Can anyone explain the rule of 2 for me...

can anyone explain the rule of 2 for me? I know what it is but why is it in place it literally boils down to two people who both know eventually the other one is going to try and kill the other also why would the master take on an apprentice? The master already embodies the power of darkside why would he want someone near him to crave it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=a3TZey2dtho
youtube.com/watch?v=OSx7bqkcLV8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Not really a rule, just a coincidence really, i understand it as any more than two people and the hierarchy get murderous and rapey (see kreia)

but the hierarchy is already murderous. you only become the master after killing your master. why would they intentionally train someone to kill them?

well I suppose the idea is that the master has established themselves as the most powerful. And the apprentice would have to be even more powerful to overthrow them. Basically making the sith more and more powerful? Also the less people there are to use the dark side of the force, the more there is of it to go around essentially, so it's more powerful.

arrogance that you are all powerful, and in the case of kreia stupidity

Neither sith nor jedi want chaos, chaos is on a different spectrum of the dark side. And in the past it was a problem that many sith also meant a lot of chaos and decreased overall strength against the jedi, because sith and their fleets rather attacked each other.

Real answer? George Lucas is a no-talent hack.

if you dont want to o talk star wars, why dont you like not, i get that no one listens too you in real life and all that but its an accepted thing that his wife wrote most of the good shit, so maybe you're the no talent hack?

but still if someone walked up to me and said "hey man can you train me" I would think "well shit I killed the guy who trained me. and he killed the guy who trained him. and he killed the guy who trained him" . why would you invite that shit into your life

apprentice doesn't always kill the master brah

am i banned still

probably

yeah but there is still a possibility. its like playing russian roulette

>be Sith lord
>don't want apprentice having apprentices to outnumber me
>don't want to be outnumbered by my own apprentices
>find a better apprentice and make him kill my old apprentice so i'm not outnumbered
>claim it's some rule

Which is fun

It was Darth Bane's way to weed out the corruption of the Sith order after he killed off the old order. The rule of two keeps the Sith hidden, and makes sure that the apprentice is always stronger than their master.

youtube.com/watch?v=a3TZey2dtho
youtube.com/watch?v=OSx7bqkcLV8

the rule of the two was created by Darth Bane after he was the sole survivor of the sith extinction. He realised that the inner powerhungry acts of the sith made them so weak they almost got extinct. So he made the rule so the sith could remain hidden (Jedi thought the sith were all dead) to plot and get the revenge (which Palpatine eventually does after millennia)

Im not a huge fan of SW. I like the original trilogy, I like some games from this universe but I dont read books or watch TV shows for kids. So answer me this - was the rule of two created by some guy who wrote expanded universe books? And was it created after Phantom Menace? Because in this movie (I think) Yoda says "always two there are" and my guess is that the dude who created the rule of two just wanted to explain what Lucas had in mind when writing that dialog but just did this poorly.

but if youre the master why would you want someone around who can potentially kill you?

To be killed by your apprentice is the best ending a Sith can hope for.

It means that the next in line has become more powerful, and thus the strength of the Sith as a concept is overall stronger. Its a constant cycle of improving on itself through the improvement of the future,

Because you're not a pussy. Sith aren't friends, they use each other for power. It's expected that a sith apprentice will kill their master, or try to. If they fail, then they're weak and deserve to die. If they succeed then they have truly mastered the dark side.

Have I ever told you guys the tale of Darth Plaguis the wise?

its tradition. the sith have strong traditions. and also the master is arrogant and he thinks the apprentice cannot overthrow them. sometimes they can sometimes they cant and the master kills them thus rooting out the weak

The idea behind the philosophy was to better the Sith order, even at the expense of the master's life. The apprentices would kill the master eventually, but if there's only one, that apprentice must be stronger than the master. This stops the degeneration of the Sith order.

