If the center of the milky way galaxy is a black hole why aren't we slowly falling into it

if the center of the milky way galaxy is a black hole why aren't we slowly falling into it

>if I’m a retard who doesn’t understand basic astronomy why am I asking groundbreaking questions about astronomy? Btw the earth is flat. Checkmate sphere cucks

we are, slowly

because earth is flat

The same reason that the Earth doesn't get sucked in by the Sun's gravity. Everything is orbiting at a sufficient rate of speed to counter-balance the gravitational pull and maintain an stable orbit. FYI, the solar system orbits through the milky way as well.

Black holes are NOT unstoppable engines of destruction user. It's just a very, very, very dense object that has intense gravity...within a limited range. If you're just a little outside of its event horizon, you're fine.

Because there is more than one hole.

can you fuck it?

>if the sun has gravity, why haven't we fallen into it...

>if the earth has gravity, why hasn't the moon smashed into earth yet...

Because the universe is expanding

Up to u darling

with enough force, you can.

Actually, we are drifting towards the sun. The rate of orbit is decaying slowly. And the larger an object is, the faster it happens. Earth is losing roughly 4-5 cm per year, vs Jupiter, which is moving closer by 15 cm per year. Nothing to panic about, but entropy always takes its pound of flesh.

Centrifugal force, and dark energy

Fortunately, our sun isn't a black hole, so?????

Because Bubble theory

I was pointing out that there is no such thing as a "stable orbit." Even with a living star, there is a finite amount of energy in the system, and that eventually that energy will be spent, so the orbit decays. The same can be said of the galactic core. There is a supermassive black hole, or a series of them, which creates the force to set the galaxy in motion. However, there is still a limit on the energy, the only difference is scale.

Being incinerated isn't any better than being spaghettified.

photosynthesis

To be honest, when I said "being out of it's range" I was thinking spaceship, not planetary body. IE, you could cruise up nice and close to a black hole, and study/observe the shit out of it, for as long as you want, as long as you stay out of it's event horizon. Then fly away. It's not going to suddenly leap out and get you!

So yeah, I see what you're saying.

Your statement is correct... just not the correct answer for OP's question

Ah yes, dark energy. That thing that we can clearly define.
my niggas

Implying you're safe outside the event horizon.

Meaning the space between most galaxies is being stretched...

what is astrodynamics and how does basic physics affect our daily life?

It looks like I replied to the wrong post, I meant to click the one above your original statement. Sorry about that, but I could swear I clicked that user's instead.
However, I don't think it's so simple as just hovering outside the event horizon. Imagine trying to study a whirlpool with a boat. To get meaningful data, you basically have to allow yourself to be caught in the event. That is what scientists are trying to do with probes and instruments. The real difficulty is the fact that the black hole will swallow any data that you try to collect and beam back out. That has created an interesting study in the physics world. If you haven't already, might look up Hawking radiation, and see how they're trying to study the data by its "echo."

If I stop believing in gravity will I just drift off into space?

And what do you think happends to the galaxies?

Dark energy isn't *really* right, so pointing it out is meh~

You should however point out the absurdity of Dark Matter, as it is very much related to our trip around the black hole

Actually yes, according to the theory of dark energy. This causes expansion on a universal scale which, in the distant future, will lead to heat entropy and the Big Freeze, ending reality as we know it. According the the theory...

*The Big Rip*

but his isn't why massive things don't fall into each other

Eventually gravity will no longer be able to keep them together and they will be ripped apart.

We are

>range of gravity

The same thing that happens to toasters in a toaster repair contest on opposite day.

That is a speculation based on mathematical models. We still have no proof that this is happening.

Actually the range of gravity is limitless in theory. It's the momentum in object's orbits that overcomes gravity, meaning you need less momentum at greater distance.

>most of what we know isn't speculation based on mathematical models

You cant prove natural models, you dumbfuck

I should have waited 30sec

This new post is way more deserving of implication ridicule

Who says we havent already? How would we know.

This is true. The Earth's gravity "pulls" on the apple but the apple also pulls on the Earth. Earth "wins" of course but the apple has gravity. The single particle of dust in your keyboard is pulling on Emma Watson's panties, it's pulling on Jupiter, it's pulling on the Voyager space craft and everything else in the universe simultaneously. Your hand is also pulling on my dick, no shit.

When science meets /b

All bitches be gravitationally tuggin on this cock

fuck space

The reach of a black hole is limited to its event horizon. Once matter reaches the event horizon it destined for destruction but beyond the event horizon as far as i understand it is irrelevant how close a black hole is. That being said. As a black hole consumes more matter it will grow in size and thus increase the reach of its event horizon

Because its moving slowly because the distance is so huge

That's effectively saying that we can never prove that 2 + 2 = 4, that we can only speculate using an equation as a mathematical model. Once we understand the building blocks of the equation, and have measurable data, we can extrapolate. I.e.: we can calculate the amount of energy in the equation, (mass of the Sun, Earth) and the potential energy (reactive material in the suns fusion process), and observe the behavior over a period of time. So, no, we can't give exact coordinates of where it will be in say, precisely 3 years, 6 months, 14 days and 26 minutes, but we can predict that there will be a significant amount of decay over the millennia.

We could already be in it, we just aren't aware yet.

all the traps are tugging on it too ...

But, as an object's gravitational pull is still based on mass and density, your dick still has the smallest amount of Graviton emission in the measurable universe.

While scientifically true, you can't deny that your lips are being drawn to it at this very moment.

Well done. But, the same can be said of your lips being drawn to my dick. I believe we have the first-ever case of an unintentional 69, driven entirely by astrophysics!

We could find pretty accurate numbers too if we knew enough information

Yet th moon is slowly escaping from the Earth.

This is a silly thread.

Answer to OP's question is, "Because silly string theory."

That is because all celestial bodies affect one another, just as Jupiter's tidal gravitation helps protect us from a huge amount of solar winds and radiation. Therefore, the sun is a much larger impact than the Earth, and is causing the Moon's orbit to destabilize, bit by bit. But, the Sun would be in its Red Giant phase before it would become an issue to us, and will have expanded beyond both the Moon and the Earth, so there's not too much to worry about.

This has now become an existential dilemma for me, I've opened a can of worms that I would now like to close. I can accept the fact that the lips of billions people are involuntarily attracted to my dick, but I have trouble reconciling the possibility that my lips are on hypothetical contact with 4 billion dicks. It's a world orgy out there right now and I'm on my way to some quantum stds, relativity speaking.

I always preferred the title of the "spooky action at a distance" theory!

Just keep reminding yourself that complex physics is like an Arkansas wedding.

It's ALL relative.

if I remember correctly its cause there is nothing close enough to the blackhole for its gravity to pull it into but nothing can escape its gravitational pull and thats why we have galaxys

like for sure earth would fall in if you could move it close enough

the same reason we aren't falling into the sun