/shugazi/ - shoegaze, blackgaze, noise pop, dream pop

listen to something new

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=L8QE4k0T980
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why the hell are we putting shoegaze together with dream pop? They sound nothing alike.

your dumb

dream pop and ethereal wave band Cocteau Twins was a key inspiration for shoegaze
You can clearly hear the influence in bands such as AR Kane, Slowdive, and Lush

japanese breakfast a shit

You should add OneRepublic.

tfw still listenong to the same bands from the late 80 and early 90s
why does modern shit suck/not catch my eye
music seems so fake and forced now

maybe you were just born in the wrong generation

nice reddit response,maybe its because we havent had anyone "big" the same way slowdive,mbv,lush etc were
only big shoegaze bands come from japan now i feel,or thats what i listen to

everything else in the west is made by some 25 year old autist woman with blue hair and piercings like japanese breakfast

idk man sounds like you're commenting more on the status of those bands than you are the sounds. shoegaze still sounds like you'd expect shoegaze to anyway, i think it would take a miracle to there to be another "big" shoegaze band that still sounds like regular shoegaze

guys we need whirr

didn't someone in a past thread say something about them being in the studio

though they could have just made it up

I unironically think Cranes is one of the best Dream Pop acts and is severely underrated. I think they had an interesting sound that adhered to the roots of the genre in contrast with other dream pop which seems to push saccharine tones. The instrumentation is pretty cool with them often bringing in acoustic guitars and piano and layering them cleanly in the mix against the hazier elements.

You should listen to and enjoy them, this mix of Jewel by Robert Smith is excellent.

youtube.com/watch?v=L8QE4k0T980

>shoegaze still sounds like you'd expect shoegaze to

Not him but I find this to be the problem. This is how genres stagnate. People with low standards gobble up anything that sounds like they'd expect. It seems that a lot of shoegaze fans are stuck in this mindset as evidenced by the reception of the new Slowdive and the backlash against people criticizing the fact that there is nothing new or interesting in it.

It's pretty ironic that this revival is intent on playing to a formula considering the origins of the genre.

Why is that ironic?

>genre established in part by an album that was revered and would go on to be remembered for it's sonic innovation
>genre gets revived 20 years later and everyone just doing the same shit

Yeah, because that's what a revival is: doing the same shit again

Not really sensei

Yes, really. It's repetition. Rehashing. Reintroduction.

a revival should be like a new modern interpretation of the old stuff

but personally I don't think there's really a shoegaze revival going on, there aren't any new relevant bands and people only care about established names

The real way to progress shoegaze is figure out what other emotions besides "druggy dreamy ecstasy with a melancholic tinge" you can do with a wall of guitars.

i think there a ton of people into shoegaze individually, like enough of an audience for a revival to be successful

but there's no uniting figure or huge band to make it seem real

and music press isn't into shoegaze anymore

we need a band that feels completely disconnected from the 90s/00s styles and sounds completely modern

like a sweet trip for 2017 that's willing to tour for the next 10 years non stop

2018*

Do you think we need something like R&Bgaze for a revival or what new thing is going to finally spark the kindle that's been building for a while.
Metal has already been experimenting with it

man this is like the only general where we worry about the popularity of the shit we're into

tying to formulate a comeback

it's cool but it's funny

Will this ever be topped?

yes
there needs to be satanic shoegaze to appeal to a broader audience

Any shoegaze that utilizes trumpets or any sort of ska influence? i've been looking for something like that

just wanna let you guys know I'm about to see spiritualized play pic related in its entirety

lol
man id like to see someone try but i don't know