Rym sucks

rym sucks

It's alright. It's just as subjected to hype as anything else. Do you have any alternatives?

You care too much about the top AOTY, kek

Is just random people opinions, the majority is just bullshit

The only album that shouldn't be on this list is DAMN, otherwise seems pretty alright.

>muh Twin Peaks
Yeah, sure

>Twin Peaks

fucking cringe

besides that it's fine

Twin Peaks is the single most overrated thing ever created.

every rap album shouldnt be on the list

Not one singer

LYNCHED

>niggers crying they got LYNCHED both figuratively and literally

based

I genuinely love the old show, but the new one is diarrhoea.

is it always the same retard posting these threads?

>t. tiny brain

season 3 on par with season 1

>implying any of those are bad

come back in a few years

> Twin Peaks, Mount Eerie
Ok

The shitty (c)rap garbage tho

It really isnt. The cinematography is comically bad, there isn't a single convincing special effect, the music is underdeveloped and reliant on established David Lynch themes despite the fact that this show's goal was to take things in a new direction, and we're forced to linger for ridiculous amounts of time on uninteresting bullshit.

>but it's SUPPOSED to be hollow, boring, and pointless!

Yep.

jesus christ why are namefags always so retarded peebrains with NO EXCEPTIONS

You know it's a really, REALLY bad year for *music when Tyler, the Creator is the only thing that deserves to be there.

*mainstream music, because you just know the obligatory fag's gonna say "hurr durr listen to more music"

Eraserhead is the only good thing he’s made and it’s just Kafka in film.

Great counter

Horrible taste. Bow down to Angelo you fucking plebs

i really understand not liking the show for it being boring but honestly the special effects are some of the most interesting i've seen in mainstream tv
and ep 8 has very convincing effects regardless....

Episode 8 was overrated garbage with an obviously fake mushroom cloud, constantly bad lighting, comical "Hobos in Blackface" imagery, fake blood that even I could do a better job at, and a CG beetle that looks like it was plucked from a Pixar movie.

It's a series of vignettes where Lynch is trying to make the images as "arresting" and "captivating" as possible, and the result makes it feel like a film student trying to emulate Lynch instead of Lynch continuing to do brilliant things.

>overrated
literally "stop liking things": the word
fuck off

No, it isn't. Criticising a piece of art (and perceiving how it is praised by the zeitgeist) by commenting on its undeserved success is not "STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE".

i think you're being a tad hyperbolic with everything but the manfly. think that was a bit cheap, yet i think a lot of the appeal to lynch post-2000 is the unnerving and cheap effects
and really your second claim holds no ground. that's the whole show?

It literally is. There's no such thing as "undeserved success", you're only saying it's undeserved because you don't like it and other people do.
Your opinions aren't facts and you should stop trying to make people perceive them as such. It's okay to just dislike things, you know?

No I'm talking about that episode in particular. And also, cheap effects don't make anything jarring in an artistic way. It reminds me of the bad green screen stuff in The Room.

I get that the new Twin Peaks has a meta quality to it, but nobody is clever enough to do stupid shit and pass it off as art. Not even Lynch. The entire thing with Michael Cera was another meta thing that was worth less than nothing.

>b-but art is s-s-subjective
Then why bother arguing about quality at all? This is a bad point you're making.

Shut up tripfag

I suck cocks for fun

Occasionally

Check em

You can discuss how you perceive a piece of art without coming out as an arrogant prick who thinks his opinion is the only worthwhile one like you're doing right now.
And considering all your criticisms so far are exaggerations on nitpicky technical issues you're not really doing a great job of selling your opinion. What do you think of the writing?

Regardless of your thoughts on it, Twin Peaks season 3 is the only show that could be considered a work of art, and for that alone I respect it

i know... but you can't view the show in isolation like that- was something lynch himself made clear.
and i think that's contradictory. how is artistic intent supposed to hold any weight in being jarring (i suppose that's what you mean bc it's quite vague). your associating doesn't cheapen it at all either. your problems seem mainly of that type
really though lynch has emphasized the subjective qualities of this one too, so i don't think it has much to offer for you

You're basically just saying that if I prefaced my entire post with "IN MY OPINION" you wouldn't have a problem with any of that. That's just semantic, and extraneous. 99 per cent of the people on this board don't bother with framing it from that personal perspective. That doesn't make them arrogant for having a firm opinion and expressing it.

pathetic

What? The cinematography was amazing. The special effects were convincing when they needed to be, and an artistic choice otherwise. Maybe they didn't work for you, but they weren't just bad. Look. at some of Lynch's artwork or shorts, very similar aesthetic. The only times we lingered on uninteresting bullshit was the sweeping seen, everything else served a purpose

picrelated is better than all 5 in OP desu

seconded

>You're basically just saying that if I prefaced my entire post with "IN MY OPINION" you wouldn't have a problem with any of that.
You don't have to do that, in fact I don't want you to do that. I want you to state an opinion without coming out as a prick who thinks his opinion is the only one that should exist, and that's exactly what you're doing.
Basically I just really fucking hate the word "overrated".

