How? It's averaget at best

also
>Oscar for best actress in a supporting role to Kim Basinger

Wtf? She barely does anything in the movie

can you explain this bullshit to me?

Americans are retards with shit taste

Kevin Spacey makes everything he's in great

1. You're a pleb.

2. The supporting actress category that year was notoriously weak. It might surprise you to learn that Oscars are bought and paid for by studio marketing and talent agencies.

>You're a pleb.

care to argument or is asking to much, mr. patrician?

It's a fantastic film, fuck off millennial shitbag.

I really like the movie, but I agree on Kim Basinger. She didn't do jack shit in that movie.

>He doesn't understand the concept of noir

its a decent movie, its not great.
top kek.

>tfw we'll never get a good Ellroy adaptation again

It's a great movie pleb, deal with it

Noir is the best genre and truest pleb filter. Only numales, tumblrinas and the like who are irrationally afraid of white male protags don't like them/can't understand them.

I've always been a little surprised by how popular this movie is.

My biggest problem is the tone. It's halfway between serious-noir and 50s comedy. The differences in tone between Danny Devito's character and the irish police chief feel like they're from different movies. This causes the story to feels very synthetic. In classic mystery noir, the stories are usually small, but very complicated. They are mysteries that seem solvable but the longer you spend in the movie the more confused you get. LA Confidential feels like a story about police corruption in hollywood stitched together with a story about prostitutes made to look like celebrities stitched together with a story about hollywood tabloids. All 3 of the main aspects lack a certain depth that makes them complicated enough to be intriguing and to create an overall atmosphere.

With these 3 stories not being properly blended together, the atmosphere is inconsistent. In mystery noirs, atmosphere is one of the biggest factors. From capturing the listlessness of post-war america, to the complexity of the city-jungles, to the confusion of the actual mystery plot and it's lies, schemes, double-crosses and murders, a noir is made by making these elements blend together into a consistent tone.

The performances were all quite good though, russell crowe, kevin spacey and danny devito, although all seemingly from different movies, all play their roles very well.

Do the people who like this like shit like the untouchables?

I get it. I don't like it, but I get it

what am I looking at?

>like this like shit like

I didn't like the Untouchables.

There's so much stupidity in this post I don't even know where to begin

>all these faggots hating on based L.A Confidential

This place is really getting worst than reddit.

I bet you faggots don't like this movie because of muuhh misogynism, sexism, white male huuuurrrrrr

Start at the beginning

>implying those things automatically make a movie good

>it's good
>it's bad
Thanks for the input guys, really insightful.

You're actually complaining about Danny DeVito's character? That's called comedic relief. You don't think the conspiracy came together perfectly? As someone who was enthralled from the first scene to last I just can't comprehend how stupid must be to type that post.

it's average

welcome to Sup Forums

Eat shit, faggot.
Back to rejjit for le deep discussion

literally what did he mean by this

It's THAT fucking good.

>muh neo noir
is straight up the only reason

this isn't the best adaptation of a James Ellroy

>That's called comedic relief.
Yes, Danny Devito did a great job in his role. But I don't think it fit well with the tone of the rest of the movie, and in general with the world of noir.

>You don't think the conspiracy came together perfectly?
I never implied that.

Classic noir is utter chaos. The characters, the lies, the plots, and the schemes are all intertwined to create a tapestry of confusion. LA confidential, went for a big story about all the aspects of Hollywood and got into none of them enough to really be confusing or interesting.

I thought DeVito and his character provided a nice window to the world and I thought his character and said character's antics fit in perfectly. The first time I watched the movie it seemed like utter chaos at first, but the closer you got to the finish line you could see the big pieces moving and fitting together. The police corruption and high class prostitution and the tabloids all fit together very well and complemented each other.

I've watched LA Confidential several times and never felt jarred out of place or like my suspension of disbelief was broken, it always feels like I'm swept up in the whirlwind with them.

That guy's post comes across a lot better than yours, making me think you're the stupid one

You're a giant pleb.

Read My Dark Places, the memoir of the guy who wrote the book the movie is based on.

It's not a good film if you need to read the companion book

Danny Devito is just the Harvey Levin of the movie.

Have you ever read anything written by James Ellroy? He has a very unique way of writing dialogue. That's probably where you're getting the 50s comedy vibe from. It's a lot of alliteration and muted horns and dames.

I really like the film and don't agree with your views but they are well articulated and understandable. For me 'it just worked'.

That guy who attacked you is a retard.

You don't need to read his memoir to appreciate the film.

But it WILL feature some of the things in the movie, like the way Danny DeVito talks.

>Ellroy has become known for a telegrammatic prose style in his most recent work, wherein he frequently omits connecting words and uses only short, staccato sentences.

>Dialog and narration in Ellroy novels often consists of a "heightened pastiche of jazz slang, cop patois, creative profanity and drug vernacular" with a particular use of period-appropriate slang. He often employs stripped-down staccato sentence structures, a style that reaches its apex in The Cold Six Thousand and which Ellroy describes as a "direct, shorter-rather-than-longer sentence style that's declarative and ugly and right there, punching you in the nards." This signature style is not the result of a conscious experimentation but of chance and came about when he was asked by his editor to shorten his novel L.A. Confidential by more than one hundred pages. Rather than removing any subplots, Ellroy achieved this by cutting every unnecessary word from every sentence, creating a unique style of prose. While each sentence on its own is simple, the cumulative effect is a dense, baroque style.

When Ellroy was 10, his mom was raped and murdered. He also became obsessed with the Black Dahlia case.

>Good evening peepers, prowlers, pederasts, panty-sniffers, punks and pimps. I'm James Ellroy, the demon dog with the hog-log, the foul owl with the death growl, the white knight of the far right, and the slick trick with the donkey dick. I'm the author of 16 books, masterpieces all; they precede all my future masterpieces. These books will leave you reamed, steamed and drycleaned, tie-dyed, swept to the side, true-blued, tattooed and bah fongooed. These are books for the whole fuckin' family, if the name of your family is Manson.

this was pretty good.

only after i watched this, i start disliking true detective season 2

It's a great film and you objectively have bad taste. Probably due to crippling autism.

That post is a bunch of non complaints. Doesn't even seem like he or you have seen the movie tbf

>the white knight of the far right

I like this guy more and more

I think a lot of people are forgetting that LA Confidential isn't noir, it's neo-noir. So sure it doesn't fit the traditional conventions of noir, but expands on them, goes beyond the bounds and adds to it.

I liked TD season 2 so much because it reminded me of LA Confidential, Chinatown and to an extent LA Noire.

He's a fucking weirdo. Any time he's on a late night talk show he's just so odd.

I guess that's what having your mom killed at 10-years-old does to a guy.