Recent cops?
Whats your hardware?
Rarest record?
Debating about digital vs analog?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zV-edj6cNOY
discogs.com/user/Notelord43/collection
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Im looking into getting vinyls and I just wanna get a good afordable player. Any recs?

Affordable can range from $150-$400 mostly. Meme players (tried and tested newbie players) such as the AT-LP120 or the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon are great. They won't offer much room for upgrading, save for cartridges, but unless you have a lot of money to spend in the long run, that shouldn't affect you.

Audio Technica LP-120 (one in OP) is probably the best, although its about $400.

If you want a solid player, that's going to sound great, have all the features you need and not fuck up your records, its the one to get.

Just stay clear of Crosley, the LP-60, cheap Sony's and anything ION.

Thanks

Getting a pro-ject debut carbon tomorrow
Also getting audio engine A5s

On order:
At the Drive-In - Relationship of Commands
Death - Individual Thought Patterns

On preorder:
Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising
Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God
Ensiferum - Ensiferum
Ensiferum - Iron
The Dear Hunter - All Is As All Should Be
My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

Rarest stuff would be most of my Coheed and Cambria records, probably The Afterman box set I have. Not spinning anything tonight though because I'm pretty tired and don't wanna sit in my room. Setup is a Fluance RT80 with a Grado Blue cartridge and some active speakers I got off amazon for $100. Looking into getting a decent receiver and passive speakers in the future soonish.

It's an incredibly simple setup, but here's a video in case. youtube.com/watch?v=zV-edj6cNOY

I’m thinking about getting the Fluance RT-81

Would you recommend it? (Similar enough to the 80)
Also thanks for the heads up on the MBV reissues

They're both phenomenal tables honestly. The main difference between the two hardware wise is the different stylus/cartridge that's in each. The RT80 has a conical stylus which is a fair bit worse than the one in the RT81. If you're going to upgrade your stylus/cartridge in the near future I'd suggest just getting the RT80 because it's $50 less you're gonna be spending when you're gonna be upgrading the most worthwhile piece in your TT. Other than that the RT81 comes with a rubber slipmat which is great and I bought separately later and it's much better because my felt mat kept sticking to my records and crap would always get all over it. And yeah enjoy those MBV reissues, I'm really excited for them myself even though I just bought a bootleg a month or so ago but oh well. Didn't think they'd actually come out this soon.

>What are you spinning?
Nothing tonight as I am at work.
>Recent cops?
The last record I've received was Earth 2 by Earth, but I've got The Witch Hat House by The Marshmallow Ghosts and Mania by Fall Out Boy pre-ordered. Awaiting my paycheck Friday as I'll probably pre-order the new Electric Wizard and set aside about $150 for Black Friday.
>Whats your hardware?
Panasonic SG-H10
Rarest record?
Probably Permanence by Deathmole as it was a Kickstarter funded release I backed
>Debating about digital vs analog?
Analog sounds better for sure but for on the go, digital is a must.

I just picked up
Kind of Blue
DOFP and TOCC - Moody Blues
Dire Straits S/T
Soleil - Francoise Hardy
George Harrison S/T
Japanese Melodies for Flute and Harp

oh and I use an LP-120
rarest records are probably mono first press Pet Sounds, Blonde on Blonde, and Piper at the Gates

Currently spinning Blueberry Hill by Fats Domino for obvious reasons.

Latest purchase was The Desaturating Seven by Primus

My rarest record is an OP of The Awakening by The Pharoahs

King Jammys Dancehall 1: Digital Revolution 1985-1989
King Jammys Dancehall 2: Digital Roots & Hard Dancehall 1984-1991
King Jammys Dancehall 3: Hard Dancehall Murderer 1985-1989
King Jammys Dancehall 4: Hard Dancehall Lover 1985-1989
Equiknoxx, Mark Ernestus - Mark Ernestus Remixes
Drums Off Chaos - Compass

my dad has an original pressing of yes - close to the edge and skiantos - kinotto.
I've got no idea if they are in any way rare but that's the oldest records he and I have.

recently picked up:
Special Herbs vol. 1-2 - Metalfingers
Kind of Blue - Miles
The College Dropout - Kanye West
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Kanye West
Unexpected Guests - MF DOOM

Quick question. I have one of the new Lenco L85s and I'm not sure wether this table can damage my records because of it's low price. Does anyone know if it's safe to spin?

just bought a S.O.N.S. 12", a jus-ed 12", and a reissue of Money Jungle on 180g just a beautiful pressing

Maybe a bit in the long run since it doesn't have a counterweight and replaceable stylus.
Still, I wouldn't play anything expensive on it.