An apprentice is more than a ticking bomb. They are very helpful in many ways, not the least of which is helping you in a fight. Also, having someone to succeed you means that the order, and your teachings, live on. In a way, it's living on in spirit, even if you don't live on in body.

lol

idk. palpatine didnt want to die. also if its an honor to be killed by your apprentice then why did palpatine kill darth plagueis in his sleep? how does that show the sith getting stronger?

If you don't have an apprentice then the sith would die with you. This whole evolution thing is about continuing your bloodline, it's kind of what we are all programed to do.

Palapatine a soi boi sith

The way I understood it, Bane was fine with the sith being power hungry, even encouraging it with the rule of two. A master to know the dark side, and an apprentice to desire it. Or however that went... What he really was concerned about was the corruption of the order. The constant infighting was lowering the power of the order by killing off the strongest sith lords, and the ones that would replace them would be content with their power. The sith lost thousands of years of progress in dark side force powers this way.

An interesting thing about Bane is that he was against the wanton killing of innocents. He wasn't a bleeding heart, it was a pragmatic decision. Killing those too weak to resist you wastes your effort, and draws attention from the people that can actually pose a threat. That, and why murder when you can enslave?

He was proficient in all seven lightsaber forms, and was notably strong with force lightning. Darth Sidious was the Sith that finally brought the order's dream of galactic domination to fruition.

Plagueis let his guard down. He placed his pursuit of personal immortality ahead of conquest, and he became complacent. Plagueis should have seen this coming and put measures in place to prevent it. He was weak.

It kinda just shows that while Palpatine was powerful he was also a coward.

Im talking 6th movie palpatine, I can barley walk palpatine, I cant stop less than half a man made of electronics palpatine

It is done to keep the dark side alive. When there are more Sith lords they wage internal war.

dude Darth Sidious manipulated the republic into war, blinded the jedi to their impending destruction, made anakin turn to the darkside, and positioned imself to be The Emperor. He literally ruled the fucking galaxy. He was the most powerful and successful sith. You're the soi boi

I'm gonna go with right place right person palpatine, does this quell your mood boi

>
>but the hierarchy is already murderous. you only become the master after killing your master. why would they intentionally train someone to kill them?
You an apprentice to carry out menial tasks at a greater efficiency than clones/drones or alike. Also, procreation is a fundamental part of every living being, even though apprentices is normally not relatives passing the torch is one key aspect of why to get an apprentice. Sometimes the master will go through many apprentices before he is killed, remember Darth trumpius?

dude not even Sheev was smart he learned all he could and instead of risking losing a fight he laid that sucker out flat and stuck a stake right through his goddamn heart

Sidious kept up a facade of helplessness to mask his considerable force ability (remember when Anakin walked in on Windu about to kill him in his office), and Vader was incredibly strong, both because of and despite his cybernetics. In Return of the Jedi, Sidious was too distracted with Luke to notice that his apprentice was seconds from betraying him. He did kill Vader in the end, though. It just took a little while for it to set in.

but you don't need an apprentice for that. look at Grand Moff Tarkin. He could have easily taken care of whatever Darth Vader could

he just shorted the life support didn't he, also how can a dude who can literally read the room whilst being pretty omniscient, not notice urderous rage thats not his own

this is something i never understood. but i guess the sith think about the greater good more than themselves?

Fucking faggot. Palpatine never intended to give up his position. He believed the sith's grand plan ended with him.

