Which aged (or will age) worse, 90's cynical "alternative" humor like Daria, Ren and Stimpy...

Which aged (or will age) worse, 90's cynical "alternative" humor like Daria, Ren and Stimpy, Beavis and Butthead or the 2010's ironic anti humor forced sadness shit like Rick and Morty and Bojack Horseman?

Other urls found in this thread:

avclub.com/article/why-world-did-daria-have-thigh-gap-236630
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Well how would we know if it hasn't happen yet? You fucking suck

Rick and Morty redditor detected

I haven't seen Rick and Morty or Bojack, but your 90s examples have aged fine.

I couldn't really say?

I guess Daria will age worse with of all of the very precise references to nineties culture

Beavis and Butt-Head and Daria are completely different. The former belongs nowhere else but the early 90s.

All of them has or will

Nothing from this decade could possibly age worse than South Park.

I thought these 2 were asian when I was a kid.

All the current "self referential anti-humor, it's all been done before and here is us tiresomely pointing it out and being ironic lol" will be dirt in less than 10 years. It's because we've lived in a stagnant era of this kind of shit, remakes, reboots, etc. with no one breaking new ground, so when another Renaissance finally and inevitably does happen again, all of this current shit will look pussified and cowardly.

People are already tired of all the "safe" faggotry clogging up everything, and you're honestly asking if it will "age better" than shit from the 90's?

The problem is I cant tell if those shows have aged or if they were never good and I'm not a kid anymore.

But yeah man, all comedy ages to some extent.

i rewatched some daria episodes the other days and its just fine. i'm sure any 15-17years-old from this generation could get the whole "people are dumb. anyways" humour. You just grew up out if it, user, doesn't mean teenagers nowadays won't get it.

anyways, boxing daria was great

Daria is to the 90s what The Breakfast Club was to the 80s.

that "forced sadness shit" is called absurdism.

it's the absurdity and tragedy of life and frankly I think it's good for western animation to have shows like that.

This is right.

Rick and Morty has already aged out.

DVDs with original audio

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:2ad5e2c91cabad928d0ac7fdd579eea63bb33b50&dn=Daria+Restoration+Project+(TV+Complete)&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.zer0day.to%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.opentrackr.org%3A1337

GEE QUINN

star wars episode 1

why don't you

Enjoy watching it in its maximum resolution of 1080p instead of superior 4K ready film thanks to Whorge Pukas.

If you can't appreciate old culture for what it meant at the time as well as what it is now you need to leave Sup Forums. I bet you fags don't even watch silent movies.

>Daria
passes the test of time pretty handily
>Ren and Stimy
never liked it as a kid, no one gives a shit now
>Beavis and Butthead
not well remembered, tied to dumb music videos, not a story, no one cares
>Rick and Morty
hard to say right now, but honestly? I don't see the people of 2030 giving a fuck.
>Bojack Horseman
it will be considered a classic.

rick and morty has better writing than daria

That would be American Beauty

>ironic anti humor forced sadness shit like Rick and Morty

Can you clarify this? I've been watching it lately and there's no over irony or any kind of semblance of "anti-humor" at all. Nor is there any forced sadness. In fact the show has plenty of good moments like Morty comforting his not sister, Jerry and Beth always reconciling, etc.

No. GOAT kids show, tied with Pete and pete. Videos and commentary was the best part. Who knows? Wrong.

I was with you until your opinion of Bojack Horseman. Holy shit

Ren and Stimpy has great animation

None of the 2010s shows can compete in that department

I think Rick and Morty is pretty funny, could someone point out to me what makes it shitty other than calling it 'reddit'?

That is a dumb as fuck comparison

Rick And Morty is pretty well animated I'd say. Ren And Stimpy has a distinct aesthetic for sure.

daria a shit

>did you see last nights daria?

said no one ever

If you weren't so young you would have heard that exact phrase quite a few times.
But yeah the show is trash

>being a generator of water cooler talk is a good marker of quality

Your opinion a shit. Go watch game of thrones for your manufactured suspense

what's the difference?

>comparing Camus and Beckett to Rick and Morty and Bojack Horseman

I pgysically cringed. You illiterate, dirty neckbeard.

no motherfuckers talked about that shit at my school. corny ass show desu

The general backlash comes from it being overhyped, it's good, i like it, but when it first came out and at the end of Season 2 with that Johnny Cash song everyone was shitting their britches like this was the best shit ever when it isn't.

