Tell your guys' stories of getting into music

Tell your guys' stories of getting into music

>grow up with parents listening to alt rock like sebadoh and nmh along with jazz and some early electronica like kraftwerk
>mostly ignore it at the time
>end up getting into shitty 60s pop rock like early beatles
>get into memes in middle school, find vaporwave and shit
>later find death grips and nmh memes, get into Sup Forums
>get into basic Sup Forumscore, get called a faggot a lot
>taste has gradually expanded over the years
>now i mainly listen to noise, jazz,and indie shit.

you could still say i have pretty basic taste but eh

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=g7b2LXTFkSc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>vaporwave
>middle school

Uh I remember watching muse on television and thinking they were amazing. Got all of their albums up to absolution for my birthday. Started borrowing my fathers reggae/blues cd's and listening to those.
Then found out about slipknot on a muse fan forum, started listening to them, then metalcore/nu metal, then classic/thrash metal, then prog rock, then prog metal, then death metal, then black metal.
After finding Sup Forums I just started listening to post punk, glam rock, traditional folk, etc.

>be pleb
>visit Sup Forums
>become patrician

its a shitty meme genre so it makes sense middle school me would like it

How many of you went through a grunge phase despite grunge being dead by then? At like 14-16?

>get ipod for christmas in grade 9
>don't listen to much music so put some shit that i like on it, which was just shitty top 40 pop and stuff like that
>sister puts rolling stone's top 500 songs on it and some other albums
>on bus rides to and from school i have my ipod on shuffle and get into the Beatles, Springsteen, the Who, Buddy Holly, Pink Floyd, etc
>become an annoying classic rock douche
>have a friend named Marty who gets really into indie music
>he introduces me to stuff like Modest Mouse, Pavement and The Books
>helps me expand my musical horizons and listen to stuff that's not classic rock or the Strokes
>he kills himself in grade 11
>don't have many friends, hole in my life where his music recommendations once were
>go through his music likes on facebook and listen to as many as are available to me
>once that's done i wind up on Sup Forums
>spend the rest of grade 11 and 12 getting into entry-level Sup Forumscore

three years later and here i am, just listening to shit that i like from all across the board
RIP Marty

He means
>you were in middle school not too long ago

parents liked both liked dad rock, 70s white rock, hair metal, and contemporary stuff as appropriate like RHCP and Beastie Boys

Listened to classical also and saw symphonys young until first concert of Dave Mathews in 4th grade

first cd bought was blue album, then toxicity, then elephant. coalesced music taste before highschool on that, garage/blues revival of early 2000s, old blues and modest mouse+indie similar

college cemented patrician status with many influences and now listen to wide variety of stuff recently focused on expanding delta blues, jazz and soul singers, folk, and other stuff i never got help exploring

>start out not liking music
>mom has some pretty basic taste ranging from adult contemporary to bossa nova and some classical but no proper knowledge
>dad's REALLY into post-punk and new wave
>when I'm 6 mom decides I ought to learn piano
>ok then
>proceed to grow up listening to entry level classical
>discover The Beatles when I'm 11
>holy fucking shit my mind was blown towards heaven
>listen to the entire discography
>get into The Who and The Kinks
>spend early adolescence drifting between classic rock and entry level classical - Bach with a vengeance edition
>around 14 my dad finds his old vinyl collection
>holy fucking shit it's a gold mine
>The Police, New Order, Pet Shop Boys, The Smiths, Talking Heads, DEVO, The B-52s, The Cure, U2, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Bauhaus, even Joy Division and Television were there
>there was also some prog rock records that his cousins donated to him
>Yes, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Rush, Genesis...
>friend of mine gives me Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix as a gift, fall in love with it
>mid adolescence is a weird blur of everything, start picking up bass
>find It's Alive on a ridiculously low price
>get into punk rock a bit
>Buzzcocks, Descedents, Ramones...
>stumble on Doppelganger by The Fall of Troy at 16
>my ears hurt but this shit is fantastic
>get into math rock and post-hardcore
>Slint, At the Drive In, Fugazi, Rodan, Don Caballero
>all the while I'm listening to Dvorak, Bella, Liszt, Chopin
>somehow decide to get into Jazz for the hell of it
>REALLY get into it and also impressionism and bossa nova
>by 17 go to Sup Forums and quietly lurk around, listening to the stuff I hadn't heard yet
Now I'm 19 and my taste is pretty much everything I've heard before plus soul and funk

Help me

a reallly thorough background of old stuff that will be hard to break away from if you are struggling with anything more recent. indie and garage revival of 2000s is memed but there is such great music that should be worth exploring. modest mouse, flaming lips, strokes, white stripes, yeah yeah yeahs, tv on the radio, spoon, weezer, built to spill, metric, deerhunter, animal collective, dan deacon, black keys etc are all great connections to new music while being easy to relate to coming from older stuff. just kinda keep a bank of them and other mu stuff that you can flip through until somethign sticks, go with that thread, then return when you need something new. how i moved from classic rock phase. however def wasn't as deep as yours so it can't say it will be easy or even doable to escape the classic rock curse you see with lots of people

i heard QOTSA's Little Sister on MTV and thought it was amazing (first time I ever felt like that about a song). I checked out their albums and branched off from there.

this whole post makes want to scream

I've heard most of those and honestly my issue isn't so much being rooted in the past because I enjoy quite a few recent bands (tricot, King Gizzard, AnCo...), there aren't many really new bands I really enjoy. At its earliest it's the pillows who are pretty essential to me, but their best work was in the turn of the century - also Radiohead but that's kind of the same. I also got into shoegaze a while ago, oddly enough through Lush and Ride.

