Emerging market catch-up set back ‘decades’

>Over the past three years, as major emerging economies such as Brazil, Russia and South Africa have slowed or fallen into recession, the slower average growth means the number of years it would take to catch up with the US has grown to at least 70 years.

¿Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.es/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/5d253a2c-2c99-11e6-bf8d-26294ad519fc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

google.es/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/5d253a2c-2c99-11e6-bf8d-26294ad519fc

This is what happened starting in 2014

Crazy how that was three years ago

For frontier markets, those more fragile economies further down the development scale, such as Nigeria, the catch-up period more than doubled from 43.1 years to 109.7 years.

I am not OP, Post source desu

I did

Brazilian economy is fucked up beyond repair.

Why is Russia such a shithole? Why can't they just for once, try to do better?

depressing. there is no hope, only suffering

Most of the growth engine developing economies ten years ago are now in shit condition and with investors pulling out due to current political uncertainty in many of these shitholes. For example, Egypt suffered a massive foreign investment loss in the past few years and if it weren't for gulfies bankrolling them their economy would've tanked which is already showing signs of being fucked as their currency is in the gutter. Attention is now being refocused on former stable grounds that existed in developed countries as a safe bet, and even with less attractive position investors still prefer them due to outlook stability. With that being said, SEA is still a favorite and while countries like Malaysia suffered from setbacks, the region as a whole remains a growth engine with relatively safe investing environment.

These developing countries that are in shit condition should offer great opportunity for those with high risk appetite and with extra money.

I follow lots of economic news, pls kill me

Climate Change will be a wonderful gift to Russia and a curse to everyone else below including the US. It's not even that far away.

Russians

At least you aren't Brazilian

They literally lost all economic gains per capita since 2009. Russia is just Russia

There's no certain economic outlook on how climate change might affect with certainty due to the unexpected nature of it. However, common wisdom suggests that Russia is still fucked due to its heavy reliance on natural resources i.e oil industry since the world is already making the switch towards alternative sources of energy.

Infrastucture challenges, limited ocean-going access, strong need for a huge army.

ASEAN is doing great despite how retarded their governments are, mostly because of East Asia.

East Asia is having a "who can invest more in our Mexico" battle.

Keep reading 215cm user

We did in the late XIXth century but some guy had a brilliant idea to go at war at the peak of the economical boom.

China will fix that. China sold over 40 gigawatts of solar generators last year

Russia will become a gas station with few customers in 2050.

If you apply European/American tech, and Chinese efficiency, you can solve any problem.

Russia will benefit from agriculture, artic trade, and ice-free ports. Agriculture is important because it will become impossible in many areas of the planet. This is closer than you think, a decade or two at most.

Germans deserved it desu

Thank you russia/soviets

By 2050 it is too late. Think more of 2035.

Actually, I am cautiously optimistic that Russia (Russians) will succeed in the coming years. I think they finally achieved economic stability after 40 years of failures

They didn't have a depression when commodities collapsed in 2015. That's impressive for Russian standards

China will have a civil war between the interior and the coast long before that.

>it will become impossible in many areas of the planet
That's debatable since Saudi already has large fields in the desert and not any desert, one of the hottest in the world. Agriculture is progressing technically and with GMOs it is even becoming easier to grow in unfavorable conditions.

Also these ports and stuff like that requires infrastructure which requires money, money that Russia won't have by that time.

I meant WWI, not WWII. We were hell in 40s, many people wanted to side with Hitler at first but then they saw that Germans want to kill, not to liberate as they were saying.

Haha okay

Sure they'll have a civil war when their people are 5 times richer every decade.

He has a point
You also do as well

I believe it'll be 50/50

I know. I meant both times

Germans are a plague to this continent. Russians put them in their place.

Only the coast is richer. The interior is dirt-poor.

Hmmmm

If it works in deserts why not permafrost, too? Either way, Russia becomes the biggest food-producer on the planet.

Will it now? Russians still has to build railroads to their ports, and expand their ports. So far, Russia's problem is that they partially don't. And on the top of that: There is little to no effort in advancing the economy from a mining economy in a refining economy, meaning Russia remains a shithole who only sells stuff.

There exists no such thing as "infrastructure challenges", unless its a matter of not wanting to.
I.E The entire of Norway's infrastructure.

>There exists no such thing as "infrastructure challenges".

Then, you know nothing. Have you ever looked at a map?

Have you looked at maps past 1900? Biggest obstacle is that you want to do something fancy with currently developing technology(floating tunnels, etc).
Or there is a huge obstacle(shit mountains), except the Nazies solved most of the issues when they invaded, so there is even blueprints for that, if somebody bothered.