THE DCEU

Will they ever catch a break?

Other urls found in this thread:

thewrap.com/jeff-sneider-fired-variety-75291/
nme.com/news/film/suicide-squad-film-script-was-written-in-six-week-877696
hollywoodreporter.com/news/time-warner-third-quarter-earnings-exceed-estimates-942575?utm_source=twitter
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Dceu, marvel, crinimpaemic universes. Fucking nerds.

I have friends who work there. The DC department is a complete mess. Geoff Johns and an army of script doctors are literally rewriting all the scripts they have so far to add more comedy and eliminate the darker aspects that WB had previously mandated for these movies.

Wonder Woman is already a tonal mess.

they were such fools not to build upon the nolan universe. Whether you loved it or hated it, it was an estbalished batman universe they could have started making more heroes and villains pop up. Trying to catch up to marvel in 3 movies is a such a damn mistake

>Whether you loved it or hated it
I hated it and it's totally obvious how better Ben Affleck is and how shitty Nolan and Bale were. Go on call me a contrarian. You Nolanbabies are moronic. Retard Nolan left them nothing to build off of. His Batman his Gotham is pure faggotry.

>proof WB has no idea how to proceed
It's the exact opposite. Geoff Johns loves The Flash more than his own children and is probably the one responsible for kicking him out. For better or worse, he's not letting anyone interfere with his own vision for the character.

>wether you loved or hated it

everyone loved it, even that baiting fgt above me, they made a huge mistake and it's like a trainwreck that won't stop now

Johns has no real power.

Certainly more now than he did before.

>Retard Nolan left them nothing to build off of.

Yea, they rebooted batman. They didn't want to have like an older batman showing up to fight superman in BvS. Batman has only been batman for about a year at the start of BvS, its a much fresher start. No one wanted to see a seasoned aged batman. Plus they'd have to recast joker, too soon for a new joker.

They made the right choice.....

>i have friends who work there.

i bet ur still in highschool.

>Batman has only been batman for about a year at the start of BvS, its a much fresher start.
Batman is already tired of being Batman and is basically pulled out of retirement by the events of the movie, what are you talking about?
>Plus they'd have to recast joker, too soon for a new joker.
yeah, good thing DC didn't release a movie with a new Joker 3 months later or anything

i totally trust this guy
thewrap.com/jeff-sneider-fired-variety-75291/

>Batman is already tired of being Batman and is basically pulled out of retirement by the events of the movie, what are you talking about?
>Retard Nolan left them nothing to build off of

OH seems like there was plenty to build off of then.....

>HAHAHA THEY'RE FINISHED

>reasonable reply

>NO SHUT UP, YOU'RE WRONG, I BET YOU SUCK DC'S COCK

What a fucking delusionally hilarious retard.

Not him, but most people who live in Los Angeles have at least one friend who works in the industry in some capacity.
I've got friends on two network shows, and another who works on almost everything Sony shoots in LA.

My job isn't remotely related to the entertainment industry.

I remember reading that they refused to let him shoot bvs his way and added wonderwoman and set up for the justice league. he wanted to simply build on lex, clark and bruce. the wb wanted stroink wymen all throughout so lois had more to do, as did wonderwoman. if their acts felt shoe horned well now you know.

Maybe their new AT&T overlords will finally fire Snyder.

K. She's the least of the movie's problem and that doesn't make the movie itself better.

It took almost 2 years for Comcast (and GE) to announce and acquire NBCUniversal. Snyder will be long gone by the time AT&T gets FCC and DOJ approval.

This. I have two friends who work in the animation department of WB(as in cartoons, not CGI) and they hear about all the shit going on with the DCEU. They're not even in the same building as the people working on those movies buy they hear about it on a daily basis.

Producers overlap, talent overlaps, etc so people hear a lot of cross talk. Happens on every shoot imaginable.

They clearly need to slam on the brakes and get everything sorted out before proceeding. I'm not a fan of the producer-driven assembly line aesthetic of the Marvel films, but what they do seem to have is a coherent system. I used to get irritated when people said that WB wasn't "taking their time," as if to suggest we need a superman movie, a batman movie, a flash movie before a Justice League movie, and I still don't think that's the best way to do it, but it's become evident that they are moving way way too fast just in terms of the fucking schedule. Suicide Squad was written in two weeks and the finished product reflects that. I wish they would just scrap what they're doing, focus on the Batfleck movie. If anything needs to be done right it's Batman. Honestly, I'm astounded that they did not start this whole affair by making it the Batman Cinematic Universe and then working their way out. People will get behind Batman (if it's halfway decent), and Batman's villains have a stronger brand identity than most other comic book HEROES.

