Ang Lee predicts China box office to dwarf Hollywood

>Taiwanese-born filmmaker Ang Lee predicted Friday that the Chinese film market was about to explode, not only overtaking but dwarfing the American box office in a matter of years.

>The two-time Oscar winner said executives in the world's second economy used to rely on him as a bridge to Hollywood, but the newly-confident Chinese film industry no longer finds it necessary.

>"It's huge, it's going to be bigger in a few years," the 62-year-old told reporters on the red carpet at the glitzy BAFTA Britannia Awards in Beverly Hills.

>"In a few years it's probably going to be bigger (than the US) and then in the years to come a lot bigger. They've got many people and, most importantly, film has been lacking in the past in the culture, so it's still fresh."

>PricewaterhouseCoopers projects China's box office will rise from $4.3 billion in 2014 to $8.9 billion in 2019, outstripping the US.

>Hollywood studios have been looking to capitalize on the burgeoning market through partnerships with Chinese companies.
yahoo.com/news/ang-lee-predicts-china-box-office-dwarf-hollywood-080540584.html

It's over Hollywood is finished.

Flop Lee should keep his mouth shut

bigger than maybe but not bigger in

Hey man easy, you don't want to make him Ang Lee

>implyign anyone will watch Chinese movies oher than the Chinese

Good, maybe now we'll have real movies again.

Fuck , How do we stop the eternal oriental?

There are two billion of them you retard they dwarf the western cinema going populace

>It's over Hollywood is finished.

nope just more transformers movies that can be cross marketed for maximum profit.

this guys totally unbiased

Someone post some webms from that 'Chinese blockbuster' about surfing wizards

You STILL can't read, user?

WHO
BUT
THE CHINESE
WILL WATCH IT

>b-buh-but the chinese are many!
Yea, BUT
WHO
WILL
WATCH
THE
MOVIES

I don't care about market, or profit, or whatever. American films won't change any shape or form. They will still make films. Bollywood is an example of how little they change things.

name 1 (one) chinese movie

Some kungfu movie.

one of my favorites

India has been the largest producer of films for a long time, yet only indians or indian emigrants abroad watch that stuff.

shit production values and bad acting

the japs were smart to stick to animation, they can sell that shit to everyone

>chinese propaganda movies
>no ghosts
>no gay/lesbian characters
TRIGGERED

no one wants to see a movie about chinks

no one in south america would watch it. the fact is people want to see white people and western civilization movies since it is the norm

fuck the chinks the number one movie there is a fat tranny mermaid@@!!!

i know this is capecentral but everyone knows something by wong kar wai

>no gay/lesbian characters

based chinese overlords

jackie chan

Only because they can't torrent, joke's on them

>Wong Kar Wai
>Hong Kong
>not China

one party two systems

>make him Ang Lee

awww shit i fucked up

It's probably for the best. 2016 only had about 6 Merican movies that were decent. 2 of them were capeshit. I for one applaud our new Chinese overlords.

who?

what a fucking stupid chink

what does he know about movies

Fucking chinks ruin everything, this can only be bad.

Already mentioned before:
No effect will be noticed.

Yeah, based China with their superior patrician tastes XD

they take it over. they win
two years later
vr really takes off
Americans the leader in vr. probbaly not true
make mostly vr movies
on top again

what movie will be the first to reach $10 bing in the box office?

Titanic 2 with Fan Bing Bing and Li Bing Bing?

I have no doubts actually, as long as the movies are in english i will watch. I'm not from a English speaking country, but is a fact that aryan based languages are easier to understand, as the sound is simpler.

>vr really takes off
AHAHAHAHA

>Fan Bingbing and Li Bingbing aren't the same person
>Fan Bingbing and Li Bingbing aren't even sisters
My life is shattered

Also ayy lmao at the Chinese poster for RE5

you already see with the new star wars that they're blatantly pandering to the Chinese audience in Hollywood.

Completely ruins movies and removes any semblance that they have any kind of love put into them kek.

the American poster for reference

are you telling me they will make more movies then us. or are you telling me they will make more money from movies then us or are you telling me Chinese movie stars will outshine other actors and they will get the most roles?

>h-he fell for the vr is dead meme
it'll happen any day now I tell you!

my chinese friend used to tell me that the Bing Bing's are like the Audrey Hepburn and Katherine Hepburn of China lol

>Chinese propaganda
Ok, I've seen Jewish propaganda for years so it won't be that bad
>no ghosts
Good. They're shit.
>no gays/lesbians
Based Xi.

What was she pointing at?

They are telling you that more movies, western or not, will cater to chinese audiences

Hollywood will make movies for Chinese audiences first, and westerners second.

China will never overtake the US in movie making, it just doesn't have the Western culture, hence no appeal to far away countries.