Like others have said, the atlp120 and pro-ject turntables are good if you want to buy new.
If you wanna save some money you can look around for vintage turntables. Technics and Pioneer are some well respected ones, just make sure to look for turntable with a counterweight and replaceable stylus.

Not spinning anything right now, room is occupied
I got the new king gizzard and Ariel pink - mature themes last week
Running a rega rp1 through an entry level Cambridge amp and psb bookshelf speakers, sounds pretty nice
Rarest record would probably be a tiny Tim mini lp, or some australian psychedelic release from a few years ago, or a king gizzard double release thats on discogs for much more than I paid for it..

Is this not a counterweight? I have an old pressing of Unknown Pleasures and I'm really scared of playing it.

Was reading a review that was talking about its ease of use, specifically how you didn't need to adjust the counterweight so I assume it's not an actual counterweight.
Can you turn it at all? It doesn't look like it has any markings or numbers so my guess is that it's there for show. Most turntables with a non replaceable stylus just have a set counterweight specifically for that stylus.

I'm not at home right now but I'm pretty sure it's non-adjustable but then again I don't think the stylus is replacable so I actually really don't know if it's real or not

HEY !
>What are you spinning?
lots of italo disco and 80's 12" 45rpm i cant stop
Recent cops?
Nicole "dont you want my love" unkown even on discogs and also some 5star / five star
>Whats your hardware?
project carbon esprit with hand built power supply , grado MC and hand built phono because i am poor, used to own a sl1200 m5g / rb1000 / at33
>Rarest record ?
losts of picture discs and alot of transparent promo only records i got from a chiqs gay uncle who used to run a radio station and died of aids
i will lay it down once and for all: the studios and tape machines in the late 70's/80's beat the shit out of our most advanced digital tech till about 2012 till our 24/192 and jitter reduction tech and 64bit processing space inside modern daws became mainstream... and im not even talking about the loudness war did to mastering.

long story short... old tape and vinyl rips in 24 bit still beat the shit out of modern productions with 124db of dynamic range, we have so so so much to learn

Sup Forums sucks and has been moving too fast

I got that signed copy of Live at Jittery Joes

Wow, awesome

I got almost 5k right now, pretty much all funk and soul, a lot of forty fives. I like mixing several tables live with real vinyl, and improvising shit like scratched in flute solos, mash ups and turntablism. Cannot fux with serato.

I was just listening to The Campfire Headphase on vinyl. The grain is warm my features dudes

BoC is ultimate comfy especially on vinyl this time of year holy fuccccck

>>Recent cops?
>The Prodigy - The Fat of the Land
>Aphex Twin - SAW II
>Tool - Opiate
>>Whats your hardware?
Pioneer PL-400 and SX-780
>>Rarest record?
Don't have any, I guess my VMP Demon Days is """rare"""
>>Debating about digital vs analog?
Completely new to vinyl and I have to say it sounds fucking superb

> What are you spinning?
Nothing atm, just listening to some stuff on bandcamp.
> Recent cops?
Last piece of music I bought was the "Since I left you" cassingle from The Avalanches, last vinyl cop was the reissue of Gigi Masin's Wind.
> What's your hardware?
Akai ap-206C, Sanyo MG-27 cartridge
> Rarest record?
Probably an original press of Music for Nine Postcards from Hiroshi Yoshimura

tfw scored an old copy of Dio's Holy Diver for $10. It's scuffed as hell, but it plays well enough. And it's fucking awesome.