They used to work at Netflix and they never heard about BTS problems with House of Cards and shit. WB is in panic mode over the DCEU.

>I still don't think that's the best way to do it,
Why not?

>Suicide Squad was written in two weeks and the finished product reflects that.
Really? That's inexcusable.

>Honestly, I'm astounded that they did not start this whole affair by making it the Batman Cinematic Universe
Obvious, but true. That's somewhat what Marvel did for Iron Man, introducing SHIELD and Black Widow in that series.

Still rather a short time frame, but the script was written in a longer period than two weeks.

nme.com/news/film/suicide-squad-film-script-was-written-in-six-week-877696

>I still don't think that's the best way to do it
But it clearly is. Marvel is already running into the problem where they have to up the epic-ness of their solo flicks to keep them from feeling small time after the Avengers movies. Winter Soldier had to shake up the whole MCU, Civil War had to be Avengers 2.5, Guardians 2 has to be Infinity War 0.5, Thor:Ragnarok has to be Thor vs Hulk, and Doctor Strange is catching flack for being an origin movie at a time when the MCU is way beyond that.
DC jumped right into this problem head first without thinking of the consequences. How can the solo movies be as exciting as Justice League? Why wouldn't the heroes just call in everyone to fight their bad guys?

nolan bat movies are crap. the only good one was begins. Dark Knight is a horrible shit movie but it's viewed through "omg Heath died making this" lens so people overlook all the plotholes and sheer stupidity of it.

>Why not?

It's a fine way to lead into a team-up film, but I don't think the emphasis should necessarily be on a team as being the ultimate goal. It's problematic in that A) Marvel just did it and they did it well, and now anything WB tries will seem cheap by comparison, and B) the whole Super Hero origin formula has been done to death. Now that we're getting like six hundred of these movies a year, it's going to get even more repetitive and boring than it already is. Instead of doing origin origin origin team up, why not get creative with it? Batman v Superman had the potential to be interesting in that we had never really gotten a movie quite like it before, but the fast tracking and studio meddling and bad director got in in the way of it. Same with Suicide Squad. With a few structural tweaks, it could have been a really cool and different take on the team up genre (like a heist film or something), but instead they just took the Avengers team up/takedown formula and tried to cram it into a single movie.

That's what WB wants you to think. It's PR bullshit.

Why? Instead of lying about Johns being given more creative input, why not just give Johns more creative input? What do they stand to lose from that? It's not like they're safeguarding a winning formula by keeping things the same.

>I don't think the emphasis should necessarily be on a team as being the ultimate goal
The point is that, as long as you really can't properly flesh out the characters in a single film, you at least introduce them in previously released films.

>now anything WB tries will seem cheap by comparison,
They tried something different and the general consensus is that it didn't work.

> the whole Super Hero origin formula has been done to death.
That's hardly something WB escaped with MoS.

>but instead they just took the Avengers team up/takedown formula and tried to cram it into a single movie.
They tried to be original and the result leave much to be desired. Perhaps delivering on these movies' potentials is difficult than it seems in theory, and WB is following an example clearly established by Marvel because it will probably be more successful.

I dont believe anything you're saying my guy.

Ok bro is one of them pic related

WB don't want to lose the control they have now.

Nah more like it's a meme to gossip over the DCEU in LA. Like that smelly kid in high school who everyone makes fun of behind her back.

I'm not BTW. I just have friends who are writers and work in animation.
Nope. They're named Chad and Aaron.

>panic mode
>ss was literally written in 6 weeks and made 750 million ww without china.

I dont think you truly understand how little they give a fuck about DC. They've now figured out they can hand in shit and still make a huge profit. Their probably cooler than a fucking monk on morphine right now. They can throw any trashcan film into the marketplace and put up huge numbers at the box office and sell a shit load of toys. If you think their in panic mode over quality/tone you're mistaken because at the end of the day theyre making a fuck ton of money and thats all anyone cares about in LA. Warner is literally sitting on a money making machine that has proven to require little effort and people will eat that shit up because it has capes in it.