Palpatine became complacent with Vader. He was his unflinching lap dog for 23 years at that point

Because if your force potential is a 9, and you train three apprentices who you hope will one day live up to the standard you set and improve on your teachings, they could all gang up on you even though each of them isn't stronger than a 5. They use numbers and other trickery to replace their master, and after that they've weakened the Sith order as a whole. Alone, the only way for an apprentice to kill and replace you is to be cunning or more powerful than you. Then you can die knowing that they've surpassed you and will eventually be surpassed and disposed of by apprentices of their own. The Jedi are one generation closer to being destroyed.

i mean palpatine wasn't wrong. he did rule the galaxy for 23 years

from what I've read (oh god I'm doing the 'in the extended universe' thing) Vader was more like an untrained pit bull than a shi tzu

If you take into account the great deal of good EU content revolving around the Sith, you would understand. The rule of two consolidated the sith's power and knowledge. Starting with Darth Bane, he acquired several ancient Sith holocrons, uncovered their secrets and taught ALL of it to his apprentice and she was expected to the same while acquiring knowledge of her own.
The Sith become more powerful with each new generation. They also covertly acquired contacts and political influence that culminated in the separatists-republic war where Palpatine was able to control both sides.

Oh yeah, Tarkin had quite the track record of hunting down and killing Jedi himself... Vader was supposed to be the perfect Sith. Unfortunately he was arrogant and it cost him most of his humanity, and lost most of his potential for it. No suit Vader would be able to take Yoda or Sidious. Easy.

Vader had a lot of rage towards his master but he was far from untrained. And regardless of his emotions, Vader obeyed him at just about every turn. Palpatine was also confident that Vader could never best him because Palpatine made sure his prosthetics and machinery weren't top of the line. Vader eventually replaced what he could to improve himself but he was obviously never the same or as connected to the force. This is mostly EU stuff as well but justifies the plot

dude jedis aren't that hard to kill. 90% of them were killed by clones

But he did not posses the mombojombo that come with being a sith. The master needs to show sith power without endangering himself. He is very powerful but not indestructible, an apprentice is expendable.

The master gets hard when he gets betrayed.

Because you've only got a single sword to deflect all that blaster fire. Overwhelming odds still work even against targets with good defenses as long as you're willing to sacrifice a ton of cannon fodder along the way.

Darth Bane set the Rule of 2, and yes it is a real rule.

It came about because back in the day there were so many Sith and so many different factions of Sith that they spent most of the time fighting amongst themselves and killing each other. Bane saw this as being counter productive, so he killed all the others and put the rule in place.

Think of it as consolidating power too. The more sith there are, the thinner the force is spread, but with only 2 they have the potential to be much stronger.

Or at least thats how it was, now that disney nuked the EU who the fuck knows.

untrained like not containable, like walking a dog thats actually just walking itself

The downfall of the Jedi is explained by them going soft. The last generation of Jedi was arguably the weakest. They loosened up their recruiting requirements and became too prominent and comfy. Even some Jedi that sensed the betrayal coming simply couldn't endure the endless blaster barrage they were faced with. But yes, the ones that did survive were the strongest or lucky

The Master needs an apprentice to ensure that if they are defeated, the Sith order survives. Some Sith consider the Rule of One (Plagueis, Palpatine) as a future for the Sith once they had control of the galaxy. With no Jedi to fight and few other force-weilding adversaries, they were free to reform the Sith Empire to cement their power.

It also helped keep the Sith Order secret. By operating in a tight group, the Sith Master and Apprentice could operate in the shadows and continue their mission as Sith to exterminate the Jedi and control the galaxy. That culminated in the point where Plagueis was the head of the galactic banking clan and Palpatine was a rising Senator in the Galactic Republic, and no-one had any idea.

Finally, it's all about incentives. The Master wants to embody power and knows they need and apprentice to do their bidding and ensure the survival of the Sith. The Master trains the Apprentice in the Dark Side to incentivise the apprentice to follow the Master. Then both have to keep learning and growing in power and capability to stop the other killing them.

That's my understanding of it but you could go into much more detail about the Brotherhood of Darkness and Darth Bane to understand the events that led to the creation of the Rule of Two

I guess. He obeyed Palpatine mostly not for the sake of obedience but the fact that Palpatines assignments often aligned with Vader's rage ie. killing Jedi and rebels

Yea. Clones even knew how to kill Jedi. Focus fire at center mass. Even if a couple of them were picked off by deflected shots, they just keep going because no fear basically

My niggers

The jedi order had become a galactic police force and a tool of the republic, which is counter to what the true jedi teachings are.

