Hey Sup Forums I need some life advice, should I join the Marines/Army or pursue college?

Hey Sup Forums I need some life advice, should I join the Marines/Army or pursue college?

I spent 9 years in the Corps. Paid for my college with the GI Bill. Now, I'm a RN. For me, it was a good thing. I was a shit kid that needed an outlet.

College first. Then go into the military with a higher rank and a specialized MOS

Army vet here.

It’s looked at as welfare, but the acceptable kind. I would do 2 enlistments in an MOS that translates to a job on the outside and get your bachelors degree online while you’re in.

The army will pay for your education and housing, and will count as experience for getting jobs.

Depends on what you want to do. Firstly throw army out of the picture. Army guys are miserable, never want to do work. Marine Corps is the most motivated branch, takes a long time to advance though.

There's no comparison to college though, so what do you really want to do? What's the end goal user?

Do you know what you want to study in college?

Also if youre a hs senior and haven't already taken the SAT/ACT with high scores you're already boned, no good college is going to take you at this point, most colleges applications are closed now.

College first. Or a military education from the get go. But don't walk blindly into this, and not straight out of high school. Trust me or not that. And pick a branch where you get to be a bit selfish in regards to equipment and resources located your way, because humping around in a Shit hole country with the best of gear and training avalible still sucks hard some days. Not to mention having to deal with people you've known for years dying right in front of you.
I probably would've done it all over again though.

>go into a branch that doesn't issue shit gear blah blah blah

He's basically saying don't go marines. You're not going to find better people in the other branches. At the end of the day that's way more important than how new the humvee you're riding in is

Nope, don't do it.

Nice bait, mate

this.

this dumb faggot did it reverse and didn't get money for college.

reserves. go into reserves. you get the best of all worlds.

you stay in your area, work a decent job, gain military experience, and when you're done you can gi bill your way into college. and if you're grades are shit, gi bills get accepted easier.

also, if you want to go into a specific field like state police for example, your military time counts as college credits.

Neither, go coastguard. Same benefits, higher pay, and you're not tied down to shit and things are easy going.

What this guy is saying, if you want to be treated like a human but get no respect go to the coast guard or Air Force. If you think you will end up in combat Go Marines (promise you this if you're in the shit you will want to be trained for it, the Marines as a whole do combat better than the rest) Obviously if like being out at sea or can meet standards to get in a sub go Navy. Personally no matter which branch interests you, you will meet some truly strange ass mofos and will probably have some of the best friends and memories you will in your life. If you end up in foreign countries you will come back to the US with a new appreciation and probably some disgust. Either way can be the best time of your life or the worst. Truly depends on your attitude/character and what you're interested in accomplishing

Rough plan without aid from recruiters or other outside sources.
>4 year contract with(leaning toward Marines)
>Advance career or go to college and change to something in science or law, depending upon experience in first four years
>Would like to maybe start a family along the way, not sure how being in the military would play into that(femanon, if that impacts response)
>I know it's a pretty poor outline but I'm still exploring all my options and I have some time, Ive also been a bit wary of talking to a recruiter as I've heard they can be a dishonest

As for what I want out of it, the benefits are nice and I've kind of been thinking of it as a fall back job, especially if I'm still indecisive. I also imagine a feeling of accomplishment coming with such as I've had a few Marine rolemodels, none that were blood though.

I realize I probably sound a bit naive, I've just been to pussy to ask anyone fearing I'd be thought of as that kid trying to prove they're tough cause they want to join a branch.

Not specifically I only have vague ideas as of now, I won't say what year of HS on the grounds of self incrimination, but I'm not screwed if I don't know yet.

>I realize I probably sound a bit naive

nothing is naive if you're gathering information before making a decision.

OP here
This, this is what I was hoping for too. The experiences and stories to tell

Im getting my GED this year prob head to community college and get credits then sign up for the marines semper fi motherfucker

Listen to this man, my biggest regret is wasting my time while I was in fucking sluts and getting drunk.

remember, a 4 year contract is actually 9 years. you can be called back 5 years after your end date if shit goes down. if i remember correctly, if a femanon gets preggers, she stays on base (or transferred to a different base) from month 3 until 6 months after birth.

Even though most will not listen and do the family thing (more money, sometimes better housing) Stay single or at least don't do serious commitment. There's a saying I remember "If the Marines wanted you to have a spouse and kids, you would be issued them" it's usually a distraction and incredibly stressful for both parties and a deployment will most likely end horribly (need an incredibly loyal, committed, loving partner) its a difficult strain on everyone who does it.

And your wife is gonna get fat while you're in some sandy shithole and some knucklehead on rear-d will fuck her.

