I'll start

I'll start

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_5Ocz04H8EY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

true kino thread? i've been pushing curse of the golden flower

Think he means war kino, tripfag.

Carentan is the best episode. Prove me wrong.

Also, Clint should have directed The Pacific. Would have turned out better than the terrible sequel we got.

Generation kill>>

The Pacific was shit and the Australian episodes were a chore to get through

I hated all the characters

Pearl Harbor is the only real answer to portraying war

non-gun involving war welcome

Something a weeb and his ptsd veteran grandpa can both enjoy

you're a turbopleb

Superior WW2 aviation films:
>Battle of Britain
>Tora! Tora! Tora!
>The Dam Busters
>Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
>Twelve O'Clock High
>Memphis Belle
>Tuskegee Airmen

I have never been more triggered that when I saw this movie in the theater and Bloom starts giving the speech toward the end of the move. His voice wouldn't fucking carry anywhere near as far as all those shots that get progressively farther and farther out from him,

>2006
>used to smoke weed with a dude who was joining the military
>one day we binge watched BoB, got high as fuck and ate pizza all day
>towards the end: "dude, i'm actually scared. if i have to ship out... i don't want to die. not for a war like this. maybe if it was something worth fighting for, but--"
>cant think of anything to say, down a beer and just shrug. "you'll be all right."
>other friend: "yeah man, i doubt they'll ship you out."
>sure enough, he gets sent to afghanistan
>comes back a changed man, angry all the time, taking opiates and harder drugs
>gets shipped out again, lose contact
>mutual friend tells me he was KIA in like 2008 and i only found out recently

Every time I see a BoB thread, it hits me a little more in the feels...

it's better than Flags. Something about going into a story knowing the outcome is certain death makes a story better.

Well I was just joking but the fact you mentioned Memphis Belle makes me happy. Fuckin loved that movie growing up, got me into reading about history.

What a pussy

Memphis Belle is one of my favourite movies of all time. I rewatched it recently and I'm glad it aged well. It definitely wasn't a case of it being good cause I watched it as a kid.

maga wouldve prevented this

You shut the fuck up, you anime gif loving piece of shit.

He may have died in a pointless war but at least he died a man, not a bitch ass virgin nigga who faps to cartoons.

this

Says the nu male weeb

Real heroes don't die in combat or get captured.

Best episode is clearly Bastogne

Thanks trump :^)

I never said he was a hero. There's nothing heroic about driving over an IED

Man I haven't seen it in such a long time, need to find a copy.

> your friend is a surgical waste now
Dont be sad take a candy

Why are tripfags so fucking stupid?

>Memphis Belle (1990) 1080p BrRip x264 - YIFY

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:c0d882b9cefbb0fc371b0e5a9f145abad8bf46de&dn=Memphis+Belle+%281990%29+1080p+BrRip+x264+-+YIFY&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fzer0day.ch%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969

I wonder when it will be okay to start romanticizing the Vietnam War.

Forgot my pic

Sounds like it was all your fault, he was trying to connect and you shot him down and now he's dead

>but at least he died a man, not a bitch ass virgin nigga who faps to cartoons.
Both will be skeletons in a hole in the ground.

Thanks man

It already is.

Wow you're a piece of shit. Your friend's been dead for 8 years and you never even thought to see how he was?

Fuck. You.

Shit tier Vietnam kino t b h, lad

That is debatable, but it does romanticize the Vietnam war.

Apocalypse Now is the best Nam movie, followed closely by Full Metal and Platoon.

I don't think it's really fair to compare the Pacific to Band of Brothers, they're totally different in their purpose and execution. The only thing they really have in common is the episode/miniseries structure.

Band of brothers is about honoring the exploits of a large group of men and providing exciting combat action with a level of realism rarely seen in the genre. The characters themselves are glorified as larger-than-life figures, who do no wrong and achieve incredible things. The complexity of the individuals and the conflict they fought in isn't explored in great detail because the end goal is to leave the audience inspired and awestruck.

The pacific is more about exploring the personal journeys of a smaller number of characters. It shows their highs and lows, their courage and their flaws. There is more focus on their struggles to cope with the hardships they face. Battle scenes are a confusing, ghastly affair which the individual participants play a minor role in. The intended result is to leave the audience feeling a mixture of relief and sadness at the true nature of war and the waste it produces.

Ultimately which is better depends on what you want and your personal background. My opinion is that BoB is more of a US-style 'grand adventure that brings out the best in us', whereas Pacific is more of a Euro-style 'no winners in war' affair.

Neither of which romanticize the Vietnam war. Quite the opposite actually, they show it as hell on earth that turns humans into beasts.

they're the youtubers of Sup Forums.

what i want to know is why doesn't asian moot do something about them already?

Apocalypse now is kino but I don't really see it as a Vietnam movie, more of a dark adventure-fantasy with the conflict as a backdrop. Full Metal Jacket could have worked similarly whether it was Korea, Iraq, whatever. Platoon is definitely a Vietnam film.

