Westerns

I feel like watching a Western tonight Sup Forums. What should it be?

General Westerns thread

Point Break

well that depends

which ones have you seen and what are your favorites?

Haven't seen too many classic Western movies, favorites are probably The Searchers and Josey Wales but I also love Red Dead Redemption and most Jonah Hex stories

I think I've seen almost all the big Eastwood ones and most all modern ones too, so not one of those

true grit (remake) is gud
ox-bow incident if you want an oldie

The Great Silence

If you want a John Wayne picture, The Shootist. If you want a Clint Eastwood picture, Unforgiven.

the good, the bad and the ugly is the only good western film IMHO

Seen the modern True Grit, it is pretty good

pleb

Firefly. It's like this little known Space-Western series (that was cancelled way too early) but it's really good and well written.

My favorite is probably My Darling Clementine (1946), so I'd recommend that. Also:

Hombre (1967)
The Frisco Kid (1979) if you want an endearing comedy
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)
High Noon (1952)

Leave. We don't want a sci fi show that technically qualifies as a western. We want films set from 1860-1910 in the American/Mexican frontier.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. You get John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart, in what I'm pretty sure is their only movie together.

Thanks, watching Liberty Valance

The Great Silence

Kill yourself Whedon-fag.

>pleb
Pretty bold talk for a one-eyed fat man

Why do you like the searchers?

Conagher wasn't that bad for being a made for tv movie

I understand it's a modern creation and highly fictionalized but I love the American cultural mythology Westerns created/contributed to

High Noon or Rio Bravo
If you know those, Ride The High Country

Bullshit, you literally watch The Shootist as the last Wayne movie you havent seen yet

Good choice. The movie has several noteworthy elements. Not the least of whoch Ford stressing, rightfully so, that historic truth at some point becomes irrelevant if the fiction serves to inspire people. An insight lost on modern (leftist) America.

Not OP but it's a multi-year struggle to find a girl. Wayne and his partner just don't give up, through sunshine or rain or snow. They battle on until they find her. Heart-wrenching to think that people actually care for one another.

That is the point to The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Ford is admitting that it's all fictional. But if it inspires Man to be whote than he is, who should care about historical truth in movies?

I'm a big fan of Westerns but The Searchers is actually pretty fucking shit and boring.

>little-known
In what universe?

>You watch The Shootist as the last Wayne movie you haven't seen yet

Well then I fucked that up. I'm not watching 200 John Wayne films.

What are your favorite?

It's about determination, America, the lines between good and evil and civilized and savaged

A lot of great cinematography and a strong sense of Americana

Well, watch at least 30 or 40 of then. It's the fitting end to a long and distinguished career.

I mean there is definitely a list of at least 15 John Wayne movies to watch (in chronological order) before watching The Shootist. Stagecoach, Red River, Hondo, The Searchers, Rio Bravo, Liberty Valance, El Dorado, True Grit, Big Jake, The Cowboys, ect.

Jeremiah Johnson.

Unforgiven

Watching The Shootist first is like watching the finale of a TV show before you've seen the pilot.

dude i love japan too! *reblogs*

The Wild Bunch. The only film to get rid of that stupid idealized vision of violence as a heroic act that every single one of these movies portrait.

It's interesting how Don Seigel just used Wayne's previous films as a franchise for The Shootist to close. He saw that they were so similar that he could just plug those into it, making the smallest effort for the biggest reward.

You're a daisy if you do watch this.

A pretty smart move to be honest. It's hard for anyone not to have a general 'idea' of Wayne, as the man pretty much was a franchise. The man still is in my mind the image of 'star' in my book. Even if he was a stronger performer than actor in some roles, he still is the textbook example of 'movie star' for me.

good thread

>I think I've seen almost all the big Eastwood ones and most all modern ones too, so not one of those
>Unforgiven

Westworld. You will love it, trust me

Appaloosa is the best Western of the 00s but I'd be surprised if anybody on here has seen it

Tombstone is pure kino. McCabe and Mrs Miller has the most feels.

fuck off shittaste pleb

i have and i can't remember a single thing about it

No mention of Once Upon A Time In The West yet? Have a word with yourselves, lads.

nvm i'm blind

but for real, it's the best western

maybe capeshits more your speed

Once Upon a Time in the West was the most boring piece of shit I've ever seen. I like visual directing, but the film went way too far with the elongated scenes where nothing happens.

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly was fantastic.

>Not OP but it's a multi-year struggle to find a girl. Wayne and his partner just don't give up, through sunshine or rain or snow. They battle on until they find her. Heart-wrenching to think that people actually care for one another.
>It's about determination, America, the lines between good and evil and civilized and savaged
>A lot of great cinematography and a strong sense of Americana

Just watch everything John Ford and Howard Hawks made.

>Open Range is the best Western of the 00s
Fify

>i have and i can't remember a single thing about it
I remember liking it, but not much else

Got a hidden gem for you OP.

It's more of a drama that just happens to be set in the West.

pure garbage

The Proposition
Van Diemen's Land
Mad Dog Morgan

are you trying to rile me up

The Big Country

>The Wild Bunch

This. Peckinpah is GOAT Western director.

Also watch Major Dundee and The Getaway.

I can't tell if this is bait or not, but Once Upon a Time in the West is kind of different than The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. It's ballsier, more stylistic and also less focused on as straight-forward a story.

Both are masterpieces, but both for different aspects.

they took the b8
here's your (you).

What? Nobody liked Bone Tomahawk?

seriously. I always love watching the webm of the ending. that little webm without that disappointing score is honestly more enjoyable that the rest of the movie. waynes so has such fucking conflicting motivation, especially at the end. the other guys girlfriend sideplot is pretty shit too.

>watch Appaloosa
>get to the curtain-picking scene before realising I've already seen it
>still don't know how it ends so keep watching

Man, that movie really isn't memorable. Still good, but nothing to really stick.

I did!

Meek's Cutoff
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada

Shit.