Secondly the humor, and specifically Rick's Humor, is like 90% of the show, so if you don't like that character the shows pretty much gone for you. Plus all the trite ass "THE WORLD IS MEANINGLESS LMAO LOOK HOW SMART WE ARE FOR ENJOYING A FICTIONAL UNIVERSE TO JUSTIFY OUR COLLECTIVE DEPRESSION!"

Basically it's just 'good' with a very specific humor that doesn't solely prop up a 'good' show, so people backlash against it, call it reddit ect ect.

Yeah, whatever. Daria thread.

daria was my first waifu.was too young to realize girls like her dont exist. maybe shitty fake ones tat pretend they are like her

Don't listen to this guy. Sup Forums just hates it because it's popular. All the "reasons" they put forth for what makes it so bad are entirely pulled out of their asses.

Ironic that a board that is full of miserable, lonely people would detest a show for having themes of existential depression, calling such moments "forced."

Quinn is best girl.

This is what they think she should be like:
avclub.com/article/why-world-did-daria-have-thigh-gap-236630

>t "self referential anti-humor, it's all been done before

By what?

Nah they exist. They're all just too good for us plebs

>implying an asian manlet could be kevin
For the most part I don't remember daria having any major referential items in the plot, like about the election, or the latest antics of Madonna. You really are immersed in the world of Lawndale. All the characters are flawed to a degree, but you become sympathetic to them, and feel good when you see Quinn and Daria grow.

>dat thicc sailor moon
wtf I love sjws now

Well Im convinced. Sup Forums hates Rick & Morty show because they don't want to believe people outside of Sup Forums can be cynical about life as they are.

I like the show man. I've just seen those justifications and can agree why someone would see it that way.

As for the depression stuff, i just find it thematically jarring, and i see it as a transparent attempt to graft some dramatic gravitas to a wacky space adventure for the added benefit of acting like there is a deeper meaning, it's like those clips Adam Sandler puts in front of his movies to make you think it's not just a comedy, this is exactly the same to me.

Again, still like the show, but i just don't like those bits. I'm sure you can like a show and still point out flaws though? That's a possibility right?

>>avclub.com/article/why-world-did-daria-have-thigh-gap-236630
ho shit I love their hate

>it's like those clips Adam Sandler puts in front of his movies to make you think it's not just a comedy, this is exactly the same to me.

This is not how I interpret the serious moments at all. They just come and go, no pretensions at all.

>Plus all the trite ass "THE WORLD IS MEANINGLESS LMAO LOOK HOW SMART WE ARE FOR ENJOYING A FICTIONAL UNIVERSE TO JUSTIFY OUR COLLECTIVE DEPRESSION!"

What's trite about this? I'd say it's handled pretty gracefully and hilariously.

not him but I disagree about the nihilist bent being tonally jarring, I feel it's woven into the framework of the show's humor pretty well, and only very rarely does it actually seem like it's pontificating about any grander scheme of the universe or whatever. Usually it's pretty incidental to the humor, at least in season 1. Season 2 has more hiccups and tonal inconsistencies, likely due to feedback from the first season as well as change in writing staff

agreed. daria was just a smug blatant marry sue for fat/ugly high school girls to go "see! i'm just like daria! i have no friends because im cynical and smarter than all the other sheep" when really they had no friends because they were ugly, boring and annoying

Different strokes i guess. I find them irritating. But they are few and far enough between for me to enjoy the show. They're not as egregious, but i think they both spring from the same general idea.

The fact that they 'come and go' is what i mean by thematically jarring, it goes from wacky space adventure to 'deep monologue about how fucked up our lives are' then right back. To me it just feels like a cheap way to pull on audiences heartstrings while not actually touching on other than 'depression is bad mkay.' Then get praised for that? It's stupid.

Like half a dozen shows over the last few years have explored this comedy/depression route and i find R&M's the one with the least substance.

Did you think those old segments in GI Joe where he stops, looks at the camera and tells you about some real world thing which is bad was graceful or hilarious? Because that's what those scenes in Rick and Morty feel like to me.

In S1 it was practically non-existent until that episode where they destroy the world and move into a similar parallel system. That episode was gold mind you, but that speech to summer about how no one really belongs anywhere is the first example of this stuff, and i just personally find it annoying. I still love the show, it's like 2% of the full show, but i just don't like it.

I just find that stuff irritating i guess, it's not going anywhere, but if we follow this back some dude just wanted to know why other people may not like the show.

dude this is an unprecedented level of angry projection

But that's not what happened. Quinn and Jane were just as smart and Jodie was smarter.