Dog, he's also said that it was meant to be watched all at once, but decided to air the show on a station where his episodes would be broken up, forcing viewers to wait each week.

Context and precedent is important, but if there are a tonne of things bogging down something, then it's the fault of the people who made it. There have been a lot of bad problems with cinematography, lighting, and special effects throughout the show. The actors are also doing a mediocre job most of the time. When Laura Dern and Naomi Watts show up, it reminds me that they're genuinely talented and that most of the people in the show can't really act well at all.

I wouldn't agree with this either.

The depth of field is always really shallow, in nearly every scene, and the SFX artists consistently screw up things like photoshopping signs onto buildings, rendering wounds with CG, and compositing people into a vehicle without the green from the greenscreen making its way into the scene. If I were posting from my computer I would post screencaps of these blunders.

But Michael Cera served no purpose except to poke fun at James, and that scene went on way too long. The musical acts are hipster bait. The gratuity of the Dougey plotline feels as if Lynch is deliberately wasting his audience's time to fuel his masturbatory status. So much of the show is unnecessary.

Do you feel as passionately about the word "underrated"? Or "properly rated"? They're just terms that recognise the zeitgeist. I wasn't *trying* to come off as arrogant.

Cinematography was fine. Why is the shows quality suddenly tied to special effects? Why didn't you mention writing even once? Do you know what series you're watching?

Wouldn't agree that its art or that there are other shows?
The Michael Cera scene was funny as fuck, that was its purpose. Comedy is even more subjective in some ways so I know it didn't work for a lot of people, but it had me in stitches.
The musical acts were fucking credits. There was no time wasted on music. He could have just not included them and went straight to credits early. Just don't watch them if you don't like them. They also weren't bait, thats the music that Lynch likes.

And the Dougie plot line was simply amazing. It was incredibly emotional and funny. He was wasting no time at all, that was the time. In terms of Twin Peaks narrative, The Return could have just been the last two episodes. But instead he gave us a whole new set of characters and stories to invest in and enjoy to frame his idea of a resolution to Twin Peaks.

Underrated doesn't really have the same conotation since it's usually just used to describe something that was generally overlooked, whereas I see so many people in this board just scream like babies about how something is overrated just because they don't like it.
"Properly rated" just sounds dumb idunno

Don't mind me, I like to pontificate guys.

Because he focuses so much on it. If it were a relatively unimportant thing I wouldn't care. Inland Empire also had shit effects. And it isn't the *main* reason I dislike The Return. Just a big one.

Other show.

But in general I think everything you're talking about meanders and doesn't have enough substance to pull that off. The original show did that a lot too, but it seemed integral to building an atmosphere. Here I feel like I'm being pandered to or that I'm watching fluff.

I just don't see the inherent negativity in it. In order for the underrated to receive attention, the overrated needs to receive less. There is a limited economy of attention.

i understand that gripe but really it wouldn't have been produced otherwise. give and take
and the production.... was p much headed by lynch. i do agree with some subpar acting jobs in supporting roles, but i think everyone in the main cast (besides lynch and the ones dying) did a very above average job (in the context of a lynch work).
and i'm interested to know what you're particularly talking about w cinematography and lighting? i thought lighting in particular was very interesting and odd throughout. i also enjoyed many of the static shots

>why doesn't this surreal show have realistic effects

no

>it's surreal, so it gets a pass for looking comically fake
Watch Under the Skin, plen.

That's fair, I just feel the opposite way. The original one was the one with the tendency to pander whereas the return was actually stuffed with substance. We may also have different definitions of substance. I loved the feeling that a lot of the season felt like little short films dedicated to different twin peaks characters, and felt that everything here served to create an atmosphere to even greater effect than the original series, albeit a very different one

Okay, the lighting is a problem because every scene is lit poorly. And it's especially grating because of the fact that it inherently has to be compared to the original.

