Tape Delay

This might just bee because I'm a musician and I know most of the bag of tricks musicians have, but does anyone feel like tape delay effects are overdone? It seems like %50 of songs these days has some kind of "trippy" cascading waves of delays thing that either starts or ends a track or makes a lame solo sound more complex. Does anyone else feel like it's really played out?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ykcWdR-ewGw&t=50s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

tame impala ran it into the ground

Totally. There's a band in my towns that's basically just a Tame Impala rip off and they use it on every one of their tracks. Ugh.

Tame Impala ran the use of phasers into the ground.

official undisputed delay ranking
tape delay = digital delays with the ability to modify the buffer > vintage digital delays > regular digital delay > """analog""" bbds

What's the difference between the vintage and a typical digital delay? I have a pedal that says vintage delay but I don't even know xD

I'm gonna ignore the xD and respond here.
A vintage delay is typically analog, meaning it will have subtle modulation of pitch and other characteristics. (When people say wavy delay, this is what they mean.)

Digital delay on the other hand is typically much cleaner, and lacks the saturation and modulation characteristics of typical analog delays.

Everyone hides their lack of skill behind delay effects right now.

>tfw you dont have 4 tb-303 and a bunch of roland tape echos
youtube.com/watch?v=ykcWdR-ewGw&t=50s

For something so expensive he truly makes some shitty music.
Also: just buy the new Roland TB-03 reissue of the old and CLASSIC TB-303 you all love so much. Available in stores now ;).

Yo that shits played out

I think tape delay, when used properly, can be really evocative. but in general yeah, it's pretty overdone

Totally agree, there's a song on the new Mac Demarco album that does it for like 2 straight minutes at the end, shit really grinds my gears

When I was looking around fir a delay pedal to buy. There were so pany options for delay pedals that were modulated or distorted but so few advertised themselves as having super clean repeats.

Because clean repeats sound fake

Oh weird, I assumed that's what it meant when I got that pedal that says vintage delay, but it doesn't wobble at all. Fuck you Behringer.

>buys behringer
>complains
What did you expect? They're basically only meant for noise and to troll people. Why do you think they put their "ultimate metal" pedal (which might be the worst pedal of all time, it's like a parody of the Metal Zone) inside a bright pink ultra cheap plastic case?

no, space rock ran those into the ground already in like 1970

actually that guy is an idiot, vintage BBD or digital delays don't introduce pitch modulation, it's really only tape or delays that do that

he's doubly an idiot because he was asking the difference between newer vs. vintage DIGITAL delays, which as far as I know is just the lower fidelity converters which add kind of a subtle crunchy bitcrush-sound to the repeats

also tape echos are amazing on vocals (see kraftwerk)

>he's doubly an idiot because he was asking the difference between newer vs. vintage DIGITAL delays, which as far as I know is just the lower fidelity converters which add kind of a subtle crunchy bitcrush-sound to the repeats

Kinda, older digital delays typically have analog feedback paths and VCO clocks that can be modulated. Usually they're like 8 or 12 bit with some kind of compander. In a lot of ways they're similar to BBD delays, but they're typically less noisy, can have much longer delay times and higher bandwidths.

DSP based digital delays don't generally degrade the signal as it recirculates, although some introduce lowpass filters and other stuff, and you can always make an external feedback loop through a mixer or whatever. Often these can be modulated too, but it works somewhat differently since you're modulating the read point rather than the sample rate. The advantage is that you can often automate the delay times with MIDI controller data or whatever for really fucked up glitchy effects.

That's not necessarily a bad thing.

I don't know how any effect is supposed to sound like anything other than "fake" anyway.

Boss DD3
Be careful what you wish for though. Perfectly clean digital delay is different, and will turn into a tinny mess if you use too much feedback