>What are you spinning?
Joanna Newsom's Ys Street Band EP
>Recent cops?
Earth 2 and the Ghost in the Shell OST
>Hardware?
Sony table from the 70's, 2M red, some other shit
>Rarest record?
I guess the Loveless reissue, so nothing really.

Where do you guys hunt for your Records? I was thinking of going to My local Good Will

Obituaries and estate sales. Road trips.

pretty sure LP120 has a built in preamp. Don't do it.

bump

I have a technics SL-Q20
Dont care what anyone says about them I love technics

sup dudes

>What are you spinning?
My recent cops, most recently Sam Prekop's self-titled. (the guy from Sea and Cake)

>Recent cops?
pic related
plain black record is Les Rallizes Denudes - 77 Live
Sgt Pepper is the 50th anniversary version

>Whats your hardware?
Pro-Ject Essential II
Nakamichi BX-150
NAD C 326BEE
Schiit Magni 2 and Modi 2
PSB bookshelf speakers (can't remember exact model
Aiwa DX1500

>Rarest record?
Hard to say, I have a couple Tragically Hip original pressings, but my gold copy of Mars Volta - Deloused is going for a lot on discogs.

I prefer analog for everything, even guitar pedals, but who knows why

discogs: discogs.com/user/Notelord43/collection

recent cops,
no shape, perfume genius clear vinyl
s/t. slowdive silver vinyl
relatives in decent blue vinyl
talk talk talk, psychedelic furs

My grandmother has offered to give me a pair of Belle Klipsch speakers. They were my grandpas, but he's dead and she's moving.

What should I play on them first?

You can toggle it on and off...

I've got a entry Audio Technica, picked it at Best Buy for a hundred. Still had to buy a preamp tho. No regerts at all.

the LP60? You have to toggle the preamp, it's a tiny switch on the back

Yeah, and pic related is the only switch on the back.

>put it on "line"
>directly from TT out to speakers

Try it and tell me that it doesn't work

I'm running g it through my reciever which does not have a phono output.

>With its built-in switchable phono preamp, the AT-LP60 may be connected directly to your computer, home stereo, powered speakers and other components that have no dedicated turntable input. The turntable is supplied with an integral Audio-Technica Dual Magnet™ phono cartridge with replaceable stylus.

Well, fuck.

The names on the switch are kinda misleading but "line" turns on the built in preamp. You can then plug the turntable straight into speakers. A receiver w/ amp is preferable of course but not necessary. The minimum setup for an LP60/LP120 is just turntable and speakers.

My nigga

I bought all Hudson Mohawke's work on vinyl for €60

Oh man, it sounds so much clearer without the outboard preamp. Also, found two speakers that had come undone, so... win-win.

Gotta clean up the rats nest, but whatever.

how do you do gapless playback on a record if you have to get up and turn it over to play the other side?

ELP had this problem with brain salad surgery. They split Karn Evil 9 into part 1 and 2. On my digital version i combined them into one long track and it sounds great

what about records that contain an album that is one continuous mix?

What do you guys clean with and how often?

Gruv Glide. Hardly ever unless it's techno shit for a club.

Traded in like 10-20 cds and the guy was nice enough to give me like $45 store credit. Was hoping to get Rubicon since it was in there last I checked but copd this instead. Considering I live in Bumfuck, Australia I'm just glad we now have a record store. Never listened to it. Did I do good?

Ok. I have another question. I use an audio technica. If I want to replace the cartridge must it be audio technica or can it be any brand?

Doesn't really matter, but if you plan to spin in any capacity make sure you get a direct drive. I had the same tech 12's since the late 90's... Wish I had a QFO

Oh and I guess rarest record would be like... Prowler in the Yard pic disc or og Never Mind the Bollocks released through wizard records. Not that rare I know. Too ashamed to name my tech, but rest assured it's not a crosley with inbuilt speakers.

HUM - You'd Prefer An Astronaut.

