Now that the dust has settled, which prequel trilogy was worse?

Now that the dust has settled, which prequel trilogy was worse?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2dQ5c5SIYnc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Star Wars, the unexpected journey was honestly not that bad and Ian mckellan and Martin freeman are definite pluses. Meanwhile Star Wars had worse acting and writing, bad characters, and all their films were dogshit

star wars
unexpected journey is a good adventure movie and so is the first half of smaug until they get out of the barrles

Star wars

Hobbit added a bunch of unecessary shit, but it was mostly random battles and filler characters. Star Wars butchered its own continuity so badly that a lot of things in the old films becomes absurd when you try to piece it together.

maybe it is recentism bias but i would say hobbit

it was just inherently flawed (for me anyway) in the context of the source material and lotr

movie lotr had its moments of lighthearted fun but largely it was a heroic fantasy epic just like the books

meanwhile hobbit failed to translate the fairy tale charm of the book, going for crazy and zany over the top action (moria cgi fest)

and at the same time it tried - but failed - to recreate the epic fantasy of lotr, trying to rely on 2cool4me spectacle (last battle)

now star wars had its awful moments (the kid, the contrived assassination plot, JAR JAR) but overall it was not as far off from the previous trilogy as hobbit

it was noticeably worse and it suffered from similar problems as hobbit in relation to lotr, just not to the same extent

from least shitty to most shitty:
star wars 3 > hobbit 1
star wars 1 > hobbit 3
star wars 2 = hobbit 2
Star wars wins

the hobbit

i havent even bothered to watch those reddit movies

Ewan McGregor rivals Hugo Weaving.

/thread

Star Wars.
because the Hobbit as bad as it is, hasnt actually done any damage to the Lord of the Rings.

the Star Wars prequels have destroyed Darth Vader, Boba Fett amongst other things.

Hobbit was worse.

Seen each one time and don't ever wanna watch them again. Prequels I still enjoy.

this

Star wars prequels by a mile

Definitely starwars
The hobbit wast't great, but it also didn't take a massive shit on the lore of the originals

The Hobbit trilogy was better than the Star Wars prequel trilogy.

the hobbit is far worse.

it took this fun little read and turned it into a cgi shit pile.

honestly the animated hobbit was better, at least it captured some of the charm of the book

I can't really decide, but since I'm more invested in LOTR I'd say The Hobbit is worse.

Hobbit was garbage all the way through and Star Wars had Sheev

i really enjoyed the first hobbit movie, while i didn't enjoy any of the star wars prequels

since my opinions are infallible as a frequenter of Sup Forums, it follows that star wars had unequivocally inferior prequels

dubs speaks truth

I watch AOTC any chance I get, like playing GTA SA

Boba Fett fapping was only due to EU. His role in the films is to look semi-menacing and dying like a bitch.
At least his father was the gene-mould for the most hardcore army in the galaxy and could stand his ground against a Jedi. That is something.

prequels have fucked star wars up.
they may be better movies than the hobbit but you can never watch the original star wars again without seeing that dickbag anakin under the darth vader costume.

Imagine being Christopher Tolkien in the cinema and having to be all like "damn, Peter Jackson, your fuckin' directing fine, all progressive with your elf warrior woman OC and horrific CGI Legolas brick jumping. I would totally have sex with you, both my father and me." when all he really wants to do is piece together another 60 year old manuscript in his study. Like seriously imagine having to be Christopher and not only sit in that chair while Jackson flaunts his disgusting original characters and plots in front of you, the CGI barely concealing that all the solders have the same face, and just sit there, scene after scene, hour after hour, while actors performed those lines. Not only having to tolerate this monstrous fucking visage but his haughty attitude as everyone on set tells him he's STILL GOT IT and DAMN, THE HOBBIT IN 48 FPS LOOKS LIKE *THAT*?? because they're not the ones who have to sit there and watch his fat fucking gremlin hands contort your fathers legacy into types of bullshit you didn't even know existed before that day. You've been doing nothing but reading a healthy diet of your fathers myths and songs and later alleged memes for your ENTIRE CAREER coming straight out of the boonies in England. You've never even seen anything this fucking disgusting before, and now you swear you can taste the parkinsons that's breaking out on Billy Connolies CGI face as Jackson phones it in to writhe it suggestively at you, smugly assured that you are enjoying the opportunity to get paid to sit there and revel in his "revolutionary" (for that is what he calls it) story, the story your father worked so hard on for decades ago. And then the studio calls for another extended cut, and you know you could kill every single person in this room before the cinema security could put you down, but you sit there and endure, because you're a fucking Tolkien. You're not going to tarnish your fathers work over this. Just bear it. Hide your face and bear it.