>The fact that they 'come and go' is what i mean by thematically jarring, it goes from wacky space adventure to 'deep monologue about how fucked up our lives are' then right back. To me it just feels like a cheap way to pull on audiences heartstrings while not actually touching on other than 'depression is bad mkay.' Then get praised for that? It's stupid.

But that just makes me think you haven't watched the show and care too much about what critics think. The moments of "deep monologue" primarily stem from Jerry and Beth's marriage. Even the one where Morty tells Summer we're all going to die was from their arguing. I thought it was a genuine moment. Every episode up to then was wacky shit which allowed Morty to build up the moral fiber to say what he said to Summer with absolute sincerity. It was such a great moment for the show and didn't feel forced at all.

>Did you think those old segments in GI Joe where he stops, looks at the camera and tells you about some real world thing which is bad was graceful or hilarious?

But that isn't the same thing. GI Joe characters don't feel like they've earned the right to say those things like it feels earned in Rick And Morty.

How did Ren & Stimpy age badly? It basically invented Spongebob

>putting greg hoek and mike judge into the same category to make rick and morty look worse in perspective.

In S1 it was practically non-existent until that episode where they destroy the world and move into a similar parallel system. That episode was gold mind you, but that speech to summer about how no one really belongs anywhere is the first example of this stuff, and i just personally find it annoying. I still love the show, it's like 2% of the full show, but i just don't like it.

I just find that stuff irritating i guess, it's not going anywhere, but if we follow this back some dude just wanted to know why other people may not like the show.

Um, what? The meaninglessness of human affairs is literally the entire basis for every joke in the show..

>The council of Rick's showing the true multiplicity of the same individual throughout different dimensions and contradicting our notion of special individuality
>The mr. meeseeks episode showing how finding meaning and absolution in the world is undermined by our petty obsession with banal little hobbies and other bullshit
>The love potion episode where Rick finds another dimension where he and Morty simply abandon the monsters they morphed everyone into and just replace the other Rick and Morty that blew themselves up, again addressing the contradiction of individuation and special identity

It's like you didn't even watch the show

first two paragraphs should be greentext quotes

all the preppy 90s girls are now middle aged moms with "I'd like to talk to the manager" haircuts

>Bojack Horseman
>classic
I've never met a single person who's ever been able to describe what they like about it or why.

I think you're misunderstanding the point of the show

You're not supposed to go, "I am just like Daria!". You're supposed to cringe because you once were as edgy, condescending and know it all as she is. You feel sorry for her because despite the fact that she thinks everyone around her is an idiot, she is actually the most narrow minded character. The chad football player, while dumb, is incredibly sweet and happy with his life. Jane is the voice of reason in most episodes.

>anti-humor

this is almost as bad as saying "tim and eric" style humor. fuck off idiot.

I guess we just disagree. I see nothing 'earned' about those bits, and at the end of the day given they're never actually explored in any depth, i find them cloying.

See, the difference is those examples draw on the comedy of the "meaninglessness of human affairs" premise. Though they are based on that kernal, they have set ups, punch lines, sight gags, repetitive jokes and jokes built from the situation and the world. They're generally well crafted.

The part i'm complaining about is the few and far between examples that draw on the depresison of "meaninglessness of human affairs" premise. And instead of doing anything interesting they just yell about how shitty their lives are and how they'll never be fixed for 30 seconds and FLUBA LUBBA DUB DUUUUUB! HAHA DEPRESSION LMAO!

I'm starting to go hyperbolic here, but i just don't find the depression parts of rick and morty satisfying on any level.

rick and morty and bojack horseman started off as unfunny heavily treaded garbage

>just hates it because it's popular
t. Mongoloid who can't refute criticisms so he has to pretend that other people are pretending to spite him

Daria has literally no interests and is a boring tool. Jane best girl

>I see nothing 'earned' about those bits

Rick And Morty spent prior episodes going through parallel universes, in fact they fucked up their original one beyond all hope and killed themselves in another universe so that they could take their place.

>"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?”

And you say Morty didn't earn the right to say the above? Are you daft? This isn't even about disagreeing anymore or the show being all that good, you're just wrong and I can't stand people who are wrong.

Rick and morty has more chance of becoming a classic, honestly.

Daria has aged well. I showed an episode to my cousin, and she liked it. But ultimately, I think the humor style of a show doesn't affect how it ages. It's about how much it relies on pop culture.

The creator of Ren and Stimpy is an animation elitist though, he takes that shit very seriously.