Anyhow, the issue is that I want to create music and I have the technical proficiency to do it on piano and bass but no one to make music with, and no idea of how to balance all these inspirations to make music I can look and say that it's good enough.

Basically this.
Without Sup Forums I would still be listening some rap mix CD on repeat

i would start with trying to reproduce the sound of whatever is in the arena of interest/direction you want to start. either directly covering or more so trying to reproduce a band will give you some tricks so when you move to the next one you can start to see where you can fit your touch in. eventually can just straight up write something

>grow up with parents listening to different shit (mom liked reggae and metal and shit, dad listened to guns n roses and dad rock stuff)
>listen to a lot of grunge as a kid
>high school, get stuck in mixed chorus class, discover singing talents and then proceeds to waste it in a pop punk band until graduation
>graduate high school, start writing music solo, get big into vastly different genres of music (rocksteady, reggae, jazz, progressive rock, hip hop)
>be in a big reggae jazz band for a number of years, meet some of my musical heroes, but get screwed by label guy
>marry wife, continue to write music for fun, ghostwrite for music licensing companies

Right now I am listening this cover an excellent rocksteady piece but these days I listen to a lot of Flying Lotus, the Dear Hunter, Chon (lol), and those shitty vaporwave stoner trip hop youtube comps and anything Trojan Records puts out

youtube.com/watch?v=g7b2LXTFkSc

def not patrician if you think that Sup Forums offers anywhere near enough exposure to music outside of the circle jerk.. to embody mu is to embody a hipster who thinks classic rock knowledge and a few esoteric selections gives a rounded and patrician taste. the albums here are very homogenous to esoteric within a tangible hipster style that makes anyone with better taste would instantly recognize as a "superior taste because of obscure works" thread of a bland cloth

Listen to Loveless by My Bloody Valentine

shit man that sucks

here's mine:
>in middle school
>really like coldplay
>always see comparisons of coldplay to radiohead so i decide to check them out
>I was starting to go through puberty and get emotional and shit so it was like a whole new world to me
>listen to them a bit and classical music which I was really into at the time
>few years later
>my friend Marc introduces me to Sup Forums
>think of it as a shitty degenerate place but still go on once in a while as a guilty pleasure
>decide to check out the music board cause I'm kinda into it
>don't get any of the memes or know any artists but I see that people on here are into radiohead
>start exploring other shit on here and get more deeply into music

>implying I already haven't listened to Sup Forumscore

The oldest you can be in 8th grade without being a held back retard is 14. Vaporwave existed but wasn’t that big until 2015. Op is probably an underaged attentionwhore

>gets iPod for Christmas in 5th grade
>sister loads it up with stuff like The beatles, pink floyd
>becomes classic rock elitist fag
>starts learning guitar
>spends middle school totally alone
>around 8th grade discovers RYM
>finds punk, post punk, indie
>gets hooked on radiohead, joy division, the clash, nmh
>high school
>gets hooked on 90s alt rock like nirvana and the smashing pumpkins
>very depressed but getting by
>at least have a few friends
>still obsessed with radiohead
>eventually taste goes extreme experimental until I find the beach boys and big star and remember what melody is
>gets to see nmh live and only cries twice
>graduates
>finally find a group of friends with common interests and similar love of music
>finds Sup Forums
>expands taste even more
>works part time at pet store while doing home recording stuff on the side

Things have been looking up lads

>listen to Nirvana and Metallica, ska punk and hardcore punk
>visit Sup Forums
>realize how infinite the world of music is and how shallow mainstream music is
>become patrician

>up until like middle school don’t give a shit about music
>start listening to shitty rap and top 40 to fit in, still don’t really give a shit about music
>fast forward to high school
>still don’t really give a shit, but have my own shit taste now, ffdp, rise against
>again fast forward to last year
>make a “white culture” playlist as a meme
>start listening to edgy early 90s to early 2000 shit, Nirvana, blink 182, sum 41
>completely unironically I like it
>Dad had dadrock tastes, decide fuck it and give it a chance
>now slowly working my way through the Beatles and The Who as a start

Don’t really know where I’d like to end up, but I could listen to Who’s Next all day and be fine so I might be just where I need to be

> punk parents
> grew up listening to hardcore, crossover thrash, skate punk, 2tone ska, and post-punk
> become faggy goth kid in middle school
> get really into deathrock, no wave, and old school industrial in high school
> become a huge cunt about music and go on Sup Forums circa 2009
> still listen to all of the same music
> still a faggy goth
> still a cunt about music
But now i listen to hiphop, pop, shoegaze, midwest emo, folk punk, and really whatever i like.