Vegan thread got me thinking, I'm fucking hungry

Vegan thread got me thinking, I'm fucking hungry.

I don't recall seeing a good cooking thread on here in a long time. So, what is Sup Forums cooking next?

Personally, I'm slowly becoming a brisket guy. There seems to be an art to it.

ITT: What's cooking and recipes. Also, advice for anons that aren't good at cooking.

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Recipe with brisket:

Trim as much fat as you can off the top of the brisket, leaving the fat cap on the bottom. Make sure to take off that huge chunk of fat off the point because it won't render.

Inject with beef broth
Season liberally with 50/50 salt and black pepper
Let rest for 1 hour
Cook at 250 for 1-1.5 hours per lb.
At 160-ish, place brisket in aluminum pan with foil cover, pour remaining beef broth in pan.
Cook until 203 then pull.
Let rest in cooler for 1 hour. Pour liquid through fat separator for later.
Remove flat from point, cut point into 1" by 1" cubes. Pour liquid from cook and favorite barbecue sauce into a separate pan, place back in cooker for burnt ends.

Bump.

whatever but keep in mind:

vegans because of morality: many feelings, missionaries, not necessarily health aware

vegans because of health: want to live long and healthy, mostly not missionaries, much more logical than emotional

i myself am a vegan and don't give a f about animals. I just want the huge health benefits that's all. fuck animals

You need a good grill. Get a pellet stove from Camp Chef. it will change your life.

vegans life spans are shorter than meat eaters. do some fucking research before you make life altering decisions. asshat

Fair. I respect vegans viewpoint. I'm not barging into their vegan restaurants demanding they sell steak. By all means, I can cook a vegan meal on my grill.

However, I've done the vegan thing. I learned that I'm a carnivore. I operate much better on meat than I do vegan diet. I'm even better on just fish and chicken vs vegan.

I just wanted a thread were we can share cooking ideas and give advice to anons that weren't taught how to cook.

And guess what? Vegans are welcome to share here as well.

Agreed. I'm a fan of Traeger personally. Green Mountain has a good product too.

ya that’d be or propaganda

you are the dairy and meat industries little bitch and you’re too stupid to not be psychologically manipulated or give up your habits that you only inherited because of tradition.. enjoy your heart disease and every other ailment faggot

Sorry, meant

So, as a vegan. What's your favorite vegan thing to eat and how do you prepare it?

im not familiar with research but if that's the case I guess that's because 1) vegans don't necessarily eat healthy 2) It's definitely harder to get all the nutrition correct in the beginning as a vegan.

I've been cooking a lot of salmon lately, and it seems like the more I do it the less satisfied I am with the results. When I started, it tasted and felt great; now it's all over the place. Not sure if I'm getting worse or just starting to notice the actual quality of the meal more.

Anyone got any good salmon recipes they like? Been doing an orange glaze salmon that's pretty killer.

No the one you're replying to buy I eat almost everything raw. Sometimes I cook beans or lentils without anything. no salt no anything.

>inject

stopped right there

read "How Not to Die" by Dr Greger. Tons of research contradicting your point

See, I'm on a 3 week vegan cleanse diet right now. I've done both red beans and lintels in the last week and I need them spicy to enjoy them. I can't eat that much raw. I need it cooked with some flavor.

Salt, Pepper, Post Oak and time.

Orange glaze isn't bad at all. I can't remember the brand but there's someone out there that makes a peach bbq glaze that is fucking fantastic.

Personally with salmon, I like it hot. So cajun, cumin, etc. But then again, I like to put a bbq spin on almost everything I cook.

Traeger has a fin and feather dry rub that I've been hearing good things about. Think I'm going to give it a shot.

anything. There is an alternative to any non-vegan food, just search a recipe for whatever you like and add vegan to the end. Try a good vegan pizza with cashew milk cheese and you will hardly notice a difference. Same user from another thread that used to eat sashimi salmon by the pound and a gallon of milk per day. If I made the switch then so can you. It’s no more difficult to gain muscle and so much easier to lose fat. It takes a little will power to get through a month but after that it’s easy as fuck to not eat anything with dairy, eggs, etc. I still eat cheese all the time, there’s multiple good alternatives, it’s not stimulating the same receptors in my brain that real cheese and heroin do

I've cooked without injecting, I just like the flavor with injection.

