/prod/

I know /prod/ is dead but I don't have any friends who make music and I need help.

I've been working on this track for the last little bit and I loved it up until last night I got stoned and my perspective changed. Did I over do it with the vocal chops? I used to love them dancing around the whole track but now I'm worried it's too much.

If any of you could listen to my track start to finish and let me know that would be much appreciated.

clyp.it/da4kjna0

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/da4kjna0
freesound.org/s/75898892/
freesound.org/s/5898892/
freesound.org/s/898892/
freesound.org/s/98892/
freesound.org/s/8892/
freesound.org/s/892/
freesound.org/s/92/
freesound.org/s/2/
rbt.asia/mu/thread/75898892/
rbt.asia/mu/thread/75902513/
clyp.it/1wmybojm
freesound.org/s/
freesound.org/s/75898892
freesound.org/s/5898892
freesound.org/s/898892
freesound.org/s/98892
freesound.org/s/8892
freesound.org/s/892
freesound.org/s/92
freesound.org/s/2
audioz.download/software/win/135048-download_image-line-fl-studio-producer-edition-v12515.html
audioz.download/software/win/rss.xml]
ifttt.com/feed
mega.nz/#!t15n2B7T!5ItaApAd6Q16mVL3qgi9tsbSvVqMtQypYRz52IVugsE
clyp.it/5r4xhg4v
freesound.org/people/reaktorplayer/sounds/98892/
freesound.org/people/patchen/sounds/8892/
freesound.org/people/plagasul/sounds/92/
soundcloud.com/samiser/tuesday
clyp.it/pkugqwpk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>hate composing
>love sound design
>stuffing hard drive full of clips no one's ever going to hear because who the fuck wants to listen to 10 seconds of bleeps and weird fart noises
>/prod/ is dead

But OP, I'm pretty okay with the track you posted. If there's any nitpick I would have, it's to let the bit around 1:35 sink in more before you go back to chopping again.

These threads die quickly every time, but those with a specific producion related theme (like the DAW one that died some hours ago and the sound design from a few days earlier) stay up nearly to the bump limit.

I suspect there are lots of people interested in discussing music production but don't bother coming here for one reason or another.

We have to do something o make the disussions interesting, so the threads aren't just feedback and simple questions answerable with Google.

Any ideas?

I dunno actually. Personally I never came for techniques or sound design questions from Sup Forums because I never found much of their advice useful, or it was stuff I already knew. I would only ever come for human feedback/opinions because I have no friends who make music and I'm the only person who listens to my tracks up until release. So like this thread I made now, I just want another set of ears so I know if I'm going in the right direction with my music or not.

Exactly.
That's what everyone thinks.
But what if ot had interesting discussions about non-basic things?
You'd have more incentive to come here, no?

well yeah, but we can't change the community as a whole that easily. Most of the time it's just user's talking shit and hating. I'm gonna say that 90% (if not higher) of the Sup Forums population is a total beginner, with very basic composition and design abilities - yet talk a huge game and shit talk other people who actually have full, more detailed sounding tracks. That's why I dipped away from /prod/. Couldn't handle some guy talking down to my tracks and then posting an autism mess of car alarm sounds.

>muh modular experimental ambient drones

thats a really cozy looking room user

Those threads are dying because most of the time you just post electro/soundcloudwave clyps.

There isn't much technique/advice for electro, because that genre heavly relies on personal taste.

rename it to /electro prod/ or something

/comp/ was pretty insightful sometimes, good advice because the genre it involved was actually a genre you could critique well

Are there any programs that do negative convolution? Like accentuating the dissimilarities between the two signals.

Or, make /prod/ more about specific soft/hardware rather than "rate my shitty clyp".

>What plugins are you using/useful
>What sample libraries are good/torrents
>Should I mix with midi/audio mixing
>What DAW does what well/sucks

Be more specific about the actual PRODUCING process and write it in the fucking OP.

is it worth learning pro tools? Its gotta be the least user friendly DAW I've used

i listened to your track all the way through
i like the vocal chops. i think you could make the track more concise and it might make you happier with it. parts that come in at :40 and at 2:00 could be cut (hopefully you know which parts i mean). get to your destination faster, those are the parts where your mind might wander and find elements stale imo.
dope track though!

