Is user an actor??

Share your stories, is it rough when starting out? How shitty is the industry? Are unions bullshit?

Are you happy?

I am not one but I got into an argument with indie filmmakers being upset that most young/inexperienced actors don't like working for free.

>Are you an actor?
>Are you happy?

No but i often act as if i was happy, does that count?

Dane Dehaan might be here if your lucky.

And Dane, we all know you're here so you might as well just post a timestamp and answer user's questions.

When I was a kid, the local teacher's union paid me $2000 for five seconds of acting with no spoken lines in a commercial lobbying for higher pay

What bunch of morons

Whattttttttt? They gave you a good deal.

>shot first scene for a local indie production, mostly improv stuff no direction
>gonna be shown in local theaters, widespread DVD release
>director asked me to be the star of a spin-off they're doing
>doing a horror short with another film buddy and starting our own production group
>tight direction, full-cast readthroughs every week

I'm just "starting out" but I fucking love it.

I did all the plays and musicals in high school. Had a ton of fun, made some awesome friends, and got my dick touched on the reg. Gonna make sure my kids do drama in addition to the sports and academic stuff.

To be fair, they also printed out my picture and used it on posters that were distributed all throughout the province so some of that 2k was royalties from the posters

Kind of odd that they chose me since I had one of the smallest parts in the commercial

I 'acted' in some silent, short-film that a friend did for a film-course.

What I discovered is that, even on a short piece with only three or four characters, acting mostly seems to consist of sitting round waiting to actually shoot.

NYC area? Looking for cast/crew for a project

Sorry m8, I'm in sad ole Tampa

You're going to make it user. We're all going to do it.

Oh that would be incredible, I have my fingers crossed.

Yeah its ridiculous these people think they can get away with this shit. I get the feeling they would have second thoughts if they had to hire a kid. (Actually I think they are legally required to pay a child actor, I might be wrong though)

My family members have been extras in movies

My dad was an extra in a boy and his dog as a band member

Cousins were extras in Michael bay's pearl harbor

Being an extra sounds comfy af

not an actor but i work in the industry

it's laughably over-paid

>is it rough when starting out
Depends where you start. Just go to the theatre.

>how shitty is the industry
Depends on the country. They're usually always "unfair" in your eyes, most of the times.

>are unions bullshit
fuck no

>are you happy
Yes. Because I'm not an actor.

They live an interesting life, but I rather direct them than act myself, even though I do so out of necessity as well (but then direct myself, too).
Most directors fuck your shit up, it's something I can't deal with as I need full control.

that's all I'm going to say.

As tv/film actors, what do you think makes for good direction by a director and allows for great acting?

A girl I know was in the "starting out" stage like 3 years ago, she has only done a couple shorts and a couple commercials since then I think. One of the commercials was about a Dwayne Johnson project though.

>filmed speaking and action scene for popular tv series
>Got cut
Glad I didn't tell anyone to watch it ,didn't find out until I watch

Like Joey in that Friends episode. What series was it?

I've been a 'professional' since the beginning of June. Got a couple of parts, mostly small, non-speaking roles.

I can tell you, at least in Bongland, that it's pretty rough. I've got six years of acting experience under my belt and I'm signed to a couple of agencies, but you have to have more than just a wide array of roles to your name.

You need something unique. Whether it's your voice, your height, your eyes, whatever. Something that helps you stand out from the other desperate hopefuls.

The key to it all, however, is persistence. Get your name out there. Get some proper photos taken in a studio. Sell yourself to these people, even if you have zero fucking confidence, 'cos I know I do, except when I'm acting.