I haven't touched vinyl for over two to three weeks now. My receiver fried up and it's gonna take some time to get it fixed.
>Recent cops?
Pre-ordered a number of records, which Im still waiting.
>Pure Guava
>Bark Psychosis - Hex
>Floral Shoppe
>Loveless
Considering preordering Disco Inferno's Technicolour LP and The 5 EPs, which they repressed now, but holy shit One Little Indian store isn't working for me right now
>old pic

Yeah, it's deceiving on its looks, it's still a cheap-ass record player

bump

>direct drive

Enjoy you’re vibration noise

bump

>bought the pro-ject debut carbon
>arrives after 1.5 weeks
>Long week of grad school pumped to spin a record after upgrading from LP-60
>Drop the needle
>Fuck why so quiet????
>needs a fucking phono preamp
>2 weeks later the preamp still hasn't arrived

Whats the best way to buy vinyl? I've checked out discogs, but whats the most efficient way to find local records?

local record store, goodwill

Is there any recording of what that noise is supposed to sound like? Perhaps a comparison of a belt drive and a direct drive? I have a linear tracking direct drive turntable from the 80's and I don't hear anything like that.

Find a good store. By good I mean
>decent turnover of stock
>good mix of new releases and used bins
>not overly jewish about used bin records

I always use Yes albums as the standard when I try a new store. Every record store has Yes albums, and a used beater copy of CTTE or Fragile shouldn't be more than $5-7. Yet behold some shops will ask $15.

I have had barely any luck with thrift stores but you do never know.

>not direct drive
Enjoy your 33 1/3 actually being like 33 1/2

Thanks guys, I've been jumping stores, and I found a store with good deals, 5 bucks per lp, but I it has a really weak selection and their not in great quality. I'll be sure check good will, I didn't consider that before, thanks again

>What are you spinning?
Dinosaur Jr. - You're Living All Over Me. I'm still trying to track down a copy of Beyond, it's my favourite Dinosaur album.

>Recent cops?
Dio - Holy Diver
Bad Religion - No Control
Owen - At Home With Owen
T-Rex - Electric Warrior
Nick Cave - Skeleton Tree

>Whats your hardware?
Pro-Ject Carbon DC 2, Phonobox E, KRK Rokit 6 monitors.

>Rarest record?
None of it really.

recent cops

Been looking for that Future Days for months. Was a steal for $15

I've found good shit at Half Priced Books, some of the stuff is overpriced, but there are good deals there still.

Any Hi-Fi fans here? Been thinking about dropping some cash for an original '50s mono cartridge to properly play back my vintage LPs. Problem is most of them track anywhere from 4-8 grams! I want to experience true mono bliss but I don't want to destroy my discs at the same time.

I don't think we have any Half Priced Books on the east coast, but I'll take bookstores into consideration when looking for stores to get records from, thanks

Respighi's Church Windows. The Mercury Living Presence recording.

Also goddamn am I jealous. Your Grandpa had excellent taste.

$400? What are you smoking mate?
Bought a brand new LP-120 for $180 last year at Fry's

Maplenigger dollars

Just push the "mono" button on your receiver

I clean my (dirty) records with 20% isopropanol in 80% distilled water, and add a few drops of a surfactant (fairy/dawn dishwashing liquid) as well. after cleaning with that I rinse with distilled water and then stand to dry for a day or so.

I only really clean a record once, if its a particularly dirty thrift-store or second-hand pickup.

>What are you spinning?
Henry Mancini - Music from Gunn Number One

>Recent cops?
Came across a Hammond organ demonstration record. Have to keep my buys small. I've literally run out of places to put new records.

Whats your hardware?
Technics SL-1200, pair of original Stanton 500 Gold cartridges (one wired in series for lateral mono)

>Rarest record?
Pic related. Still sealed in shrink wrap. Fetches about 2 bills. Bought it for a dollar at a library book sale.

I try to keep everything analogue up to the point where I digitize for archival.

>What are you spinning?
Nothing atm since it's 4 in the morning and I live in an apartment with thin walls.