There's a lot of deficiencies in people's abilites, unfortunately the guys who spend half an hour on a daw they just got then post, its a fucking waste of time, of course its going to be terrible if you don't learn anything beforehand.

Tone is important, Equing, compression, all these I feel most prod people don't know shit about

If you want to work in a studio in the future, yes.
Otherwise, no. No need for it.

its ironic that every /prod/ thread began with all those invaluable resources that no one seemed to bother with

Not sure if it would work or not, but mayne you can try usIng convolution, then apply phase inversion one way or another.
If there's a way without a specific program that does it, then this is it.
There probably isn't though.

>But what if ot had interesting discussions about non-basic things?
You'd have more incentive to come here, no?

I would for sure.

>tfw learning how to use FL Studio
>make a simple loop that you really like
>realize it's probably trash

How do I get over this feeling?

Well yeah, the few times I've seen someone go in depth they were lauhed at and told that it's pointless to care about those things, which is completely the opposite of amentality that promotes improvement.

ive been doing this for a few years and still feel this way

the vocal chops are fine, the track would be a bit plain without them, also 1:38 is really well done, good job user

>clyp.it/da4kjna0
the chops are nice, this is a pretty good track, 1:38 is a pretty nice moment too

you don't. the trick is to try and make 100 loops and maybe #34, #65, and #97 are the only ones that end up being real fully produced tracks. Just gotta keep wading through all the shit you make.

whats the beat laptop for production

Is that your room?

For me I have a MacBook Pro, I think it mattered in the earlier days when DAWS were first being created because a lot were specific to certain drivers. Today both PC's and MACs are identical in what they can do and how they perform. It's user preference. I have a MacBook, because when I went to audio school you had to have one. They wanted everyone to be on the same platform so we could all share projects and files easily.

No, just one from a battlestation thread. My room is a lot less appealing than that.

Pic related.

Are those Akai interfaces any good? Always thought they looked cool but heard there were latency issues

How's the weather in Australia?

Do you guys know any decent ways to make drums? If there's something free and decent I could use as a drum machine, I'd love to know.

the mods shut them down way too fast

I think the beat that starts around a:04 should be more of a halftime feel than this intrusive four to the floor thing. The synthies afterwards sound like cheap keyboard presets. Other than that I like your talent, keep it going

program them with any DAW. There's no trick to it, it just takes time to make a good drum track

I find them great. It was my girlfriends and I never had one so when we moved in together I just used it, seems fine to me and saved me from spending a couple hundred dollars.

Lol I'm not sure why it uploaded upside down

>the few times I've seen someone go in depth they were lauhed at and told that it's pointless to care about those things, which is completely the opposite of amentality that promotes improvement.
Precisely this.

Also this.

We should make some themes to the threads or start actual activities to get producers involved.

I've been thinking about something the past months...
What if we made threads where the OP's digits were used to open the corresponding pages on freesound.org, and used the samples to make some music?
For example, this thread's 75898892 would give us:
freesound.org/s/75898892/
freesound.org/s/5898892/
freesound.org/s/898892/
freesound.org/s/98892/
freesound.org/s/8892/
freesound.org/s/892/
freesound.org/s/92/
freesound.org/s/2/
We could use them to make loops, samples, songs, etc, then compare and discuss the techniques, while starting from the same common point.
I think it's interesting enough to try, but I'm afraid that nobody would participate.

What do you think?
Would you be interested in something like this?

Nah, they don't get banned. They just slide to the archive because of all the other threads that get created/bumped, and /prod/ can't compete with its small number of uninterested posters.

just check it out, depends on the people that are online when you try it

I'm not sure about that. I've seen /prod/threads disappear while I was in them and discussing stuff lately

Can you link to one of them on the archive?

Here:

If the thread's been deleted it will have a trashcan icon like here:
rbt.asia/mu/thread/75902513/
If not, it just means that it couldn't compte with the other threads.
Sup Forums is a relatively fast board with a fast thread creation rate, which means threads need to be bumped frequently to avoid getting archived.

