That's a funny way to spell R+7

That's a funny way to spell R+7

Other urls found in this thread:

pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/10011-the-50-best-idm-albums-of-all-time/
m.imgur.com/gallery/2TraE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

R+7 is good, but how is it important at all?

thats a funny way to spell Kid A

What do you expect from britbongs?

>critic describes an album as important

OPN sucks

>R+7

I really like that album but it's not important at all in the grand scheme of things. Untrue has had an immense, colossal impact on how people view and evaluate electronically produced music.

Can someone just tell me why it's important? I don't want to read the actual article.

His usage of sampled vocals was groundbreaking

it's the same writing over and over again
>muh rave culture
>muh soundsystem
>muh ardcore continuum

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

how?

atmosphere. mood.

this is like saying nolan is the greatest film-maker.

buzzfeed was a mistake.

HAHAHAHAA
AHYAHDHDSAHDSAHAA'
HAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
OWWW FUCK THANKS FOR THE LAUGHS HAHAHAHSHHDSSHHDSS

Simon Reynolds is such a fucking hack

most important of the 00s maybe, sure

most important of the 10s would probably be classical curves which kickstarted the current trend of overproduced 80s revivalism

opn is waaayyyyyyyy overrated. his fanboys are more annoying than aphex twin fans

>the absolute state of music "journalism"

he's great

read energy flash

r+7 is so much worse than untrue bro

I hate this "telling the reader what to think" style of journalism today.

I looked this guy up, he only has 5 reviews for P4K, 2 are compilations so they're dismissed. The 3 others are The Queen Is Dead (10), Metal Box (10) and Different Class (9.3). Agreeable scores (Pulp deserved higher though) but he's hardly pushing himself with difficult assignments.

>a new song by x: LISTEN
No, fuck you pitchfork. I won't.

(Bold assertion) AND HERE'S WHY YOU NEED TO THINK THAT

He isn't doing that though, he's putting forward a reasoned opinion
If you're too much of a fuckwit that you confuse an opinion with an undisputable solid fact then that is a problem in your own mind that you should go and sort out

idk about an album because electronic music mostly differs from that but Autechre is the most important electronic group/artist right now

The Queen is Dead is not a 10.

fuck off Simon. Energy Flash is his worst book, dude kept lauding garbage like Madchester and Rave while shitting on Detroit and IDM.

>shitting on IDM
that's a bad thing now?

I never understood the appeal of Burial. When I ask about it everyone just says that "you have to live in England" to appreciate it to the fullest

>ignoring the rest

t. p4k writer in question

explain this then
pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/10011-the-50-best-idm-albums-of-all-time/

>"you have to live in England" to appreciate it to the fullest
Bullshit.

whats its appeal then? when I listen to it I feel absolutely nothing.

detroit and eastern europe work too

Have you even read Energy Flash?

Then it's just too deep for you, sorry.

>too deep

I really doubt it

I mean, you obviously don't get it, so...?

R+7 is way better and way more complex than Untrue.

>Dragonforce is way better and more complex than Can.

That's a funny way of spelling Selected Ambient Works 85-92.

>le crackly vinyl noise
>le spooky vocal sample

big wow

post another rec b4 it that used both of those
i'll wait

So this dude is some nobody p4k writer millenial. K.

>important
>electronic
fucking dropped

so basically, shitholes?

Goddamn right.

>century
>not literally anything by Aphex Twin

simon reynolds confirmed soyboy bugman

yeah I can't wait for Selected Ambient Works 2085-2092, it will surely be the best of this century

babbys first electronic is nothing special

There are a lot of shitposts in here.

The objective answer is Graduation.

>ITT: clueless faggots don't know who Simon Reynolds is

kek

You should have seen Sup Forums's reaction to his best IDM albums list (). To say the least, it was similar.

Pards lol.

no even though? r+7 is so cheesy too quite honestly. not to say it is bad, but by no means is it untrue

pick any 90's triphop album

There are poeple in this thread who unironically believe that R+7 is in someway significant. Sup Forums is completely clueless

Someone requested Confield?

>takes enough ecstacy to believe hardcore is good
>writes the United States out of the history of dance music to feed his nationalist narrative
>"invents" post-rock
So this is the power of British music journalism... wow...

Honesty living in a city is enough to get it

My nibba

elseq is better

I thought it was pretty bland and uninteresting myself..

>all these tripfags
>non-racebaiting p4k piece
did I wake up in 2009

it's also 4 hours

In Colour > Burial

>never listened to untrue before, going through for first time now.
>living in ratty Detroit apartment
>results from an exam required for my career arrived earlier
>failed by 4%, can't re-take for a year
>reading this: m.imgur.com/gallery/2TraE

definitely not best of the century, I should be moodier

That's a funny way to spell Nozinja Lodge

I love you archangel

better album right here.

Damn, I was expecting to get triggered hard like I do every time I read a Shitfork article, but this is actually very well written and well researched. First part uses the roots of the name of Burial to pinpoint the roots of his style of music, specifically Jamaican dub and UK post-punk. Second part gives context of what happened in UK from a social, political, and even rave perspective. Then the third part actually goes into the music itself, and this is where it becomes most obvious 90% of you guys didn't actually read since Reynolds points out that the exact techniques used by Burial aren't original, name dropping artists that probably did influence Burial stylistically. It's funny as hell that the dude had gone for a more traditional heavier dubstep sound but threw all that away because his mom didn't like it.

