Why is liking indie rock frowned upon in Sup Forums?

Why is liking indie rock frowned upon in Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bHXaoonjmfI
youtube.com/watch?v=B_wM524-IvQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because it's a boring, contrived, oversaturated genre. There's good indie rock out there but so much of it is terrible. It's kinda like rap.

People who exclusively listen to indie are the kind of people that worship mediocrity for the sake of never leaving their comfort zone. Branch out ffs.

most indie is just commercialized post punk. not commercialized in the sense that all of them got rich, commercialized in the sense that they were all trying to be recognized as an "indie" band.

really think about what the good indie bands are. can you describe them as another genre that they helped establish? then they're not really indie. But bands like White Stripes or Speedy Ortiz? absolutely disgusting

because it's for pathetic beta nu-male cucks

It's a genre for numales and reddit faggots.

music is fashion. indie rock is like the converse of music

drake pls go

/thread

Because it's over. It's dead.
NOT liking indie rock in like 2010-2014 was frowned upon here, now it's expected

Sup Forums hates white people

A genre being dead is not correlated to if people can like it or not. Jazz is dead, prog is dead, doesn't mean that people can't still listen to when it was good

indie rock isn't good on its own when it has nothing to do with our current culture crisis.
jazz and prog have made classic albums that transcend all generations. indie doesn't have that

You're retarded, music doesn't have to be connected to culture or transcend generations to be good.

Rap isn't a genre though.

because most people on mu don't play or understand music in any way, shape, or form, and cannot recognize when indie rock songs are just some "cool" sounding pedals, Barre chords, and a major scale, and are then being marketed through their presentation/fashion/branding rather than the music itself.

there is nothing wrong with simple music, but when people try so hard to be "indie" as opposed to "mainstream", it's a tell tale sign that they are only listening to music as a way to define their image, rather than a genuine enjoyment.

pick up piano and learn to play "Everything In It's Right Place" by Radiohead. Pick up guitar and learn how to play "Blackbird" by the Beatles. Then go learn your favorite indie rock song and really take in how stale it actually is.

that's not to say there isn't exceptions, and indie rock music can't be interesting or fresh, or even that the simplest songs can't be fun to listen to with the right structure, or cool effects. sometimes music is fun because of the image that comes along with it. And all of that is okay. But we cannot shape our identity around being "underground" when we understand nothing of what is going on musically and culturally.

>my normative conception of how music should be is the only correct one!

Sup Forums isn’t even good as a hipster base. There are no scenes on Sup Forums, no regional flair, just all of music slumped under the vague “mucore” banner as if that gives it some sort of legitimacy.

was pavement supposed to be a good reason for indie rock?
i hope not

post your top 10

Why is liking music frowned upon in Sup Forums?

Stop callin albums indie rock and give it actual genre. Indie Is just a dumb umbrella term like "alternative"
"indie" is just a broad term used for music that isn't immediately mainstream. Some bands don't even call themselves indie but get lumped in there cuz it's not on the Top 40

No meme shit, user to user, if you don't like Pavement you have seriously shit taste in probably every artform/medium of entertainment you've ever explored

Yea but the difference is that when Sup Forums started jazz and prog were already looong dead. So it didn't affect the way people on Sup Forums percieved it. Indie rock on the other hand, Sup Forums was there for the rise and fall. They criclejerked indie rock at it's peak, when it was the hottest, hippest genre. So naturally with it's death, came the death of Sup Forums's love for it

Because people got tired of it and it got creatively stale

>prog is dead

pavement is good slacker pop. but comparing it to the best jazz and prog records. no pls come again and try harder next time.

don't have a top 10 would be too hard tbqh.

>your pavement thread got people saying they think the band is bad, so you had to make a new thread complaining that Sup Forums dislikes indie despite that not being the case

Fuck off OP

What you don't understand is prog and jazz try too hard to be good
indie rock is effortlessly good. Same with post punk and new wave.

This thread was up before the pavement one

I disagree but you've summed up indie rock really well. celebrating mediocrity is the new cool thing. so sure

This unironically killed indie rock

So, why exactly does more "technically advanced" music make for better art?

it isnt really tbqh

Indie rock is "celebrating mediocrity" the same way jazz and prog are "celebrating technical wankery". I think you care most about how skillful the music is. There's nothing wrong with that though it's just the subjectivity of it all.

there are barely any scenes in real life. punk in boston and chicago now is the same as it has been for the last 30 years...art scenes in cali/nyc are the same for the last 30 years...really if you're gonna talk about scenes you have to talk about the in-state touring circuits of bandcamp artists who most people are aware of by virtue of their clickability

>new cool thing
if you understood the roots of the movement you'd realize what a massive cocktard you sound like. it's not exclusively about making good music, it's about diy - the joy of making music, playing shows and caring about something. not all music has to be masterminded into existence. and btw, there's nothing effortless about most classic indie rock records, they just deliberately sound that way.

Shut the fuck up

Pitchfork prefers trap these days, so the Pitchfork people like to pretend they never liked indie except for those couple albums but those don't count.

you can't care about making good music?
no thats fine but i don't think all jazz or prog is technical wankery like you think
just listen to this album. youtube.com/watch?v=bHXaoonjmfI
still has the same "effortless" ability like you have of indie rock.

should probably link this song in particular youtube.com/watch?v=B_wM524-IvQ

I don't think jazz and prog are wankery, I like them both. I was saying that's a baseless overview of the genre like saying indie rock is celebrating mediocrity

fair enough. i like indie rock also

music is and always has been about feeling and mood...it's not a science just because it has notes just like literature isn't a science just because it has words

jesus christ the autism of this board sometimes

>I didn't read the post I responded to past the first paragraph!

It's boring, often pretentious despite being amateurish as shit, and the lyrics tend to be quite literally terrible attempts at poetry by pasty upper-middle class men, perhaps the worst type of lyricism besides the one found in hip-hop.

This is correct
I was an indie-head until i heard this album.

because it wasn't.

Honestly that could be said about anyone who listens to one genre exclusively

wait a few more weeks. you'll get them next time

can you direct me to more artists like Jorge Ben? you just opened up a whole new world for me, he's amazing.