I'm going to start taking anti anxiety meds soon. I think a doctor tried to perscribe me something of the sort once...

I'm going to start taking anti anxiety meds soon. I think a doctor tried to perscribe me something of the sort once, but my family would hear about it and most of my relatives would abandon me if they knew I was on any kind of mind altering substance.

I need the pills, though, I can't talk to people I don't know and I finding myself between complete isolation and loneliness and forced social situations which cause me to panic internally.

What shoudl I expect? I don't remember the type of pills I'll be getting but it should be standard stuff. And would it be possible to OD or get high off of this stuff?

they always give you meme pills at first these days and hope for a placebo effect. You have to keep going back to the same doctor for at least 6 months before they will give you anything that actually has a chance of working.

I don't need to worry about that, I'm not getting the pills from my doctor

but thanks for the advice anyway

Idk who you are or your life situation. Do I'll offer a very wide and general advice: do what you want.
Family is never constant an can be changed or subsidised with friends. If it makes you happy, do it. If someone wants to be happy with you, share it.

I mean if you're in the works of getting a script, you just keep telling your doc the pills ain't working until he works you onto Xanax.

I thought there was Patient/Doctor confidentiality? Unless you're underage, I don't see how your family could possibly find out.

>my family would hear about it and most of my relatives would abandon me if they knew I was on any kind of mind altering substance.
are you part of a pleb family

>most of my relatives would abandon me
I'm not telling you to abandon your family, but that's pretty destructive behavior if you're trying to help yourself. You should really think about finding supportive people and maybe loving your family without conditions only if they do the same for you

don't OD or get high, you fucking retard

wtf dude, that is BS.

dont go onto xanax, you want to get out, not down and dependent.

this

they do switch you around a lot, but it takes time to find the right med

How accurate would you guys say diagnosis is? I'm not sure if I have social axienty, depression, adhd or just a lazy fuck. I want help but i dont want to end up dependent on something thata more detrimental than effective

I'm in the same fucking rut.

Went to a shrink once and he said it seems lime I have an anxiety disorder. Wanted me to try meds.

Never went back.

I can't give you medical advice, but I can say this; You can either believe doctors irl or the internet. I know doctors aren't perfect, but a little thought will show you where your thinking might be fucked. Don't take advice from Sup Forums

>months
try going up a notch

Was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder around 15 or something, 19 now and they're trying to turn it into GAD because I still get the physical reaction of anxiety when in non-social situations. Honestly diagnosis is never set in stone and sadly because of that it gives a lot of leeway for psychiatrists that are not good at their job

U try any meds? Did they help?

so the pharmacist has a big bin of placebo antidepressants that look exactly like the real ones, then when the doctor gives the nod, they switch you to the real ones?

wow, that's not convoluted or retarded at all

Use cannabis instead, more effective and better for you.

Because my original reason for going to child psychiatry was due to depressive mood and then anxiety it's always been the generic starter shit. First sertraline which didn't help then venlafaxine which did help and now on escitalopram which swang back the other way and isn't helping. If you don't have any depressive tendencies they might try you on medication that is only labelled for anxiety or generally ones other than serotonin/norepinephrine antagonists, I don't know I'm not a shrink.

You really ought to do a little more research rather than going with the first assumption that popped into your head. I don't have the time or patience to explain it all to you, keep on believing what you want to believe just know that you're dead off with that assumption.

Why did they take away the one that worked for you?

have you considered suicide?

I started taking anti anxiety shit years ago and it's been pretty fail proof. I think its pretty common. It's called alcohol

I have depression and anxiety, but my anxiety is fucking horrible. I don't even leave the house anymore.

Here is a better idea, Every time you feel anxious you cut off one of your toes. I know sounds stupid, but the next time you think about getting anxious you won't because fear of losing a toe.

I was experiencing rare side effects which directly caused my anxiety to get worse, plus it wasnt helping my depression even though I was on the max dose and they have some pretty annoying withdrawal symptoms

I'm more or less attacking the implication that the doctor's initial efforts are not in earnest. They may start you on something non-specific, but that first post reeked of the "big pharma dont want u to git better" shit that gets posted too often

Try to put all your emphasis on the anxiety. If you mention both they will more than likely just throw you on an SSRI or SNRI and from what I've experienced myself and gathered from others they have don't do much most of the time. Not to say none of them will work for you, just speaking from personal experience and personal judgement. If they put you on something other than a serotonin/norepinephrine antagonist and you feel your mood getting worse at a later stage there is medication they can give you that can be administered parallel to anti anxiety meds without hindering them.

I'll see if I can sum this up, why administer something that has higher success rate but far worse side effects (some fatal) when there's newer meds that have a well enough success rate and less than a fraction of the side effects? It isn't about big pharma not wanting to have to spend extra dolla dolla on meds that work better, it's that there's safer and easier ones that can be trialled first. In my personal opinion the reason why I think there's such a conflict of there being "proof" that these starter meds work well is that the majority of the people that are put on them for "depression" or "anxiety" is because it's the cases in which someone is depressed because of a loss or negative occurrence in their life, or they just get a little more nervous than usual around people because they're neets that got bullied when they were kids. Imo anything above feeling a little down or being a little nervous and these types of meds probably won't do much for you if anything at all.

I pussied out and never went back. I'm honestly scared meds will fuck me up worse.

I think I'm gonna go back to smoking weed it really helped me be normal.

trust me bro you'll see the sun dry up and re-light itself before they give you anything that has anything in the form of unwanted side effects or symptoms. I don't do weed and I disapprove of it recreationally but from what I understand it can be very helpful for dealing with anxiety and other things like tick disorders, just try not to get dependant on it (physical addiction =/= psychological addiction)

there's a way to sum this up that doesn't scare away those who could potentially benefit, that's my real beef. People, especially here, get so much misinfo that they don't take the initiative to even break the cherry on the process. If they're as rocked by their issues as they sound, they should welcome any port in the storm, even if that port is the rocky mental health treatment path

are there meds that will make you forget about your shitty life? meds that will make you not care about anything? like I don't want to be happy or some shit, I just want to not care about stuff
but I still want to be able to go to work and shit

I took antidepressants for 3 months and they didn't make me feel any better
I smiled more often but it was like a fake smile
like I still hated everything and cared too much about what others thing

yeah I'm not trying to tell people not to look for medication, I'm just saying they shouldn't be fooled by the high similarity it has to placebo medication. I wouldn't be saying this if I'd even just met 1/10th of the people that say they do work versus they don't. I get your problem though, I have a friend that completely turned his back on psychiatry (as well as others, even in this thread) because the meds they were giving him, give a guess, weren't fuckin doing shit.

Sure there are, why do you think xanax is such a notorious recreational drug? Only issue though is that you'll need to be quite deep in the rabbit hole before you even get to that type of medication. From what I understand these are generally treated as later or end term type medication.

> have a friend that completely turned his back on psychiatry/meds
I was almost that person, and it nearly killed me, that's why I sperg about it. I eventually got "the one that worked" and it's amazing. Life is still life, but I wouldn't be here without it

I'm not sure what to do man. On one side I think I should go back and try the med. On the other side I think "just smoke weed again and be normal"

I think I'm just scared of meds.. I get anxiety even taking a damn different vitamin no joke.

well if you're in a country that isn't 110% jew mode trying out medication is probably a lot cheaper. Plus I'm sure it can be more convenient, simply popping a pill in your mouth and swallowing it every night versus having to smoke a blunt.

I'm in Ohio. Beer slightly works sometimes, but I think it's making me worse in the long run. Pot used to work like really good. I just don't know man. I guess I have to decide.