're gonna burn through clutches.

>base model chevy
you mean the one imported from europe?

All I own and drive is manual. I’d like to see some of these guys drive a 18