I think drunk driving laws are too harsh

I think drunk driving laws are too harsh.

Where I live, it's up to 10 years in prison and $10k in fines. The mayor killed himself recently because of this.

And no, I don't think drunk driving is ok, I've never done it, and I never will. I just think that's a stupid, over the top punishment.

What do you think?

It's there to make money more than to keep people safe, same as speeding fines.

And vehicular deaths still jockey for the number one position with heart disease. DUI laws did more to cripple us socially than to keep anyone safe.

I don't see the big deal either. If someone is walking around drunk shooting a gun in random directions but never hits anyone or anything, why should that person be punished. Just because they could kill people doesn't mean they always will.

No it's not, wanna know why? take a look at my country where people are drunk driving constantly, it's there for the express purpose of stopping anyone. My country is russia.

The mayor killed himself because he thinks a law is too harsh? Sounds like you need more mentally stable representatives.

He killed himself because he was caught driving drunk.

But I would agree. Mental stability is severely lacking around here.

Mayor presumably got 10 years. Id off myself for less than that.

Shaking a baby doesn't always kill it, but that's still a pretty fucking good reason not to do that.

juan, where'd you go

Yep.

Studies seem to indicate that driving while tired or just being really old and driving at night are about the same risk for injuries/deaths. And I don't see the cops locking up the elderly or those who work second shift.

It's all about the dollars.

>And I don't see the cops locking up the elderly or those who work second shift.

If they see them swerving or other unsafe shit they sure as fuck will get pulled over and fined.

Well, yeah. But the baby will probably end up retarded. So that's a pretty good reason not to shake it.

Besides, driving a little bit buzzed is not the same as choosing to shake a baby. There's having an innocent person in your hands and choosing to do serious harm... and then there's being a little tipsy and not having the option to call an uber or whatever.

I don't think either are good decisions, obviously. But I think there's this OMG DRUNK DRIVERS!!!! hard-on that's just... too much vengeance and rage, and not enough reasonable thought.

In my state the fines are much smaller, with no jail time unless it's like your 3rd time
Everyone drives drunk because they don't give a fuck about the consequences

I agree, was trying to make the same point. Sarcasm is hard to execute well on internet.

Even still, some NFL player got a 17 day jail sentence for killing a guy while drinking and driving. Fucking joke the way the laws are applied sometimes.

Yeah, there should be a better system than everyone being above some limit is equal in breaking the law.

A large man with a couple of drinks might barely be over the limit wheras a small woman with one weak drink will be more smashed. Should the people that are 4 times the limit be punished the same as someone just barely above the limit?

There may be some judges that apply different sentencing, but my local judge doesn't care. I guess they use it as a general deterrent.

They've definitely gotten harder on drinking and driving laws, but it's because a lot of people can't handle being a little drunk while driving.

Also people who shouldn't be driving yet have a license may drink a bit and drive and just fuck everything up.

As of 2 yrs ago i ascertained a dwi. Fucked up my entire life and im still paying off fees. P.s im 24, and live in worse state to catch one, Ny.

Shit, around here, you can lose your license for even having beer in the car. You don't have to be drinking, just if it's in your car.

When I was in high school about ten years ago, a classmate got pulled over for a broken taillight or some shit. Her dad left some beer in the trunk. And she got some huge ass penalty for something that wasn't remotely her fault.

See, and that's not justice. That's just fucking you over.

Should you drive drunk? Obviously not. But should your life be ruined because of it? No!

Can't demonize being tired or old.

And I don't think that being drunk should be demonized either.

Made responsible for your actions? Sure. But straight up demonized? Fuck that. At some point it just becomes feel-good politics.

agree. everyone i know has one. limit needs raised from .08 to .20