Hip Hop Modern Classics

Hip Hop Albums from 2010 to now that will become classic.

Prepare for angry replies insisting TPAB isn't as good as people say it is.

tpab and gkmc are already classics, no need to wait around

TPAB is the most important hip hop album ever made

These

Both of Earl's albums will be viewed as classics. RTJ 2 AND 3 hopefully will be.

Pic related is THE greatest hip hop debut

tpab might become classic but i think GKMC is gonna hold up way better

WE

WUZ

>albums are 10- years old
>classics
>this level of delusion
Further proof the Kendick bubble is close to bursting and soon he'll be seen as the overrated meme rapper he is.

I remember how i thought, that Chance the Rapper will never get to mainstream but look at him now.

>time is the maker of classic albums
sorry but it isn't. Quality is. Kendick is as firmly established in the rap game hierarchy right now as Tupac was in the '90s and as Kanye was in the '00s. your opinion on them isn't relevant to their classic status.

seriously, what makes you think fans will turn?

Some pretty good picks for mainstream classics. But I think pic will eventually be considered a pretty important cult, underground classic for its unique approach to hip hop, and may help be a sort of jumping point for the next genre mingling between hip hop/non-hip hop.
>tpab might become classic but i think GKMC is gonna hold up way better
I can see why you would hold this opinion. GKMC is far more easy to digest, and has the more "banger" tracks. But at the same time, I personally think that because it takes longer to digest due to being far more dense, that TPAB will overtake GKMC even among those that maintain that GKMC is better because of potential revisits to TPAB only revealing more of it's depth. Not only that, but if certain race based events are looked at in a more positive light in the future, that'll make TPAB seem even more relevant.

ITT

>an underage's definition of "classic"
Makes sense.

good thing the grown up was here to put me in my place

So are you implying that newer albums can't be considered high quality enough to be a classic?

“I said to myself, I couldn’t have this album without this record [“u”]” Kendrick says. “The overall theme, for me personally, for this album is really leadership. How can I use it for better or for worse? With money and with my celebrity, how can I use it? How can I pimp it? Can I pimp it negatively or can I pimp it in a positive way? Positive for me, is showing what I go through with “u” and how I bring it back with “i” and saying ‘I still love myself at the end of the day.'”

>classic albums
>posts mixtape

Post something or stop acting so dumpy buddy.

They can't be classic because they ARE new, retard.

aha yeah i remember listening to acid rap in high school, and while it wasnt exactly underground most people wouldnt know him at all... kinda a shame in a way, doubt he'll ever make anything as good

i think thats a good point - i feel like TPAB will be a 'landmark' album in a social/cultural kinda sense but to me its like a revolver vs sgt pepper situation - revolver is way better, in my opinion at least, but sgt pepper is remembered more as a cultural phenomenon

How long ago did the last hip hop classic come out and what was it? Try not to embarrass yourself too hard here

Do you honestly believe its more important than Illmatic, The Chronic, 36 Chambers, Straight Outta Compton, or The Low End Theory?

I was referencing more shit like Baltimore protests singing Alright, and some of the more race shit on the album. Don't get me wrong, I myself relate most to the record when he's talking strictly about his personal struggles, but there's that other element as well. Hell it may even be more all encompassing because it has a track that criticizes extremist behavior in the black community, too.

aha whats the difference other than marketing and perhaps signifying a more lo-fi sound? most people seem to include mixtapes, especially in rap where mixtapes are often a better summary of an artists work than the album

How the fuck should I know? I don't listen to hip-hop, I'm talking about the qualifications for an album to be considered a "classic".

What is this record?

>I'm talking about the qualifications for an album to be considered a "classic".
Alright, so since you insist you know the 'qualifications', how long should it take for an album to be considered a classic? 5 years after it's releases? 10? How long is long enough?

At least 10 for sure. Anything less would just look like a holdover from the original hype storm.

The revolver vs sgt peppers was exactly what I had in mind as well when I posted that reply.
Third Side Of Tape by Lil Ugly Mane. It's a collage of a variety of some of his old unreleased tracks ranging from genres like hip hop, dark ambient, acid house, black metal, etc. and puts it all together in a mostly instrumental hip hop tape.

absolutely. i think the only one of those that can compete illmatic. but i think in a few years you'll see every hip hop list top with TPAB then Illmatic #2

trash

okay

I think it's sold and will be a classic, any fool who thinks GKMC is better (unless your saying in terms of story telling vs a more loose narrative, then your a nog). Also what's a bigger artistic feat, honestly. An album that ends with you coming to love yourself and accept who you are as a person, or you dealing with struggles of life. Honestly the play back to back extremely well but GK,MC is to poppy for me and I think lacks the impact of TPAB will in time.

hip hop peaked in the 90's. the majority of modern stuff is uninspired soulless garbage. anyone who thinks this is the golden era of hip hop is a sensationalist drone who probably hasn't had an original thought in their life.

fucking terrible

decent

It's a shame that he'll never top this because he's sober

You know I always hear about how innovative and great these kendrick lamar and Frank ocean people are, but they all sound like shit to me

Yeah Coloring Book wasn't very good, and you know it's just going to go down from there.

if you know you know

While I agree the best shit is in the 90s that doesn't mean there hasn't been solid stuff released since. But in terms of quality the best is in the 90's.

Dude I'm so glad, people though I was crazy for thinking it was fucking trash.

I'm not someone who overdramatizes like everyone else here. Coloring Book had some great songwriting but some filler too. Acid Rap was better, sure, but you're just a fucking loser if you didn't like Coloring Book.

Literally, factually incorrect.

What do you think the most important hip hop album is?

unfortunately i agree, he compromised a lot of what made him interesting to succeed

It's dark and hell is hot

m8, To Pimp A Butterfly hasn't even went platinum yet if we discount streaming, and it's only been out for 2 years. What do you think the word "Important" means? An important hip-hop album would be something like Illmatic, 36 Chambers, etc. Hell, even 808s and Heartbreak is more important. An important album is an album that helps shape the future of the genre. TPAB is not doing that.

What's it like being that stupid? It must be limiting.

I actually agree with this.

not an argument.

>To Pimp A Butterfly hasn't even went platinum yet if we discount streaming,
that's like only counting vinyl sales in the 90s. streaming is the main way of music consumption

It's pointless arguing with an idiot. If you can't form a cogent thought to begin with you're not worth respecting.

one of the few right answers itt

This one.

t. brainlet. You still haven't described what makes TPAB "the most important hip-hop album" yet.

There's still albums that reach platinum on album sales alone, like DAMN has went platinum even if you remove streaming.

See

So you take the time to write "Well I could explain it but I wont" but you don't take the time to actually explain it (because you can't). Go back to listening to Kendrick talk about how his dick ain't free, brainlet.

>brainlet

Really hope you don't use this irl so cringe even online

Not an argument.

>he put MBDTF in both the "trash" and "okay" sections
What did he mean by this?

masterpiece

ever thought that TPAB is not the most accessible music he has ever made?

how sad