There will be no shortage of either
Talk to multiple recruiters even for the same branch and ask lots of questions and read the contract before you sign, make absolute sure you understand it

Oh yes, I saw that come up while research, thanks for reminding me I actually forgot that.

Thanks to both of you I was wondering how the whole family thing would work out, I'll surely keep that it mind when making the decision. And thank you for the info on maternity, I hadn't seen much mention of it before, honestly great to know. I certainly plan on being careful, I personally believe a pregnancy isn't to be taken lightly.

op is a femanon.

lrn24chan.

True true, personally I took my advice and stayed single, nail and bail. Bitches use you for the benefits then fuck the mailman, neighbor, co worker(s) I cant remember a single person from my unit that was married going back home and staying married

if you're single, have no family and want the whole fucking "hoo rah i'll cut my own dick off and throw it at the enemy" experience then the marines are definitely the way to go.

other than that

>If the Marines wanted you to have a spouse and kids, you would be issued them

that is the most imbecile statement i've ever heard, and probably the most accurate way to describe a marine.

Here’s a list of everybody who cares:

(This part intentionally left blank.)

I'll be sure of that. My mother works in law and has always told me that as well. ThanKS for looking out for me. Do they allow you to negotiate anything in the contract, just out of curiousity?

Go to fucking /k/ with this cancer shit.

In one year I went from public transportation piece of shit to being the most fit in my life, my own room, own car, girls to choose from. All thanks to the corps. But don’t be a little bitch, own into everything you do or you’re just another sack of shit with a uniform
You can really succeed with the military.

Retired Air Force medic (24 years service). Don't know about the other services but I do know that if your looking for decient training and education opportunities, getting a guaranteed job in one of the medical AFSCs. Most of the stateside bases I was stationed at even had extensions classes from the local colleges on base. Got my MBA before I retired.

totally sorry this isn't a trap thread.

faggots.

My apologies, I'm still pretty new to Sup Forums and haven't dived into the full degeneracy yet.

I saw it happen in basic, I saw it happen in Iraq, I saw it happen in Afghanistan. Getting married when you may have to be away from home for 13 months is not a good idea.

ex-marine here. is it wrong that i feel pride in this?

Yes to a degree, depends on your MOS, level of schooling and if I remember correctly if you score high enough on the ASFAB you have more options (thats mostly for the choice of MOS) even that can be tricky. You can also pick 3 of the places you would like to be stationed but the truth is if a job you want doesnt have an opening they will put you where they need you and similar situation with where you're stationed

Army? Aren't ready Marines yet?

Ok relax inter service rivalry is encouraged and now out I respect all my that served like me. Actually to be honest the US Army had way bigger budget and better equipment I was a misguided child of Uncle Sam 2 tours mos a Intel and now work in private sector doing insurance fraud work and I like it. To be honest the Marines is awesome to be FROM. Get it? No hate but you will learn to appreciate everything in life and I like the personal skills I learned (Got into h2h brown belt yes get it it's fuck belt I mean I was book nerd and I needed some reality best into me) and looking back wouldn't trade it.

Op : if you goto college just don't major in some fwggotry lib arts then expect world on platter. Business, medicine, accounting engineering all good I'm not fan law but that's just me too many of those douches and best luck with journey. I will say be part of doing something FOR country instead of a leech.

enlisted guys (and girls for that matter) fuck each other on the constant when deployed, married or not.

and that's the kind of english you can expect from a marine.

anyone had to read that more than once and still don't understand wtf?

>Got into h2h brown belt yes get it it's fuck belt I mean I was book nerd

wut.

Thanks for telling me how deployments are, I've never been on one, all I'm saying is your fat wife back home is catching dick.

All branches offer same benefits because they are all managed by Department of Defense.
Army...pick your job from list you qualify for and that job is guaranteed before you sign up.
Join Marines only if you want to be a Marine and dont care about job.
Navy and Air Force offer branches of jobs, not specific jobs.
Coast Guard...good luck.
Other than that aspect, they are all basically the same.

i wasn't saying you're incorrect at all. lonely wives need dick too.

*cough
reserves
*cough

hardly called for deployment, don't get transferred from base to base, same benefits.

if you have to ask retards on Sup Forums then you should hit up mcdonalds with that application

True dat, I was active duty but had several friends who were AGR (Active Guard Reserve) the were full time but served on Guard and Reserve bases and even when their units deployed they usually stayed behind to maintain things in the absence of the regular Reserves.

be quiet. adults are talking.

>you should hit up mcdonalds
>hit up mcdonalds
>hit up

underage faggot, or of age nigger.

either way, disregard.

no u

If you're smart then go Navy Nuke. Otherwise just go navy in general get to see stuff all over the world

Tbh I posted that in the wrong thread. Meant to post it in the one where it was “list of people I don’t respect.” Join marines bro, you’ll fucking hate it but it’ll teach you good discipline or at least force you to have some type of appreciation for things in the civilian world when you compare them to how much things sucked as a marine. Plus benefits are good.