I don't think you understand how movies work. Whatever they say the budget is, add 25% to that. And then take that realistic budget and double it to account for the advertising costs. Suicide Squad didn't make a "huge profit."

A movie with Batman, a new Joker played by an Oscar winner, and other Batman villains should have made a billion.

SS may have made a lot of money, but you can bet WB was counting on even more and they're still disappointed.

This is just delusion. I didn't like SS or BVS but Suicide Squad objectively made a lot of money, ESPECIALLY considering it wasn't played in China or about a half of the theaters in Mexico. The reality is that if the movie was good and could be played everywhere, it could have broke a billion or at LEAST have been more successful than BVS. They were only about $100 million away from each other in revenue.

Stay off the reddit comments for your financial info the kids there dont know what they're talking about.

hollywoodreporter.com/news/time-warner-third-quarter-earnings-exceed-estimates-942575?utm_source=twitter

>you really can't properly flesh out the characters in a single film
Sure you can. Stand alone ensemble films are incredibly common. You just need to go about doing it the right way.

>They tried something different and the general consensus is that it didn't work.

Just because a movie doesn't work does not mean it can't work and

>That's hardly something WB escaped with MoS.

this is a good example of that. Man of Steel is a pretty straightforward Superhero origin story in terms of it's structure, but it's also a pretty lousy movie. That obviously doesn't mean superhero origins don't work, we have countless examples that prove otherwise.

>They tried to be original and the result leave much to be desired.

See but that's the thing, they didn't really do anything all that original. On a structural level, Suicide Squad is extremely similar to Avengers. They both hit almost all the same beats

>Government attempts to weaponize a mystical artifact which they eventually lose control of, which then goes on to create a global threat
>Government assembles a team of people that is uniquely qualified to handle that threat
>At first the bicker among themselves, but eventually come to realize they need to work together as as a unit for the greater good of mankind
>They neutralize the threat before realizing that they will eventually need to work together again

And that particular formula works well when it is preceded by origin films a la Marvel, but that's not necessarily the formula they have to use.

With Suicide Squad, what they should have done was turn it into a heist movie where the Squad is forced to retrieve some sort of McGuffin for Waller, that Batman is also looking for. She would use Harley as a means of drawing out the Joker, and the Joker as a means of distracting Batman. Or something else, sky's the limit really.

Are you guys actually this clueless? The studios always lie about budgets and for big summer movies the ad budget is always at least equal to the production budget.

If they did that, that would mean their profits were less than they described, meaning they would be taxed even more. Aside from pacifying investors to which you should not be immediately accountable, there should be little benefit in understating the cost of movies.

Again, why though? Studio executives are not the the business of creating art, they are in the business of making money. The reason they get overly involved in the creative process is because they think their changes will positively impact a film's appeal, and after three DCEU films, it's clear that their formula isn't working as well as it should be. Why stay married to a lost cause?

This article is bullshit

>Theatrical revenue increased due to the box-office release of The Legend of Tarzan

Tarzan was a flop, it didn't even make twice its budget back, and the 1984 Tarzan not only was a hit financially but was also nominated for three Oscars. I don't see that happening with this new Tarzan.

or had it be a double heist movie, with the SS as the massive distraction, that ends up getting thier incredibly inept and dumb as shit hands on the real mcguffin and it goes off the rails striaght into the usual suspects what the fuck did i just see was that ra's al ghul? weirdness.

also a straight up ripoff of natural born killers from the point of view of harley and joker, with half of the movie being CCTV footage would have been neat.

or a found footage slasher movie with the batman as in the killer role, with footage found on the henchmens phones, blurry ass half working CCTV footage, and interviews with crippled and broken henchmen by the GCPD, with them going into severe panic attacks.

>If they did that, that would mean their profits were less than they described, meaning they would be taxed even more
That's not how it works. Entities aren't taxed based on what they state publicly, they're taxed based on what they file.

Possibly, but they would risk being audited if they claimed income from a movie that was much less than they publicly hinted at, would they not?

Affleck could work in the nolan universe too. The two solutions are not mutually exclusive.

Holy shit newfag, Sup Forums has always known about the double the budget meme but did you actually look at SS's gross? It's almost $750 million and the production budget was only $175 million. That's still a good profit. Have some self awareness, you come off as an idiot spouting things you only partially understand.

