/daily/ - Gameshow edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_upsetters/super_ape/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/fishmans/宇宙-日本-世田谷-uchu-nippon-setagaya/
youtube.com/watch?v=RGRKTw-DWfw
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/t__/wireless/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/horsepower_productions/in_fine_style/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/slugabed/time_team/
rareseeds.com/banana-melon/
youtube.com/watch?v=LQUXuQ6Zd9w
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/crescent/by_the_roads_and_the_fields/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/jeremiah_cymerman/fire_sign/
mega.nz/#F!hEYVRDZJ!2yFA5J82QqZdZYsyqKJepg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

we're back

FISH VS ERIC

>Fishmans - Orange album
>Neo-Psych Reggae
So bizarre to hear Fishmans for the FIRST TIME not doing something as dreamy as Long Season. And I can see why many people love this band as much as they do: the happiness is infectious just starting from the third track. Their dub influences seem to be quite strong here, like on the 6th and 8th track.

While this album doesn't have the strength of Fishmans, it has more individuality to make up for it, and bring it to a 7.

7/10

>Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans
>Symphonic Prog
Overwrought. The second track is a huge soft interlude, and it's mind-numbing. This has no reason to be double the length of CttE, repeating similar high notes and moogs that go to waste. My attention was grabbed once more on The Ancient, and there's a nice moment 4 minutes in Ritual, but the album quickly sinks back into the same sweet monotony built from the first tracks.

4+/10

======

Fish gets bonus points if he reccs something that isnt fishmans

I need the music from Borzoi and Breadhead's buddies + a couple more people to join

For the boys

>Mother I'd like to fish
>Azathoth
Excellent work

hey guy wheres my review guy
also heres my rec since i like, won
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_upsetters/super_ape/

whoops

STICK VS RODRIGUEZ

>Vladislav Delay - Kuopio
>Dub Techno
One thing I remember from hearing Vantaa, that while the album wasn't very stimulating, VD does a great job at spreading his sounds to become sprawling planes. The tempos take unpredictable gaits while sounds become pathfinders, orbiting around each other in subtle harmony or comfortable loops. The looseness of some beats lets them fluctuate between swinging or standard 4/4, revealing themselves more on repeat listens.

Now that I've gotten the predictable "it's so deep :O" rhetoric out of the way, I think the activity here in this album is what's missing from Prince of Denmark - 8. Sure, PoD can turn minutes into hours, but Vladislav makes use of his time more wisely, which I would determine is a better listenthrough overall.

8/10

>Eric La Casa - Les Pierres Du Seuil 4-7
>Field Recordings, Ambient
So while Vladislav Delay built worlds, this album activated my kidneys. I think you can hear a stomach growl, as well. It might imply that whoever is among the recording location of trees and water is suffering, as well as the spooky rising winds. Amazing for a field recording, just alright as an album.

6+/10

>activated my kidneys
as opposed to your almonds?

>Fish gets bonus points if he reccs something that isnt fishmans
BOY YOU THOUGHT!!!!!!!!
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/fishmans/宇宙-日本-世田谷-uchu-nippon-setagaya/

this is,,so good. j..jusso good. this is like your favorite chair

jk

if you don't want another fishmans rec then my rec is paranoid by black sabbath

love you

id actually rather listen to fishmans than black sabbath

k

who will win: the dub maestro himself or some chinese guys who appropriated a style from jamaica

I wouldn't even be mad if super ape won I have a giant poster of it in my room

>fishmans is racist
fader thinkpiece when

vladislav's p cool so i'm ok with this.

if you haven't heard that album yet do listen
i want a super ape poster more than anything right now

ty mate, teamwork makes the meme work

will do

Hey boys i'm about to change the world

youtube.com/watch?v=RGRKTw-DWfw

cow

I agree

great post

thank

we need more of this

U really changed the world with this post

cowposter ruining the lives of ACTUAL shitpost subsistors like myself

hey im new to daily and I heard trip up has impeccable taste, one that everyone should follow and worship.
Is this true? anyone have maybe a guide or flowchart to trip's music taste?

i'm gonna kill myself

you heard right

>video criticizing copyright and advocating for the freedom of art
>no replies

>cow
>/Daily/ Responds

Do NOT do this.

