/prod/ - music production general

/r/ a good, natural sounding and hdd-light piano, organ and livestage reverb VSTs (free or not)

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/0e0gqggd
clyp.it/cmtimn1o
soundcloud.com/online_band/inaudible
paceap.com/pace-ilok-cloud.html
youtube.com/watch?v=0FTC4dEsxBU
youtube.com/watch?v=cfeQQlKbC6I
clyp.it/us4ezruw
clyp.it/lk1pv0cv
youtube.com/watch?v=dP9Wp6QVbsk
clyp.it/ekay4usd
youtube.com/watch?v=z5LW07FTJbI
youtu.be/riLy07NfSGw?t=48m58s
youtube.com/watch?v=EjH_ageEeIk
youtube.com/watch?v=belXoxcmgXA
clyp.it/5tox04gd
twitter.com/AnonBabble

clyp.it/0e0gqggd

vocals still shit but i'm making progress

feedback on mixing, vocals, production, and lyrics pls

thanksloveyou.jpg

just started this track today, will spam it on /prod/ along the way
clyp.it/cmtimn1o

vocals are too far back in the mix and midrange muddy
also melodyne, download it

>organ
hauptwerk
>reverb
exponential audio r4

How can I improve this? Only added reverb + delay in audacity.

soundcloud.com/online_band/inaudible

okay

is melodyne any different that logic pro's flex pitch?

bc with that i can edit vocal notes, pitch and vibrato

or is it just better?

paceap.com/pace-ilok-cloud.html

it's just better
but if you already have a pitch correction plugin might as well start with using that one

I use Reaper's ReaTune, its ok but cant vibrato without manually drawing the pitch oscillation. Id be interested on melodyne too

how do I get into creating synth with Ableton's operator? I want to keep it basic so that I exactly know what's happening without just pushing buttons and having no idea how I landed there. But what's a good basic sound to begin with? I have some kind of flute sound in my head but I can't emulate it with the operator

has some beauty in it. The flatted note in the intro sounds a bit forced. Also the intro seems to just end without being connected to the rest of the song. But pretty nice, enjoyed it

thank you
which one is that flatted note tho
the intro acoustic was cut cause its there just for a guide, there will be guitar nonstop along the song
its a cover btw
will do another try on the vocals after i come more awaken from my friends house

still have nothing better to post
youtube.com/watch?v=0FTC4dEsxBU

hope to get something done in the next time

in sec 14
maybe it's not flatted but just out of tune, I'm not sure

ah i see, it probably is out of tune
this is the original song in case you want to hear it. ill copy the entire arrangement youtube.com/watch?v=cfeQQlKbC6I

does somebody know what the fuck to do if an automation in ableton turns grey? if you mess with the level first the envelop turns from red to brown and if you try to restore it the whole automation gets unaccessible

at the top by the play button there is a button with an arrow that points left click it to re enable automation

nice that worked, thx

My current project is to record dumb indie guitar/post-punk on my computer and then recruit people for a group once I have a couple songs I like. I'm having trouble getting the actual instruments to not sound like total garbage.

clyp.it/us4ezruw

Turn your volume down it's probably too loud. Guitar and bass recorded through audio interface, synth is just from Logic and drums are just samples. Apologies in advance for my shitty playing

Any advice on what I can do to improve the overall sound/production/mix/etc? I think the bass has improved a lot from when I started but the guitar is 50/50 and I really don't like the drums, I think they sound weak and really obviously artificial. Obviously I'm not gonna get anything high quality with what I'm working with but I just want it to sound pleasing and listenable even if it's kinda basic.

Much appreciated

There are some spots where the vocals could be cleaned up but other than that I enjoyed this actually

The background noise is distracting. I dunno if you want it in there as like a Grouper thing but at least EQ it a little because there's a part of it that sounds really high-pitched and bothers me
The rest of it is good though

clyp.it/lk1pv0cv

been working on this lately. feel like the lead is lacking something tho, maybe it's too wide? anyways I'd appreciate to lend some ears

what you mean by cleaned up, the recordign or the singin

if you're going to make a band anyway don't give a shit about the sound. If you put too much effort in the sound you won't be free to experiment with your band. You have to face the fact that with a band it will sound completely different anyway

The Ample guitar plugins are pretty good, that is all

do mean by lead the bass? I think the last two notes of each measure are to close together

mfw the song is over when I thought it's gonna start now

The thing that comes in at around :50
I should probably fix the bass too, it's really fucked

bass is too high imo, also look into humanization, that can help fixing robotic drums. lower the volume on the open hats too

if you wanna form a band then I wouldn't give much of a fuck tho

I actually like the idea with the gunfire and the bass in unisono at the beginning, but when the bass comes solo the rhythm seems strange. why didn't you just keep it? did you play the bass with an actual electric bass? sounds quite out of time, no human groove but actually just wrong. I think you'd go better with a programmed bass

I kept it, it's just that it's hard to tell the bass is fucked when it's playing along other instruments. it's got no human grove cause I just played one compass once instead of playing through the song so it always makes the same mistake

I like the tone tho, I think I'm just gonna use one note and sample it through the song

>clyp.it/0e0gqggd
this made me consider suicide for a good couple of minutes. the melody is shit and vocals are exactly as you describe them. trying taking some singing lessons and make some better melodies. sorry for the harshness, pal

how do I make music like this?

