ITT: Writers Block

Any suggestions, in the last few months ivent been able to sit down and write.

I seem to benefit from someone rushing me, I usually pull stuff off in a week or less when under pressure, but even without that I still used to be able to write. but since June I havent been able to for whatever reason. Any suggestions to reignite the fire that's dwindelled for everything?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblique_Strategies
stoney.sb.org/eno/oblique.html
joeribollaerts.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/brianeno_obliquestrategies1.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

did you try drugs?

When I drink I can't focus

If a deadline's what drives you, make deadlines, even if you're not planning to share the music. You should also dedicate a certain amount of time to creating each day, no matter how forced it feels. Expect to throw away a lot of it. Think of it as

A specific goal like "write one poem/song/chord-progression a day" is feasible as long as you accept that you will create pure utter shit. Your goal is to produce so often that the diamonds will emerge from that massive pile of shit, and if digging it out is the only way, then by god, fucking do it. It's worked for me many times in the past, for several different mediums of art.

To add onto this, you'll build confidence by getting into the habit of creating on a daily basis. Even if it's just for a short or indefinite period of time, it still helps.

Have you tried using Oblique Strategies?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblique_Strategies
stoney.sb.org/eno/oblique.html
Sometimes letting things be taken out of your hands somewhat can open up new avenues that you otherwise wouldn't have taken

Read more poetry. Actually, just read more in general.

that's not the answer to his question

Anybody have any good places on the wide web where there's a lot of inspiration/get your inspiration from?

I started using this and it's been helping

I'm pretty sure that was the OP responding to the first reply. Are YOU drunk?

because i am

the first reply asked whether OP has tried drugs to overcome writer's block, not if he drinks. Don't give me that muh alcohol is a drug liberal bullshit. In everyday language drugs and alcohol are two distinct things, I have not yet heard a single person tell me that they're going to the pub to do drugs.

Because alcohol is so normalised in society. People can get addicted and ruin their lives with alcohol. Why is alcohol "not a drug"?

OP here, yeah I was responding.

I do know that yeah I get ideas and start but nothing much comes of them. Like I've been doing more Debussy-esque stuff but not knowing where to go with it in terms of consciousness. Like it's good until I start thinking. Not that he didn't think while he wrote, but I'm talking about the feeling goes away once I start becoming aware I like it.

I think what partially stopped me doing that though was I wanted to record an album, but then I started writing and it got way to complex/intricate/hard to play for me so I had to play instrument catch up to what I can write.

I used to do that so that's a good suggestion.:)

I'll definitely check this out, I know in the past I've used that cut up method and love hearing new techniques to incorporate to spice up writing.

I used to focus more on songs, but my lyrics have gotten where I want them to be for now. I think I need to work on lyrical melodies and not such emotional music. In class someone was able to tell the part of the composition when I wrote it and was pissed off.

Also I said don't use drugs, but when I can't have complete focus I can't write as well. Plus I've recorded myself drunk thinking I'm playing extremely well. Then play back is god awful. But I don't know how drugs would help more classical/jazz esque music.

Also I have no problem getting drunk, but yeah I tend to use it socially or to just not feel

>But I don't know how drugs would help more classical/jazz esque music.
Have you ever taken a consciousness altering substance that is not alcohol? Because from reading your posts it sounds like you haven't. Different drugs have very different effects. Some drugs enhance focus, others make it harder to focus. I agree that alcohol makes focusing more difficult.

I take ADD medicine, I don't know what it's called, and I used to take depression meds but I stopped taking them because once I stopped I started writing better and more emotionally.

Nothing else though

Sometimes new music or new ideas can do that. Like if you hear something new you like look into how they made the music

Maybe try weed once. It can work wonders if you don't abuse it like a retard and go full DUDE WEED. Being high helps my writer's block a lot, it's like it becomes a threedimensional object in my thoughts that I can simply bypass, the way I'd walk past an obstacle in the street. The problem with drugs is that if you do them irresponsibly you lose all sense of quality. The best way to use them is to get moderately high, pursue and write down all ideas that enter your head, then the next day when you're sober you can filter through them and see which ideas have the most potential.

Pot can be helpful

I do like smoking Cigars, how similar is it in terms to that. I don't really like Cigarettes that much, not worth the money IMO.

Effect wise? completely different. Cigarettes give you a little head rush, cigars are afaik only smoked for the taste and not actually inhaled to the lungs. The problem with describing drugs is that it's really difficult if you have never done it before. It's like it makes you have more thoughts at once than you would normally have and at a much faster speed and also on a more abstract level. That's why people get anxious or paranoid, if you don't focus your thoughts on something, they will focus themselves on the wrong things. It also immerses you much more in whatever you're doing at the moment you're high. Even the most routine activities become an experience. There are many ways I could describe the effects, I come up with a different way almost every time I consume it, the best way to find out is to try it yourself really, especially since in the end how it affects you depends on yourself.

I mean if you inhale the cigar smoke you get a bigger head rush than a cigarette. I've done it before on accident and it was crazy the rush I got.

I'll have to give that a try also

Don't expect to get such a rush from pot, pot doesn't really give you a rush, it just changes the way you think for a couple hours. You really just have to see for yourself. It's odd to describe.

Get high nigga. (No, but really.)

Here is a PDF copy of Oblique Strategies if anyone's interested.
joeribollaerts.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/brianeno_obliquestrategies1.pdf

>Anybody have any good places on the wide web where there's a lot of inspiration/get your inspiration from?

Become patrician and get into genres you never used to listen to.

so I'm a patrician?

Thank you by the way, I think I'm gonna do this also :)

That's fair, like sex, it's hard to describe until you've done it. Then it makes complete sense once you've done it