PEMDAS

Nice QUADRUPELETE

we really doin this again. okely dokely doo
20/5(2×2)
20/5(4)
20/5×4
4×4

future liberal arts grads

jesus christ. I really, really hope this is fake. Im scared to send my future kid to school.

In PEMDAS the multiplication does not come before the division, same with the addition and subtraction. Since the 1500s the correct way has been to go from left to write when there is both multiplication and division. The only correct answer is 16

(2*2) first bc parentheses master race = 4
20 / 5 bc on left = 4
4*4 = 16

Wrong cuck.

---- = 1
5(4)

lmao ur bad at math you dont group the 4 with the five

Love.

This guy fucking gets it.

Type the formula as written into any calculator ever. You will get 16. Fuck off with this shit.

Who told you it was a fraction?

"both answers are equally correct" = "participation trophy"

This
I was taught this 20 years ago by the best teacher I ever had.

Don't worry user you won't ever have kids.

This is fucking cancer...

are you kinda sped or smthn

USA USA

I hope that is fake

the answer is nigger

NO THEY ARE NOT.

The old way was to get the wrong answer?

They're in elementary school. PEMDAS doesn't come until algebra.

USA USA

So Common Core is actually an improvement over whatever they were teaching at that shitty school before. Good to know.

I'm a teacher.
We only teach Common Core because they're the new state standards.
Don't blame us, blame the Board of School.

The equation is written ambiguously. That's the problem. It can be interpreted as 20/(5*2*2) or (20/5)*(2*2)

Do they really teach that both answers are equally correct !?!?

This is fucked up on so many levels, but it shows one thing clearly : the segmentation of society between higher and lower classes doesn't come from the higher class pushing the others down but from the lower class refusing to learn and evolve because muh feelings.

Right is right, wrong is wrong, special snowflakes better learn to suck a shlong.

probably a fag

That aint how PEMDAS works, ya dumbass.

test

>20/5(2x2)
>20/(10x10)
>20/100
>1/4
activate them almonds boy

That's all sorts of fucking wrong

that's a goddamn lie those sons of bitches forced us to learn it in 4th grade

In PEMDAS when you get to multiplication/division, You go left to right no matter which sign comes first. It's the same for addition and subtraction, there's no two answers. Jfc we really are dumb

college algerbra nigga

Finaly

at least tryto set the projector to the screen

This fag knows da wae

20/5(2*2)
20/5(4)
20/20

Trump 2020

This

kek

There isn’t an answer because math isn’t real.

it checks out under common core math

"equally correct"

Test

Since this is a forward-slash "/" the result is 16.

Close
>20/5(2x2)
>20/(10+10)
>20/20
>1

For anybody concerned about the math
>20/5(2*2)
>20/5*4, (2*2)=4
>4*4
>16

>Turning multiplication into addition
I want the acid you are taking

You should try maths instead of meths

It depends if
____
stuff,
=== 1

20/
stuff === 16

where the fuck is problem?

division is basically a fraction

are you retarded?
a(b+c) = ab+bc

maybe a(bc)=ab+ac

you seem retarded yourself

i'm not retarded your

nigga you ever taken one college semester?

As a true fraction it breaks the order because you simplify the top separately from the bottom before trying to simplify the fraction itself.

you're retarded

what you meant with is that x(y*z)=x*y+x*z.

where did you take that + from?

>20 / 5 (2 * 2)
>Hurr durr 16 and 1 are equally correct answers to this!!1!
How the FUCK could anyone think that 1 and 16 are "equally correct?" I'm a computer science student at a major university, taking advanced math courses, and therefore I am qualified to call this bullshit what it is: a fucking abomination. Let me spell it out for you cunts: you do the math inside the parenthesis first. So now we have this: 20/5*4. Then you work from left to right: 20/5 = 4, and then 4*4=16. THE ANSWER IS 16. THE ANSWER IS NOT 1. Whatever fucking nimrod came up with that bullshit of both answers being correct needs to be executed. I'm not even joking. This is not how math works. This is not how any of your computers are programmed to work. Without a standardized order of operations, the world would plunge into chaos. How would engineers, programmers, and scientists be able to get any calculations done? This is complete and utter dogshit and will ruin math if it continues to be taught.
>A N G E R Y

>old way

When was that ever da wae?

are why america will continue falling behind the learning curve like the banana-splits.
the only one who got it write is:
i know we are teaching children but you are not. this equation is an un-simplified fraction.
you simplify the denominator. multiply 5 into the parentheses. simplify the parentheses. the simplify the fraction.
>captchca; mcnaughty ineton

you make yourself angry. calm down you inept methmatrician

You are a FUCKING NIMRODS. It would work like that if it was written like this:

------------

I'm a retard can you explain slower for a fag like me? Isnt it PE MD AS ? Like you can do PE whichever way same for MD and AS? Like PEDMSA? 2+2-2=2 And 2×2/2=2 can go either way. But you said "multiplication does not come before division, same with addition and subtraction"

20 / 5 (2 * 2)

This is just laziness in how it is written; it can be interpreted multiple ways.

