Sup Forums BTFO

blog.disqus.com/when-does-moderation-become-censorship?UTM_SOURCE=motd_home&UTM_MEDIUM=web

racists on the internet honestly think their free speech is being taken away

That comic is so dumb

Fuck off, shill. This is the third time this thread has been made today.

So then leftists can't get mad then as a business owner if I refuse to let gays into my store or put up posters.

People claim censorship when a platform promotes itself as being a platform for free speech but then reels it back when suddenly it is being used in a way they don't like. Leddit is the perfect example of a website that did just that.

This is actually entirely reasonable aside from the smug comic. If you set up rules and regulations for the content on your site and define it clearly there is no issue with censorship.

The issue comes when you say vague things such as "no hate speech or racism or sexism" which can be used to blanket ban anyone who argues about "the wage gap" and affirmative action since no one really can agree on what exactly racism or sexism is.

With hate speech, where do you draw the line? Hatred of anything? Laughable. Hatred of other people? This is a normal human emotion. Plenty of people "hate their boss" or that one heel at school that bullies them. That's not something you regulate. Hatred of a specific group of people? I see hatred of white people, Christians, lawyers, Trump supporters, and even Hillary supporters is in vogue with the crowd most adamant about hate speech. Which groups are okay to hate and which aren't?

If you're going to argue that you're only censoring based on rules you need to be specific with those rules. If someone does something you don't like and it's not explicitly defined as a no no in your rules, add it to the rules and warn them. Otherwise it's a shit community.

Really though the key is to just avoid shit communities and find one you like.

>implying losing your job isn't essentially as bad as being imprisoned
He's actually trying to sit on the fence, which is why he's forgiven. A lot of cucks do, like the Green cuck brothers, but they still deserve criticism.

No one cares when a horde of childadults block you, but when they harass your employer or when you're less employable due to your views, then I'd argue that your right to free speech is being violated via your right to pursue happiness.

This is what we're against.

Also, it's why I'm not YouTubing my pretty, charismatic face with my revolutionary philosophical opinions until I get job offers. This even includes theology, besides the light, almost sophist eastern philosophy, I actually believe arguing in favour of Christian or even monotheistic theology makes me less employable. It's "privileged."

This is how free speech dies, when our livelihoods are on the line, but only for certain demographics.

plenty of subreddits have a very simple rule: you can say whatever you want, but you can't be an asshole. It's not arbitrary at all.

Here you go, Sup Forums. I made a counter comic for you.

I think that's a bit better, forgot the text line.

Asshole is incredibly arbitrary. Are you serious? I think you're an asshole for even suggesting that.

I think you're an asshole if you hate the military.

I think you're an asshole if you spit on people at a political really.

That is subjective as hell. Are you being completely serious or baiting the hell out of me? What defines an asshole?

>that picture
I don't think the argument was ever that this censorship was unconstitutional just that it's self-defeating, it makes your own ideas seem weak because they apparently need protecting or they'll just fail on their own, all you're doing is showing to everyone how little faith you have in your own ideas and your ability to argue for them.

Is free speech the anti-Sup Forums?

>liberals get fired from their jobs in the entertainment industry in the 50s because of their political beliefs
"Oh my god what horrible oppression that was an awful time to be alive!"

>conservatives today get fired from any job they might have for their political beliefs
"Freedom of speech isn't freedom from consequences you fucking conservashits hahaha."

Fucking liberals.

Reminder that this comic is about Brendan Eich being ousted from Mozilla for donating his own money to the Prop 8 campaign.

>xkcd autist hasn't read J. S. Mill's On Liberty

Autistic Americans think that freedom is something written on a piece of paper and nothing to do with the attitudes of society.

Who the fuck are you quoting?

Man I missed that meme, we just realised how few times it actually applies. This is one of them.

When you can give me examples of those liberals being fired during a time when political suppression was actually arguably a necessity against the ideological cold war tactics, then I'll take you seriously.

Until then, I think you're full of shit, especially since the only cold war we have is against Islamic theocracies and the west is essentially taking a completely opposite stance, deny everything by dissuading Islamophobia.

But, you're either an insufferable left wing extremist who sees nothing wrong with left wing fascism or an American with an Australian proxy, which is likely due to your use of conservative and liberal, since liberal is still synonymous with libertarian here.

It's a certain joy of mine blowing Australians right the fuck out of the water, I feel it's almost my responsibility as an Australian. It's not even hard, most Australians are politically brain dead.