Just listen to Women - Public Strain at the debut Telstar Drugs EP and you will have all you need to listen to for a lifetime

what is actually happening

hmm

twas good vid but u should make sure to use the n word more so that alt right people will have to pretend to like you

Alright I'll keep this criticism in mind for my next video, thank you for the feedback

he's that basic? i thought he was some sort of music god here

np

the trve music gods are transgod and avantmathgod
that's why they have "god" in their names

He is literally indieheads v1.5 he just like indie rock and Woman

can someone rec me good dubstep

wtf i hate trip up now

im p sure this is yamir but either way is wrong i have really cool taste like Belong October Language look how cool and blurry that album cover is.

also accel yr a fuckin tryhard

Deadmaufive
Monstercat

>Belong October Language
it's so damn blurry I can't even make out what it's supposed to be! the myths were true trip is truly the god of /daily/!

there's no reason for ctte to be half the length of tkol

hehe fuck yeah...

please

rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/t__/wireless/

well i tried to listen to the king of limbs but actually fell asleep

>accel yr a fuckin tryhard
this is true

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/horsepower_productions/in_fine_style/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/slugabed/time_team/

bless

that slugabed cover is blowing my mind rn

Man, fruedian slip. Meant tfto. Ctte is condensed and has 0 focus or patience and tfto is better.

you just made me remember separator. what a tune

I thought Ctte managed to say everything a prog rock group would want to say in under 40 minutes, versus taking double that time lavishly dishing out very similar sounding uplifting passages under the guise of being virtuosic, all while hitting even more prog cliches than Ctte did

i planned this from my very first reply

>no way to make FISH mad
This is why you let pig advance goddammit.

Great to see stuff like this.

WHERE did you hear this

Gaah fuck off

defying all /daily/ norms me and karenin are bringing back charts in a **big** way, get fucking hyped for the freshest opinions on the siqqest records (top 10 are chosen by krnin and bottom 10 by me)
what;s good
what's bad

chart threads?

delet this

thinking face

that'd explain it

Plays Hery Purcell kinda underwhelmed me, but I'm interested to hear your thoughts on that Klein album considering how much I liked Only.

truss mi daddy

I can't read a damn thing!

why not
also trip up has bad taste
but we like him nonetheless

also, make a listening chart
join us
have fun
become a meme

my buddy's a dickhead who hates all music so count him out

k.

The Wrens - The Meadowlands (2003)
>indie rock

Definitely hits a lot of the sweet spots I like in indie rock. Has the twinkly wistfullness of midwest emo, the brash melodic nature of power pop, and the drifting soundscapey tendencies of bands like Built to Spill and early Modest Mouse. It's generally a winning combination. Nothing really here stands out over the aforementioned bands, making this a bit faceless in comparison, but it's got great energy and it perfectly captures that nostalgic, sepiatoned suburban feel. If you dig AF's The Suburbs, this is a lot like that, but better.

Tom T. Hall - In Search of a Song (1971)
>progressive country

Hall is probably the best story-teller in country music. His lyrics are detailed, beautifully written, and delivered perfectly, more like someone reading a poem than someone singing a song. I've never been so captured by the stories told in songs before this, every character in each song is treated perfectly, Hall peels back the layers to reveal the motivations in every characters minds, this is seriously one of the best lyrical albums I've heard in my life. Musically it's standard country, it's obvious to see what the true star of the show here is.

3.0+

Gram Parsons - Grievous Angel (1974)
>country rock, singer/songwriter

I wish I could see something more than this in Parsons' music. This is a definite step up from GP, but there's still a decent amount of stuff that isn't much more than wholly generic country music, especially when the tempo gets picked up. When it slows done though, oh boy. Parsons and Harris are the best singing duo in music history, bar none, even when the song around them might not be that interesting, the harmonies they create power through, their voices fit together like they were made for each other.

