Trent Reznor was in South Florida around this time and we all went out on night...

>Trent Reznor was in South Florida around this time and we all went out on night. Trent and I struck up a conversation and Jeordie became so enraged he demanded we leave immediately. He began driving my car erratically on the highway, all the while punching me the chest several times,knocking the air out of my lungs. He proceeded to rip off the rear view mirror and threw it out the open window. Throughout the madness, this was a rather poignant moment. He just couldn’t bear to face himself in that mirror. So he proceeded to destroy it.

I've never rolled my eyes harder in my life.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0kUEf0eDmwE
youtube.com/watch?v=_1qfIPXjGn4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

1:00am: I've gathered my supplies and I'm going to sit this one straight through. Trent's going to keep me up for at least another two hours with his latest bloated indulgence, The Fragile. So I've got a pot of coffee. It's black. Pitch black. As black as your fucking soul! And I'm typing on this machine. This machine is grinding me down. I feel like a fucking machine! Grrrarrrgh!

9:00pm: My first experience with The Fragile, as is the case with most new CDs, comes in my Honda. I'm sitting at a red light on Webster and Damen, waiting for a left turn. Trent Reznor is screaming, "Tear a hole exquisite red/ Fuck the rest and stab it dead" over a troop of industrial guitars and digital whining. I yawn with such stretching intensity that I miss my turn light. The entire situation strikes me as particularly humorous. Here I am-- a 24- year- old white guy with floppy bangs, wearing a tie, driving a Honda-- and all the bile Trent Reznor can must muster up from his supposedly scorched soul makes me yawn.

Sometime over the last decade, music that is intrinsically meant to be menacing (i.e. Nine Inch Nails) has become a banal syndicated- action hour soundtrack. It's easy to imagine the overproduced grind of "The Wretched" blaring through a TV screen as Nightman kicks a henchman off a roof. This stuff could be the score to "The Crow 4: In Space." And this time around, Trent has unanimously failed to shock anyone above the age of 15 and under the age of 54. I mean, have you listened to old Judas Priest lately? Now, this is not to say music must be confrontational, although the best of it typically is. However, in a pop society that has become numb to industrial sounds through ESPN2 and Surge commercials, it's no longer interesting or tolerable to base one's entire output on volume and amplified cliches.

I WANNA FUCK YOU LIKE AN ANIMAL

And so "Somewhat Damaged" continues to pound out its same four notes. Systematically, layers of crust, fuzz, dirt, and whatever else Reznor can scrape off the walls in his studio are piled on top, pounding out the same four- note scale. 1-2-3-4. 1-2-3-4. 1-2-3-4. Ooh, wow, did he just say "fuck?" Trent, Holden Caulfield rubbed that out 50 years ago.

8:00pm: "Hello?" asks Ryan.

"Okay, I'm going to read you something," I say.

"Oh, hey dude. Um, sure."

"'She shines/ In a world full of ugliness/ She matters/ When everything is meaningless.'"

"Oh, man."

"'Sometimes I have everything/ Yet I wish I felt something.'"

"Are these lyrics?"

"'Underneath it all/ We feel so small/ The Heavens fall / But still we crawl.'"

"Haha. What is this?"

"Pleading and/ Needing and/ Bleeding and/ Breeding and/ Feeding/ Exceeding."

"Rhyme-y."

"Now everything is clear/ I can erase the fear/ I can disapper."

"Man, what is this. Is this some emo album?"

"I am every fucking thing and just a little more/ And when I suck you off not a drop will go to waste/ It's really not so bad, you know, once you get past the taste, yeah/ Starfuckers."

"No. Oh, no. No. It's Nine Inch Nails!"

1:49am: "Even Deeper," a track mixed by Dr. Dre, spits aluminum riffs into my headphones. The entire concept of pairing of Dr. Dre and Nine Inch Nails, a match maid in Kornboy heaven (or most likely the Interscope commissary) is laughable. Shuffling beats squirt under "Blade Runner" booms and fathoms of string samples. The end product sounds entirely similar to the rest of this 104- minute albatross. The token celebrity stroking of this studio marriage is fittingly overwrought, unnecessary and done with questionable intent. From the sound of it, Trent cares little to broaden his palate from this rap/ rock union. Without the liner notes, one would never pick this song as "the Dr. Dre track."