Either 20 is the numerator, and 5 (2 * 2) is the denominator, in which case the answer is 1,
or
20, 5, and (2 * 2) are all separate terms (as I would assume given the syntax) in which case the answer is 16.

Unless parentheses are specifies, go from left to right, and if 5 (2 * 2) was the entire denominator, it would have been in the denominator entirely.

t. mathfag

The answer is write it so the order of operations is obvious.

hey math fag go back to college algebruh

>Missing the point this severely
the point is that teaching kids this shit distracts from the true nature of mathematics and arguing over these weird fringe cases is retarded when the author of the expression should have made it obvious which order to evaluate it in.

the way i was taught by my dad, who is a NASA, is the correct way.

PEMDAS
you put () first, then if you have parenthesis already, the exportment is already finished. Then you multiply the answer, then divide it, then add and subtract them together.

(20/5)*(2*2) -> (100)*(2+2) - ((10+2)(2)(10))/10 = 16

You are a fucking stupid nigger faggot. You really are a mathfag, because you do math like a fag. Type it into your calculator or computer exactly as it is written and you will come out with an answer of 16. Don't confuse the issue by saying that "its lazily written" or it "can be interpreted multiple ways." To do math properly you have to think like a computer. A computer would give you an answer of 16. That's because computers don't have stupid nigger brains that "interpret things multiple ways."
By "mathfag" did you mean that you do math for a living? Are you a math teacher? If so you should quit. Fuck you.

my dad works for nintendo and asked Sakurai to give him the answer.
My dad said that sakurai said it is a fucking fraction. and that I was a dipshit for even thinking that "pemdas" is still a thing after first grade. I was told I had brought great shame to my family and now my dad in out of employment because of it.

>think like a computer
>mfw there is no face

Fuck me!

This 'nothing is wrong' bullshit is going too far.

Fuck the kids who get upset because they were wrong or didn't win. Do it fucking right or not at all!

Your ancestors surely weep in the afterlife.

it means PE MD AS groupings are resolved in that order but within each grouping priority is considered equal and resolved left to right

it can't be interpreted multiple ways

it can only be interpreted one way

if whoever wrote this wanted the entire 5(2*2) as the divisor, then they fucked up writing it. there is no ambiguity, the divisor is only 5. it's not even a five, that's a one fifth. you can solve this problem in any form and still get 16 unless you fuck up somewhere.

literally any fucking way you do this equation, if you do it correctly, you will get 16. you cannot do this correctly and get any other answer

20*0.2*(2*2)

>my dad works at nasa and still remembers pemdas and doesn't think teaching kids to interpret linearly written expressions is a waste of fucking time
why would you come on the internet just to lie user?

The correct answer is "undefined."

PEMDAS is just an easy way to teach highschoolers.

People that claim 1 to be the answer are simply retarded
de.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language/operator_precedence
>20/3(2*2) = 16
20/(3(2*2)) = 1

how did you remove the fraction? 5(2*2) is the entire denominator. you dont cherry pick what part of the problem looks convenient. See user
im a grill and I don't need you mansplaining the wrong answer. the asnwer is 1/4
>20/5(2*2)
>simplify denominator
>20/10*10
>simplify denominator again
>20/100
>1/4

>replacing the 5 for a 3. kek

denominator ends after 5 bc of operator precedence... type it into wolfram alpha if you must

if that was the case the why even out them in parentheses at all???

The reason we have a default order of operations is so we don't have to be explicit all the time with dozens of parentheses. If there are no parentheses to force an alternate order, then you use the default.

Its BEDMAS

Nah, the reason we have order of operations is because faggots like you are too lazy and stupid to be bothered to write an equation clearly and logically and instead just throw random shit together and hope your audience will understand.

Counter Terrorists Win

>plus
Kek

>old way 1
what the fuck? It's 16, has always been 16 and will always be 16.

Kys

Don't blow a fuse gramps'

20/5(2x2)
20/5(4)
following PEMDAS you do M first
20/20
*The old way is what correct idk what the fuck they are talking about*

This.

20 / 5 ( 2 *2 )
4 * ( 2 * 2 )
4 * 4

Wrong

Dude,
PEMDAS
20÷5(2×2)
Parenthesis 2×2=4
20÷5(4)
Multiply
5(4)=20
Left 20÷20
Which equals 1

They're equally correct out of context. It could end up being 20 over 5(4) or 20/5 multiplied by 4 depending on the reason the numbers are there. This is why uncontextualized math is dumb and why kids don't feel they need to learn it. This is a pointless equation.

Bedmas

In case you were confused, this is the common core way.

20 / 5 ( 2 * 2) [replace / with isomorph form of 1]
2015 ( 2 * 2 ) [simplify with 2]
015 ( * ) [add the *, which is a joker character and can take any value, so let's make it 1 here]

What the fuck this is the most goddamn infuriating thing I've ever seen.