What's a good cheap sampler to use for playing live...

What's a good cheap sampler to use for playing live? I'd use laptop + ableton live set up but worried about laptop getting smashed or damaged (the music my group plays can get quite loud and violent)

I'd get an octatrack but it'd be a long time of sampling. What's a good, cheap alternative. The old Korg ESX-1 series seems cool. We play quite minimal music so we don't need anything super advance

Other urls found in this thread:

kingscountylighthouse.bandcamp.com/track/primadonna
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

roland sp404 is the goto hipster dickhead sampler

gimme 20 I'll break em all down

Youre an idiot.
For starters, you shouldve posted this question in the /prod/ thread.
Secondly, your question just reveals that you havent even bothered researching the two hardwares, theres no comparing the prices of each.
When you make a question like that, you should at least say what kind of music you want to be making.
If what you want is the sequencing ability - most of samplers have that.
The esx will have to be bought at least 2nd hand since they dont even make that kind anymore. The newer version is complete rubbish. The valves on that shit are also really outdated, and it does sound shitty. Youd have to replace those with better ones and still not get a satisfactory result. The workflow is complete shit too.
If i were you, id either get into a sp 404, 555, or even a mpc.
Elektron brand is overrated, and most of the musicians out there playing one are making super bland music.
Now that ive jerked my ego to the point of spoon feeding you in the right direction, id kindly request you to fuck off forever

Give you 20 what? Samplers?

Roland SP-808
Roland SP-404sx
Roland SP-555
Roland SP-606
Korg Electribe ESX-1
Akai MPC 1000
Yamaha SU700

Any other suggestions? Our price range £100 to £500

Still there, OP?

20 minutes.

Do you want to grid program? do you want control of the sample AFTER it triggers?

Yeah I posted this

I'm bothered about price over everything else

ESX-1 can turn out amazing stuff if you know how to step sequence. My Octatrack works wonders, and I sell drum kits I can whip up in an hour.

I can prove the ESX-1 is a powerhouse, and the octa? that speaks for itself. I routinely do live dub tech with a carefully programmed MD-UW, and it's not really my thing but I can show you how that's done, too.

Price is immaterial. we can get you shite with a proper sequencer at your price point. Choosing between step sequencing and unquantized finger drumming will drastically alter your output.

Sequencer sort of thing would probably be preferred, something one could just layer various samples up throughout a performance and then lower again, rather than having to constantly drum away at the pads. We'd mostly be using loops anyway other than the one off one shots. Like I said, very minimal stuff, drums, basslines and some effects/synth sounds and that'd be it. SP404 looks appealing at the minute due to being able to apply effects to said samples

To answer this guy's question, minimal synth, power electronics, minimal techno, industrial, that sort of thing

how do you plan to use the sampler live?

>manual triggering - hand or drum triggers
>loop sequencing - continuously loops, manual muting/progression of parts
>linear sequencing - entire song programed to play back

Manual triggering of loops

For me the goal was to have a multi hour show that blends, in tune and on time, between various genres. No DAW, No MIDI, Turntables, machines.

You're gonna find the 404 is powerful yet time consuming and cannot sequence for shit. If you resample a bunch of finger drumming into a quantized loop somehow, you could have a song that isn't jarring in its transition. You cannot mute parts like you can with an ESX-1 or an MPC or an Octa or whatever.

gotcha

so like you envision hitting a pad and a loop triggers, then hit a different pad to trigger another looping sample?

to this extent, I would pick up an ESX-1. Problem is, they've been getting shoddier and shoddier since 2003, when they were first released. The replacement membranes for those rubber button are unattainable. You can make em, or so I hear, but over the years there's been growing line noise and interference in the knobs themselves.

Yeah it seems a hard choice between the SP-404sx or a different synth like the ESX-1. Seems the 404 is better for long samples and effects and the ESX-1 is better for short samples and mangling as well as being a better sequencer. I'd rather take the latter to be honest

Yeah, like building up the different parts of a song at time then muting them and starting again for the next song, so on and so forth, if that makes sense. I know the Octatrack is most ideal for this but it's way out of our financial bracket at the moment, sadly.

Thanks for the help thus far by the way guys

I try to realize that every machine can be played like an instrument. You don't have to trigger loops and let them play. you can start the loop at different points, remix it on a KP3+ or an octa. You can drop out parts, turn knobs, create delay builds, really play the machine as unintended.

That's a shame. I'd still consider getting one though. They seem more what we have in mind than the SP-404 is capable of.

I'd go for an ESX or an MPC 100 USED with JJOS installed. I've seen the latter for 300 USD. I BELIEVE you can step sequence on an MPC, and the JJOS unlocks amazing features, it was actually written by a pissed off akai engineer.

This is an ESX-1: kingscountylighthouse.bandcamp.com/track/primadonna

All samples under 3 seconds.

They're better than a 404, and since MC909's are Hard AF to find these days...

Keep in mind you could sequence the 404 with an MC-505 groovebox, but that would exceed your budget, most likely. by 100.

Thanks for the advice, i'd look into the MPC. 3 second sample time is plenty, let's us play quite fast which we prefer. Could possibly get a SP 404x for long samples (like vocals from films etc) and ESX/MPC 100 for short ones, doing the bulk of the work

k, then the korg and octatrack style sequencing would be really good for that.

yeah, i know. but sometimes you can't dedicate that much time to one devices when playing live. Like if they only wanted to trigger a loop here and there, and swap it out ever so often I'd tell em to go the akai or roland route and put a different loop per pad.

your looping expressions would turn on and off via the 505. And you'd have every roland drum machine ever on board. You'd have seven or 8 parts to control externally.

Korg can hold up to 255 seconds in its memory. I keep sample times deliberately short in order to show off to other DJ's, truth be told. Also feels more like composing.

MPC 500 or 1000 ?

You can buy an electribe 2 sampler pretty cheap. Robin Hood, Karenn, Legowelt all use them live so don't listen to the haters.