Valid. I've really been digging hickory/oak blend lately.

Vegans are subhuman fleshbags that need to be put in the next batch of soylent green.

just use a brine of salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. get rid of the sugar and enjoy the real flavor of the salmon

user, you seem to think I want to convert. I don't. I have no desire to be a vegan. It interests me, but then again so does cooking other foods. I'm 6', 200lbs. You can be vegan all you like. I enjoy being a carnivore.

You forgot the lemon juice, and added too much crap. Salt. Lemon. Fire. that's it.

I've done spicy a few times. Cajun is a personal favorite; shit is just too good. I always give it that fucking centimeter thick bark, for some reason with that flavor I like the consistency to be really dry, almost like jerky.

Other thing I do a fair amount is grouper; just hit it with a bunch of pepper and lemon, over some rice and fried brussel sprouts. Perfect meal.

>planet is dying
>animal agriculture is the most unsustainable industry in the world
>you could feed the entire world twice over but instead we feed that food to cattle
>again, allowing yourself to manipulated by years and billions of dollars of propoganda suggesting meat and dairy are good for you

ya not a life for me but have a blast

No one gives a fuck faggot.

Good for me?! Who gives a shit? Tasty!

I'll do it that way when I get really fresh, awesome salmon, but the majority of the time money's too tight to splurge on that wild caught good good shit.

Definitely the way to go for when the quality of the fish is there though.

>If I repeat myths people will believe me

>again, allowing yourself to manipulated by years and billions of dollars of propoganda suggesting meat and dairy are good for you
I'd say it's a pretty safe bet when our ancestors ate meat before it was "propaganda".

>Duurrr there is no such thing as balanced eating
How big of a faggot are you?

that’s cool that you think that, again I suggest you look at some science. Our ancestors did a lot of shit that I would never. I’ve seen lifelong meat eaters and I’ve seen lifelong vegans, vegans always look 25 years younger

I do that with mahi, really damn good. Agreed.

Have you ever thought that people like you are the reason the world hates vegans so much? Here I am asking for you to share vegan recipes and all you wanna do is bitch about the fact I'm not a vegan.

Seriously consider that, user. The reason you're not converting more people to veganism, is the reason that people broke away from the Roman Catholic Church. And I'm not about to staple 95 thesis on this thread.

Ease up and talk to people. Don't bash them with your ideology.

Not by a country mile, chief.

Vegans look malnourished.

I'd rather be this guy for 30 years and have a fucking blast eating whatever the fuck makes me happy than live for 90 years eating weeds and drinking water.

Learn to accept that people value different things than you or accept that you will be angry for the rest of your life bud. Certainly doesn't matter to us.

thinking you can’t get the exact same nutrients from plants

I’m not going to do something that google can do for you. I’m not your personal servant and I’m sick of 98% of the world being too dumb and lacking the willpower to make a simple insignificant change that would make this a better world for everyone. Evidence and information are what converted me, hard cold facts, not fluff, I was nice to begin with

Again, if you think you have to eat weeds you’re a super shitty cook

Sure kid

Those are a bunch of words, but together they make no sense.

user, you're proving my point with every post. I wasn't demanding you post recipes. It was meant to be a friendly conversation about foods that each other likes. You're the one that's turned hostile. I can google or cook vegan meals all day long and I don't need your SJW mentality or anger to do so. I have cook books at home of BBQ, Paleo, Vegan, Keto, Etc, strictly because I enjoy cooking.

What I'm trying to tell you is fucking relax. We're all being nice here and having a good conversation, except you.

If you're unhappy here, might I suggest the red "X" at the top right of your screen.

Again, if you think this is about the food, you're missing the point completely.

I've only ever tried mahi once and found it to be kind of like an overpriced swordfish to be honest. That was a while ago, don't remember how I cooked it; probably just me fucking it up.

