Is the R.E.M. one-hit-wonder?

Is the R.E.M. one-hit-wonder?

They have a minimum of three hits, so no. Also wash your mouth.

as much as everyone would like to forget shiny happy people, no

>Also wash your mouth
Were you planning on sticking your tongue in there?

this

They were quite popular in the 90s. I would call it “U2 effect.”

Wh- What?! Don't speak ill of a great band!

Maybe, but their 80's run was so good that any shit they put out late career dont mean much

I don't say anything bad. I like their music so mush but everybody around know only "Losing My Religion"

>their 80's run was so good that--

This was the beginning of the end.

C'mon, how haven't they heard Everybody Hurts? Is The End Of the World As We Know It?

>This was the beginning of the end.

WTF does U2 have to do with REM don't ever compare them again

Not really, Green and Out of Time are both like half terrible.

What I meant is that AFTP saved R.E.M. from that downward spiral. And they saved themselves again with New Adventures in Hi-Fi.

Is the O.P. multiple-dude-humper?

List of Top 40 hits R.E.M. had
>Losing My Religion
>Stand
>Everybody Hurts
>The One I Love
>Shiny Happy People
>Bang and Blame
>What's The Frequency Kenneth
>Drive
>Man on the Moon

Additional songs that fell just outside the Hot 100 Top 40 but still got airplay on Top 40/Pop radio:
>Bittersweet Me
>Strange Currencies

Additional #1 singles on the Mainstream Rock chart
>Orange Crush

Also "It's the End of the World As We Know It" never charted extremely high, but is still a very well known song.

So, no...

Green is good, not their best but a solid album. I used to hate it back in the day but recently picked it up again and was surprised of how good it was.
Out of time is terrible and AFTP is wayy overrated, but at least has some redeeming tracks. After that they stuck with the formula of 1 good song per album, until they couldnt even do that anymore

>Out of time is terrible
No
>AFTP is wayy overrated
Hell no
>After that they stuck with the formula of 1 good song per album, until they couldnt even do that anymore
It's like you haven't actually listened to post-AFTP R.E.M.

Out of time has 3-4 good songs, AFTP is better but not the masterpiece averyone claims it is. And yes, I listened to all their albums and they got worse with each release, there not bad albums just bland and unmemorable with 1 or 2 tracks that stand out.

Both were from the first wave of alternative rock (the college rock scene) who made it big in the U2 making great music in the 80's and early 90's. Kinda like The Smiths for the US.

Monster is severely underrated IMO

The issue is that the production is pretty thin. The album doesn't come off as a Monster of an album like it should be.

I think the oposite, they wanted to go full alt-rock and it feels totally forced at times. It works for a couple of tracks but not a whole album
I think they realized this and balanced it better in New Adventures in HI-FI and thats the main reason its a better album overall