Traveling from Nashville to Mexico

Traveling from Nashville to Mexico.

After Dallas is it worth visiting Austin/San Antonio or should I drive straight through Midland?

What are the best stops and pros/cons along the way?

Once I get to Mexico what is the best border city to cross? I really only want to go to pick up some souvenirs/see what's worth seeing along the border. I am going alone so what places should I avoid? Is Juarez still unsafe for tourists? I'm going to drive deep down into Baja California to see the whales and hopefully other sites.

Also anyone feel free to pitch in on the necessary sites of the rest of the trip up through California.

I will be going alone and I do not have a set schedule as of yet except that I will be leaving on the 29th.

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=jack daniels price usa
discoverbajacalifornia.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fuck yes go to Austin San Antonio is cool but skipable. The only border city in Texas I'd mess with is Brownsville.

California coast on hwy 1 is a stellar experience.

depending on the weather, cross the sierras through yosemite valley. if the road is open, dont miss it.

Yeah I heard PCH was awesome that's one of the things I'm most looking forward to.

And thanks for the tip about Yosemite I would have never known otherwise.

Eurofag here, just out of curiosity, how much dose Jack Daniels go for over there ?

lmgtfy.com/?q=jack daniels price usa

Dallas sucks, Austin and San Antonio are solid

Is it dangerous to go to Mexico?
Yes. You have to drive through the United Snakes first.

Hola, gringo. Check before you go! The whales are seasonal except in Guerrero Negro.

Yeah I only planned on stopping to see the book depository.

Yeah I was going to Baja and there should be a ton of gray whales from the arctic.

In California visit Big Sur - it's amazing. Also, you might want to swing into the sequoia national park in Cali as well. Incredible sights and trees that baffle the imagination

Do you know much about Baja? Are there any cool things to see?

Thanks, i thought we we're getting riped off here, seems like the difference is like 2$. Your whisky still sucks

I can buy a 1,75l bottle of Jack for about $27 at Costco

all alcohol tastes terrible.

heres a great tip: take a plane instead

I'm sleeping in my car

Come hang with me in Phoenix user

The only reason I'm stopping in Phoenix is to go to Faithful Word Baptist Church on Sunday.

OK have a great trip!!

You can do whatever you want to Worf. Join us user!

sleeping in my car was the best sleep of my life

Phoenix Sunday funday with Worf

I live in Baja.
There are lots of things to see. This might give you some idea:
discoverbajacalifornia.com/
Bear in mind the site belongs to the state government, which is more corrupt at the moment than usual.

I have my scuba license but it doesn't seem like you can dive next to the whales they'll only let you dive in reefs. I want to see if I can pay extra if they'll let me jump in next to a whale.

What about the drugs you can send some back to us

Painted Desert. Blue Mesa.

Yes go to San Antonio and Austin? Why not drive to Nuevo Laredo and then Monterrey?

I have to be in Phoenix by Sunday and my Aunt/Uncle live in San Diego. Maybe I'll go those places another time.

Scammon's Lagoon (where the whales calve) is protected by Semnarat. Only a few pangas have license to take tourists out on the water. Scuba sounds a bit outlandish for the area.
Also, a facility with Spanish becomes increasingly more important the farther south from Ensenada that you go.

drugs are for mayates

good to know because I know virtually no spanish at all.

Got it. The drive from San Antonio to El Paso sucks. Make sure you gas up because there is a long stretch of nothingness

For the drive to El Paso so far I've got

Caverns of Sonora
Fort Lancaster
Balmorhea State Park
Giant Road Runner
Stonehenge II

I guess that's all there is to see. Besides some huge windmill farms.

Sounds good user

I enjoy san antonio more than dallas or austin TBH. Bigger city, more shit to do.

If you've been to Mexico then you've been to San Antonio.
If you've been to San Francisco then you've been to Austin.

For San Antonio I've got

Alamo
River Walk
Japanese Tea Gardens
Mission Gardens
2M Smokehouse

Recommend anything else?

dallas resident here, what the fuck you even tryna see here. theres like one thing, the sixth floor museum/book thing where jfk got killed

So far for Dallas I've got

Book Depository.
Dealey Plaza
Videogame Museum
Lockhart Smokehouse
Hypnotic donuts

Anything else worth seeing?

Scuba would be more likely at Maneadero at the other end of Ensenada, Bahía de los Ángeles, and Mulegé. I doubt that any dive shop here asks to see scuba licenses yet … but they might.
The whales in Scammon's Lagoon have an old reputation for capsizing the pangas of people they don't like and being friendly to people they do like. Whales don't seem to recognize Baptists as particularly good people and no one down here is fond of red baseball caps.

I've heard mixed things about Ensenda and whether it is safe or not.

Do you guys have rest stops/24hr stores like Walmarts where people can sleep in their cars?

Also, I leaving my pistol at home but I still carry a pocket knife everywhere and I just read that if I take it to Mexico I can go to prison.

I also have kidney stone medicine in prescription bottles from 2014 and one of them is hydrocodone and I'm scared of taking it to Mexico because the federales will think I'm a smuggler for having 1/4 a bottle of pills from 2014.

If Baja, enter at Tijuana or maybe Otay Mesa. Stay on the main coast road, which degrades south of Ensenada anyway. Don't try going cross country.
Don't go alone.

You should visit your fellow Sup Forumstards on the way !

What will happen if I go alone? I thought baja was safe?

Shit, you can buy percodan etc. in the pharmacies there.
Never saw any fucking sleep-in-car facilities. Mexico is NOT the United States.

Baja is less dangerous than some parts of Mexico.
The farther from the tourist areas you are, the more risk you are taking.

Why is everyone in Mexico a criminal?

not everyone
just the crazy ones

Ensenada is safe. How could it not be?
Sleeping in cars is not a good idea anywhere.
Firearms and their ammunition require a permit from the army. Pocket knives are not usually a problem. Hunting knives in the hands of tough customers might be interpreted more ominously by the cops.
Scheduled medication generally requires a prescription from a local physician, at least whenever a cop has probable cause to investigate. Xanax is sold openly in a couple of Tijuana pharmacies, so the rule isn't immutable but your mileage will always vary. When cops take an interest in your medication, it's because they want a bribe. Doctors and prescriptions are easy to get in Mexico. ClubMedicoBaja might help in that.
Also, another good scuba spot is San Quintín. There's a hotel right on the highway that is happy to connect its guests to the right people without getting kickbacks from them (they seemed genuinely surprised by my question, but tourism is a kickback industry worldwide), so you might give them a try -- La Villa de San Quintín -- the owners prefer to speak English than Spanish although their employees not so much.

The Tijuana crossing is more direct. A bit curvy but well-signed. Otay Mesa is a crap-shoot, a straighter road for RVs but traffic congestion on the US side can be heavy at times and south of the border the highway isn't well-signed to Carretera 2000.
The road south of Ensenada might have been described as "degraded" twenty years ago; nowadays it's two lanes each way with a smooth, sound shoulder on both sides thanks to the heavy truck-trailer usage between San Quintín and the US.
"Cross-country" doesn't mean a whole lot in Baja. Carretera 3? Off-road?

And, thankfully, the United States of America is not los Estados Unidos Mexicanos. We are trump-free! Yahoo!

Austin amd SA are the only places in texas worth visiting. Dallas and Houston are shit, and west texas is a lot of nothing. As for border cities, if youre going to baja just go through san diego, its the best city in CA and hands down the best border town, but there are a thousand of places in california worth visiting
>san diego
>yosemite
>sf
>napa
>sequioa natl park
>the redwoods
>x amount of other places