Have you ever tried salmon scrambled eggs? My landlady in England taught me when I lived there for a while, you just makes really creamy runny scrambled eggs and mix in peas and chunked up salmon, shit is GODLY.

you’re a tard this was my first post and I was not hostile, replies are, stop

>you're a tard
>not hostile

GARLIC BUTTER HERB PRIME RIB

lic Butter Herb Prime Rib

Prep time
5 mins
Cook time
1 hour
Total time
1 hour 5 mins

Ingredients

2-6 pounds bone prime rib (boned and tied)
1 cup butter, softened
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon thyme, finely chopped
1 Tablespoon oregano, finely chopped
1 Tablespoon rosemary, finely chopped
1 Tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

Instructions

Remove the prime rib from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before to bring it to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
In a small bowl mix butter, garlic, thyme, oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper. Rub all of the butter on the outside of your prime rib and plave in a roasting pan or large skillet with the fat side up.
Cook for 15 minutes and reduce the temperature to 325 degrees. It is about 15 minutes per pound of meat. Bake until it reaches an internal temperature of 110 degrees.
Remove from oven and let it rest with foil for at least 20 minutes. The temperature will rise to 130 degrees for a medium rare prime rib.

I have not tried that and you have my attention.

Have you ever done Halibut?

Fishy, fishy, fishy, fish.

OK. Let's dissect this.

If was not you...

Then why the fuck are you replying to

Shitz. Gigglez. Etz.

Gordon Ramsay does his steaks similar to this but on a cast iron flat top. Freaking delicious.

>Remove the prime rib from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before to bring it to room temperature.
I want to go on a killing rampage whenever I see this.

Done a few pieces fried with lemon, not bad at all.
Generally prefer cod for frying though. I do a rice tempura batter fried cod with a shitload of cayenne in the batter; make fish tacos with it. Just throw it on a corn tortilla with some slaw, SO good.

*slow clap*

user did you know that you sear the steak to lock in the juices?!

Why?

Because it is complete bullshit.

Cowboy Casserole

Total Time: 0:40

Prep: 0:15
Level: Easy
Serves: 8-10 Servings
Ingredients

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
2 c. frozen corn, defrosted
2 c. canned diced tomatoes
1/3 c. sour cream
1 1/2 c. cheese, divided
kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 bags (16 oz) frozen tater tots
1 tbsp. Chopped parsley, for garnish
optional: Add in a can of cream of mushroom soup to the beef mix

Directions

Preheat oven to 375.
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions and cook until soft and slightly translucent. Next, add beef. When it is no longer pink, drain some of the fat and push meat and onions to outer edge of skillet. Add, garlic, chili powder and cumin. Stir and cook until garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Add corn, tomatoes, sour cream and 1 cup cheese. Cook, stirring regularly, until cheese is melted and sour cream is incorporated. Season with salt and pepper.
Pour mixture into a 9x13 baking dish. Top with tater tots and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and tater tots are golden.
Garnish with parsley and serve.

I know that idiots think that. I know that science says, uh, no.

because resting a steak for 30 minutes will raise its temp at the center by maybe 3 or 4 degrees.
also it doesn't fucking matter because the amount of energy it takes to brown a steak is MASSIVE compared to the energy it takes to bring it up to room temp. like orders of magnitude greater.

Sounds like pretty nice comfort food for a cold day.

And that makes you want to kill people. Mmmkay.

?

>"oh vegans are so fucking pushy with their agenda; like what the the fuck I mean its my freedom of choice to kill another sentient being just for the pleasure of my taste buds. If you want me to stop being a hypothetical, dumb piece of shit BE NICE TO ME."

every "open minded" meat eater

fuck off will you and btw have fun with your cancer, early death and erectile dysfunction

I will eat you.

Stay mad kid

>thinks living longer is a win

sorry I'm not that guy, just wanted to give some answers

at most it makes me mildly annoyed.
Good article explaining why it''s a dumb idea, as well as some other steak myths: seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

Hey, I've got one of these t-shirts.

OK, user. You've proven you've got less personality than the brick wall I'm sitting next to. You're clearly a blast a parties and must be loved by all you come in contact with. Have a good day.

Where'd you get it from? I wouldn't mind having one.

Yeah and you don't sound like you're influenced by propaganda at all.

