Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jrZH9FDhfRs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I know right? It's fucking perfect.

Best VU solo album

you just found this out!?

Yes

Best VU album full stop

Why doesn't Sup Forums appreciate Cale's solo career?

I had the same reaction the first time I listened to it. The most experimental member of the Velvet Underground put out one of the most beautiful pop albums I've ever heard.

Very new to VU but plan to dig into S/T and WL/WH more. Quick run down of essential solo career material? Hadn't really even considered it but am interested

Transformer, Coney Island Baby, Paris 1919, Fear, Songs for Drella is a good start

many thanks, kind user

>One day on the tour, we were driving back to London and I said to the tour manager, 'I want to get a live chicken.' We had bought a meat cleaver in Germany and it gave me an idea. I told him to stop at a farmhouse and buy a chicken, but put in a box so that nobody else in the band would know. However, he came out of the farmhouse holding the squawking chicken by its legs. All the way back to the Portobello Hotel everybody in the band was asking, 'What's he gonna do with the fucking chicken? You're not going to hurt it, right?'
>The gig was at Croydon. I had the chicken killed backstage and put on a wooden platter with a handle. I told the roadie: 'When I get into the second verse of Heartbreak Hotel, slide it out to me on the platter.' I already had the meat cleaver stashed on stage. The guys in front were slam-dancing, bopping and swaying. All those punks with their leather and chains, pushing everybody because they had taken too much speed. So I thought, try a little voodoo! I am singing, 'We could be so lonely,' swinging the chicken around by its feet, nobody in the audience knowing it was dead, 'we could be so –' Twhok! I decapitated it and threw the body into the slam dancers at the front of the stage, and I threw the head past them. It landed in somebody's Pimm's. Everyone looked totally disgusted. The bass player was about to vomit and all the musicians moved away from me. Even the slam dancers stopped in mid-slam. It was the most effective show-stopper I ever came up with.
Cale was an absolute madman

What the fuck?

The simplest explanation is that John took an awful lot of drugs in the late 70s and early 80s
youtube.com/watch?v=jrZH9FDhfRs

Punks are annoying when you spent years being hothoused in a conservatory to learn how to be minimal.

you're a ghost la la la la

pshh he went to fucking goldsmiths

Better than anything the VU did desu

It's actually just so perfect isn't it? And it's so shirt too, so you can just put it on whenever, whatever mood you're in. Every track is great and flows so perfectly. You can tell that it was made by someone who knows so much about the craft of music.

Music for a new society, fear, wrong way up and hobosapians are also fantastic

OP, funny you should post this because I used to adore this album. But compeltely forgot about it until recently. I put it on and it was even better than I remember.

Fucking drumming in graham greene and the little pencil sound effects they put in always makes me smile.

I also can't help but sing along whenever I hear Paris 1919.

Being a sheepshagger also I am very sad that not a lot of people really know John Cale here and how great he is.