Star Wars prequels live on until this day.

The Hobbit trilogy is non-existent; they were more competently made movies & that's it. That's where it ends.

The whole Hobbit trilogy could have been one 2.5-3hr movie. I've watched a couple of fan edits but they're not very good either. I think I'll try and make a fan edit too. If anything just for my personal enjoyment.

Never fails to make me laugh.

just read the book, you can finish it in a few hours

honestly its one of the few i revisit every year, so much fun

Battle of the Five Armies is the shittiest movie I have seen in a long time, there's nothing worth saving about it.

So many memorable scenes
>FOR WARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
>CGI Sameface army
>Jumping over a pike wall
>Legolas brick jumping
>Gay OC romance subplot

animated hobbit is GOAT, one of the best OG soundtracks ever.

The Hobbit just for how forgettable it was.

Hobbit was an abortion

At least star wars had some pretty neat ideas even if they were a little off the wall

Frodo, did I ever tell you that your good friend legolas used to be my good friend too? We became friends after he and a she-elf he was in love with followed us to laketown after she became infatuated with one of my good dwarf friends. He also fought in The Battle of the Five Armies™ during which he grabbed onto a giant flying bat and single handedly slew an entire battalion of orcs, all while hanging upside down from said bat. He was a good friend.

This guy who wanders isn't lost.

Hobbit without even thinking. Did people seriously even watch the other 2? I saw the first one on HBO or some shit and fell asleep. Tried watching it again and finished it, but it was almost a chore. Literally no likable characters other than gandalf. Star wars was at least entertaining and interesting, hobbit just.. exists.
>inb4 star wars fan boy
The lotr trilogy will forever be my favorite saga.

the hobbit was an unnecessary cash grab of a history that its inferior to its original trilogy

the SW prequels were made by the creator of the franchise and tell a powerful (yet flawed) history.

Tolkien would have hates the hobbit movies, while the prequels were made exactly as George Lucas wanted to.

Here's how I'd judge it:

I'd much rather watch the SW prequels again than The Hobbit.

I've read the book twice, user. A very comfy read. But since someone has already made it into a film I'd like to have a comfy and enjoyable version to watch.

Well you're out of luck, even fan edits can't save The Hobbit In 48 FPS from its bloated, corpulent fate

The Hobbit, for one main reason. The Star Wars prequels were entirely new stories that were made from scratch.

The Hobbit is already a solid story written for them to adapt. They just did an absolutely awful job at it.

Still Star Wars. For all their faults, the Hobbit movies didn't do anything to destroy the mystique of Middle Earth. The Star Wars prequels actively took a big messy shit on their own source material, and what's worse, the original author was responsible for it. All of it.

At least you can laugh at the prequels.

The Hobbit is just bad and dull. Except for that one scene with Bilbo and Gollum. Rescue that and put it in the LotR series as a flashback or something.

The Hobbit by far.

The Hobbit

Prequels are so bad that theyre good. Also they are very memorable

Hobbit is just lazy and boring

I think the first episode of each trilogy was good.

The other two were action cgi garbage.

the hobbit

this is the correct answer

I can't even tell the Hobbit movies apart

Hobbit.
Anyone saying differently is literally retarded.

The first Hobbit movie was fine for the most part and Episode III would go into the OK category. Everything else from both trilogies is pure shit.
BUT, here is the biggest problem. At least the Prequel Trilogy to Star Wars WAS exactly that. It was a prequel series meant to give background to the original films. Whereas The Hobbit was treated as the Prequel to LOTR, but in reality LOTR is the Sequel to The Hobbit.
What do I mean by this? Well, in the LOTR films and books, they talk about things that happened to Bilbo and Frodo relates his experiences to Bilbo's. They tie in things from the past to things happening presently. Meanwhile, The Hobbit novel doesn't try to make tie into the LOTR books in any way because in order to do that the characters would basically need to have knowledge of the future. This is what I mean, The Hobbit movies sold the story as being the Prequel to LOTR, so they throw in Frodo and fixate on the ring and shove in a bunch of scenes taking place before The Fellowship of the Ring to try and tie the two trilogies together. This breaks the flow of the story and it really sells The Hobbit as something it was never intended to be. It makes The Hobbit into Part 1 of LOTR, when LOTR is actually part 2 of The Hobbit. If that makes sense.