2.5+

hey i'm going to kinda drone you, made a chart of all your 3.5*s and above of this year, whaddaya think

WAND - Golem (2015)
>psychedelic rock

I've gotta be a real sucker for fuzzy psych rock, because even though this is easily one of the most derivative records I've ever heard, I'm still digging it! They try and do a balance between softer-edged, slower, poppier material, and face-melting material filled with pounding drums and guitar heroics, and this balance isn't really done very well. The former style is very obviously weaker than the latter style, falling into a lot of the same traps that bands like Tame Impala do. However, these tracks are markedly more unique than tracks in the latter style, which has the benefit of being some of the most bone-rattling, rocking stuff out-there, much more in the vein of artists like Thee Oh Sees and Slaughterhouse-era Ty Segall. Basic stuff, still a great time.

2.5+

Nine Inch Nails - Add Violence (2017)
>industrial rock, electro-industrial

It's fairly odd to see Reznor going back to his roots here. This is a very obvious return to the mechanical, somewhat synthpoppy sound of Pretty Hate Machine, and a pretty decent one at that. Reznor can do so much more, and it's a shame to see him do something so straightforward here, but it's almost refreshing in its rawness. That can't be mistaken for greatness, however. A lot of the tracks here are little more than vague sketches stretched out to lengths they don't deserve, especially regarding the final track. I'd love to see a more fleshed-out, ambitious LP in this style, because there's a lot that can be capitalized upon here.

2.0+

v v nice! i think you'll like a lot of them.

also have i really only given 14 albums a 3.5 or above this year jesus

Good night /daily/
Here's my 'new computer' 5x5 slowly being constructed, don't post yours just look at mine.
Also post nice things about pigs for me to read tomorrow morning.

>Cilio rating was last August
Holy christ I could've sworn that was 6 months ago or so, where does the time go.

My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves (2003)
>indie rock

Southern rock has a much larger influence over this than I would've expected. It blends the stylings of old-school bands like Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Allman Brothers Band with the neo-psychedelia of The Flaming Lips and Spiritualized to mostly solid results. It's far too long, with a heavy tendency to meander, but there are some great songs here.

2.5+

John Cale - Paris 1919 (1973)
>baroque pop

So earwormy and hooky, it's incredible. Cale moves more towards twee territory here, especially in comparison to his work with the Velvet Underground and the odd Vintage Violence. The childlike nature of this is a bit too overbearing and cutesy for my taste, but it's hard to deny the sheer pop brilliance of a lot of this. The opener and the title track are both revelations.

3.0+

>Cilio rating was last August
HOLY FUCK WHAT

don't listen to the Eels album, it's bad
you should just give it a 0.5 rn to be frank

sankyu sankyu 4 ma lyfE
rareseeds.com/banana-melon/

no there were 3 more i think but i heard them

saw ii > saw 85-92 this will always be true

so fruit time~~~

they were
basic channel, alice coltrane, coltrane live at birdland and eternal rhythm, so 18 3.5* in total :)

also only 1 was above 3.5, which was babylon
also by browsing through all your ratings from this year you seem p unbiased except for traditional stuff, guess you should listen to more of that

we'll see

okay that's what i thought

yeah trad definitely seems to be an easy 3.5 or above for me

guess i'm a poseur

hey i'm drunk rn buut if you dont' like black sabbath fuck you

i'm p drunk too and have never heard black sabbath, what should i listen to right now

paranoid!!

on it :)

youtube.com/watch?v=LQUXuQ6Zd9w

don't watch vidoe it's so fuckign reddit just listen

also come plug

i'm gonna pass out in like soon but yeah okay

did you pass out

this is actually growing on me wtf

>Esther Venrooy - The Spiral Staircase
>Electroacoustic, Dark Ambient
The tensest and most dread-filled album on this chart yet. Give this a go if you want spooks.

>Francisco Meirino - A While and Awhile
>Noise
Purposefully takes advantage of a mouth-like chewing for most of its duration, before letting tangible crackles and noise take the user's attention. A cheap and irritating way to obtain a reaction, but the electronics themselves are decent.