>Recent cops?
I Hate Models - State of Control
I Hate Models / Vittorio Di Mango – Nigredo Edition
Charlotte de Witte - Closer
Dax J - Protect the Prophecy
Biogen - Halogen Continues

>Whats your hardware?
LP120

>Rarest record?
Don't think any of them are that rare, but I'm very fond of my 'When I was fourteen' record since it's signed by Nina Kraviz.

Analog sounds better and "forces" you to listen to the song all the way to the end whereas with digital I sometimes find myself hurrying to listen to songs, sometimes skipping through

AT-LP60 for short term

Get to know how vinyl records work then spend big money on a proper turntable down the road.

>What are you spinning?
I was at my dad's house and stole my little brothers copy of Currents by Tame Impala (having only heard The Moment) and Rumors, which he got the last copy of one time at our local record spot. Currents seems good. My brother somehow put a big warp in the first LP though so the first three minutes of the first song on either side is toast--the needle jumps.
>Recent cops?
I've been unemployed for five weeks now but I'm going back to work tomorrow. In any case, I haven't been to the record store since like week 1 of unemployment, but I think that was when I picked up Secrets by Gil-Scott Heron (unbelievably great), Summertime Groove by Bohannon (growing on me like crazy) and a copy of A Tear to a Smile by Roy Ayers Ubiquity and I'm Still In Love With You by Al Green, and I haven't listened to either of those yet. I spotted a copy of Armed Forces by Elvis Costello for six bucks at a place near Detroit, but I just couldn't spend that money right now. Six bucks could be a pizza.
>Whats your hardware?
I have an AT LP-120 that I love to death. I also have some of the bamboo AudioEngine A5+s. Cannot say enough nice things about this hardware.
>Rarest record?
I've never considered this and I never look this stuff up--I just don't care about it. I know that my copy of Magical Mystery Tour is semi-rare. But it's like $40 dollars rare, not anything crazy.
There is no debate. Not going to waste my breath on blowhards.

Summing left and right information is in no way the same as true lateral-only reproduction. You'll still have distortion and rumble introduced with every tiny bit of vertical modulation that the cartridge picks up.

I'm thinking my only other option than a vintage mono cart is to shell out for a Denon DL-102. Vertically compliant but only responds electronically to lateral motion. Just don't feel like spending that much for a cartridge that will be used solely on rather beat-up hi-fi and transcription discs.

It's $350 at urban outfitters

:^)

I'm always curious to hear about Goodwill, but in my experience, I have found next-to-nothing at Goodwill, and my wife drags me out to them a few times a week. I've found a couple of dumb curiosities but the only record I've ever picked up that was actually worth a damn was Peter Brown's Fantasy Love Affair.

I live in Mid-Michigan, and I see the same five things at Goodwill everytime:
>Ray Charles Singers
>Perry Como
>Al "Honey in the Horn" Hirt
>Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass

and a huge fucking mess of, curiously, locally-produced gospel records, which I pick up sometimes. Gospel albums always have the worse covers, but that actually led me to discovering The Happy Goodman Family, so cop those, actually. I have a copy of Better Hurry Up and It's A Wonderful Feeling and I love both of those records to do non-ironically.

Goodwill is often not bad. Try Salvation Army, too if you have one. Any thrift store, really will have some number of records to dig through. Be prepared for a LOT of shit, though, and the good discs you do find will often be roached.

enjoy not spinning vinyl and juggling beats while your rubberband stretches out

Fegs prolly aint even got diamond Ortofon conical stylii

Spinning
Ne obliviscaris - Urn (not technecally spinning but I did just purchase it on vinyl)

Recent

BTMI - To live and die in LA pic disc $72 as well as a couple other bomb records

Hardware
AT LP-120
Sherwood RX 45-08
JBL studio monitors

Some rarities I have are as follows

BTMI - To live and die in LA picture disk 100 copies

Rishloo - Feathergun 500

BTMI - Vacation Green/opaque split 350

Ne obliviscaris - Urn 100

Primus and the chocolate factory mispress 1,200

Jeff Rosenstock- I look like shit signed 2nd press don't know haw many copies there are

My most valuable is Feathergun. The last time it sold on discogs was for $200

bump