Anyone ever built a container house like this or lived in one...

Anyone ever built a container house like this or lived in one? I plan on building one like this and from what I've seen and heard (from coworker who built one), it shouldn't cost more than 15-17K$CAD for something similar to this.

I already made a plan for the interior of one (20ft version) and I like it quite a lot. Perfect size for me. Sorry for shitty angle.

Other urls found in this thread:

homedepot.ca/en/home/p.advantage-11-kw-whole-home-electric-tankless-water-heater.1000841436.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Will you have enough space in it to hang yourself?

Jokes aside I would try living in one of these.

A large one was recently built near me. Around 2500 Sq ft with really high end features. I think it cost around 400 with the land, which was about 250 less than a traditional house would have been.

I'm curious about your plans,
do you just plop it on the ground or lay cement pad to keep it all level?
How do you get water and sewer lines into this?
I don't see a water heater in there.
what are you going to do about the container doors?
are you planing on insulating this? because those fuckers will get hot in summer and cold in winter

Why an oven with four plates if there is not even enough space for essential kitchen utilities and no space to prepare food at all? Small apartments are one thing, but this one I consider impractical.

this

>foundation
Basically dig a hole for the cement, insert metal rods and wield them to the container from what I've read online on the methods
>Water and sewer lines
Honestly I would imagine I'd have to contact the city and they would place the lines before putting the foundation? Need to do more research
>Water heater
I would probably do a small extension to the house so there would be a water heater + breaker cable. Thanks for reminding me.
>Container doors
I would shut them forever I guess? I wouldn't need them anyway.
>Insulation
Inside wall -> Closed-cell foam spray -> Insulating sheets -> metal wall -> insulating sheets -> exterior wood so it doesnt look like shit

I definitely have to plan it more, but that's basically it. What do you think?

Wielded to something like this

This isn't final or anything. I made this so I have a general idea of how it will look like. I wanted to have a countertop with a cooktop but I had difficulties with the program so made this instead. I would make the kitchen smaller than this. I'd also probably have "mini" fridge so I can put the microwave on top.

utility company would put the line to the meter, not the city. Everything past the meter is your problem, and they'll want to charge you for the meter, lines to the meters and the labor to put them in. I had to have power brought in, and it wasn't cheap.

doors could possibly leak or otherwise cause problems, but I guess spray foam would seal that up.

Interesting concept, but I think I'd go for a little bigger container

Yeah I'll check how much it would cost me for a 40ft container, or two 20ft container so it's 16ft x 20ft. That way, I have a bit more space to do what I want. And yeah I meant utility company not city.

I'd get rid of the bedroom door and wall it's pretty useless in this case, also you could just installa tankless water heater they're small enough to where you could probably place it on top of the shower. Either that or build a small utility room on top of the container, sorta like an attic

I forgot about the permits, they wanted a permit for the line to the meter/meter, and then the line to the building(my meter wasn't on the side of the building), and a permit for the inside of the building.

Still have to pay for plumbing, so tack another 5k on that, unless you want a pit toilet in your house.

port o potty lol

Small utility room on top of the container, accessed from the outside? Or a trap door from the inside? In any case, that's a very good idea.
Good thing I asked. Forgot about permits and so on.
Plumbing-wise I'll see after I'm actually done with the plan of the house.

>Small utility room on top of the container, accessed from the outside? Or a trap door from the inside? In any case, that's a very good idea.

I'd put it inside. I went to Lowes the other day and found those ladder doors for the attics for like 100 bucks. tankless water heater will run you like 2-2.5k though

Wouldn't it be better to have a small tank then? Considerably cheaper, like half or even less. I'd make room in the bathroom or something, or make a closed closet and put it there.

Permits suck ass, nickel and dime you to death, permit for this and permit for that, but for most part the inspectors were nice guys.

this tankless is nice, but pricey, if you can find the room a 30 gallon electric it'll work great for your needs.

you have no room though. The only way I see it working is if you put a sliding door to the bathroom and place a TANKLESS water heater next to the fridge

he could just put it on the outside of the building in a little lean-to or something like that

he could but I don't like the idea of having something expensive and essential outside in the elements. If you build an attic it'll give you a place to put water heater, circuit breaker, etc.