Sincerely,
Marinevetfag

If youre joining any branch you should join Air Force. We are treated far better than either or marines.

Conversely, if you want to actually be in the military join the marines.

You droped the Army there.

>should I join the Marines/Army
NO

i'm triyng to find the vid for pic related, anyone got the link?

>Tbh I posted that in the wrong thread.

ah no worries. we're cool.

Go be cannon fodder

pfft.

marines go no where without the navy.

how does it feel being the only branch of the military that needs an uber?

also:
>if you want to actually be in the military, join

fixed.

What I did, except I'm Army. Got my degree then went back in as an ossifer (you know guys like me as "mustang")

Q: Why did god create fat girls?

A: So enlisted Marines could have wives.

Oh fucktard my asvab landed me in Intel then Bach sci and mas sci pogey remf this is Sup Forums not grammar school its called auto correct Idgfuck.

I see you majored in English. Just what I said not to do. I will have fries with my Big Mac FYI zoomie in guessing. You had to handle a rifle for whst 4 days in your 4 weeks in TX bwahahahahaa

go to a trade school fand learn how to build or repair something, like an electrician and make significantly more than your peers.

don't spend 40 grand on an enormous waste of four years getting some shit degree for philosophy.

don't enlist because you may actually die and you won't earn shit

*and learn

i hope you're trolling b/c god damn that's some retarded shit.

*cough
reserves
*cough

can go to trade school whilst enlisted and earning time for gi bill.

we don't need anymore faggots in the marines we have one in every regiment and we pass him around but just tape his balls and dick to his stomach and shave his asshole to fuck

U fucktards touch a rifle for 4 days in basic they do Nintendo warfare in some air conditioned office and exact to be taken seriously.

I respect the Coast Guard more than remf zoomies who btw blue on blue KILLED guys in my battalion in Iraq you warthog retards.

USAF offers specific jobs, but it's not uncommon to have to wait a while and the recruiters push super hard for you to go open.

Source: Airman that went Open Elec under pressure and got placed radar maintenance despite wanting a cyber job - while friend waited a year to get the exact job he wanted.

Yep. I decided 9 years were enough. I wouldn't mind being a silly villain that goes on deployment. They would have to PAY me, though. Too much money to be made in the medical field.

>exact to be taken seriously

fucking marines...

Fucking a. I got remf pogey bate zoomie swabbie fags posting about my English who do nothing but pilot ships and planes.

That's ok, there's always people to do actual fighting.

Well the first two options you're going to want to do college anyway. Either of those are going to prepare you a lot better for it. They're all big commitments. Really think what you'd do with say maybe half a decade roughly. If you didn't like it and wanted to do something else, what else would you do? In the Army there are a ton of college educated people. You have no idea, it's pretty much a given for officers but even enlisted.

Nigga what

It ain't just the Joes that do that shit. So do the ossifers. We just have our shit hidden under wraps, for obvious reasons.

My Brigade deployed to Haiti for earthquake relief in 2010. Shortly after we got back I was called in for a Commander's Inquiry. Turns out my Co Cdr (who was married & had a 8mo old daughter when we'd left) had been banging our brand new female LT, who just happens to look like a blonde bag o' ugly.

I hadn't heard shit about any of this until I was being asked questions by the MAJ doing the investigation, but it completely caught me off-guard. Since I was of 0 use to him for his investigation, he kindly filled me in on some of the sundry details that he was allowed to, to bring my ass up to speed. Yeech.

We were in the 82nd Airborne at the time. My former Cdr had to basically beg for his life in front of the Div Cdr (that's a 2-star general for those non-Army types reading this). He got immediately transferred from Bragg to Riley, and needless to say his wife left him. Don't know if it fucked his chances for CGSC.

As for the ugly-ass LT he'd been porking, she got drummed out w/ a general discharge. Considering she wasn't just ugly as fuck, she was also a total cunt, I was happy to see her leave. Her discharge characterization couldn't have happened to a nicer person.

But I just couldn't understand why he would have done it to begin with. Not just because he fucked both their careers, but the way I see it, if you're gonna do something like that & risk everything you have for some fuckin' poon on the side, ffs pick a better lookin' bitch than this one (pic related).

Keep scrubbing barnacles or waking flight deck looking for a molecule,of metal that's skill development!

>Cracks knuckles and spits dip out.

