How good was this guy actually?

How good was he, how was he perceived during his career, where does he rank in history?

Barthez was shit.

Utterly Average
Utterly Average
Somewhere average

meme keeper with a lot of flopping flashy saves
carried by excellent defense in world cup and euros

Lloris>Barthez
we should all agree here

if he played today he'd be much higher rated, as the meme sweeper keeper is all the rage

Also ITT, post your favorite gks

>
>75842138

Yeah probably, Barthez is a meme but it's a bit more complicated than that. He actually had some fucking goat tier moments, especially in the NT.

do frenchies like him?

he was absolute garbage, i thought he was like 160 or some shit as he seemed like a midget since he couldnt catch shit

barthez is comparable to gomes

Anyone remembering 98 especially when they were kids like him. His antics, flashy saves, crazy decisions,he is like /ourguy/ in a sense.

His performances at the 98 an 00 tournaments were the best I've ever saw on a goal keeper. To bad he lacked consistency. Otherwise he would be a goat by now.

Great for a guy his size

Ignore Sup Forums they think Lloris is world class

He's a national hero along with Zidane

When i was younger cunts at school used to say he was a legit french poofter for some reason

this guy was the original absolute madman

he was GOAT at pulling his shorts up and generally looking like a deranged sexual offender to put off penalty takers

Was he in Man U?

here's your answer

>How good was he
He was okay, but prone to brain farts with this propensity increasing exponentially as his career went on

>how was he perceived during his career
There was a period where he was extraordinarily overrated, but people generally came to see the truth about him

>where does he rank in history
That's a difficult question to answer. Nowhere, I guess? Ya, he won the World Cup but he was never anywhere near being the top keeper in the world even in his prime. It's impossible to say where he ranks because there are just so many players ahead of him.

Kek almost forgot about him, I remember I was at elementary school during his "prime" and we were often laughing at him being utter shit
Back than we didn't know the word meme but damn he was fucking meme

we used to call him farthez at high school