What's Sup Forums opinion on Jacob Collier?

What's Sup Forums opinion on Jacob Collier?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtubecom/watch?v=DaNxq6Q4v1w
youtube.com/watch?v=y32ejtuxSjM
youtube.com/watch?v=uq7noaMwLfg
youtube.com/watch?v=zua831utwMM
youtube.com/watch?v=DaNxq6Q4v1w
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Hate his faggot ass

I went to school with so many people just like this. I grew up trying to find good reasons to hate these guys and never could. Still did anyway.

He's talented.

What can I say, he's really talented for his age, and his music is cool.

What makes me kinda mad is that I don't know any music theory, so I feel like I don't understand most of the stuff that's going on.

Who?

Very talented but tries to do too much in his compositions, and because he's playing everything, it sounds one dimensional.

Also I don't like his voice and despise vocal jazz.

is this Brandon Wardell's twink twin brother?

you know you're a bitch right?

Kind of like this, but overall I'd say I like it. His music seems kind of superficial... but fuck, if I grew up with a knack for theory and a room full of instruments and thus never felt an emotion in my life other than calmness or enthusiasm, I'd hope I'd be doing something half as interesting as what he does.

>you know you're a bitch right?
what

>t. doesn't understand subtlety

He's a very talented performer. along with what his problem is it's like he puts to much in the song it is overwhelming for your brain. It's like the kid who just learns what 12 tone is and only uses 12 tone instead of using it for a reason. His who super lyrdian thing sounds cool, but in practice how he's used it is essentially over producing a song. It takes a master to do more with less and to be able to balance subtlety with the overtness. My point is he's good, just because you can do something does that mean you should. It's like he misses the point of music, and when he talks he's a little prick.

Also all of his music has too much going on and feels very gimicky. I understand the value in reharmonizing a song, but if it hurts the song why? He does his music in a pop style but if anything is more trying to show off than really do anything effectively.

What do you honestly feel works better as a dance song?
youtubecom/watch?v=DaNxq6Q4v1w
youtube.com/watch?v=y32ejtuxSjM

what do you think works better as a memorable theme and is fun?
youtube.com/watch?v=uq7noaMwLfg
youtube.com/watch?v=zua831utwMM

sorry here's the first link
youtube.com/watch?v=DaNxq6Q4v1w

All style, no substance.
Just another rich kid with music toys.

what a weird coincidence, just listened to his debut album for the first time a few hours ago—not entirely sold on him yet, but he's interesting

>Trying to find good reasons
uhhh his music is terrible?
This is utter schlock, in the worst way. Music with no heart, emotion, or artistry. It's mathematical, and instead of using his extensive knowledge of music theory and inherent talent at both singing and playing instruments, he creates grey, unlistenable masturbatory sludge that only impresses theory nerds.

This. Maybe in 20 years he'll have matured enough to better use his gift.

I doubt it, have you heard him talk. He has an ego, and he got some award, he's gonna eventually be forgotten about sooner than later.

>Rich handsome kid who had his whole life handed to him on a silver platter has an ego
color me shocked

that's beside the point

what's the point? I wasn't being smarmy to you btw, just not surprised at all lol

completely true. ability is ultimately just a set of tools. sure, the dude has a bigger utility belt than most people could ever dream of, but that's not what it takes to make great/influential music. hell, the velvet underground changed music forever, and lou reed could barely sing.

ability means shit if you have no idea what to do with it. if he were crafting beach boys - esque melodies, or orchestrating beautiful scores, or something like that, i'd be more inclined to think he's good. as it stands, he's basically just good for overwrought reimaginings of popular songs/themes. he's a curiosity, but for now, not much more. It feels like he understands a lot about music, but doesn't GET it.

it's like someone with an incredible gift for visual art just making garish, hyperrealistic landscapes or something. idk.

it's all good I just thought you missed the point but it's I think you did. I'm not suprised either, but we have proof not just the fact this is his background you know.

Do you think he'll take the time to "get it". I know if I was him and had my ass eaten out by Quincey and Herbie I wouldn't because I'd figure why do I need to get better.

lmao definitely not. the amount of praise he's gotten for what amounts to potential i think will have - or, more than likely, has already had - a chilling effect on his development as an actual artist.

this is going to be a cunty and terrible analogy, but i used to be sort of in his position, albeit at 1/1000th of the scale. when you have a knack for theory or virtuosic talent, people just sort of praise you for having it regardless of how you actually use it. It's like having a great vocabulary; you'll skate through most institutions with super high grades without actually learning how to write since people just see developed syntax and ignore just about all else that should come with good writing.

Plus this dude's life has been easy af. he doesnt even seem to have any mental illnesses or anything. barring some kind of divine insight or instillation of some kind of creative empathy, i think we're gonna be listening to reharmonizations of Centerfold and the Doogie Howser theme for the next forty years

what kind of keyboard is the red one?

looks like a faggot that chokes on nigger dicks on a daily basis

jesus christ have this dude's hands always been so long and creepy

they look like they're primarily used to collect children's teeth

He has a lot of potential, he just needs to figure out how to use it.

go on

I get what your saying, and it definitely has an effect. Espically if those are the legends doing that.

From my experience, my teachers always patted me on the back for theory/composition chops. I was easily ahead of everyone in my class no doubt. but I still feel like I didn't learn enough to be able to be as good as I want to be. I can still write pretty well but even if I got to a Mozart level or writing I'd still strive to be better because I think you never can be good enough. Period, once you supposedly perfect something move on to make up for your weak spots or try something new. You can never stop learning.

Also we learned reharminizations in piano 2 XD. I knew then it was pointless to over do something for absolutely no reason. not only that he's probably going to suck at writing, like maybe arrangements he's got the talent for but I don't think he'd be able to put out an album of good music he wrote.

see

if you're talking the PYT vid it's some nord

nord 3? like the dude from fox capture plan
that shits like 3 grand damn it i hate being a broke ass bitch

I heard this guy died of AIDS

>His Dad's Gay?

yeah, he obviously has the skills to be a great session musician or arranger, most likely. but great music - at least, great "pop" music, which is the bubble he's operating within - should have great lyrics and compelling, beautiful melodies, or at least one or the other. He has shown zero ability to do that. none of his reimaginings of popular songs do anything new or beautiful with the melodies, and part of that is because he's actively obfuscating any potential clarity of melody or songwriting.

idk, i got to a certain point where i felt like adhering to theory was actually somewhat hamstringing my development as a musician. like i was listening to a lot of The Beatles, and they were able to come up with these unique melodic and chordal combinations because they did what felt/sounded right, not what superimposed a macro-mixolydian scale over a natural minor four chord progression or whatever.

obviously theory helps to decode and understand music, both others' and your own, but arriving at a IV chord and consulting theory knowledge to figure out how where to go and what melody to pair with it does not lend itself to moving songwriting, imo.

My friend who I recently lost to cancer really liked him. I have a soft spot for Flintstones and some other tracks on his album as a result. Definitely better in small doses though.

FACT

>I wish I was that talented
>half of the fun is looking at June Lee's extremely impressive transcription skills
>you can't just think "what is the thing that the listeners would LEAST expect" and proceed to do it 10000 times because that literally just makes the surprise factor a cliche
>if the surprise is boring then you have failed as a composer
>his musical ideas make good blueprints for other composers

his music causes cancer, PROOF!

If I write a song I only use borrowed chords or keep voice leading in mind for the melody.

If I'm composing then I think about the mode and how I can change to another mode or what chords I can use to add flavor to the melody after it's written.

But yeah if you just follow the blue print it does take away and prevents you from sounding unique or special. Or human