Best Accessible Drum Machine/Sampler

What's the best drum machine/sampler to buy these days? Used market is okay. Preferably below $600, preferably analog, but doesn't have to be this way. Preferably solid build quality, as well (so not things like plastic casings and such). Most preferably with MIDI capabilities, but with its own internal sequencer as well.

Keep in mind I'm including older/vintage drum machines/samplers that might be going for around that price range as well as new ones.

I figured the Roland Aira TR-8 might be good since the interface is intuitive and it has some of the most classic drum sounds, but maybe something else is better, like the Arturia DrumBrute, or something. I don't think you can import new sounds into the TR-8? Because if you could, that would be pretty killer because of the versatility, but that's now how it works, is it?

Or are samplers almost always a better idea, especially when you can just run notes though MIDI? Is the MPC worth getting even if you can't finger drum for shit?

iPad pro

Machinedrum UW SPS MK-II

Best drum machine I've ever owned. Load up some quality 808 and 909 samples and you've got everything the tr-8 can do but 100x more and better. A bit above $600, but worth it.

someone tell me why this is a bad answer

Everything you do is done through a touchscreen. If you're fine with that it's fine. Personally, I'd never enjoy making music that way.

I'd say drumbrute or don't bother. Or find something old that isn't too expensive. The Korg ER-1 is still fun.

>Or are samplers almost always a better idea, especially when you can just run notes though MIDI?
Software is a better idea, honestly

Same here.
At that point you might as well just use VSTs and samples in a DAW with a MIDI controller. That gives you much more power anyway, assuming you know how to use it.

If you're looking for a standalone drum machine or sampler, you're not looking for an iPad.

Korg ElecTribe MX (EMX-1) seems cool, I remember seeing it in stores back in Japan some odd years ago. The tube at the top was pretty striking. Don't know if it's worth getting now though, considering they're all used and there's probably better alternatives in the price range.

Does it have to be analog? The new maschine is $600 and comes with the software and a built in soundcard.

Isn't the Maschine really just a MIDI controller for the Maschine software? Or does it work as a standalone drum machine without a laptop and installing software? All I know is I tried it at a Guitar Center one time and it seemed like a pain in the ass. A friend of mine uses it well, though.

> (You)
>Isn't the Maschine really just a MIDI controller for the Maschine software?
That's exactly what it is, unfortunately it lacks standalone functionality, NI is kinda gay for still doing that. The thing is, a DAW 9/10 times is still going to be more flexible than hardware for sequencing external gear, not to mention you can route synths back into the soundcard and add filters and effects.

>The thing is, a DAW 9/10 times is still going to be more flexible than hardware for sequencing external gear, not to mention you can route synths back into the soundcard and add filters and effects.
I've always found it to be way too much of a pain in the ass to work that way. If you're using software, in my experience it's better to just go fully ITB.

>it's better just to go fully ITB
No way, fag. I'm a huge proponent of the hybrid workflow, sure it's a pain in the ass to set up and transport, but when everything is working flawlessly, you feel like a mad scientist in your evil studio carved in the side of a mountain.
Since I use bitwig, what I do is send the midi data from my controller to my synth, route the audio from my synth into my mixer/interface and make a template for that particular synth and assign midi CC parameters. When I want to use a synth, I just drag and drop it like a VST and browse the presets I made, super easy plus there's nothing like the tactile response you get from hardware.

The Digitakt is pretty cool

$600 and $900 are a pretty big difference.

Not a big fan of the pocket operators, honestly. I have one, the Sub, but it's not the most optimal of synthesizers. It's kind of a pain to use and program.

>it's better to just go fully ITB
Nah, that's not a lot of fun. It's okay, but…eh.

Also including real instruments like guitars and basses are fun, too. Haven't looked back since.

Maschine is really good. It covers everything that you need for like sample house, hip hop bla bla bla. And you can load vsts in it.

You don't need it if you're already got a DAW, though.

>Digitakt
Huh, seems pretty cool but somewhat pricey

Is there nothing that can do what it does in a lower price range? I feel like there would be…

the TR-8 is pretty good, the Drumbrute not so much and apparently Arturia fucked up, some report drops and glitches, not as bad as Akai Wolf series but close

Electrons are amazing but not cheap and they have a learning curve
If you want to be able to load samples as well maybe an Electribe is what you need, the SP-404 is gr8 but not if you want a drum machine.

Basically, if your budget is limited just pull the trigger on a used TR-8, if you really need samples go for an Electribe
If you have the money get a Digitakt or this Avoid: Volcas, Rolands Boutique series and POs. there fun but chances are you will end up selling them to get a proper piece of hardware.

>Volcas, Rolands Boutique
I thought they WERE supposed to be proper pieces of hardware, but just smaller?

Also, what do you think of MPCs? I've never really had a chance to try them.

>I thought they WERE supposed to be proper pieces of hardware, but just smaller?
They do the job, but have dumb limitations (volcas), are glorified/overpriced toy versions of good gear (boutiques) or can break if easily (PO). But the main reason the're not your time and money is because you need to carry a shitton of adapters if you plan on gigging with them and their small size is really annoying.

>Also, what do you think of MPCs? I've never really had a chance to try them.
I'm planning on getting a mpc1000 soon, it will be my first. They can do a lot of stuff than a drum machine, the MPC live is basically a daw in a box, but its not cheap. I need it bcs my setup is a mess right now and an mpc can replace almost 70% of my gear, hopefully

what's the point of getting a drum machine if you can just sequence drums in a DAW and get the exact same sound? genuine question. I'm sure it's more fun to use a drum machine but unless you have unlimited money it doesn't seem worth it

>analog sampler
Lol

Because one is playing an instrument and one is arranging files on a laptop. There are tons of other differences as far as features go depending on which machine you're using, but that is the most major one. You could also download a virtual guitar that sounds beautiful, but I'd bet 99% of guitarists would prefer to play an actual guitar that sounds worse than arrange a digital one.

Its worth it if you gig regularly. Dealing with laptop/interface/controller when you share a bill with other artists can be a nightmare.
Also, more fun

fair enough that's what I figured

im the operator with my pocket calculator

I meant analog for drum machines, not samplers.