Whilst I do agree

I just think Band of Brothers is just an inherently better series

BoB is based on what actually happened to Easy Company, only occasionally taking artistic license for story telling. The Pacific is a combination of several memoirs from the theater that invents characters to house multiple things from multiple sources and is much more reliant on the screenplay stringing together climactic events instead of what actually happened to individual Marines in the Pacific

People like BoB more because it actually happened.

I can see where you're coming from. Apocalypse seemed to be more about the madness of war in general. But with that said, I think all great war flicks to be more about the existential aspect rather than specific.

I'm not sure about romanticizing it but Vietnam has always been the "coolest" looking, for lack of a better word, war/conflict to me.
Something about the transition between WWII and modern day in terms of weaponry, tactics, technology, etc. is just so appealing even though it was hell for nearly everyone involved.
It's up there with WWI for wars I'd least like to fight in.

Care to elaborate?

One thing that works in Band of Brothers favour is the smoother narrative. The pacific jumps around a lot between characters, locations and points in time which does give a somewhat disjointed feel.

I preferred the way the Pacific focused on a smaller number of characters in greater depth. Band of brothers doesn't really develop its characters that much, and with so many characters it makes it hard to connect beyond 'oh man those guys were tough'. The pacific on the other hand enabled you to better connect with their experience, to take more away from the series than just a reinforcement of the prevailing narrative.

Ultimately I'd say I enjoyed BoB more but the Pacific has left more of a lasting impact in my mind.

but the protag survives. He charges the beach head with a shovel and gets KO'd.

You're right, but I think by focusing more on the surface level of the characters and avoiding many of the grisly realities BoB ultimately ends up coming across as less realistic. The pacific isn't afraid to show the dishonourable aspects of its characters and events and ultimately feels more genuine because of it.

Even snafu?

I would say BoB was much more subtle in terms of the overall development of the soldiers throughout the war. It didn't have whole episodes dedicated to a single guy fucking around on pass, like the Australia episodes of the Pacific. You literally follow E Company from basic training, to the war, surviving the war, and then the last episode about what became of them after the war. it had a larger cast, but that made actual moments of personal demons (like Nixon's alcoholism and his self loathing for never actually going into battle despite his praise as an officer) that much more interesting.

Nixon ended up with more combat jumps than anyone else in Easy company.

I misremembered. It was that he never actually shot his gun despite his acolades.

youtube.com/watch?v=_5Ocz04H8EY

I acknowledge the Melbourne episode was a low point and is skippable in repeat viewings. I also agree Nixon was one of the strongest portrayals in the series.

Most of the rest of the characters are all shown in an extremely respectful and favourable light. They're stoic, hard-fighting men who endure everything with discipline and good humour without ever questioning whether it's worthwhile. There's only one character who shows any reluctance to fight and he's portrayed as an aberration and a disgrace.

One the other hand aside from Basilione, the characters in the Pacific are portrayed as most soldiers really were: scared young men who reluctantly did their grim duty due to a combination of coercion, obligation, hatred for the enemy and patriotism.

>Nix was basically a failure after the war and only got by because Winters refused to stop believing in his friend

>it's a 'the commanding officer just went awol and we're about to siege Bastogne' episode

>I'll go...for help!

He had the fear
Thats why he died, I deployed 3 times and never got the fear
If you think you're gonna die you will

**Disregard fear, acquire rip its

>"Take your man around the town on a flanking mission!"

holy fuck I can't believe someone didn't just murder him and bury him in the snow

>with so many characters it makes it hard to connect beyond 'oh man those guys were tough'
this. I couldn't remember a lot of their names and a lot of time their faces were hard to recognize due to a combination of their gear, dirt, and movement.
"Oh shit Guy got hit" I would have to look them up in the credits just to remember.

I think the show is a bit hard on the guy, no doubt he was bad but probably exaggerated to provide a general representation of the bad officers that men had to work under. He was probably a decent, smart young man who excelled at many of the other aspects of his job that due to his connections got put into a prestigious outfit when he really should have had more training/experience in a less important position, or some tougher assessment to realise he wasn't able to command before he actually had to do it for real.

This guy knows whats up

I think he committed suicide in real life

I was watching this one day and a bird was chirping outside. I tried to get it to shut up but it wouldn't so I smashed my laptop and hit the bird with a rock.

It was during that scene where that kid is slowly dying. During the stealth mission.

IS THERE A PROBLEM, CAP'N SOBEL?

Nah that was Sobel.

>In 1970, Sobel shot himself in the head with a small-caliber pistol.[9] The bullet entered his left temple, passed behind his eyes, and exited out the other side of his head. This severed his optic nerves and left him blind.[9] He was later moved to a VA assisted living facility in Waukegan, Illinois. Sobel resided there for his last seventeen years until his death due to malnutrition on September 30, 1987.[9] No services were held for Sobel after his death