Is prog music for sophisticated minds?

Is prog music for sophisticated minds?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3vf2lyDUMrI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's sophisticated only in the minds of the fans, when in reality it's all just pretentious bullshit and wankery.

it doesn't have to be pretentious, when I first started listening to it, I didn't really know much about or think it was sophisticated. I just liked how it sounds

Perhaps
I have never met someone of a simple mind that listens to prog rock and its derivatives, though

Maybe youre the one causing the pretense, god forbid musicians feel creative and write about fantasy or dabble in weird time signatures or chord progressions. Its fucking art.

its largely for pseudo-intellectuals. there's some decent stuff that falls under the label but most of it is just sound and fury. lengthy and complex but semantically void.

It's upper middle class white people music
It's racist and classist
Also no women like it

Yes, it is

Complex music played by masters of their instruments. The peak of rock.

I'm dumb af and love prog

Maybe you're not as dumb as you think.

You've always been smart to me user :)

Prog is not a synonym for overly complex wankery.
Maybe the metal version of "prog" is.

Aww, thanks user.

Is there a genre that sounds better high than prog? I always feel like its taking me on an adventure

This is such a masterpiece

King Gizzard is experimenting with psych-prog. Crumbling Castle is imho the best prog single since the 70s. Give it a listen if you haven't.

unironically this

it's music for white college boys to pretend like they are into art

>fact

Also prog is very much a rockists baby steps to classical

it's also the only good album TMV has put out

I don't think it's necessarily for sophisticated minds. I'm sure there are people who just like how it sounds and don't pay attention to some of the oddities found in prog rock.
Complex or sophisticated music can be enjoyed by people who aren't sophisticated.

non-whites can literally not comprehend it

This album is a god damn masterpiece.

90% of prog fans I've met know how cheesy and pretentious prog is and constantly make fun of it, they're way less pretentious than fans of stuff like post-rock because they can actually acknowledge their music isn't for "higher minds". The only people I've seen do that with prog are Floyd fans and Floyd is very entry-level prog to begin with.

The 10% tend to be people who discovered prog less than a year ago. Afterwards, they acknowledge how noodly the music is, even if they still really enjoy it.

Eventually, they lie down and realise that this is a damn good album.

this
even the musicians make fun of it
>rick wakeman

Well it's no Foxtrot... but it's fine

>Enjoy ELP, Yes, Genesis, Rush and Camel
>Not into eclectic prog such as Gentle Giant or King Crimson, nor am I into Pink Floyd
Any anons care to recommend me some bands?

Wobbler, Anima Mundi

Same, man. It's a wonder I'm able to function in society sometimes.

Have you tried any Italian prog? Stuff like Premiata Forneria Marconi is top notch prog.

Rick Wakeman's solo albums like Henry VIII

Digging the acoustic guitars and keys so far in the Per Un Amico album

You should listen to Si on avait besoin d'une cinquième saison by Harmonium

That album is a god damn masterpiece.

I second PFM. ELP was actually interested in them and Greg Lake signed them to their Manticore label.

Do you at least like ITCOTCK or In the Wake of Poseidon?

I respect King Crimson highly (especially ITCOTCK), but they're a band I don't enjoy as much as I want to. Starless is a fantastic song though.

Vert is a great start so far.

Prog is really for people who prefer listening to instrumentals rather than the actual music

That might be the dumbest comment I've ever read.

>instrumentals
>not "the actual music"
this is the worst thing i've read all week

What about that one song they did with Jon Anderson?

youtube.com/watch?v=3vf2lyDUMrI

Keys/piano work is great, and Jon Anderson does a good job here. Some of the volume swells get a bit too loud at points, but a great song anyway.

t. Nu-male who listens to indie rock

Prog is the epitome of substance over style

Prog, especially the classic stuff, has a decent following in Latin America familia

That would be indie rock though or glam are substantially no different from pop music played in the radio.

Prog has plenty of style, especially since the substance of Prog doubles as its style.

I discovered prog a little over a year ago, and I've always recognized that sometimes the artists (especially Yes) go overboard and it just becomes nonsense.
That being said, I still love the genre for the technicality, skill, and the sounds that came out of it.
Invisible Touch only has title track, but I like Duke.

Duke is fantastic. It's THE prog pop album for me.

And that's what makes it so great. It makes sense that punks hated it, because punk rock is the epitome of style over substance.

Quite the opposite actually