>What if we made threads where the OP's digits were used to open the corresponding pages on freesound.org, and used the samples to make some music?

I’d be interested in that. I used to participate in something similar back in the 90’s. It was a monthly thing to create a track from an audio section from a film, it was always interesting to see what people came up with and how they got there.

i'd do this.

>I know /prod/ is dead but I don't have any friends who make music and I need help.

I know that feeling. I recently looked up meet up groups in my area as wanted to meet some new producers...nothing. I guess that’s the flip side to living in a no crime rate town in the arse end of nowhere.

Anyone else noticed this thread has been up for a few hours without any shitposting?

Nice.
If more Anons show interest I'll make an infographic with the instructions and we can try a few rounds.

sure, I'll be here on and off the next hour at least. If this thread dies just dedicate one to it

Alright, I'll keep this one bumped as long as I manage anyway.

Honestly, I'm sick of feeling like I'm on top of the world one day, and feeling like whatever I produce is hot garbage the next day.

that's only because you compare yourself to others. If all artists would think that way nothing original would come about. just do what you like without thinking about the outcome

Just recorded a little indie choon lads
clyp.it/1wmybojm

Kick drum sounds nice. Rest is shite.

I bet u think Trout Mask Replica sux too

I'm making the first draft with the rules.
How's this?

>Check the digits of the OP
>Paste them after this URL -> freesound.org/s/
>Visit it and download the sample
>Now remove the leftmost digit and repeat.

For example, 75898892 would give you:
freesound.org/s/75898892
freesound.org/s/5898892
freesound.org/s/898892
freesound.org/s/98892
freesound.org/s/8892
freesound.org/s/892
freesound.org/s/92
freesound.org/s/2

So visit each one, and whenever available download the sample.

Now make something cool with what you got.

==========

I'm ESL so any correction or suggestion is highly appreciated.

>autism mess of car alarm sounds
Elitist poptimism is why I left /prod/

fuck why did 4ms have to clean up, I love those panels

this is cool, I think it'd benefit a lot from cleaner vocals

malekko losing the wiard gargoyles was worse imo

looks good. i kind of like that there will be some sounds that come up the same 1/10th of the time

>fuck why did 4ms have to clean up, I love those panels

I think those two modules still come with the messy panel design. Both were bought this year as diy kits

>looks good.
Thanks.

>i kind of like that there will be some sounds that come up the same 1/10th of the time
Yeah, I noticed that.
Luckily most of the single digit ones are unavailable, so there won't be too much repetition I hope.

We can make a rule to avoid using them if it becomes annoying.

Here's v0.1

I called it "/sgt/ - Sample Game Thread" for now, but I'm not sure yet. Suggestions are welcome.

Is the text fine?

I have some space at the bottom. Should I write something about doing it to compare techniques, etc? (I'd need some help for that).
Or should I put some image?

Bump

do you think this is real

neat idea user

could be real. live is already expensive af so I can't see them sweating 20% and an upgrade.

I don't care for EDM, but it sounds pretty cool man.

Thank you very much.
Not sure I'd call it mine though.
I thought of it after some user kept posting "Sample roulette?" and then not responding to people asking what's a sample roulette, so I imagined what it would be like and thought that the best place to get randomized samples was freesound.

Also the "making a song using a specific set of samples" is an old idea that's everywhere from youtube videos to Reddit.

Just wanted to clarify that.

did you guys pirate fl studio? i use lmms because im top scared of the internet police.

nothing will happen just pirate it lmms is not very good imo

Don't use torrents.
They can get you in trouble (depending on where you live) and they're not really trustworthy.
Use DDL sites like AudioZ instead.
They have a community of trusted posters, active comment sections (pointing out any problem), and they always have the very latest releases directly from the release groups.

The only downside is that you have to be fast if you want something, because being so popular they get DMCA requests and they remove things pretty quickly (good luck getting Xfer plugins for example)

The latest link from 8 days ago (which I got from my RSS feeds) has been removed:
audioz.download/software/win/135048-download_image-line-fl-studio-producer-edition-v12515.html

You can add this [audioz.download/software/win/rss.xml] to an RSS reader and get notified of every new release in the software>windows section.

