Literally a bunch of rich NY kids playing derivative music. Why are they so revered?

Literally a bunch of rich NY kids playing derivative music. Why are they so revered?

They copied Television but they do have talent

>Why are they so revered?
music's good n stuff

I enjoyed their first couple of albums but I like them less and less with each release

very listenable with a good aesthetic

They're similar to The Beatles. The Beatles weren't amazing or super original but they were popular as hell and still made good enough music to have this godlike status among young people at the time. The Strokes aren't amazing or super original but Is This It and Room On Fire were popular and good enough for them to be seen as living gods at the time. Whether or not they're still seen as living gods by the majority is unlikely, but at the time they were and are still by a select few.

They're a shitty VU/Television copy, though they have like 2 catchy songs

>Why are they so revered?
listen to their first two records and you would instantly know
why even bother asking this

Pitchfork was desperately pushing the narrative of nothing-special 2000s rock bands being the new Beatles or Rolling Stones or Oasis (3 greatest musical bands ever). Now they're utilizing that same narrative to call everyone who believed them idiots without taking any responsibility for what they perpetuated.

They aren't "so revered", but Is This It is a good album and deserves the recognition it gets.

They managed to take VU/Television sounds and molded them into catchy lowest denominator tunes
They're nothing special, but their music is still fun once in a while.

>3 greatest musical bands ever

they captured the zeitgeist

Their music will stand the test of time because their early songs (up to room on fire) were extremely well written. The NY underground garage rock aesthetic thing was secondary to extremely solid songwriting -- the way it should be.

Yeah I never got this. I've literally heard a friend say Is This It "changed their life". All that early 00s scene was pretty bland and unremarkable.

Is this it is the best record of the 21st century.

>pushing the narrative of nothing-special bands
sounds like they're the Oasis of the 2000s then

Well marketed+people are idiots

idk how anyone could not like Is This It, pretty much went downhill after that

the song were catchy and groovy, Julian has a cool voice. it was just a great rock record

Their first two albums are timeless. One of the best bands of aughts and still one of the best rock bands around.

This. Right place right time. They were good but timing played a huge part in their success.

It's not a bad band, but it's not the greatest of it's genre either, and most of their fame is due to a song featured in guitar hero