Alright faggot here we go, Navy vet here. Been out for a year attending college in a major city. GI Bill pays for all tuition and gives me 2500 a month to pay for rent, bills and food based on the cost of living for the zip code my school is in. I'm getting paid for my CompSci degree. Spent 4 years on a real boat, not them above water target shits the surface pukes call boats. Had some of the best and worst times of my life on that boat but it taught me a hell of a lot about life. I fucked hella bitches, made damn good money, and am doing an internship for my degree based on the tech expierences I got while in.

Because I'm vet now free healthcare for life through the VA hospitals and get paid a stipend for the rest of my life because of disability rating. Claim erectile disfunction and tenidus they can't disprove that shit. I got real problems with my knees and sleeping tho.

Coast gaurd is top tier pick, then surface Navy and airfoce is next for cushyness. Everyone gets paid the same bases on rank. You'll never get blown up unlike infantry bullet sponges or jar heads unless that is what you want.

Boot camp is easy just keep your head low and just do what you are told.

If at MEPS they offer you to be a Nuke don't do it, the money is huge, signing bonuses and re-enlist ENT cash of up to 100k, but it's cause those guys work forever and hate their life

>Puts in another dip

Hope this helps

Was RN something you were passionate about? Or was it more about stable pay?

i have multiple family members enlisted, and i was totally surprised how much pull an enlisted person's wife has on his commander.

so many stories on how husband is acting like an ass, reported to his co by his wife, and he gets a wrath of shit from his co.

That happens for one simple reason, and it ain't because the husband is fucking up.

It's because the Cdr doesn't fucking want to have to deal with it.

BT;DT. On both sides of the fence.

How does it feel knowing that's all the Navy is good for?

I wanted to continue to serve. I thought about the EMT route. My Corpsman is the one who told me to be a RN. He literally said, "Dude you're really smart. You could be a RN." Goddamn, was he right. I could be on a bus (ambulance) making $15/hour. Lucky for me, I'm not.

do you know what else the air force does?

OP back again. Honestly, thank you for all the insight, experiences and knowledge. It's getting late so I'm getting ready to hit the sack and I apologize for the radio silence. Thank you all again, you've really helped me, it's great to have access to all this information and I luckily still have a few years to mull it over.

Besides getting butt hurt about Marines fucking all their women?

Be a sexual tyrannasaur

Me again.

Imagine this: I'm out at a bar in Fayetteville (no longer there, but it was called the Ugly Stick) for their "wet tshirt contests" in order to video for my personal fap collection later.

After the contest is over, I see one of my Paratroopers there with his wife. She's rather cute, and someone I would def mack on if she weren't married. We link up, & his wife's fuckin' wasted. He's trying to keep his cool but it's clear he's irritated as shit with her.

During the course of conversation, she asks me why I'm there. I mention (as quickly as possible) that there'd been a wet tshirt contest earlier & I was letting my buzz from the beer I'd drank earlier wear off so I could drive home. She gets all excited & says "Oooh, I wanna do that!" & starts to take her blouse off. Gets it halfway off & her husband's making quick moves to put it back on her, while I'm trying to explain to her drunk stupid ass that it was over & she missed it. She's disappointed but gradually accepts it when it sinks in.

Someone drops something, so me being a gentleman (comes w/ being an ossifer), I offer to pick it up. I bend down & she's asking me something, so while I'm kneeling down I look up to see what she's asking me.

All I see is the gusset of her panties, as she was wearing a short-ass miniskirt & it had gotten pulled up to where there was no way I could have looked up & not gotten an eyeful. I think it was him that dropped it, so I sincerely don't believe she was intentionally flashing me (and I never once said anything to him about it later). But not long after that, she starts trying to run her hands through my hair, tells me "ooh, you're a cutie" (I'm not) and begins openly flirting with me IN FRONT OF HER HUSBAND.

I ended up driving them home since their car was fucked, but that was as surreal an experience as I can remember.

Pretty fresh (2.5 yrs) Airman here. Why does it seem like the military single handedly keeps the tobacco industry alive with dip alone? I thought it was just my shop (all of them except me dip), but I was driving my CC around the other day to show him our new equipment and he was dipping the whole way and spitting out the window.

Military wants to kill tobacco use and swearing, the habit starts looking for a high when you can't smoke and are stressed. Evolves into a habit. Hates dip when I entered now can't go a day without it

It falls under UCMJ rules. There's one law (I can't be arsed to remember) that's really broad and open to interpretation that says something about "acting in accordance to good discipline" or something like that. Being an ass to your wife looks bad on you, which looks bad on your CC. It's his responsibility to make sure you aren't making the military (and in turn, him) look bad.

To that end since it's been brought up in this thread already: Somewhere in the UCMJ it's directly made illegal for a servicemember to cheat on their spouse. I've seen people go to courts marshal over it. (Lt.Col on my base just got railed for cheating on his wife of 20 something years)