youtube.com/watch?v=dP9Wp6QVbsk

I think it's mostly because the bass doesn't move in healthy fifths or fourths but keeps crawling in depressing semitones. Also the contrast between birds chirping and the music is unhealthy. loled at your comment though

generations of inbreeding in rural bavaria

kek, keep trying. practice makes perfect. just try to take in as much criticism as you can. experiment a lot :)

I'm actually not the user responsible for the opus, just a spectator

vocals and bass move in parallel octaves for too much time. makes the whole mix sound unorganic (next to other issues)

kek

vocal melodies are bad or the violin one?

ya can't take lessons but i'll practice more and try not to sing as much lmao

i didn't really pick up on that, ill fix it

mind listing the other issues?

singing is bad, the arrangement is repetitive. The one thing that you seem to have put the most effort in are the sounds, which are the best thing in the track

The singing. Most of it is good but there are a couple points where it feels a little thin/wobbly/off-key.
You could leave it as it is and it would be fine though. It adds to the character of the song, I think.

You're right, I guess. I like a lot of lo-fi bedroom stuff so I was kind of hoping that I could make something listenable on its own and then it would translate over as well but I think I'm investing too much time and effort in that idea for not much payoff.

I'll check the bass, thank you. Is there anything I should be doing in general when I have bass/guitar/etc in the mix? Like is there a certain level or EQ I should always use or is it mostly down to my own ears?

Also I'll look into humanization too. Logic actually has a function where you can randomize the velocity on MIDI notes which is real helpful but I have all the drums as audio clips rather than MIDI notes. Probably not the most efficient but I like just being able to drag and paste in the window.

can I produce music on linux? if so what software do I use?

bitwig or ardour are probably the best for linux

how do they compare? would it be worth slamming windows onto my laptop?

musescore

>Any advice on what I can do to improve the overall sound/production/mix/etc?
Those drums need more punch. Depends on what drum library you're using, but start by bringing them up a bit volume wise through parallel compression, maybe saturate a tad.

The lead is way too cheesy. Classic preset sound.

i use linux as well and trust me no software is worth it, just installed windows 7 on a new partition.

how can i become good at mixing? sometimes i fuck around in fl studio and i don't notice the difference

you have to know what everything does not just noodle around and listen to the change

>Like is there a certain level or EQ I should always use
In general it's good to keep the bass fundamentals at below 200hz and the guitar above that.

>Depends on what drum library you're using
Not sure. I was an idiot so I just downloaded a sample pack of clean drums and then dropped the actual .wav files into the Logic panel.

I know compression would probably help me a lot but I genuinely have no idea how to use it. Is there anywhere in particular I can read/watch to learn or should I just Google for it?

I wouldn't take presets for humanization. You can design another level in the music if you transport different rhythms over velocity, e.g. if you put an accent on any other note (simple example, but sounds instantly more human).

clyp.it/ekay4usd

Drillnbass song I started, added a bassline and mixed everything to be wider. Any thoughts or critiques? Made with MS20, Virus Access KB, and a Monologue.

is it intentional that none of the harmonies sound good and make any sense?

Never actually thought about that but that's super good advice, thank you. I'll try it out

reaper works well in WINE

>is it intentional that none of the rhythms are in time and go with each other?

what is your favorite fully electronic song atm?

mine's this gem:
youtube.com/watch?v=z5LW07FTJbI

i see

thats funny bc they're all presets, i dont know any sound design lmao

Yes, and yes.

this would be a cool intro or outro but for a full song its shit

why would anyone want to listen to this?

then I hope it won't surprise you that it sucks. But just keep on producing, at least it has some personality. The trick is to find that personality and focus on that, crafting it so that it won't sound so arbitrary.

the first sound reminds me of N64's Zelda. It's very loud btw, my head almost exploded

c'mon, it's not that bad, I liked the square synth in the ending

youtu.be/riLy07NfSGw?t=48m58s

i havent even been doing this for a full year im aware it sucks

but it sucks less than a couple months ago and thats enough for me to continue :-)

does the personaity stand out at all? since i made it i cant really tell

i mean it sounds cool but all musical qualitys are so bent that its hard to enjoy

To me this is a compliment and what I intend.

>how can I become good at mixing?
Constant practice.

Google parallel compression and drums. Also the Abbey Roads drums series for Kontakt is amazing.

The drum work is really nice, but harmonically the track doesn't sound coherent.

Probably anything by Joyryde.

>Joyryde
I always feel like getting a heart attack by listening to that. Too much going on at once and in the end no real progress

bump

Are there any theory works on the relationship of music and images/video? All music theory I've come across talks about music in the sense of purely sound.

Best bang for your buck studio monitors? Bedroom producer tier

i just got the krk rokit 5" and they sound pretty good and a couple of my friends have the same and also agree

i use jbl lsr monitors and think they are pretty good also i have heard yamaha hs series are nice

yamaha hs look really fucking nice

I'll look into those, thanks lads

what do you mean in the sence of purely sound? are you looking for theory on making the right music to an existing video?

I have nEar monitors that are pretty good and cost about 150 new

Dudes production is amazing youtube.com/watch?v=EjH_ageEeIk

How should I try to train my ear to hear production techniques? Should I just fuck around with stuff and try to recreate sounds and effects I like?

everyday

youtube.com/watch?v=belXoxcmgXA

right here my friend.

agonizing over this one. is it too distorted? is the bass loud enough? is the bass too loud?
clyp.it/5tox04gd

longest time ive spent on a track in a while and im itching to fucking finish it already

i want metasynth for windows
fuck me man

Try installing hackintosh? I've been meaning too to try out protracker.

nah fuck that
linux or winblows