/dg/ - Drum General

>What kind of gear do you have?

>What are you working on?

>Who are you listening to?

>General advice on practice, gigs, and drums.

Other urls found in this thread:

menet.umn.edu/~kgeisler/Tuning.pdf
thenewdrummer.com/resonant-head-explained/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>>What kind of gear do you have?
A Ludwig kit from the 80s that's been on the Jimmy Carson Show apparently. Most cymbals are also old Zildjians and Sabians used primarily for jazz and funk even though I play Dream pop.
>>What are you working on?
Nothing right now, just produced an EP with a band I drum in. Have a show coming up before Christmas.
>>Who are you listening to?
Ariel Pink, Alvaays, John Coltrane, Mac DeMarco, Primus lately
>>General advice on practice, gigs, and drums.
Practice at least an hour a day of straight drumming, stamina and arm durability is a big thing to have as a drummer. I go to open jams a lot in order to be able to play for longer periods of time. For gigs it's the same shit but longer but at least you can time shit to give your guys a tiny break.

none

Nothing

Rap

None, I don’t play an instrument

im laffin
>gear
Gretsch 6 piece kit I bought new a few years ago, zildjian k dark/session cymbals, dw 5000 double kick pedal
>working on
Jazz technique mostly, working on a cover of schism by tool, writing songs with the band I'm in
>listening to
bones, LCD Soundsystem (saw them live recently, best show I've been to easily), tricot, kinoko teikoku

Pic related
20" Meinl HH Byzance crash
22" Murat Diril Renaissance Ride
16" Stack: Zildjian A custom crash on a Zildjian S trash crash w/ keplinger ching ring
20" Murat Diril Superior Velvet Ride
15" Zildjian New Beats
Drums:
5x14 Ludwig Supraphonic
20x14 1965 Ludwig club date
14x14 & 12x8 Gretsch Catalina Club floor/rack tom respectively

Working on getting fuller sounds on beats, fluidity and flow during stream of consciousness, and swinging hard like blakey.

Mike Mitchell, Art Blakey, Billy HIggins, Tony Williams, Idris Muhammad, Marcus Gilmore/Roy Haynes, just checking out great drummers and the albums/videos they're on and listening. Also I play along to old Michael Jackson tunes and other old soul and funk albums from the 70s.

I will answer any questions for noobs. I gig 5 - 9 times a week every week. get at me

>gear
Alexis Forge electronic kit. Wasn't gonna spend more than €550 on my first kit and it had to be electronic. It's not bad
>working on
Getting good, learning songs to play with me m8s
>listening
Lots of Arctic Monkeys as I'm trying to learn some of their sons, New Order, The Beach Boys, King Krule, Bauhaus
>general advice
I'm a newbie so I don't really have much sage advice. Just practice rudiments regularly I guess

>Gear
Shitty old Yamaha YD series I got second hand about 6 years ago. Skins are fucked and need replacing but still works alright. Double bass pedal also broke a month or so ago which I also need to replace. Cymbals sound like shit.
>working on
mate of mine is making a little album which I drum on and play bass in a few tracks.
>listening
Radiohead, Talking Heads

>gear
Modified no name set, 20 inch rodgers floor tom, some instabul, some paiste.
>working on
getting some songs done before the next gig
>listening to
today, vulfpeck
>advice
practice

Rydeen Yamaha kit with Paiste alpha's

I'm not a drummer, guitarist/pianist slowly bulding up my home studio. Not much on the drum theses days, simply focusing on hitting the snare on every 16th of a 4/4beat and staying on the pulse.

Theses days,Wes Montgommery,Haydn and the new shpongle album

I'm asking advice instead, my kit's pretty cheap but i know you can tweak any kit to sound acceptable, any tips for doing so ?