They really were a bunch of hypocrites before sidious essentially ended them, that part was true, which is why i dont understand how they didnt see their downfall coming with the whole 'bring balance to the force' prophecy

They were the ones with all the power, so of course they were going to be the ones to be 'balanced'. Their arrogance was their downfall.

It depends on the strength of the Jedi and what force powers they're most proficient with. Obi-wan practiced a defensive fighting style primarily so he can block blaster fire better than most.

The last generation of Jedi were a shadow of their former selves and were delusional to their own weaknesses regardless. Their inability to adapt was their own downfall. I'm sure the ancient Jedi were a much more formidable group.

Not saying it wasn't a part of it but yes poetically, that's true. But they were also soft due to the power they've acquired. Also no Sith in generations and believing everyone was their allies so yes also arrogance. But the war effort also promoted Jedi to loosen their training and recruitment standards. They were also spread too thin which is why the temple was sacked so easily.

Al this EU shit just ruined star wars leave it at the original trilogy

A lot better than Disney's star wars tho

I wasnt arguing, just expounding on what you said

its is a rule. sith are about being the most powerful. if your apprentice kills you, then this means he is stronger then you. there for even if you are killed by him the sith ethos and way of life is preserved. getting ganked by 20 noobs blowing up the core of a planet you are sleeping on is not. Also if you have 1 student you can focus on him. Plus it is not like being a sithling is an easy position to achive, you more or less have to drown in the blood of other applicants, and even then you may be deemed as not strong enough to kill your master in the future.

The EU was what made star wars amazing

And its also what makes disney wars so terrible because it ignores all of it

Wasnt palpatine also getting ready for the Vong to invade?

his picking of a jedi as a student was a perversion of all the sith are about. The whole thing about siths is the cycle of masters and students achiving greater and ever greater power. so one day they can crush the jedi, and create a well strucutured sociaty, that doesn't work on lies.

>EU spans from several years after ANH release to 2015
>numerous books written by numerous authors
>dumb nigger who hasn't read any of it says the entirety of it is shit

Do you realize how fucking dumb you sound? I get that reading is hard for you and that some of the EU is indeed shit but you're just being a contrarian faggot at this point.

Yeah these clones were war vets who had fought countless battles, and fought along side the jedi. Knowing their movements and technique. Plus they outnumbered them greatly and attacked at night, betraying them successfully and with ease.

Nigger please, Vader was just acquiring enough Dragon souls to beat him in one hybrid shout. He was only lacking a few souls near the end.

The way I understood it was, nobody lives forever and the sith must prevail so you train someone go take your place. The reason they must kill you is to prove they're better than you because there is no reason in someone taking your place if they're weaker when the sith is all about power

because if you raise an army of people who know they have to kill their master you no longer have to fear one person rising up against you but any of a million fucktard cannon fodder you employed.

Good on the harmonica though

So was the rule of two, exactly that just 2 period?
How is it that we kept seeing random sith pop up from time to time? Were they just random people claiming to be sith? Or self proclaimed sith?
Or was the rule of two, simply if you were a sith you just took one apprentice and they were scattered across the galaxy

The rule of 2 us literal just one master, one apprentice.

The galaxy is a big place, and the sith operate in secret a lot of time. I'm sure Bane didnt get every last one, there had to have been a handful who survived who fancied themselves as masters who kept their own thing going.

Universe i should say, not galaxy, but you get what i mean

And on a side note, thats one thing that really bothered me about the new movies, who the fuck was snoke and where did he come from, and how was he do powerful?

Someone like that wouldnt have been able to hide from sidious.