In terms of Burial's importance/influence, it approaches it more from the perspective of atmosphere and general feel of the music than anything strictly technical. It references everything from club music to RnB to cloud rap to w/e that Andy Stott type techno is and some more in terms of stuff Untrue has influenced.

Personally, I am kinda split on this because I also think that 90s trip hop, Radiohead's Kid A, and Kanye/Cudi's 2008 stuff has also played a very large (perhaps larger) part in terms of making more emotional atmospheric beat oriented electronic music. Kid A even has it's own approach to "things aren't really that nice as fine as they appear to be" thing the author credits Untrue for. That being said, I can also see why the author thinks Untrue's so influential because unlike the previous examples I mentioned, it's nowhere near as clinical, taking a rawer more lofi/minimal approach that I guess, sorta like a genre like post-punk or black metal, be able to elicit something more emotional or atmospheric because it feels far more human.

third best 21st century Autechre album

and?

this

would put Tarot Sport and Luxury Problems up there too. I really like Untrue (and his S/T) a lot tho. Electronic music has been great s of late.

>people's example of better albums are literally records with obvious Burial influences on them

who said R7. I said the opposite. no 7. are you drinking kool-aid or something? I'm grey. 5.

*yawns externally*

>not yawning after having such a one dimensional music taste

ahem

This.
I know people think Aphex Twin is overrated, but SAW is a goddamn masterpiece.

Yeah, but 'of the century' implies not just influence, but superiority

It literally says most important. Not the best or most personally enjoyable for the listener. All three of those examples take examples of already existing styles and added Burial among other influences on top of it. I don't particularly find Chuck Berry's music that engaging personally, but I recognize it's importance.

1. garden of delete is better
2. garden of delete isn't even the most important electronic album of the century so far
3. your dumb

ew it's me when i was 17 gross

>Mayhem
>Darkthrone
>Absurd

This meme gets truer every day

I live in England and don't get the appeal of Burial

this lol

bump

2000 was the 20th century

I'll definitely acknowledge Burial's relevance, more specifically for the early - mid '00s period. But that's where I disagree with the article. I mean, most important electronic album of this century so far? The whole crux of the album is that it's lingering in the previous century, rather than discovering the approach that comes after one leaves said former century's shadow.

But that's why the writer, and other writers he mentions, liked the album- because these were Gen Xers very much hung up on old theories, old aesthetic frameworks, these dreams of some supposed 20th Century 'modernism' that didn't pan out. And how is that relevant to the present? How is getting all melancholy about the past embracing this century?

Also, Burial didn't invent this kind of use of samples, that turn-of-the-century 'faded media' thing (see Ariel Pink, William Basinski, Tim Hecker, various noise / drone / noise people etc), and many of the theoretical frameworks of that moment about 'the archive' etc, applied to Burial, were quickly surpassed in the subsequent years that very much took aesthetics to new places, which, as it happens, really marks when this century starts. Most of which had little to do with Burial.

I see Burial and that melancholic early 00s moment as a brief transitional moment, like when one decade shifts to the next and there's a kind of 'in-between' zeitgeist, like that shift from 1989 - 1991-ish, which was its own thing.

I just think this article and its subject really gets at the problem to that post-structuralist, 'late capitalism' critique - where you have these academic types complaining about 'the future' or lack of, but themselves INSISTING on asserting a dead theory and sensibility of their older generation and therefore unable to see the actual future. Everything about the article is based in the experiences of certain Gen Xers, and the theorists they read in college in the 70s and 80s. Fair enough, but the future has moved on without you.

Or, a good metaphor for Burials moment (early 00s) would be after a rave doing lots of ecstasy, there's a drop in serotonin levels, and sure you're fucking depressed for a bit. Which is why I acknowledge Burial's relevance, and even for that time. He wasn't purely fixed in the 90s, mentally, but very much more accurately in the after effects of the comedown. Fine.

But at some point the serotonin levels increase again and you get on with your life and stop depressively whining about what 'isn't', and what 'was', and find fascination in what life gives you in the present. The alternative, if you don't do this, is morbid depression and basically suicide, if you can't face the future. Which as it happened was exactly what happened with that 'hauntology' writer mentioned in the article. The man insisted on negativity and clinging to dreams that were DEAD. Where the fuck does that get one? This is why I reject most academicism, it's very much antecedent and archival, it can't see the LIFE in things.

funny way to spell all 60-something of James Ferraro's pre-FSV lo-fi and hypnagogic pop albums

Replica is better than R+7

Pretty much. Or so many other underground people too. As far as this century, even hip-hop has been influenced peripherally by all that drone / noise / experimental stuff and the larger sensibilities developing since about 2007.

Or, I meant that that 'depleted serotonin', after-the-comedown moment (which the writer himself has liked to refer to at times), really applies to the early 00s in some ways, and so Burial was of course very relevant to THAT moment - early 00s through mid 00s. Perhaps definitively. But life goes on. Trying to shill the mood and any theories based on that time is tonedeaf and perhaps even willfully dishonest, since the writer is so invested in that shit.

hm