I'll look into 40ft containers then. One utility room at the far end of the house where there'll be the breaker, the water tank and whatever. Also, I saw on Home Depot that there's 11KW tankless water heater. Would it work? homedepot.ca/en/home/p.advantage-11-kw-whole-home-electric-tankless-water-heater.1000841436.html

Or I could go with a regular 40 galon electric water heater for like 350$. 9 years warranty and seems more reliable.

Why not just buy a trailer? My sis got a nice double-wide for like 10k. Plenty of room, seems pretty nice.

Where do you keep clothes, food, paperwork and any other shit that you enjoy?

>homedepot.ca/en/home/p.advantage-11-kw-whole-home-electric-tankless-water-heater.1000841436.html

I've heard some smaller tankless units will only heat to like +50F, so if your water comes out of the ground at 50F then your talking like 100F out of the unit. I have very little knowledge about them though.

I want a permanent residence so I can sell later.
Hence why I'll probably use 40ft container as base since more room. Separate bedroom, kitchen, living room, toilet.

I had a friend who lived in one of these. Very comfy and relaxing if you're into this sort of minimalist living. I would do it if I wasn't married with kids.

Your design is flawed, though. Assuming you work out all the kinks for plumbing, insulation, water heater, etc, etc, you're still missing a storage closet for boxes, backups, etc.

And there's no point in having a stove top and oven if you don't even have 1 kitchen counter. Seriously, where do you plan on placing your dishes to let them dry after washing? That's also probably not enough cupboard/drawer space for pots, pans, bowls, plates, and cups. While we're in the kitchen, do you really want your computer to be so close to the fridge? You're constantly going to hear the humming of the refrigerator's cycles behind you while you're fapping or surfing the web or listening to music.

I prefer built-in closets to armoires, but that's just a preference thing. Where's your tv going to go for watching blu-ray movies or playing PS4 exclusives?

he was limited by the tool he had, the kitchen was suppose to be bigger.

In a place so small you're basically shut out the possibility of any hobbies.

You'll might often find yourself lacking adequate space to:
utilize a 3D printer
do maintenance work on a bicycle
possibly exercise
build anything

Even an empty 8x8 room can be separate "workshop" area in case you ever develop any new hobbies or skills.

OP just watch Tiny House videos on YouTube. Super entertaining, pretty cool stuff.

Get three 20ft containers so you can have a more open bottom floor and an upstairs with an outside sitting area, covered or uncovered. Something like the image.

this guy gets it. second hand containers are cheap as FUCK. go wild with 3 40fts and live like a king. if I had the land id definitley be into this, even another container underground would be cool as a basement.

How will you wash your clothes

Guys, OP here. I was AFK but as I came back I read everything. What I'll do is relatively simple now. I'll remake the plan but using a 40 foot container as a base. I don't want to go too big since I want to keep cost to a minimum + I won't live there forever, perhaps 5-6 years and sell it. I'll remake plan now.

are you that guy from /biz/?

yes. the guy that wants to go from 1k-2k to 50k? who posted this image?

yesss i see you

Also take a highcube, or optionally a 45 feet. They are mostly highcube and 5 cm more wide. Did you think about solar heated water?

I'll have to look into solar heated water, but I'd rather stick with electric water heater since I live in Quebec and electricity is pretty cheap. Doing the plan right now, already feels better since there's considerably more space. And yeah will 100% take high cube.

bump and also, this is the first thread I've seen in years that doesn't have people calling each other nigger, it's kind of amazing.

sounds kinda neat but having no space to do anything sounds fucking awful, gl m8

Here's an updated plan. 40ft container instead of 20ft so more room. Still placing stuff though.

Also surprised by how civilized everyone is. feelsgoodman

No oven?

Should move the water heater to in between the kitchen and bathroom, shorter plumbing runs. Having the cabinet that deep will make it a pain in the ass to install too, but on the up side you could use the extra space as a closet.

Might want to move the sink away from the wall, you'll be running into the wall when you do dishes, plus you'll have to put a backsplash on that side wall, which would probably look stupid.