This....so much this....been annoying the shit out of me ever since I saw it

>
>Universe i should say, not galaxy, but you get what i mean
>
>And on a side note, thats one thing that really bothered me about the new movies, who the fuck was snoke and where did he come from, and how was he do powerful?
>
>Someone like that wouldnt have been able to hide from sidious.

He had a low key job in the outer rim, when sidious fell he quit his rim job and started to become powerful, him being a giant and all his powers grew fast, I mean look at that chair. It was huge. He even got the power to become normal sized in between movies

i bet those "rim jobs" accelerated his dark growth

>why would they invite that
Look. Why would they join the dark side anyway? They doom themselves when they bend to the dark side anyway. Also the rule of 2 counts on ambition, pride and absence of emotion. The sith master is too powerful and too confident for the apprentice to murder, until the apprentice catches up to his mentor. This is usually inevitable. Also the masters don't just offer their lives, and are usually betrayed at their darkest hour to ensure the coldness of the sith society.

what part of "do not talk about Sup Forums" don't you understand?

If you read the books it explains the rule of two is the ultimate balance if power. There had been only one or two instances where this rule was defied and it did not end well

Not all sith even take an apprentice. It's why there are so many more jedi than sith. Only some take an apprentice and most of them get killed by the one they take. It's more just an accepted part of the industry than a rule.

because it is desireable to be one day bested by the apprentice, by being defeated that means the new master is stronger than the previous. this ensure the dark side becomes stronger with each new generation.

most apprentices dont beat their masters though and die. it takes many apprentices before one manages to defeat their master

The Master need the apprentice to get shit done, as said, that increases the liklihood that Master will not get killed doing menial shit.

Also, the Apprentice keeps the Master on his toes... A Predator without a threat to its existence gets fat and lazy, then gets killed over menial shit.

READ THE FUCKING BOOK THAT IS LITERALLY NAMED THE RULE OF TWO

It's a plot device by lazy writers.

Was Oprah ever an apprentice? I find it hard to keep track with American politics and culture. Can somebody beat a master even though they where not apprentice? Albeit one that is of the dark side

I think Oprah is quite strong with the dark side, and America is turning darker and darker

It is (was) an actual rule, instituted by some sith fuccboi whose name I can't remember and then redacted by some other fuccboi whole name I can't remember. Shiet I don't even care about Star Wars, I only know this because I took speed a few days ago and found myself intensely reading up on Star Wars lore while furiously masturbating.

This is more or less correct. To summarize reasons,
1. There was infighting whenever there were numerous sith, keeping it to 2 although one would get murdered eventually ensured that they wouldn't have an all-out war over power and could focus on stealth and the grand plan, killing all jedi
2. The more important reason of consolidating all the dark side force in the galaxy into just 2 people
3. And the third and most important reason, hack writing.There was just vader and palpatine, and palpatine told luke to strike down vader and become his apprentice (which would preserve 2) and then in the prequels yoda has a line, "always two there are," when he notices that to be true again in the prequels, (even though that's not accurate, at times there were 3 or more) and then It was retconned, some 3rd party writer noticed and wrote a whole series of books about darth bane and rule of two (not that the writing itself was bad, just that retconning that hard is hacky writing and shows a lack of foresight and planning)

Holy shit you nerds talking about star trek and later complain you dont get no pussy LMAO

>Come to malaysian basket weaving forum
>probably spends time here every day
>open up star wars thread and read responses

>MAN I BET YOU NERDS DON'T GET NO PUSSY BOIIIIII
I'll take the bait. Well it's not like you're wrong, but pot kettle black etc.

Becomming strong with the dark side is clearly becomming more and more important. That groapy/rapey/molesty senator was clearly not strong with the dark side

What about grey Jedi?

>Siths always fight against each other
>Siths always kill each other
>For siths: The Force is divided between force users
> The force ÷ many users= small part of the force for all of them.
>The force ÷ only 2 = Too much force for only 2.

I play in a band called Rule of Two...
ruleoftwoband.com