Ironically, a man hailed by his legion of testoster- drones as "genius" often leans heavily on the work of other, better sound wizards. Adrian Belew, Steve Albini, and Alan Moulder conspicuously leave their fingerprints all over The Fragile. In other words, whenever something sounds cool, it's most likely coming from one of these other men, who have worked on such mind- blowing classics like Talking Heads' Remain in Light, Slint's Spiderland, and My Bloody Valentine's Loveless, respectively. The constipated drone of "The Day the World Went Away" unabashedly attempts to mimic My Bloody Valentine's sculpted cacophony. Unfortunately, from the hands of an unsubtle goth, the result is strained fuzz.

2:00am: Trent Reznor is the worst, most predictable, most uninspired lyricist working today. The freshman gloom spouted throughout The Fragile are only making it easier for the Goth Lyric Generators on the web. Copy the word decay from this sentence. Paste it into a Word document. Highlight it. Press Shift-F7. Every synonym that appears on your thesaurus screen pops up in Trent Renzor's pitiful poetry. Coming from the mouth of a steadily plumping, thirtysomething recluse (who, incidentally, is bearing striking resemblance to Phil Hartman's SNL Frankenstein character these days), it's just sad. Does he collect candelabras and "Spawn" comics? I guarantee it. In the five years it's taken to complete The Fragile, Trent seemingly watched Dark City at least 40 times. It's insulting to hear Trent and his PR firm talk up the "radical departure" and pop flourishes on this record because the record sounds 100% similar to Broken and The Downward Spiral. Or more accurately, it's like combining Broken and The Downward Spiral. Clever.

2:45am: The gentle piano plunking of "La Mer" lulls me to sleep momentarily on its second time around. It's not the gentle ambience of it, though, since this loud sludge could knock out a speed addict. The Fragile is the most taxing record I've ever had to work through in my five years of reviewing CDs. I mean, even the Beatles failed to make a double album without throwing in some filler. Why does Trent Reznor thinking he can succeed? I'm actually glad Billy Corgan used up The Infinite Sadness. Reznor would jump all over a title like that.

It's difficult to decide where to even begin trimming The Fragile. It's so stunningly monotonous. Any bit of it could be lost without notice. I mean, when the instrumental interludes carry an album, it's a blaring neon sign flashing "stay away!" I pity the kids of the style- over- substance generation-- and yes, it will only be kids-- who enjoy this album. Kids, high school isn't as bad as it seems. You'll grow out of this phase. Save yourself, or your parents, the 25 bucks. The Fragile's length begins to make sense in this context. 104 minutes is the perfect duration for those post- dinner, pre- "X-Files" periods of "nobody understands me" bedroom isolation sit-ins.

>Trent Reznor
Who?

3:00am: Before getting back into The Fragile, I peruse the liner notes and artwork. David Carson of "Raygun" fame laid out the artwork for The Fragile. And what a fitting look! Carson, whose design work broke new ground for typography, lost touch years ago. The originator of the 1990s' trademark "crusty look" is analogous to the fat- bottomed disco fonts of the '70s or the thin sans- serif of deco. But guess what? It's almost 2000 and the world needs a new look and a new sound. Carson and Reznor will forever be remembered as 1990s pop figures that helped create an identifiable logo for the decade, and little else. Trent, you are Flock of Seagulls. The Fragile embodies everything wrong with this decade-- hype, letdown, technological fetishism, empty rage, financial bloat, bombast, self- loathing, and indifference to anything truly important and interesting flowing underneath the surface. Trent Reznor is Chris Gaines.

3:20am: "Starfuckers, Inc." That's pretty much all I have to say in criticism of this album. That sums it right up. Do you or don't you want to own an album with a song called "Starfuckers, Inc?" Besides the snickering potty- mouthed title, it's one of the most blatantly hypocritical attacks ever put to tape. It's a widely- publicized attack on Marilyn Manson. There are several lyrical references to the gangly idiot such as "I'm one of the beautiful ones" and "My god pouts on the cover of a magazine." And how are these jabs delivered? Why, in a song which sounds exactly like Marilyn Manson (and also borrows from Carly Simon), by a man who pouts on the cover of Rolling Stone, Alternative Press, Spin, etc.