Most of the shots are aloof and put on some sort of dolly or low hanging crane/prop. That's fine if you're making a movie/show with lots of edits, or a realistic drama with interpersonal self-discovery. But there's as much melodrama as there's ever been in a David Lynch work, with inappropriately flat lighting and no close-ups most of the time. There is no energy to anything, even when something as silly as Jerry talking about getting fucking baked is happening.

Okay, that can be fine, because David has a long history of using contrast to do interesting things. But he doesn't even utilise the light/dark contrast well in order for me to buy this as an excuse. I'm talking both literally light/dark photography and the themes being light/dark in fits and starts. The nighttime scenes use the same camera positions, blocking, and lighting techniques as the daytime scenes. It might be okay for those day scenes to be flat, generically lit, and generally not shot well if the night scenes provided something crazily different to tell the audience that things are going to get weirder, and crazier.

But this lasts throughout the whole show. It's amazing how every other major drama I've seen in the last five years has such great cinematography whereas the return of the show that paved the way for improved cinematography of the entire medium screwed it up.

the fact that fleet foxes isn't #1 is mind boggling. all these fucking redditors can relate to brockhampton so much because they love black

I completely agree, s3 was garbage and people won't look back on it like the 90s version

I don't think there was TOO MUCH pandering going on in the original show until the mystery gets solved. It takes on the melodramatic structure of a soap, and a lot of that is reflected in the dialogue as well as the sharp lighting and extensive use of close-ups. Of course, that made the crazy shit far crazier as a result.

Eh, pander isn't the right word for the new show, and isn't a fair way to describe it at all. Lynch certainly made The Return as alienating to fans of the original as possible right out of the gate. I can't, and don't, fault him for that.

>screwed it up
All your points are totally valid, but I think part of your distaste for the show is coming from you belief that they simply made tons of mistakes and put in low effort. Again, it's fine if everything in it didn't work for you, but Lynch obsessed over every aspect of the show, from costumes to writing to sound to editing etc. He was in the editing room tinkering for months after everything was done, tweaking sound and color palate and making sure very cut was where he wanted it. Nothin in The Return was screwed up, it was exactly how the artist wanted it. So maybe it doesn't affect you at all and so you dislike, that's fine, but I think some of your thoughts on it being overrated or bad are falsely substantiated.

crack up has 2 good songs imo

I don't think it had too much either, I love the first two seasons. And I get what you're saying, but I hardly think the return was masturbatory unless you define masturbatory as the artist doing what he wants. Lynch wasn't trying to stroke his ego or anything of the sort, he had a vision and work incredibly hard to bring it to life exactly as he saw it. Then it's up to the viewer to interpret or like or dislike, and I think both sides are entirely welcome. But again it just seems like we have very different preferences in what we're watching, you brought up Inland Empire as a bad example but that's my favorite Lynch movie

I mean screwed up in the sense that it "didn't work", not that Lynch is just a lazy asshole.

But eh. I don't even *hate* the show. I managed to sit through the whole thing, at least. I just think a lot of what made it in were mistakes. Not from lack of care, necessarily.

Of course they're falsely substantiated. I'm one of those people who has the conscious need to argue over any trivial topic on an anonymous message board. I'll see you at the next engagement.

I only brought that up because the effects were bad, but wanted to emphasise that even though the effects were bad the movie didn't just linger on them. I like that movie a lot.

But yeah, those are all fair point. I just dislike that Lynch (even according to people who loved the new show) seemed to be toying with his fans and stringing them along with superfluous plot details that took 3 episodes too long to resolve or move forward in a substantial way. That's pretty self-indulgent to me.

Yeeee buddy.

I agree with twin peaks but everything else is shit

Ah I see, that makes sense. I guess I just don't see it as toying. I don't see an artist as sincere as Lynch limiting the execution or content of his vision simply to mess with people. I think the forward motion of the season didn't matter to him and he enjoyed just sitting in a certain setting or atmosphere. Being superfluous to the plot is not a bad thing, because plot is not the main focus of the show throughout most of it. But I suppose we're both just assuming the intent of the artist and I agree that it would be self indulgent to worry at all about messing with the audience

To be fair, people have been making false assumptions about Lynch for decades and even somebody as generally smart and fair-minded as Ebert dismissed him for silly reasons.

>it’s just Kafka in film
Just Kafka, kekel
>Wild at Heart
>Lost Highway
>Inland Empire
>Bad

What are your favourite films then, guessing some edgy avant-teen core.