Pretense/Skill chart

Thoughts?

>source: trust me, I browse Sup Forums

>Van Halen

In sound - yes, but not in approach

Kek jazz not the most pretentious

jazz fans and musicians are usually chill af in my experience. had way more annoying experiences with classical and classic rock fans by far

Van Halen is very skilled musicians making very simple music.

Jazz musicians aren't pretentious, but the fans are.

>Folk isn't pretentious
You mean country?

what's pretentious about folk?

It can be too abstract and self righteous for my small brain. I wouldn't put it that low on the chart.

Bumping to encourage everyone to make their own too. Same axes but with bands instead of genres, or different axes, or whatever

>Funk
>Trained

Yeah id doesent take THAT much to play funk guitar.

Also, put garage rock straight into the middle of it.

Funk bass?
Funk drums?
horns? vocals? It's not just the guitar playing

I mean. I don't think putting it that close to jazz does jazz any justice considering most of the jazz standards are bigger ideas than just feeling out what chords sound good ya know. Funk has less thinking and more flow to it, and that serves to all instruments. I would say its more in the middle. Pretentiousness score is perfect though.

autechre

i would say most jazz requires more training than a lot of math rock. a lot of mathy stuff is technically complex but theoretically pretty basic.while rhythmically it does get pretty advanced the song writing can be pretty simple

I agree 100%. Math rock is somewhere just above funk, considering open tunings is now a thing.

Jazz fandom seems to have the biggest discrepancy between actual fans and posers. As per usual the posers are the ones you hear about, but the real fans hang out in jazz clubs or listen to vinyls at home while sipping bourbon and barely make a sound.

Television is more pretentious.

Sonic Youth are more trained than stoner rock and reggae. Wtf

this chart is in itself pretentious. why does it matter how skilled someone is or how pretentious they are if they're making good music?

are you guys retarded?

You don't even need comprehension of chord embellishment to play math rock guitar nowadays. Have you ever held a guitar? Okay, the drums are hard, but thats really it.

Looks like you missed classical, no problem, I added it for you