So? They can't be penalized for lying to the public about how much they spent to make a movie. They're not publicly traded.
>the production budget was only $175 million
You're fucking retarded. They spent an additional $50 million on reshoots, millions more to make a dozen cuts of the fucking thing, and still lied about the cost of production because they went over budget many times throughout production according to the director.
The actual production budget was probably closer to $300 million, which is basically the minimum to make one of these huge capeshit movies these days(Superman Returns spent that much 10 years ago). But they advertised SS even more than BvS so the ad budget was probably close to $500 million.

i see Faraci's been replaced and there's a new DC smear guy at it
i just hope Disney did a thorough background check on this guy first

It would have been smart to just recast and shift the universe. I mean, what do we lose from not rebooting nolans stuff? No ras al ghul, bane, two-face? Casting a new alfred and wayne would have been fine. I bet Bale would have done one more movie anyway. It seemed stupid to not even try to build upon the series.

>They can't be penalized for lying to the public about how much they spent to make a movie.
So only privately traded companies regularly underestimate the cost of their movies?

In WB's case they can lie too since they're only owned by a publicly traded company.

>anyone who hates these shitty movies is just a shill
I'm starting to get the impression that DCucks are probably mostly Trumptards.

Did you miss the "Suicide Squad is the Donald Trump of movies" thingie a while back?

I wonder how bad Justice League will be. I mean if you can fuck up the story of a capeshit movie featuring Batman and Superman you should stop doing what you are doing.

>taking the advice of someone who refutes an opinion with 'LOL. no. Youre wrong'
when will disneylets ever learn?

I suppose, but why would they do that if they aren't a publicly traded company?

To save face and maintain their brand. Public perception is hugely important to businesses.

Depends on your perspective, Nolan's Wayne wasn't too bright, at least not compared to most people's idea of "world's greatest detective" batman. Keeping Nolan's shit would've meant forfeiting a lot of his options in a continuity where he's gonna be the weakest dude on the team without his brains. Super Ninja doesn't mean a whole lot in the face of the kind of shit they're already head to head with.

Though BvS had batman specifically called out as a "master of deception", and like ten minutes later he gets caught sneaking around at the party like an idiot, so I don't really know what the fuck they think the character's supposed to be in that continuity.

Just make a Katana, Boomerang, Deadshot, Joker & Harley movie!

Those characters were fucking great in SS and I find them so much more entertaining and better than the Justice League which I don't care about.

Nolan's Batman was very bland in The Dark Knight but Bale was a legend in Batman Begins.

The Dark Knight Rises is one of the worst Batman movies ever (way worse than Batman V Superman. At least I can find some scenes to enjoy out of BvS) and we all know that Heath Ledger delivered one of the best cinematic experiences in the history of cinema as the Joker hence he was the saving grace of TDK and is why TDK is so memorable.

>twitter thread started by Marvel shills to badmouth the competition
Classic Sup Forums

That is possible, but everybody was surprised by how well Suicide Squad did, and it did gross quite a lot. I don't see why it's plausible to think that it didn't do well in spite of reviews. I would have to see evidence of this to believe they're lying about the cost of the movie.

>Geoff Johns loves The Flash more than his own children

This. He just did the whole Rebirth around the character (Wally though but still). Probably the nig was trying to do a propaganda piece and a shit movie and based Johns kicked him out

WB admits they spent at least $50 million on reshoots but leaves that off the final production budget, so they're absolutely lying.

Johns is literally responsible for Green Lantern.

Just fucking start again at put Bruce Timm at the helm Jesus Christ.

>Probably the nig was trying to do a propaganda piece
We already know this was the case. He wanted it to be "multicultural".

Oh and this thread was made by Disney shills. They dig up irrelevant tweets and whatever that fits their narrative no matter how unsubstantiated. Report and sage

Normal studios inflate budgets by hiring companies they own and charging themselves big bucks instead of financers though. I say normal studios because going overbudget like GotG is very rare, and clear proof those guys are pure retards

You didn't like the sewer fight with Bane in TDKR?

Face it: the Justice League is bland as bland.

I however don't care for Captain America at all nor Thor but Iron Man is okay. I do love Ant Man though so can't wait to see his sequel and I so wanna see Doctor Strange.

But when it comes to Marvel, I just want more Harley, Joker & Batman.