I think there are services that can turn RSS entries into emails, so you don't have to get a reader just for one feed.

Here:
ifttt.com/feed

Alternatively, I found you the latest version on MEGA:
mega.nz/#!t15n2B7T!5ItaApAd6Q16mVL3qgi9tsbSvVqMtQypYRz52IVugsE

But I can't confirm whether it's trustworthy or not.

Don't they announce their beta program a few months before?
Seems weird that these sale-related things are popping out before it.

thank u user i love u

No problem.

I know jack shit about mixing/mastering, rate my shitty WIP clyp
Going for an intentionally bassy, bitcrushed sound
clyp.it/5r4xhg4v

Hey my brother,
I compose "electroacoustic" music.
Your words resonate in me.
You should just publish your stuff, you'd be surprised how many people actually enjoy it.

today it's better to produce a lot and show what is done, than hide what you haven't done.

agree

electroacoustic music is great, but you have to be good at arranging the bleeps and farts too

Any suggestion for a new name or something to write in the space below?

Noticed the easel in the OP. Are the Bemi Easels still trash? I wouldn't mind saving up to cop one if they were nice.

bump

U stealth deleted the last one boi but ty for bump

Yeah, I delete all bumps because the post number is limited and they still do their job after deletion.
No need to have 10 bump posts in the thread if we can just get rid of them, no?
If for some reason you still want to see them they're here:

Anyone else only coming up with 2 sounds from all this?

I'm getting 3:
freesound.org/people/reaktorplayer/sounds/98892/
freesound.org/people/patchen/sounds/8892/
freesound.org/people/plagasul/sounds/92/

soundcloud.com/samiser/tuesday

>total noob
>learn by experimenting
>no idea how to produce properly

How do I learn Sup Forumssos

You are literally what's wrong with mu

I need some advice on what DAW to use for film scoring. I'm a novice right now.
Been working in Studio One 3 the last couple of months, but their video player is beyond useless. Plus a few bugs here and there and not many results from googling anything Studio One-related. Still seems a little too fresh with lots of kinks to iron out.

Any advice on which DAW I should try next? Something that's stable and with good workflows for composing music for video.
I'm leaning towards Cubase right now. No real reason other than the fact that I've heard people say it's very stable. Thoughts?

by experimenting. your clip is more interesting than many of the clips others post here because it's original

From what I’ve observed it seems like most film scorers use logic or cubase

Thanks!

What I mean is how do I learn the particular ins and outs of refining a mix.

I am learning synthesis by experimenting and stuff, and that's great, but with production I just don't really know where to even begin.

Cheers mate! Looks like I might be looking in the direction then. I use Windows, so Cubase it is!

Alright so I usually stick to edm production and such but a friend asked me to make a beat for some dumb diss track. I've never actually tried to make hip hop since my entire library is just edm samples. So I found some lex luger samples and did what i could in Serum
clyp.it/pkugqwpk

Pretty good. Stick a sub bass in there.

You are literally what's wrong with mu

Leaning by experimenting is fine and personally it can lead to some really interesting styles of production. I usually just stick to a basic toolset and then read the manual for each thing and get experimenting (I’m not a big fan of YouTube tutorials) it’s a slower process than other methods like being shown but I’m in no hurry and it’s all part of the fun of learning for me.

I think stienberg make a dedicated film scoring software called Neuendo which is often mistaken for cubase as it looks similar

Ah, I see! That's very useful information... I'll check Nuendo out too. Thanks, friend!

anyone up for this?

thanks I missed one

Somebody please tell me what is supposed to go on a M-channel after I mix the track? Does the track need to sound super clear before that, or is a bit of mud fixed on a M-channel?

Lol, why does Sup Forums think the word "M AS TE R" is a spam? (That's what I meant with M-channel, but I had to somehow change the word)

"EDM bangers" are pretty much the only type of music that constantly gets a shitton of praise ITT for some reason.

Generally when mixing you would get your levels and EQing done on each individual mixer channel and then add your mastering tools (bus compression, EQ, limiters etc) to the mastering channel for mastering

And what is the reason people don't recommend putting any kind of limiter or anything else there before finishing mixing?