>gear
realfeel, Offworld Outlander, Sabian Quiet Tone mesh
>work
matched and traditional grip
>listening
Sega Rally Championship New Century Arrange Album, Pixeljunk Eden, Tetrisphere, Nights into dreams
>advice
masturbate frequently

Don't skimp on good heads, and learn to tune them.
Remo or Evans usually works for me.

get a tune bot

>>What kind of gear do you have?
been playing drums on rockband if that counts
>>What are you working on?
looking for a drumset to buy
>>Who are you listening to?
tom sawyer and other mainstream prog

getting good heads is a start. you can experiment with dampening with moongels, drum dots, or duct tape. it depends on what sound you're trying to get on the drums.
i believe the general convention is single ply heads for open tones, double for punch but i saw an article recently that countered that, so now I don't even know.
i've been using evans hydraulic heads for my toms for some punch, usually go with a remo ambassador for my snare, currently using a black dot though just to try it out, I dig it so far. just experiment with tensions and stuff. it's really not difficult but most people don't bother to put in more time than is minimally required

actually it's quite invovled: menet.umn.edu/~kgeisler/Tuning.pdf

especially if you don't seat your head correctly and permanently ruin it

Right, thanks a bunch. I already messed with the tuning a bit before but never too seriously i need to make time to look into it. Also working on my shit drumming which is 90% of the sound i guess.

mmm yes and no.
if you want know the nitty gritty behind tuning heads, then yes use the bible. but I know 12 year olds who know how to tune drums and sound killer and they've never read the bible and only go off of what they were taught in church. tuning drums is not difficult.

they've never read the bible but go to church?

shut up faggot
here's the article I was referring to.

thenewdrummer.com/resonant-head-explained/

I might've actually had a positive experience in church if drum tuning was on the agenda.

you probably went to some shitty white church

Who's currently making the most physically attractive cymbals on the market and why is it Meinl?

>gear
shitty zildjian hi-hat w/ 12” sabian crash and ride, Pdp bass drum kit w a snare that sounds like ass.
>what are you working on?
Hardcore punk stuff, jazz soloing and trying to get my swing up to speed. I can currently do 140 bpm
>what are you listening to?
ornette coleman, max roach, frank zappa, darkthrone, cursed, post-punk
>advice
best thing you can do for yourself is practicing stick control at gradually higher levels imho

The kit sounds attractive but the picture is godawful, am I looking at a lefty setup or am I just not discerning things well?

how come nobody makes any cymbals other than turkish and chinese?

Keropes and constantinoples look way better and sound way better

phone photo with those crazy lights, i just happen to take a picture of the set last night at my gig, it's the only picture i have of my set. i play lefty.

>i play lefty
yes, we noticed, it's in your picture.
what is it with lefty musicians and always mentioning it?
what are you, vegan?

why not play ambidextrous?

this is the question that was asked >am i looking at a lefty setup

I play lefty. that is why you are looking at a lefty set up. don't be retarded

I do, I play open handed on righty kits when I can't flip the set on a jam session. I grew up playing right hand lead for marching band and naturally feel good off the left so I can make it all work.

I'm not a drummer primarily but I got an electric set to scratch the itch when it occurs.
yamaha dtxtreme iis, I've added a second bass pad and pedal, as well as a 5th tom. its a huge set honestly ridiculous for my needs

I LOVE have a second bass pad and pedal though, since its an ekit I usually get creative and set the left bass pedal to something like cowbell or clave hit. I would totally get a pedal operated cowbell If I owned an acoustic set

I'm primarily a piano player
I might just get one anyways and stick it under my piano
they have tambourines and maracas too, clave would be sick

>jazz cymbals
hand-hammered? those sound divine. i dabbled in jazz while mostly playing post-rock/shoegaze, but the hand-hammered shits are just so different. I think it's how they lack consistency in tone to a miniscule degree, like how studio musicians often have that "human element" compared to programmed electronic instruments.

>cursed
My mayyn

>gear
80s Pearl Export, Istanbuhl mehmet 22" ride, 20" crash. 18" Dream Energy Crash (cheap but class!) World Max 14x7 walnut snare.
>what are you working on?
Just released an EP with my band, working on new material for a split maybe.
>what are you listening to?
City of Caterpillar (always), YYY's, The Misfits/AFI/SAMHAIN/Danzig (It's Halloween!!!!)
>advice
Don't get fat like me and not be able to play your bands older songs anymore!

>single ply vs double ply
the punch (aka attack) is determined by the resonance of the drum. How the top and bottom heads of the drum are tuned play a bigger role in determining that, because the air bounces back and forth between the two. If the bottom head is tighter than the top, then you get more attack. If the bottom head is looser, then you get less attack and more sustain.

if you have 2 ply, you have two heads glued up against each other and less likely to vibrate freely, giving it less resonance and more "punch"