>Sup Forums

As someone born in 85, I never quite liked Daria. It was really watered down Gen X cynicism and not very clever, if you ask me. It would be less offensive if the 90s weren't already full of shows just like this one

ohhh ok, my bad I misunderstood what it was that you found annoying about the show. I'm still not sure I agree, but I see your point re. the on-the-nose didactic monologues about cynical depression

>tv shows are a product of their time

wow really makes you think

anyway modern hipster style Bojack Horseman "comedy" is far more nihilistic than any of the 90s grunge "edginess" or the emos in the 00s

Even back then in the 90s some people had a sense of morality and ethics at least partially. They realized society was corrupt, and were pissed and depressed there was nothing they could do about it.

That's opposed to the Baby Boomers who were drooling retards and legitimately thought they were "improving" the world.

but today, everyone realizes the world is shit, morality and ethics are all lies, life is just a self replicating chemical reaction that exists purely by chance, and all action is just twiddling our thumbs until we all stop existing so you might as well hedonisticially enjoy yourself and fulfill your own pleasure giving no fucks about anyone or anything.

so you couldn't have been more than 12-13 when you watched the show. I hardly think someone that age is qualified to judge the caliber of writing or satire in a show that is largely aimed at young adults

Firstly. We never disagreed about the show. I've always said it was good, just that this was one element i did not particularly enjoy.

Secondly. At the end of the day i don't think 'earning' it matters because it's just Dan Harmon writing it all, it's not like the fact morty went through hardship before producing middleschool monologues about existentialism changes my personal opinions on the shittyness of said monologues.

I just find them shallow and tonally inconsistent with a sci-fi comedy.

I'm not looking to convert people man. I think the shows great, but i just think it can get overhyped or have it's flaws brushed over, it's good to be critical sometimes.

you sound like a stupid child, quite honestly. Spend some time in the real world rather than Sup Forums and your vocabulary will expand dramatically outside of your self-contained Sup Forums terminology

Right but what drives people to be so anal about it? If they really didn't care they wouldn't spend the short amount of time they have here talking down to others on how life doesn't matter.

Stirner was doing this shit before anyone. Anyways what pisses me off is when fake rich liberals who make shows like Bojack Horseman imply morals are relative and life lacks an objective meaning (which is true) but then they go on and espouse stupid morals about how if you don't accept Islam you're a bigot

He's right though. I knew people who felt exactly like this towards the show.

>I'm not looking to convert people man. I think the shows great, but i just think it can get overhyped or have it's flaws brushed over, it's good to be critical sometimes.

Of course you are, that is the purpose of all argument. If you didn't care about persuading people, you wouldn't have said anything

t. guy that knows jackshit about the 90s

there were lots of nihilistic shows around, even more so in the early 00s

I'm here because asked why some people dislike the show and call it reddit and nothing more.

meant to

>At the end of the day i don't think 'earning' it matters because it's just Dan Harmon writing it all

This is dumb. So because Nic Pizzolato wrote Trudy Tective Rust didn't earn the ending he got? Because Mario Puzo wrote The Godfather, Fredo didn't reap what he sowed when Michael offs him? I guess we'll just agree to disagree because you view television in a completely different way, the wrong way in fact.

Daria was sooooo boring

He is not right. He (and apparently you) misunderstand the show's intention, which is to point out the inanity of reactionary cynicism that was so prevalent in 90's culture. Of course the preppy foil characters were blithering idiots, that is apparent to a child. But Daria and Jane's petty ironic commentary is often equally as narrow-minded and pigeon-holing, and they necessarily limit their own growth by shitting on people that are stupid but actually seem confident and happy. The show is a commentary on polarities, and how aligning yourself entirely within one group without comprehensively understanding what is worthwhile in both is a limiting mistake

and you stayed because you were met with disagreement and criticism. So you felt you had to justify yourself and bring people around to your frame of thought

>morty *burp* hey morty *burp* morty we've got to *farts loudly* we've got to stop drumpf getting the nuclear launch codes morty #ImWithHer morty I'm not a sexist racist bigot morty

>your vocabulary will expand dramatically

as if that matters

>If they really didn't care they wouldn't spend the short amount of time they have here talking down to others on how life doesn't matter

Because it's very bothersome.

I think it's clear that humans have "evolved" to need meaning and strong beliefs just as they have evolved to need meaningful social interaction. The idea that everything is meaningless leads to depression, commonly known as an existential crisis.

>then they go on and espouse stupid morals about how if you don't accept Islam you're a bigot

I assume it's cognitive dissonance. The left can't logically or reasonably defend "any" sort of belief in morality, but that's incredibly inconvenient from a political standpoint.

In fact you can't make any sort of defense of a moral position without making a baseless assertion that defies Hume's Is/Ought gap.