Was just wondering what you’re opinion lab grown meat is?

Was just wondering what you’re opinion lab grown meat is?

If it's cheaper, more nutritious, and tastier than cattle meat, then it's good in my books.

Has the potential to change the world

If it gets accepted as Halal it will start booming else it will only start slowly overtaking the marked.

is an build animal without eyes, very creepy

>grown meat
My wife grows meat
It's delicious!

Would make me feel less guilty about eating meat.

If it tastes good and it's good for you. Then I have no problem with it

>Would make me feel less guilty about eating meat.
>tastier than cattle meat

More soyim for the goyim!

Looks pretty cool but I feel like that shit's expensive

Cringe, why does Sup Forums have such awful delusions of grandeur

>cheaper
good luck with that

Is it cheaper than regular meat? If not, then who cares?
Faggot.

how does this even work?

Has to be some kind of draw back I think we need more info on it. But if it all good I don't have any really have any objections to it except that with more and more tech people have become completely disconnected from the world and what we eat which I think is a bad thing

Needs decades of testing to make sure it won't bring about the apocalypse.

We need alternatives to factory farming, but honestly getting people sold on insect protein is the best short term alternative.

If it wasn't a real animal before it died, I'm not eating it. Feed the Africans with it.

it's either that or we have to kill people

What the fuck is wrong with you?

why are you so angry about what he said?

Insects are far more nutritious than animals, more protein rich, and farming them takes up a fraction of the space meat farming does.
It's the future. Asian countries have been doing this for decades.

You can't have an insect steak.

This is literally the primary reason it's being invested in so heavily- because it's cheaper than meat. The fact it's way more environmentally friendly is, surprisingly, only a bonus

Protein synthesis mostly, and some less complicated microbiology

Initial cost is literally the only drawback so far. There are limitations though, for now.

Insects are seen as disgusting in the west, and the west is where 99% of the problems of the meat industry come from. This seems like a sensible alternative that is essentially better in terms of eventual output
Also I'd argue that the amount of stupidity in this thread is evidence that most people are already so far disconnected from their food sources that it makes no difference there

You can have one made up of the meat of a fuckload of insects. That tastes just like chicken.
The more humans there are, the more necessary this route is going to become. Animal meat takes WAY too much land & resources to farm.

>You can have one made up of the meat of a fuckload of insects
That's no longer a steak.
>That tastes just like chicken.
Chicken is low tier meat. Wake me up when you get to pork and beef.

Protein farming
Just like Blade Runner 2049 :D
I'd eat it

That's an oooooooold meme when we were just a small group of anime fans, son.

My problem is we move ahead with technological advancements far too quickly most times, when a lot of times negative effects aren't readily apparent for decades. The petri dish meat needs a lot more time.

>Wake me up when you get to pork and beef
You're assuming when the switch is made en masse there's going to be much of a choice.
Better bone up on raising them yourself to eat. There's already insect farm startups trying to work on the image problem, as that's the only hurdle here.

The switch is not going to be made en masse as long as there's demand for pork and beef.

So what animal is it supposed to have it supposed to be like? I assume beef. I'm actually very ignorant on this.
What was this meat derived from originally? Or was it actually created?

While I agree in general that technology fueled by capitalism tends to cause unnecessary damage, the pretence that lab meat could somehow show dangers we don't already know about is frankly ludicrous. It's meat. We know how and what it's made of any how those affect health in the long term and it's been tested by just about every food protection in existence. It's been safe for the last 30 years, it's not going to suddenly become susceptible to new micrology.

It's meat tofu, no more nor less.

> posted from mom's basement

>So what animal is it supposed to have it supposed to be like?
Whatever you make it taste like, same as tofu or pasta.
>I assume beef. I'm actually very ignorant on this.
Almost everyone is. I have this conversation quite often.

In most successful trials you take muscle tissue and culture it as you would any other culture. We've been doing it for years on humans for health but the last 10-20 years have seen this being applied to animals for food and some other medical uses.

>It's been safe for the last 30 years
Hell, even I didn't know it's been around that long, I assumed it was a relatively recent advancement.

A demand that might not be able to be met indefinitely. Areas where most major corps like McD's are farming their beef are having bigger population explosions than we are in the US. They'll need that land themselves to grow veg crops to sustain their own populations before too long. Meat will get much more expensive, and as the population globally gets bigger, it's going to get pretty fucking hard to justify feeding crop supply that could feed tens to hundreds of thousands to animals that will only feed several thousand. Simple math.

Tastes just like broccoli!

Also to add to that tofu/pasta statement, you can create completely flavourless meat and add flavour afterwards but we've also started using specific proteins from the animal to make it taste like beef or chicken or whatever, it's just a little more complicated and not really worth it

>not realising you're already eating this shit on your frozen pizzas
Filthy casuals, read the ingredients list on the foods you eat.

>Meat will get much more expensive
Then that's what will happen, incentivizing the production of even more meat.
> it's going to get pretty fucking hard to justify feeding crop supply
It won't be hard at all, because money. Simple math.

Please kys faggots take this trash to Reddit.

Ah thank you. I'd honestly invest in this if things go right for me. I wouldn't mind eating it either. Honestly I'd feel safer in a way eating it than meat from the store, depending on things. I just feel with meat as it is now, there's filler in it to stretch out their meat and how much they can make selling more with less expense on them.

"don't take my tendies away, it's the only way I can enjoy drinking ketchup."

Autism.
And other mental shit.
Sorry too like how you think you're above everyone when you are with the rest of us in this Shit.