You believe anything they say. Good job.

the only reason all of you faggots here are depressed, have anxiety, acne and are just plain ugly is because of your poor lifestyle choices, particular your diet.

You eat like shit, you think and feel like shit.

Interestingly enough, I learned that a cryo-vac'd brisket still tastes perfect if frozen for 1.5 years.

You've yet to prove anything you assert.

A what to the what? Explain this please.

relax friend. there is no need for snarkasm.

This guy gets it

>Not depressed
>No anxiety
>Never had acne my entire life

Try again

The reason for warming to room temp is not to cook it faster, but you're right you should leave meat out for longer.

Here is a 14.5 lb prime rib roast I made for Xmas day

Philly Cheesesteak Casserole

Total Time: 0:40
Prep: 0:10
Level: Easy
Serves: 6 Servings
Ingredients

4 hoagie rolls
4 tbsp. melted butter
2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
1 onion, sliced
2 bell peppers, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 lb. sirloin steak, sliced into strips
kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
8 slices provolone
Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish

Directions

Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a large casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Cut hoagie rolls into thick 1” cubes and toss with melted butter. Transfer to prepared casserole dish and bake until lightly golden, about 10 minutes.
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add onion and peppers and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender. Stir in garlic and cook untitled fragrant, about 1 minute, then transfer mixture to a bowl.
Turn heat up to medium-high and heat remaining tablespoon of olive oil then add steak in a single layer, working in batches if necessary. Season generously with salt and pepper and let sear until the bottom is dark. Flip, then sear the other side. Add the vegetables back to the skillet and stir in Worcestershire sauce. Check for seasonings and remove from heat.
Add meat and vegetable mixture to the casserole dish and toss gently with the toasted hoagie cubes. Top with provolone cheese and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 10 minutes.
Garnish with parsley and serve warm.

Slathered it in an herbed butter concoction I whipped up.

Today I made a vegan Bolognese from TVP.
Simple Bolognese like base with onions, carrots, garlic and a bit of celery root sauted in olive oil added TVP which has been sitting in a mix of hot water tamari, Worcestershire, and a bay leaf than the liquid has been squeezed out of it. Also added a can of kidney beans for more protein. Dumped about 3 to 4 cups of tomatoe sauce on that sucker. Seasoned it with oregano, basil, salt pepper, a dash of hickory smoked salt (no farting in public for me tomorrow) and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. Ate it with red lentil pasta for even more protein because fucking protein!

Than I prepared mung Bean falafel for tomorrow and put it in the fridge.

Now it's evening and I'm lazy so:
Right now I'm cooking pangasius seasoned with thyme, garlic powder, pepper, salt and hickory smoked salt (because why not add injury to insult if I go all stinky. Plus that shit tastes fucking premium!) Than whole thing bakes in the oven at about 200C° for 10 mins on olive oil together with diced salted sweet potatoes.

Nice thread btw OP.

Little hesitant on that discoloring towards the top. How did it turn out? Can never go wrong with butter and black pepper.

>yeah and my grandpa smokes 5 fucking boxes of cigarettes everyday and yet he is still alive getting 100 years old next week

I really don't have to explain to you why your stupid do I

I made chili last night. Beefy, beefy goodness, with jalapenos, serranos, habaneros, etc. Can't wait to die a week or two sooner than some vegan fag.

it's to cook it more evenly I know, but honestly that degree of detail just doesn't matter 99% of the time. most people will never be able to taste the difference; and if you're worried about even cooking you can just sous-vide it, or use the oven. I finish steaks in the oven all the time; great way to ensure they're not over-done

Set the oven to 500, put it in for 5 minutes per pound (72 minutes), then turn off the oven and let it sit for two hours in the oven. Do not open the door!!! Here are the results

Perfectly done

Not going to lie, sounds delicious user.

And thank you, for being a vegan that understands what I was shooting for in this thread.

Speaking of smoked salt, how is it compared to regular sea salt? I've got a smoker, never thought of smoking it. I've seen chef's use smoked paprika, but never heard of the salt before.

You're*

I think he was talking about ownership of stupid.

sounds fucking great.
any thoughts on TVP vs Seitan? Never tried TVP, actually really liked seitan the one time I had it.