How does Sup Forums feel about separating art from the artist?

Do you always drop artists for having politics you disagree with or for being shitty people? Or do you just enjoy the music and ignore the person behind it?

I'm mostly in the latter camp if I'm being honest.

i still like le tigre even though they are raging feminists so it depends on how much you can forgive them and how much their music makes up for it

Anyone who doesn't do the latter is a meme; both SJW and Sup Forumstard alike.

as long as their music isnt noticeably affected by their ideologies, i have no issue listening to music by anyone, however i can totally understand and appreciate the other side of the argument

as long as they keep the politics out of it, I'll listen. although I went to a STRFKR show for the first time the past summer and found out they're all raging queers and I'll admit that I have pretty much stopped listening to them altogether

I couldnt care less about the person, thats not what my ears are for

Who are either of these paperwhites

>not having judgemental ears

Eh, pretty much every musician I listen to is the polar opposite of my own political POV. I listen to mostly indie and old new wave/post-punk and all those guys are screaming leftists. I don't really care in the end.

are you from reddit? you sound like someone who's from reddit

varg is my cool uncle and i want to protect his smile

I listen to techno despite it being taken over by radical leftists. It's a real witch hunt out there though so even if someone is on the right they'll sure as hell keep their mouth shut if they want to keep getting booked...

if it isn't integral to their work i can seperate the politics.
i haven't seen much in the way of politics on ra with their techno reviews and news

why would i listen to and support a grimy disgusting rapist when there's more good music out there than i could ever listen to in a lifetime its not like i'm losing much

Only if you make it a point not to throw money at shitty people because they make good work.
If you're going to watch Woody Allen or Victor Salva's shit, or listen to bands headed by rapists (like Lostprophets, BOTDF, anything related to Twiggy Ramirez, and CC), find ways to get it for free, and avoid offering them publicity or praise.
Compartmentalizing the artist from their art is just willfully blinding yourself to the fact that by supporting their art, you're supporting them and enabling them to continue performing horrendous actions. It's turning a blind eye to absolve oneself of guilt/cognitive dissonance, and it's cowardly.
Screaming "SJW!!!" doesn't change that fact.

rape is one of the most common female fantasies, it's not a big deal as long as they're adult.

Traps are one of the most common male fantasies, it's not a big deal as long as they're adult

same poster again
all i've seen is the for paris review, unless i'm missing some other shit

le tigre are good if you get past the feminism thing. i'm with her was a piece of shit musically though.

i primarily fantasize about violently murdering rapists and rape apologists

I guess my favorite artists aren't retards that rant about their personal political opinions on the internet, let alone their lyrics.

I don't really read about artists. That said, I do know some are pretty left leaning whereas I'm very right leaning. I still listen to their work as long as the content of the some isn't obnoxiously left though (and keep in mind that this doesn't happen often anyways).

If I didn't learn to separate the art from the artist, I'd only have about two artists that I like.

maybe reconsider your personal moral philosophy because clearly art being made by folks you're in wild disagreement with resonates with you on an emotional level

I usually separate the work from the artist unless what they do is a complete betrayal of what they always stood for. I never liked PWR BTTM but they’re a good example of that.

I try hard not to let someone's politics and/or dumbassery affect my perception of their work. Usually that's no problem since I listen to a lot of music without lyrics. Sometimes it's too much though and I delete their stuff because I don't want to be reminded of it. Or I'll realize the actual meaning of some pretentious lyric from an album that's like 10 years old and I just roll my eyes.

Interesting thread topic, user. I really wish there was a way to track an artist's audiences after the election since that's been so ridiculously damning for everyone on both sides.

>t. fag who feels the need to justify everything he thinks to be sure he stays PC

I never knew my father

If their shit philosophy is in the music it gets dropped. If it's not I'll keep listening but won't pay a cent.

The press apparently thinks it's fine since they keep reviewing and booking Michael Gira.

Imagine having such a sad life you have to keep up with other peoples opinions and feels to let yourself have fun

my father disowned me for being queer, and he emotionally abused my mother for years and in/directly caused her daughter's death

my father is a bad man, the worst i've ever known

>um maybe like stop doing that because art actually is the artist

Artists are almost always emotionally driven people and thus are liberal in their politics. You're a child if you think you have to agree with every single person that you're aware of.

Oh you actually are a queer, your posts make sense now.

you should consider why exactly you find their work resonant -- ain't nobody ever heard of beautiful music made by nazis

Why do people continue to reply to this reddit idiot? He and that namefag have been shifting up the boards for days now

My Mother and her boyfriend used to dress me up as a girl whenever I'd act up as a child.

I wonder why Gira gets by with it but other artists don’t? Is it because the accusations towards Gira seem sketchy while they’re more damning with the others?

queers are sad people because lots of folks hate us just for existing, it's really miserable thinking that someone on the other side of the internet feels that way about me when they know nothing else about who i am

that's horrific and i'm sorry, nobody should be subjected to that kind of gender trauma

You're either baiting or retarded. There's definitely Nazi bands that make music considered as good in their genre.

To me he just looks like a scumbag so I always factored that in.

He looks like a normal Jew. What are you trying to say?

what's the most beautiful nazi song you can think of?

>beautiful
The fuck has subjective "beauty" have to do with musical quality

Quicksand

I also generally don't give a shit, except for one exception.
The Knife.
Silent Shout is fucking fantastic, but I am not a fan of "Shaking the Privilege". It just gets obnoxious at that point.

Maybe you don't go there often enough to see it, but they have a real political agenda. The attached picture is the guidelines for posting.. you can see the SJW ideology is built right into it. They literally ban any discussion of their dogma. Most of the time they act preemptively and disable commenting on articles that are politically loaded. Shameful.

That is fucking disgusting. Not only does it, you know, harm free speech and all that right-wing jazz, but it also PROVES that these people don't believe a word that is coming out of their mouths.
The truths that I hold as self-evident are just that, self evident. Incorrect until proven right. If there is no one around to argue for my point of view, my idea dies, simple as that. This language requires religious faith, not logic. It's sick people can believe this in this day-and-age. That's the real "current year" tragedy.