Why is Australia's contribution to film so pathetic...

Why is Australia's contribution to film so pathetic? Is it because their accents are retarded and we wouldn't be able to take them seriously?

Too busy shitposting m8.

No funding
/thread

This. As well as ruining Australia for ever with cuts to everything, the Howard Government tore the heart out of a blossoming film industry during their reign from 1995 to 2007. It hasn't recovered, since.

small population, no money

we do have successful indies every now and then

Because the Howard government gutted out film industry.
Up until then, in the days of Crocodile Dundee, investors could take tax cuts for investing into the Australian film industry. It had to have Australian actors and Australian production, and any profits made from their investment wouldn't be taxed at greater than 35%, regardless of how much they made (Our top tax bracket is 46% FYI).
This was a win-win. People could pay less tax, it created jobs, and it brought money into the country, and as a bonus, it cost the taxpayer NOTHING.

However, a bunch of whiny leftist cocksuckers didn't like rich people paying less tax. They pushed and pushed until eventually the government caved and got rid of the benefits for investment. Now the only films that get approved for federal funding are MUH ABOS MUH STOLEN GENERATOR horseshit and it's an enormous waste of taxpayer money.

In short because people who hate rich people were fucking stupid and ruined our film industry.

Australia is pretty great though.

Do aussies really hate that film?

>he hasnt watched the Emu Man

>it's an enormous waste of taxpayer money

It's a slight one. Those "wronged abo" movies cost fuck-all to make even by local standards.

You're forgetting all the THOUSANDS of public servants employed to oversee all this shit, the bureaucratic shit. We've gone from something that brought money in to the system at zero cost the Australian people to something that pisses away millions on the regular producing a bunch of marxist propaganda that nobody cares about.

What's "Marxist" about it?

I haven't killed any abos, today.

Have you?

Have you SEEN the shit that comes out of our approximation of a film industry? Class Struggle is basically an accidental meme these days.

australia's contribution to everything is pathetic

t. australian

I prefer To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar desu.

Personally I'm amazed to hear any of it described as "Marxist" in comparison with something like "Backroads" (1977), which actually *has* Marxism. And angry abos.

small percentage of population compared to US

we hate jews

mel gibson

need i say more

honorable mentions

nicole kidman with kubrick

naomi watts with lynch

I genuinely have to turn off my computer if I ever accidentally open a video where an Australian dialect is present.

This any good?

Why isn't there a show about convicts? Dat shit would make bank

>watch Banished because a show about the first convicts in Australia sounds neat
>it's just one big drawn-out "will they or won't they hang"

Yeah right. I'm talking Game of Thrones scale sophisticated zeitgeist water cooler drama tho

>Game of Thrones scale sophisticated

Just generalising. Not basic CSI/Big Bang Theory-calibre network TV I mean. Gotta love how this place nitpicks your every word and throws it back at you I green text begging for an extra post to elaborate in extreme specifics.

They contributed a huge amount to exploitation films/genre films.

Lots of good shit from the late 60-80s

That was FORTY years ago

still a contribution to film you sperg

SQUASH all AusWORMS

Isn't The Rover supposed to be good? Never seen it but heard good things

This. Screen Australia is an absolute joke too.

THE GREAT EMU WAR

The Proposition and Animal Kingdom are great movies.

Pretty good. Felt like a much more serious, realistic version of the original Mad Max. There's even a shot where a guy stands next to a car with a sawed off shotgun and a leg brace.

it's the best film you'll never want to see again

Yeah that shit is sick.

Like it's sick and fucked up, and he fucks his mum and shit, but it's also really touching and light hearted and funny.

Is there a movie about Aussies being drunken Fosters-drinking shitposters hopping around in kangaroo pouches? because Id watch that.

You should check out Snowtown if you haven't seen it.

Van Diemen's Land

Best Australian film. Tim Roth vs. a crazy born-again Christian in the Outback