BTW, I believe moderate beliefs get you fired. Kind of changes your straw man up a bit huh?

Asshole is completely subjective, are you serious? I think you're an asshole for even saying that.

>Who the fuck are you quoting?
You've never heard people cry their eyes out about McCarthyism? Getting people fired from their jobs for their politics was apparently horrific oppression back then but now it's just the natural and justified consequences of free speech apparently.

>But, you're either an insufferable left wing extremist
Wait I end a post with "fucking liberals" and your conclusion is that I'm a left wing extremist, are you fucking retarded, can you not read? What in the hell are you talking about? Fuck you're retarded.

I'm confused Ausbro. Did you just get hit with a meta shitpost? I got exactly what you meant. Have a rare one on me.

You're a bad troll and yes I've heard McCarthyism, but you're yet to give an example not related to media personalities promoting Marxism. Can you give any examples? Was a single Marxist student expelled? I can give you examples where right wing speakers were denied platforms, or is your next argument that we're in a cold war with some non existent right wing foreign government?

Because Russia, despite its aggression, is absolutely not a threat to the west and Islamic theocracies don't fit comfortably on your bipartisan scale.

>Wait I end a post with "fucking liberals
I assumed you were being sarcastic, regardless, it's not an assumption that you're being retarded.

Keep denying donglegate.

So both you and he misunderstand my point?

McCarthyism was somewhat necessary.
Extreme political correctness is not.

feminist autism itt

I wasn't arguing that McCarthyism was unnecessary just that it's hypocritical to get upset over it and then the next second gloat about some conservative losing their job for saying the wrong thing, it's the hypocrisy that bothers me, okay?

>I assumed you were being sarcastic
Who in the fuck assumes someone is being sarcastic? And I still don't get how you got I was a lefty from that post, there wasn't really anything sympathetic towards them in it, did you not see the quotation marks? Those weren't my actual opinions.

>"free speech" = the first amendment
no surprise that a science sperg like munroe failed civics

>Keep denying donglegate
Where in the hell did I do that? My entire post was completely supportive of exactly what you're saying; that modern extreme political correctness is horrendous and yet you sperg the fuck out at me, why? Are you really that enamored to McCarthyism that the comparison bothers you that much? Because I don't know if you've noticed but that guy kind of failed, America's fucking overrun with commies now in all sorts of positions of power and influence despite all his efforts, he failed. Getting people fired from their jobs for their political views doesn't stop the ideology they're pushing from getting spread it just makes you look bad.

What's prop 8 senpai?

If anything, your explanation here just further bolstered the other Straya's point further. You're essentially arguing with him...about not going far enough, I guess? You're not wrong about anything you are saying, nor did I imply that. I was confused by your vitriol when essentially you guys were on the same page.
Using the amazing diplomatic skills I've learned from watching my Nobel Oeace Prize winning leader, I will now gift you with a Pepe as well. This will cement the peace between warring bogans and prevent the looming civil war.

thanks, I needed a banner image for my website

any idea where the original image to this is?

None whatsoever. I always wondered the same thing. I suspect that the boys over in robot land could help you out.
The eerie thing about it is she looks vaguely familiar to most people who see it.

>muh feelunz
People are offensive especially when there are deep disagreements.

>it's hypocritical to get upset over it and then the next second gloat about some conservative
So two wrongs makes a right.

Got it.

You're a child.

>>I assumed you were being sarcastic
>Who in the fuck assumes someone is being sarcastic?
It's what you get for having such a dissonant opinion.

Were you originally agreeing with me? My point of view is that there should be no real consequences, physical or financial, for any speech unless it actively promotes aggression, either physical or financial.

For instance
>I disagree that affirmative action is an ethically correct means of achieving equality. It is by definition a moral hazard which requires using the same ethically questionable tactics it's designed to tackle
Should be perfectly inconsequential.

>that guy said something I don't like, he hurt my feelings. Let's harass his employer until he loses his job and has his professionalism permanently in question
Is hate speech. It's persuading others to attack someone financially. People who do this deserve hefty fines against them.

No, I'm starting to suspect other Australian is just being overly aggressive or "butthurt" as the meymeys go.

You should see how straight my face is. I'm just dishing the bantz.

Except people have already been prosecuted for innocuous speech on the internet in places like the UK.

You just raped my eyes with non consensual cuckoldry.

I'm triggered.

The famed Pepe stratagem failed miserably. I guess this is why you shouldn't learn diplomacy from a guy who won the Peace Prize for existing. Literally.
This one is for both of you.