In essence, Reznor is Marilyn Manson without the makeup (which is a bit like Kiss without the makeup). The Fragile is simply Music for 'The Elder for the digital age. I take comfort knowing that the passing of another decade will make this record seem as amusingly insincere as 10CC.

Pitchfork is so painfully pretentious.

What is this from?

The rape allegations made against him by an old girlfriend

like 25 years ago

let it rest

Am I on Sup Forums?

rape kino

If this song is an attack on Manson why did they sing it together in concerts?

Manson fired Twiggy over this, though, so the accusation is probably legit. (Though I'd be very surprised if Manson himself hasnt raped or hurt someone)

But I'm bummed out over learning that Daisy Berkowitz died recently. RIP in peace

Manson was also in the music video. This "journalist" is just a clueless hipster faggot.

>Here I am-- a 24- year- old white guy with floppy bangs, wearing a tie, driving a Honda-- and all the bile Trent Reznor can must muster up from his supposedly scorched soul makes me yawn.
Lol so quirky!

where is the details of the rape

some 40 year old faggot who never grew out of his teen emo phase

facebook

/MissJessickaAddams/posts/10155413298828005

just add dot com

i don't go to face book

We gave rockstars the right to commit many crimes years ago.
This is not the time to backtrack because you’re overly sensitive 25 years later.

manson likes 'em young

why not
it's all there, from the horse's mouth.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

i cant see

>shares picture of her rapist in nostalgic social media post
weird

Does this look emo to you? More like a successful man who has recovered from all the shit life threw at him. He's a talented musician and composed scores with kinos in collaborations with David Fincher. Not to mention he's responsible for Johnny Cash's magnum opus. He has definitely evolved and grown as a person.

>Hurt
>Johnny Cash's magnum opus

No homo, but I'd kind of like to see Trent and Henry Rollins violently hatefuck each other.

WE CALLED IT "LE PIG" MMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

Who’s that? Evan Rachel Wood?

protip: stay away from people who are into this music

Name a better song. Cash is great but his best song wasn't even written by him.

youtube.com/watch?v=0kUEf0eDmwE

relax and enjoy the pain.

>I hung out with male friends.
whoooore

Matador is better and it isn't even top 20 Cash.

there are much better songs on that very album youtube.com/watch?v=_1qfIPXjGn4

underrated post of the millenium

i wish i'd not had to learn this advice the hard way

He looks like Abatap

Interestingly, this review was from 1999.

how is that interesting?

Because had I not looked that up in the first place, I would've thought this was recently made.

Your ignorance is neither interesting nor surprising.

It's not my ignorance of the fact, it's that even then "emo" was a thing, and industrial was seen as played out. Tidbits of that era I wasn't aware of.

>didn't know emo was a thing
>in 1999
You are quite ignorant of music trends and what exactly was going on at that time in general. You are also quite alone in the notion that the reviewer was an authority on anything.

Objectively Trent's lyrics has always been the weakest aspect of Nine Inch Nails.

>listening to music for the lyrics

Can you imagine how much groupie pussy Tront got in the 90s

fat girls tho

that's Weezer.

but those are asian girls

fat Asian girls.

>You are quite ignorant of music trends and what exactly was going on at that time in general

I'm not. I know about emo as a music genre in the 90s; what I wasn't aware of was that people would describe something as "emo" then. I thought that was an early-mid 2000s thing due to the subculture that came after.

>You are also quite alone in the notion that the reviewer was an authority on anything.

An authority on what? He's an example of that era.

Jeordie to main bridge

>what I wasn't aware of was that people would describe something as "emo" then.
Ignorant. Thank you for admitting it.

>Ignorant. Thank you for admitting it.

Only because I was a child then so I obviously would never have known that.

>He forced me on to the floor with his hand around my neck. I said NO. I said NO. I said it so loud enough, that Pete came rushing in from the other room to get him off of me. But I had been raped.
What?