Might be a better use of space if you turned the bed

I don't need an oven. Never used in years. Cooktop is enough for me. MAYBE I will get one but I'd rather stick to that.

I'll take a nap and post update later tonight. Thanks for the tips by the way. Extremely appreciated! :)

what program is this?

Ohh yeah I forgot, the toilet vent is a 3 to 4 inch pipe up that wall, so might have to have that wall little thicker, dunno not really a plumber.

Bump for more. You can also take a reefer, no need for thinking about insulation and heating ^^

Using home.by.me, website. Pretty nice tbh.

Also plan so far.

np dude it's been interesting

Just take a cheap ventilator inside the roof

Construction worker. 4" fart fan vents out the eve through the ceiling. You will need room for a 2" waste line though. Is there a crawl space or is it slab?

Definitely better, but I would put the kitchen together with the living space. More open concept

How do you get internet there?

Also to comply with 2014 energy codes you must keep everything in the thermal envelope and install a make up air if you have a decent sized kitchen hood

Basically
| bedroom | toilet | boiler | kitchen with living room together?

I'll try ask construction workers how it works for waste + water + electricity + internet/phone

Wait...what about a living room? or a table to eat off of?

Basically it would have to look similar to this to be optimal? It doesn't have a water boiler room but still the general idea.

You will either need space above or below. Below if preferable for plumbing. I would go with a VRF minisplit system for heat/cool, depending on location though. You'll also need to insulate it too and I think code is R16

yes
would put the kitchen against the bathroom, bcs plumbing

Just make sure you go with a cable service, sat and wireless is alright for literally the middle of nowhere, but if you're close to an urban area go with cable.

Yes and no. They can share a bay for space but black and grey water don't use the same pipe

Would put the plumbing inside the concrete base. Maybe even insulation under the concrete, depending if you have cold winters

Who needs a table when you have a battlestation?

yeah what I was thinking since less plumbing this way. as for heating, heating will be electric + A/C will be the wall mounted ones.

but it only seats one person. What if you have someone else over?

it is extremely fucking cold in quebec so yeah, will insulate inside/outside and under. foundation will be concrete with the container wielded to rods inside the concrete.

Deposit inside bed

Personally is get 2 of them in an L design.
If I'm gonna do it I'd do it with plenty of size. I mean 40k for a home wouldn't be bad and it would be small enough half an acre of land would be plenty

You don't insulate under the concrete pour, just the perimeter. And you would be amazed the difference 2" of foam makes on a slab

This kind of kitchen would be enough?

That's called a "minisplit". You'll need 220VAC for it. Luckily the new ones are so efficient they can put out heat down to -20°f. But emergency strip heat is a good idea

Alright, does this make more sense? I really have to nap I'm fucking dying

it wouln´t even cost double cause its not like you´re making two bathrooms/kitchens/bedrooms etc. everything would just be more spacious. maybe it would cost like 30-35k.

noice

I used Sweetheart3d to model my ideal small campervan. Our country strictly prohibits dwelling in something that doesn't have all of the fucking licenses and permits and whatshitever.

You may wanna consider a propane or oil tank then too

this looks fucking awful. you invite your friends over, where do they go? maybe if you have no friends

yeah much better. only gripe is the location of the dinning table

Wait, why? As far as I know, electricity is by far the most used for everything in Quebec due to how cheap it is. It's literally 5¢USD per kWh, so.

Would combine desk with dinner table probably. Just take a laptop

niggers can fuck off i dont have any friends that come over so i genuinely dont care

pleb

yeah well I guess it's there just in case. 99% of the time I'd eat on my desk though. i'll post more tonight cause FUCK I NEED SLEEP

reminder that 20ft or 40ft container are used as foundation for the house, so the house has to have a rectangle/square shape.

its just inspo for ideas, thats all

this is something i'd actually do. i'm 100% fine with being extremely confined

Well good night then, I'm out of ideas now. But I still think it's an interesting concept. Also thought about it before, but it's much easier to buy a house, not cheaper though

ive done this before and holy fuck does it make you go a little stir crazy