star wars prequels are worse as movies but the hobbit trilogy is more offensive because of how it shits all over the source material. star wars has nothing to ruin but itself, but the hobbit movies piss all over tolkien's work, so even though they are better films, they piss me off much more

If you genuinely consider the hobbit movies to be nearly as bad as the prequels, you're retarded.
>AuJ: Pretty okay, Shire part is great and other parts are alright
>DoS: Mediocre, the stuff that wasn't in the books is kind of lame but Smaug and so on were nice
>BotFA: Bad, really bad. Small moments of good.

>TPM: Terrible, music's good but everything else is just bad
>AotC: Even worse than TPM
>RotS: Alright, many of the problems that plagued the other two still exist but there's more enjoyable stuff to counter that.

You could argue that what The Hobbit films did to source materials make them worse, but if we're looking at a purely objective level than the Prequels are far worse.

>objective level
I know we're not talking about set design, sound design, makeup, lighting or anything else to do with actual filmmaking.
If we were you'd realize that the Hobbits are absolutely worse than the Prequels.

Hobbit 1 and 2 were alot of fun.

Both movies barely had any sets at all and the lighting was pretty much all in post as well. Makeup and sound design are really up for debate, but you can literally see Ian McKellen's contacts in the movies. Honestly, the raw footage is fucking depressing as hell for both movies.

>Both movies barely had any sets at all
The prequels actually did have a lot of sets and miniatures.
They were just made to look like utter shit in post.

have you read the hobbit? Those films destroyed any sense of fun, wonder, and adventure.

They were painful to watch.

Go watch the 70s animated hobbit, or just listen to this song. This is the spirit of the book
youtube.com/watch?v=2dQ5c5SIYnc

The Hobbit trilogy was straight up unwatchable.

>RotS: Alright, many of the problems that plagued the other two still exist but there's more enjoyable stuff to counter that.
like fucking what, the absolute bore of the hour long battle? The terribly written edgefest?
RotS is easily the worst one

Has this faggot apologized for The Hobbit yet?

Christopher Tolkien is a tool

You mean those 200 pages of childish vague descriptions?

Yeah, I read it when I was 12. Then I read LOTR and they are like comparing Harry Potter to Dune.

The Hobbit films are Peter Jackson's colourful imagination making 200 pages into 6 hours of CGI.

I highly enjoyed the first 2. Didnt enjoy the 3rd at all.

As for the prequels. At least theyre better than Mary Sue Awakens.

>Go north. Find the Dunedain. There’s a young ranger amongst them. You should meet him. His father Arathorn was a good friend. His son might grow to be a great one. He is known in the wild as Strider. His true name... you must discover for yourself. Legolas! Your mother loved you.

>The prequels actually did have a lot of sets and miniatures.
>They were just made to look like utter shit in post.

Then what's the point of bringing them up? They still look like shit in the film, doesn't matter much what they looked like before hand.

whoops, wrong pic

Star wars didnt shit all over any source material

Both have laughably bad cgi but at least Star Wars looked good for its time.

Hobbit is definitely worse, hands down.

>hurr durr the prequels didn't have many sets at all
>they did, they just look like shit because of post-processing
>well why bring it up then?
Kill yourself.

You are just trolling if you honestly can't enjoy the Hobbit for what it is.

Reading it is a time machine, especially for a NEET who spends his days inside with no adventure.

>Then I read LOTR and they are like comparing Harry Potter to Dune.
The hobbit is well written, don't compare it to shit like harry potter.

Star wars at least is funny bad. The hobbit is just shit.

This.

Hobbit reboot when.

Your reading comprehension is terrible.

The Hobbit is like a beginner's guide to fantasy, which you give your 10 year old cousin for his birthday.

The hobbit is nostalgia and that feeling of adventure of reading fantasy for the first time.

