Why didn't she let Tony protect her

Why didn't Dr. Melfi let Tony take care of that mother fucker. Rapists are absolute scum and she would have been doing the right thing. She is obviously infatuated with Tony, do you think it was like she wanted to live on the edge, but I guess she thought letting Tony would do this would push her into that world entirely.

Im rewatching the whole series and her failure to act confuses me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tbC0Ua0Zeec
m.youtube.com/watch?v=dIH40bTNPZ0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Something about then she would be no better than the very client she's trying to help.

Also, it would have been too easy so it made people like you mad.

>Something about then she would be no better than the very client she's trying to help.

This. She has her morals and sticks by them. This is something men can never understand.

because then she would have owed him

Because unlike Breaking Bad or Mad Men, this show has actual depth

She allowed a known rapist to go free, raping other women, just so that she could feel morally superior. This is a realistic depiction of how women think.

>Women
>Morals

I'm laughing

After the shit she went through in Season 1 with being stuck in hiding at the motel (when Junior tried whacking Tony) I can't imagine she'd want to delve any deeper into Tony's mob life outside of their therapy sessions.
She was also pretty strict about wanting to keep the doctor-patient relationship just at that level after the first few seasons, despite the attraction she feels for Tony.

I feel pity for both of them really, they clearly like each other a lot and probably would've been great for each other if the circumstances were different.

That was a Greta fucking episode, the ending was amazing. Did any other handle a rape storyline better than the sopranos

I agree, OP here and one of my absolute favorite episodes. For my anger in my original post, I think this show handles a rape plot point better than anything else I have ever seen it.

>mfw that creepy dream sequence with her getting her hand stuck in the soda machine at night and the Tony Dog attacking the rapist

youtube.com/watch?v=tbC0Ua0Zeec

It was weird though. During season 2 she absolutely hates him yet at the start of season 3 she's over it.
You can really tell they had no plans for the Melfi relationship after Tony's Mom's actress died.

>mfw The Test Dream
I can only hope I never have such vivid dreams.

It's not about moral you snarky snarks, it's about the simple fact that everyone knows, that if you let a mafioso do anything for you, they'll consider you their property. Melfi, being Italian, knows this, and when it came down to it, had to resist the temptation of asking Tony for help, knowing what it would mean for her down the road.

This guy gets it

Because she sucks OP. That would have been an amazing episode or scene to watch

>not realising The Sopranos revels in anticlimax

Yeah I get it. Just rages me once she says no :(

Never owe anything to the mob.

Didn't she end up calling him during season 2 to ask if he wanted to do an appointment (while he was in the car waiting for Furio) though?
I always saw them as having a sort of love-hate relationship from the beginning.

It's refreshing to have a Sopranos thread on here again that isn't just memes

The fault is on the system, not her. She did her part. Using the mob to fix the system is just fascism.

The problem I had with it is that her disdain is still strong by the end of season 2 but they legitimately erase it at the start of 3. Like, the sessions during season 2 are combative and she argues with him directly.

They did it a lot in the show, like when Arthur and his wife Charmaine get back together off screen because the writers didn't know what the hell to do with him.

Melfi 100% did it to feel smug. That's why she did everything she did. That's the only reason she started seeing Tony to begin with.

You never, EVER want to owe gangsters ANYTHING.

Is the best scene lads, the last time tony and Chris spoke as true friends :(
m.youtube.com/watch?v=dIH40bTNPZ0

>They did it a lot in the show, like when Arthur and his wife Charmaine get back together off screen because the writers didn't know what the hell to do with him.
I found this kind of weird too, especially since it's pretty clear that Charmaine finds him to be completely pathetic.
My best guess would be that they had a similar arrangement like Tony had with Carmela (with them doing it for the sake of the kids, public relations and Charmaine getting a chunk of the the restaurant).

To this day I still wish the final scene of the series was at Artie's restaurant instead of some random diner never shown before, Artie deserved a little closure (same with Hesh, fuck his last episode was depressing).

>tfw first time watching I thought Christopher would end up maturing and taking over the reigns of the family
>mfw what actually happened later on
Poor Chrissy never got his arc

Where was this implied?

the main thing I remember is the meeting with her own psychiatrist where she talks about how she could squash the guy at any moment if she wanted to but knew it was wrong.

Thread
laughing or crying?

Milfi and her family are constantly used as a contrast to Tony and co. She comes from a similar Italian immigrant background, but her family steered away from clientelism and crime in favor of a straight path.

It's not just about her personal ethics, but also makes a wider point about opting to live inside or outside of the system as an Italian immigrant despite the advantages of a criminal lifestyle.

Bingo.