>Joe Bastardo & Howard Stelzer - At Ease
>Drone, Musique Concrete
Too aimless for me in the A-Side, but Bastardo's synths work much better on the B-side. Dark and light accordingly.

>Sewer Election - Vitta Sonder
>Noise, Musique concrete

The tape play on the latter part of Att Falla screams of Aaron Dilloway. Nothing crazy with the build of whatever cacophany is happening in Bilder av dig, but still a pleasant side attraction.

>ry-om - III
>EAI
Goddamn am I glad to have finally tracked down a copy of this. 3.1 is very rhythmic for EAI, and sounds like a jungle scrapped down to its bare minimum and covered with snow. 3.2 is much more ambient, and utilizes more familiar acoustic squeals and fluttering to give itself weight. I'll leave the rest to anyone else willing to listen.

8+

>Theodore Lotis - Epoque de l'eau
>Electroacoustic
Some sounds much like Tort's album that I still feel bad for giving a 5/10, aka lots of smooth and eerie buzzes. It gets much closer to portraying some bizarre parallel world, as well.

>Various Artists - CATASTORPHE
can't find it online. I might just buy it for $7 from the obscure russian label.

>L.R. Padgett - Chambers
can't find it either

>Ischio Romantico - From The Hip
where tf is it

round 1 matchup 5!
lamb vs. darklands
Jack O' The Clock - All My Friends vs. Main Source - Breaking Atoms

Jack O' The Clock - All My Friends
this thing is a weird one. incredibly varied. it started by probably giving me nightmares with that very unsettling intro, but proceeded to play with so many different sounds and instruments that i was consistently amazed at what it was doing. and it pulled everything off very well. won't be surprised if this grows on me further.
7/10 or i like this +
favorite tracks: A Lot of People Are Dead Wrong Most of the Time, Saturday Afternoon On the Median, Old Friend in a Hole

Main Source - Breaking Atoms
the production here is definitely the main draw. the rapping is fairly basic, though charismatic enough (that's to be expected from the era, though). solid boom bap.
6/10 or i like this -
favorite tracks: Snake Eyes, Looking at the Front Door, Vamos a Rapiar

lamb moves on! send me your next rec soon, please! thanks to darklands for participating!

also still waiting on a rec from jimmy jazz.

holy shit i need to do 50 song memoir next wish me luck

moo :8

My friend Orchid recs
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/crescent/by_the_roads_and_the_fields/

paging @ rodriguez

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/jeremiah_cymerman/fire_sign/

get on this NOW

it's so fucking good i'm posting the review now because it needs to be heard

============

>Jeremiah Cymerman - Fire Sign
>Experimental Dark Chamber Improv Jazz Glitch Noise
The mixture of glitchy edits and guitar-like distortion on the two horn instruments is heart-stopping, stepping out of the hesitant opener onto Collapsed Eustachian. They're further abused to construct all kinds of bizarre sounds, before once again returning to the grimey production that you'd expect from the labels like Tri Angle. Out of context, it's doubly powerful.

And to top it all off, the trumpets in Collapsed Eustachian are of two separate improv performances. Cymerman edited them to sound like they were trading off, while clearly leaving his own imprint.

Cellos come into play on the second half, and work equally as well in reaching the cataclysmic climaxes the trumpets did in the second track. Touched With Fire involves a drum set, and opens with a chopped up, breakneck collage of both alien acoustic cries and fiery noise. The actual cello passages that appear in this track are anguished, and serve well as a start to grounding the listener before the end.

The final track, a dedication to Cymerman's late step-father, is as beautiful as it gets, and much more traditional. A single theme is repeated, falling into a drone.

I never expected an album on this chart to be even more impactful than the Element Choir, but Cymerman did it. It's truly as pure as it gets when it comes to mixing all dark sides of electronic production and acoustic performance.

9+/10

Download here:
mega.nz/#F!hEYVRDZJ!2yFA5J82QqZdZYsyqKJepg

dubs