Great, now Sup Forums shitters are going to ruin this thread. Sup Forums is more comfy and knows more about music than you pretentious faggots

That user couldn't project more if their little neet life depended on it.
Probably was thinking of Manson if anyone. Trent and Manson grew apart because of a difference in maturity. Though Manson finally came around, too.

i'd be mad too if i outaged a man twenty years senior

The absolute state of these fanboys..

leave The Fraggle alone

Cash is a great songwriter but he's kind of trash compared to his contemporaries in the country world.

mercy seat

Oh I see, Trent Reznor the composer of Hurt, a country music artist. Thanks for the info.

r u blind?

he responded to the accusations and didn’t deny it

because manson found it funny. manson acknowledged that it was about him in a recent interview

the nick cave song?

Manson spent the duration of Reznor's isolation working on The Fragile, badmouthing Reznor at every opportunity, Starfuckers was the warning shot. Manson settled back down and tried to take it all back, saying Reznor and him should be teamed up against the surge of nu metal and boy bands.

Didn't he also later produce a Linkin Park Remix as well as collaberating with Korn on the track Redeemer?
Kinda makes him a hack

underrated comment

Yup. and featured on a bunch of rap songs.

#I'mwithTwiggy

>Oh I see, Trent Reznor the composer of Hurt, a country music artist. Thanks for the info.
Not what I meant, but you made my day. lol

Look, they were in a relationship together that did not turn out well. Maybe she's jealous and bitter about not becoming a star herself and is lashing out at him, maybe there is truth in her statement, we don't know because this is something that happened between two people decades ago.

If you don't want your ex-girlfriends to talk shit about you, support them and be good to them. He was likely an asshole to her, especially since he was young and fucked up on all sorts of drugs and was openly trashy at the time they were together.

that's a fair statement. i just want him to be innocent because once i was 14 years old and twiggy was my favorite one. objectively speaking, i don't doubt some horrid shit went down.

I recall the drummer said Twiggy was a major alcoholic in the mid-late 90's

I don't even mind if Twiggy's trashy, she doesn't like him, but rape/abuse isn't something to pull on an ex boyfriend just because you had a dysfunctional relationship. If he did it then she better be serious about this.

this user is right. ring of fire was written by june carter, not johnny.

you nerds need to understand how music works. manson didn't fire him, he was pressured either by management or his label to part ways with him, at least temporarily. probably an agreement between all parties, twiggy included. twiggy even said it was a "leave of absence".

rape acussations are a hot topic and a quick way to get famous so once no one remembers this bullshit he'll back in manson, probably the next record.

jessicka has been posting links to her web store and talking about her old band's reunion on posts about her alleged rape, so it should be pretty obvious she's lying or exaggerating something that happened over 20 years ago to get attention.

she's friends will all these los angeles people who are actually doing something with their lives and she's been talking about making a new scarling. album for 6 years. she's done, she's a has been and she's desperate.

and not the only time she posted a tbt featuring him. she couldn't be more obvious.

>she's done, she's a has been and she's desperate.
It's fucking hilarious, because she actually did make some decent music with Scarling, even if it was all her husband's guitar work.

t. trent reznor

>Cash is a great songwriter but he's kind of trash compared to his contemporaries in the country world.

how do opinions like this even exist? Im actually interested as to who you think is a better songwriter than cash in the "country world"

Because Cash is fucking entry level, he's country for people that that aren't seriously into country. He's no Kristofferson or Townes or Guy Clark, guys who spent a lot of time over a kitchen table at night with their lyrics.

he's a fucking loser

His net worth is around 70 mil. on some level, he won.

Brent complains about Trent being edgy but Brent was an edgy useless cocksheath never taking his reviews seriously. Low effort horse shit. P4K has changed their opinions because of cultural impact. Critics are often the ignorant and arrogant sort. C'Est la Vie.

golden, can't make this shit up.

"trent reznor is a loser " - anonymous Sup Forums user

Nice Oscar you have there.

>I've never rolled my eyes harder in my life.
agreed. I'm not even sure what it's saying or why we started the conversation in the first place? he must need air time or maybe Griffs is a fan? I dunno, but either way Reznor makes female dance music for goth cows.

>The constipated drone of "The Day the World Went Away" unabashedly attempts to mimic My Bloody Valentine's sculpted cacophony. Unfortunately, from the hands of an unsubtle goth, the result is strained fuzz.
oh wow, you can really hear it

yeah like that means anything,Justin fucking Bieber is rich too, who gives a fuck

Jennifer Lawrence has one, so does that stupid cunt Halle Berry, again stupid criteria

he is, unless you're 14 years old