WB knows they sell yet for some reason they gave the fans a horrible theatrical cut of Suicide Squad...

And you didn't like the Batman V Superman fight?

Lots of people call BvS a bad movie but loved the casting of Affleck and his Batman fights. Just because a movie has some cool scenes doesn't make it good overall.

Marvel is shit too and Dr Strange was fucking awful. Neck yourself Marvel shiteater.

>But when it comes to Marvel
woops I mean DC.

Dude are you the same guy who didn't believe Suicide Squad had a 175M budget the other day? Because you got BTFO beyond the reach of our imaginations and today is going to be the same

But Marvel never lies when they omit spending half a billion on marketing?

Faggot.

It's the same deluded Marvel shill. He does these threads daily. I hope for his sake he's getting paid. What a tragic cocksucker.

>Neck yourself Marvel shiteater.
I am not a Marvel fanboy. I don't like Captain America, I won't be watching Captain Marvel, I don't like Disney's decision of Spiderman: Homecoming.

btw I loved Suicide Squad but thought BvS was "okay".

I just am not into the Justice League at the moment. I am more of a Deadshot, Harley, Joker fan after seeing SS because they were very entertaining.

Nah man, you be a bitch-ass shill, you gotta be representing Snydah kinyo, know what I mean?

Would that really had made the movie unprofitable?

They 750 millions USD out of a movie of Omega listers plus Harley Quinn (B lister), without China, against critics. Previously they made 883 millions USD out of a movie in which the most beloved and iconic superhero characters ever was the bad guy, against the critics again. They don't need to lie about budgets man, if anything is Marlel the one getting caught lying, firing directors while already on set and calling other directors to do reshoots on movies they haven't work on before

Face it, your shilling is weak, go start your smearing review of Wonder Woman

I mean WB wrecked Joker with their editing (thank God for them releasing an extended cut) and I believe Jared's Joker could be so much better if given the opportunity.

Also: WB I am sure knows that thousands of Joker/Harley fans exist on the internet so why the hell are they not making a Joker/Harley movie and instead are making movies that no one cares about (Cyborg).

I don't know if Strange is any fun or not, but Marvel's atheistic, extreme tech-focus was starting to make me fucking sick. It's a terrible feel for capeshit and robbed the whole MCU of anything "epic" feeling. Strange at least looks like it's interested in being fucked up and doing bizzare shit, but if it failed at that imma disappoint.

That was real distinction between BvS and what Marvel does. The last fight with Doomsday just screamed super at the top of it's lungs. The new DCU's undoubtedly going to do all kinds of shit to make people mad, but it at least looks like they're willing to give you "oh SHIT it's on" feels.

The reshoots on Doctor Strange really shouldn't have happened.

>atheistic, extreme tech-focus
But that's what Marvel always was, SCIENCE is what created their heroes. Radiation and experiments and shit.

>you gotta be representing Snydah kinyo
David Ayer is the supreme director. I want to see him direct more DC films and not Zack. Keep Zack as the visual arts cinematography but get David to direct more.

Dr Strange is as formulaic and predictable as Marvel movies get. It's probably the worst one released yet. As I sat there watching it, I realized the movie gave me nothing a morning cartoon doesn't.

>SCIENCE is what created their heroes.
>The Living Tribunal is literally mentioned in Doctor Strange

Aww shit nigga, you's out now! Go suck that Marvel dick elsewhere. You don't know about KINO.

Harley is one of the main reasons why SS did so well.

WB needs to move her standalone movie up.

The critics can bitch all they want about how she dresses bla bla but Margot Robbie's Harley definitely has a fan base.

Science is a different "thing" than Technology, themely-speaking. I'm good with science. F4 wasn't too bad, and it can make excellent capeshit.

I thought the movie looks like a Jodorowsky movie with all the LSD like sequences and themes... so will I enjoy it for that?

user. Look at old Marvel stuff.
>The FF are scientists
>Bruce Banner is a scientist
>Tony Stark is a scientist
>Peter Parker is a science student
>T'Challa has black super science
Science and technology is the rule, magic is the exception.

Marvel has always been tiered in the format

Meta > Magic > Science

It has some buildings bending but it's farly standard action choreography.

Obviously not.

They really should just reboot the whole damn thing. Its just such a wreck that even the few good things about the DCEU can't save it.