ITT: Albums that you didn't like till they "clicked"

Honestly, I thought this album was just Britpop trash, but when I actually listened closer to the lyrics, The Great Escape is fantastic. I'd say this is just as bleak as Joy Division or The Smith's did, except it looks at isolation and misery on a societal level instead of a personal one.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xU2wLvzXLbk
youtube.com/watch?v=tqDFGpd845Y
youtube.com/watch?v=l7LNLDanYbE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Indeed.

Yuko and Hiro is a really well made song you know? Like it just has that feeling around it.

Definitely underrated in their catalog even if it has some of their worst songs (looking at you Mr. Robinson).

It's definitely my favorite of theirs concept-wise, it takes a lot of the suburban discomfort from Parklife and makes a whole album about it that speaks to me a lot more than MLIR or Parklife do.

Plus Stereotypes, Country House, Best Days, Charmless Man, The Universal, He Thought of Cars, Globe Alone, Entertain Me, and Yuko & Hiro are some of my favorite Blur tunes.

the great escape is almost too bleak for me these days. there's a certain ugliness that just pervades the entire album, and the characters in the songs (and sometimes the listeners themselves) are paraded around this grotesque and cruel world, all bright and brassy. i'm glad albarn got this mean streak out of his system eventually (he might even have overcorrected himself on that one)

there's video footage of blur performing on a uk variety show called the white room in '96 or something that encapsulates the great escape perfectly: champagne-bloated alex with a cigarette dangling from his mouth, graham looking absolutely miserable and damon alternating between feigned indifference and flailing around like a maniac, his whole sad act culminating during the "oh, i'm a naughty boy" bit of mr. robinson's quango

fuck, i could talk about blur and this particular era all day. i'll just say that if this is a snapshot of '90s malaise i shudder at the thought of a modern counterpart

Totally agree with you.

>there's video footage of blur performing on a uk variety show called the white room in '96
This one you mean: youtube.com/watch?v=xU2wLvzXLbk

I didn't remember Damon being so... instable in this show.

for me they're the most underrated band on mu

Nope that's XTC, Sparks or Cardiacs

Blur are still pretty big all things considering.

I get what he means though, they’re big in terms of being known but from what I’ve seen Blur usually gets hate from Sup Forums or people saying Oasis is better

It’s weird because I’d like the arty side of Blur’s pop and their evolution would make them an easy Sup Forumscore band, but apparently not

Tbh I always thought their arty side totally paled in comparison to Holy Bible era Manic Street Preachers and Cardiacs.

I mean honestly, Cardiacs and XTC had absolutely massive diversive careers and both drastically influenced Blur and both are spoken about less on here than Blur.

Here's XTC doing Blur's 'lad' swagger 15 years before them, featuring a riff that sounds surprisingly like Tracy Jacks
youtube.com/watch?v=tqDFGpd845Y

And here's Cardiacs doing almost exactly what Blur was doing in 1995, only Sing To God isn't considered anywhere near as popular as any Blur album.
youtube.com/watch?v=l7LNLDanYbE

Don't bully meeeeeee

Always thought this album was for teen edgelords, first time I listened to it I gave up on the 3rd track Heresy. Years later after giving it another try with an open mind it's become one of my favorite albums, fantastic production and a great atmosphere of rage, alienation, and self hatred.

>no seriously what the fuck is this trash? disorder is alright but the mixing is absolutely horrible and sounds like something a local indie band could make
>I mean shadowplay is kinda alright too
>and She's Lost Control
>oh fuck I kinda like all of them
>man I even like how his voice sounds too
>I GOT THE SPIRITTTTTTTTT

I listened to it once, thought it was absolutely fucking dogshit and then found myself humming along to Lion in a Coma in the shower.

Then I got absolutely baked and listened to it falling asleep and everything felt warm and fuzzy.

>2014
>suffering from a terrible fever for a week while bedridden
>listen to day of the lord on repeat whilst baneposting for a week straight

Where will it end? Where will it end?

honestly a great album

The song that rips off Vapour Trail by Ride honestly makes me hate the entire album

>Crotch moistening

I still haven't found a better album to listen to while stoned. I mean It's absolutely perfect for it. Right from the opening of In The Flowers it takes you to another place

Well, was he wrong?

Probably not.