I've watched Three Kingdoms (the TV series) and the style is so different many people won't like it. Now I personally loved Three Kingdoms, but it felt so alien to me, if you get what I mean.

Much better. The Asian chick is cute but looks awkward.

And here's the 2016 results to contrast with the all-time results. Pure kino.

That seems more likely.

>implying they'll need to

They'll be spending more money on films that the Americans, and lord knows they'll be so much cheaper to make with cheap labor.

if Hollywood was smart they would be doing their best to find Chinese Brad Pitts / Scarlett Johansons and turning them into "stars"

Spoiler alert: Milla is the main character in this movie and the "asian chick" is her sidekick who gets maybe 20 minutes of screentime and spends much of the picture unconscious or being held hostage by bad guys

I couldn't care less desu, hollywood and capeshit need to GTFO already.

Why should I spoonfeed some entry level pleb that probably has never even seen a french new wave film?

I guess I need to watch this Mermaid shit

>The film tells the story of a playboy businessman (Deng Chao) who falls in love with a mermaid (Lin Yun) who was sent to assassinate him.[9][10][11]
I'm not going to lie that, that sounds pretty interesting.

For some strange reason Matt Damon, Tom Cruise and Robert Downey Jr. movies are tremendously successful in China but Will Smith, Denzel Washington and Idris Elba movies aren't.

No shit. Men significantly taller than the Chinese make them feel bad about being short.

>more white people and chinks in movies thanks to chinese
>people think this is not an improvement

Fact is: I can't read these without thinking about schew. More people watch movies than ever before, so of course new movies get bigger turnouts. This is only one of many things. Demographics appear as well: is it for all audiences? Is it good for China, who has more people? Etc. I just can't take it without a grain of salt.

Great analysis, I'd never have figured that out.

Kevin Hart confirmed for next Chinese box office star

so how exactly do i move to china so they can pay me to be the white guy they invite to shit to pretend white people care about chinks.

the lack of black people would only be a bonus

makes u rlly think tbhonest

>THE ROBOT IS BIGGER THAN THE BLACK GUY

China should focus on comedies for their future films because they are really good at being unintentionally funny lol

thanks

Kungfu movies, user. There's a reason Kung Fu Hustle and KungPow are great.

Did MST3K ever do Kungfu movies? I always keep with the sci fi movies.

i dont get it i thought blacks were hated in america because of how violent and smelly they were but china doesnt have blacks why does china hate blacks?

Apologize.

>tfw you realize this is the Jew's avenue to continue pushing degenerate race mixing

maybe it's just xenophobia. something different is scary.

wtf I love China now.

Nobody likes blacks because of how bad Africa is. We know that are useless people.

The standard of beauty in China is white/pale. The whiter you are, the prettier you are.

China has been and still is mostly mono-ethnic. For many their first exposure to black people was in old Hollywood shows and movies, which typically showed blacks as criminals and thugs. So especially for older generations, that's how they are viewed.

most asian cultures are ranked in skin tone still

being whited skinned meant you were not a laborer or from some poor region

thats what they say anyway

>That's my secret, Cap, I'm always Ang Lee

What did he mean by this?

Who says this

Clearly this is a sign that China will soon collapse.

asians when they talk about skin whitening creams

Yeah, I can tell Asia has their own unique version of niggers

Like how Australia has fucked up pouched equivalents of everything

>ghosts are bad
>skeletons are bad
>zombies are OK
what the fuck redundant criteria are these chinks using?

>their first exposure to black people was in old Hollywood shows and movies, which typically showed blacks as criminals and thugs

if that is the case black people really are fucked forever

Its not white skin in asian culture just meant you belonged to an upperclass

same in india

You've never heard of jungle Asians before?

The only "undead" zombies were in Resident Evil Apocalypse

Every other installment has mutants and lately they don't even really look like dead bodies at all

There are white indians?

>The Mermaid is actually directed by Stephen "kung fu hustle" Chow
>starring based Tsui Hark
Fuck. I have to watch this, now.

>china has like 10x the population of america
>"their box office will boom"

This is considering an observation worth reporting on

Not very "white" by European standards but you can still see how they stack up to the regular poo colored plebs

>cocks are bad
>vaginas are bad
>sex is bad
>cursing is bad
>murder is OK
We've been asking the same shit of you americans for ages. Welcome to the rest of the world.

An observation from a well-known director, as opposed to a shitpost by some retard who doesn't know the difference between considered and considering. And on that note, considering the shit threads on Sup Forums, yes it most definitely is.

g8 post m8 here's your (you)

>Chinese dominates the box office
Blizzard gets to dominate the screen then? Guess we'll get starcraft soon.

No need to be so Ang Lee user

Kindly suck my Cao Cao, user.

thx, captain obvious

Chinese give advantages to their domestic movies, eg they could stay in cinemas for longer time,

wtf I love the jews now

I'm Ang Lee af