HOWEVER... that does not mean that the Hobbit book is this magical grande opus, which makes the Jackson films shit.

I could read the Hobbit in 2 hours get back to you again.

What are you going on about? I never said the prequels didn't have many sets, that was some other user.

I couldn't choose really, I like rewatching all these six movies till no end I really do, yet they're insanely flawed and I roll my eyes throughout. Yet they're still entertaining as fuck to me.

mfw my fav nfs porsche unleashed

So what the fuck was the point of your post?
Seriously, fucking kill yourself.

Calm down man, I'm sorry someone insulted your shit movies.

The movies fail to capture the tone of the book completely. They borrowed the basic structure and added unnecessary fights and dragged it out over three movies.

They took a fun little story and turned it into a boring piece of shit and you are defending it?

Up until this point I was glad I managed to sit through most of the film. Then that line happened and I just turned it off.

Im defending my right to be entertained by the films, while simultaneously telling you that the book isnt even long enough to be anything more than "inspirational material" for the films.

Lotr is 1000 pages of Anglo-Saxon prose.

Hobbit is 200 pages of child-fantasy.

>Jackson dindu nuffin! It was Del Toro's fault for bailing out!
kys

prequels

as bad as the hobbit was it was the fault of the studios more than anything wheres with sw it was george and george alone

hackson isn't much better and his magnum opus was the LOTR trilogy

You don't need to shit on the hobbit to demonstrate how great lotr is. It is a sad day when you can't enjoy a little well written fantasy.

That being said what is so entertaining about the hobbit? the cgi? the poor acting? what?

I was a kid during the Star Wars prequels so all the fast lightsaber battles and shit was super cool to me.

The Hobbit is just fucking bad

the sar wars prequels at least are fun as an unintentional comedy

>we live in a world where studios meddling with films is favorable to directors who have complete control over their films fucking up
Jesus Christ.
You should stop watching movies altogether.

>t. del toro

Literally the adventure. The "sillyness" of it. I thought the light-hearted over-the-top running and chasing and "dwarvenness" was very entertaining.

Sadly the 3rd film wanted to make it serious all of a sudden and thats when it stopped being entertaining.

Hobbit is action-adventure, Lotr is epic fantasy.

One if for fun, the other for amazement.

this, hobbit is unwatchable garbage

>Literally the adventure. The "sillyness" of it. I thought the light-hearted over-the-top running and chasing and "dwarvenness" was very entertaining.

Are we watching the same movie? I was falling asleep. I didn't feel any of that in the jackson films.

Oh well, I am happy someone could enjoy it.

It all comes down to taste.

Its why I actually enjoyed phantom menace more than clone wars. Clone wars is all "MUH MOMMY" and phantom menace was "PODRACING".

Im NOT suggesting or implying quality, Im merely making the statement of entertainment.

This thread isnt about kino. Its about flicks.

And to be frank, apart from "Fellowship", I wouldnt consider the other 2 films kino at all.

>I actually enjoyed phantom menace more than clone wars

Watching that right now, it is honestly not as bad as i remember, and far better then 2 or 3.

Not saying its not shit, but at least the music reminds me of SWG

Unexpected Journey being decent makes it impossible to rewatch knowing what comes after.

The LOTR trilogy are literally my favorite movies.

I saw the first two hobbit movies, the first one was alright I guess and I didn't care for the second one so I never bothered seeing the 3rd.

So by default the SW prequels are better.

>most hardcore army ever
>never takes cover, walks out into open fields slowly firing at the enemy (missing frequently)
>can't defeat a bunch of incompetent dipshit robots who are a bigger joke than c3p0 even with jedi helping them
Nah.

>>never takes cover
They're literally programmed to be disposable, why would they seek cover.
Your other points are valid.

It was a miracle that the OT turned out as well as it did, the prequles's shittiness isn't surprising in hindsight. With The Hobbit it's wierd because jackson puled off LOTR about as well can be done, but fucked up the Hobbit really badly ever though it's a far easier book to adapt.

It's pretty hard to make two movies from 100 pages each and a third movie from 2 pages.

Five armies was way worse than anything the pt has to offer.

>They're literally programmed to be disposable
Then they are fucking stupid regardless. Also the people who designed them are stupid. People don't stand out in the open in modern because its suicide, being effective in combat = taking cover.