Question if I buy a Seagate backup plus from Amazon America would it work in Australia if I got a America to Australian...

Question if I buy a Seagate backup plus from Amazon America would it work in Australia if I got a America to Australian power adaptor

yes are you fucking retarded all it does is use a USB port to connect to the pc

not necessarily, many large drives still need a power input and I'm pretty sure AUS runs on 240v.

But does it work upside down?

I think we use 230V

Yes. All power blocks do all voltages and phases now, far cheaper to manufacture. You will need a plug converter though.

Larger Seagate drives use 12vdc to run the drive in addition to the USB connection

It needs a power adaptor

Marketed 240V, actually 230V (RMS). Peak ~415V. 50Hz.

Ahahaha fucking brainlet doesn't understand that HDD platters always drains counterclockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere because of the Coriolis force an acceleration imparted by the Earth's rotation. Even SSDs are affected because of the volatile 128 gigahertz DRAM

Good. Just bought it, by the sounds of things i just need to buy an adaptor

Are you actually retarded?

>buying anything from '"amazon'"
>shipping HDD through domestic airmail

Enjoy your DOA paperweight, I'd recommend a Toshiba locally rather than shitgate or wd

DOA paper weight?

You need to find a power brick that has 12v and 3.3v rails that match or exceeds the amperage listed on the US brick for each rail (and fit's the port) or use a 240v-110v step down transformer with a US style socket which could be expensive to buy and not terribly efficient

dead on arrival

Nah it should be well packaged and have shit loads of bubble wrap

Actually 240v. Calculations are made at 230v when sizing conductors to include a safety margin.

And yes it will work. Even just by bending the American pins to 45 degrees to fit the socket.

Most ELV transformers have a spec input from 110 to 250v so they only have to make one generic power supply and change the pins depending on region

The fuck would I need any of that? Why can't I get a straight up USA to Australian power adapter and then plug it in and it works?

I did that with my laptop when I was in Hawaii afew months ago, I plugged my Lenovo charger into a Australian to USA adapter and it charged fine

>mfw chinese investors bought the local power station and run shit at 257v +/-5v so all the chinese crap bunnings sells lasts weeks or months at best

lmao

Laptop power supplies are dual voltage, they can operate anywhere from 100-240 volts but it's not universal on other low power devices

This is the dumbest fucking question. Do you no fuck all about anything? Of course it will work you stupid fuck.

Except... it is.

Bridge rectification one choke rectification stage, one cap rectification stage, smash it down to 5v or thereabouts. China basically only make one style of ELV transformer, and they make 500 squillion of them... all the same.

It will be fine. So will your electric toothbrush charger and your phone charger and your clock radio and anything that runs below 24v.

The only things that don't work well across different supply voltages have mains voltage motors, heating or lighting.

Underated post.

I work in IT. In short, yes, but you would want to run it off a separate power supply. A wall converter won't work for your application. Basically you would need the wall converter but also a US type APC. With that running you can then plug in your drive. Otherwise the voltage and frequency variations would cause problems in the drive rotation when saving files and corrupting them, it would also cause errors with reading. If you want to avoid those issues then get an external drive that can run solely off USB power.

that can be compensated if you turn the HDD on its head.
That is the main reason those drives where invented.

Depends. I have a Seagate 2TB backup drive and it doesn't require a power supply, just USB.

Definitely should have got a usb powered one. fucking retard