Plus the tumblr raid was so goddamn funny.

>incentivizing the production of even more
It's only going to get more expensive because of the inability to fill the existing demand, though.

Fuck off to a trap thread

Kys SJW bitch

Says you. Capitalism leads to innovation, and if meat is more profitable than other land uses then that land will just get bought up.

>>Meat will get much more expensive
>Then that's what will happen, incentivizing the production of even more meat.
Demand incentives production
Cost limits that incentive

Meat reached the tipping point 2-3 years ago by most industry studies. Hence shit like this

But this is actually a pretty good thread though, there was a mountain of trap and FB/IG threads and varied sex threads this morning

A) How does it taste compared to regular meat?
B) How does it cost compared to regular meat?

Until those two things are comparable, it's just dumb

this is literally one of the most under educated statements i've ever read. obviously you haven't lived in an area where livestock is kept, or kept any yourself, but cows, goats, and chickens all live on nothing but grass. there is no need to feed them anything else, and grass is in surplus. as i understand, there are farmers out there that don't mind throwing around money, but here, in the area i live, there is nothing but cow fields for miles, and they all eat *you guessed it* grass.

Innovation reduces cost.
>Meat reached the tipping point 2-3 years ago by most industry studies.
[citation needed]

i dunno, if it taste goods, acceptable price, and is healthy[er] than real meat, for which i didn't really care about but as i started to put on weight very slowly, but by now enough to be visible, i try to not get fat before its to late and would take a lot of work to slim down.

Sooo ye, im okay with it. But unfortunately i can imagine it actually costing more than real meat since bio-food cost more also, why wouldn't a scientifically engineered meat cost more than? But if its healthier and worth the price, go ahead make it.

>anti-capitalist
Get a job!

I think its an interesting concept

>but cows, goats, and chickens all live on nothing but grass
Not him but you can't call him uneducated then say something as uninformed and stupid as this.
McDonalds, like most of the US beef industry is fed with corn because it's quicker and cheaper.
Regardless, it doesn't address his point that growing crops for animals instead of growing crops for humans is ultimately way more expensive in terms of land, labour and environment

If you're going to shit all over someone at least make a counter point

hmm i dunno, but i think its right, that there is difference between these sites.

However as fucked up as Sup Forums is, i still find reddit to be cancerous on a very high level. At least here you know "well this is basically the fucked up message board where everything is fucked up, and if not all, at least part of the posters are faggot losers"

on reddit, i read some threads? post, whatever.. all the same.. always some lame ass trying to be funny comment on said post then so begins the comment chain... omfg so cringe i would just delete the entire sub reddit that has X post in it, and banish all those idiots from the internet for enough time for their mind to get a chance to get normal. And never mind there are sub reddits potentially as retarded as Sup Forums. Altho i didn't read much of them, but i saw glimpses of them to kind of have a picture how fucked up they could be.

So ye, pure cancer, of course there are some good parts of it, and well there are normal conversations in various sub reddits, but besides "jokes" i hardly read any... comment section pure ultimate cringe cancer, along with its bandwagon voting system "OMG THAT POST HAS 3K UPVOTES MUST UPVOTE TOO"

Same as for any other meat. Does it taste good?

This is now a cringe thread

It's the future. In 20 years we are all are going to eat it on the reg. Also I'm curious what excuse vegans are going to come up with then.

They think it will be possible to create meat at 5€/kg within 20 years. I guess it would be a good thing. Water and energy consumption is around 50% of growing animals, not taking other stuff into account (like farting cows, land used for farms, etc.)

Currently the meat lacks fat so it tastes like meat but too dry/plain.
Growing fat is harder then growing muscle meat, so it will take some time to solve that problem.

literally live in a main production hub for beef, which supplies meat to most of the country (including McD's), and i'd say my first hand knowledge is more informed than your basement dwelling wikipedia based research. Knowing the people that produce my food is nice, but not important, what is important is the fact that i personally own livestock, that survives on nothing but grass.

hahahaha! oh thats actually an interesting idea. But probably even tho it will infuriate them, they will try to keep it inside. While others probably wont care, but ye those who brag about animals and stuff like that [im sad for the animals too tho but actually if they care that much they could have supported lab meat research with money or something] they will lose their pretty "moral high" about not eating animals.

>going on reddit at all
See

>what is important is the fact that i personally own livestock, that survives on nothing but grass.
Good for you, when you're actually going to address the point he made let me know

what point? there's no point to counter because there are no actual facts to back up his statement.
Grass grows for free, rotate the paddocks that you keep the livestock in, and you never run out of grass. The people who own cattle farms have owned them for generations, there is no cost for the land they own, it's inherited.

Beef here in Europe is actually quite expensive, unlike the US from what I hear. Pork is the major meat source here and the cheapest beef I can get is ground beef for around 5€/kg. Whole pieces that aren't extremely lean are ridiculously expensive.

And what about the meat industry? Surely they won't just say, "oh okay, you invited a much better alternative to our shitty way or producing meat... okay everyone!! time to pack up!! you are all fired!! call the explosive team to blow up the building"

But i hope lab meat do find a way!! COME ON LAB MEAT!! FIGHT!!!!!!!

if it's it's healthier than normal meat I don't see why not. I'm sure it probably is since it does not contain a truck load of estrogen like beef.

how many steaks/animal on average and how much surface/animal on average?

Would people really care where their protein is coming from if it's all ground up? I've seen how Americans produce their chicken nuggets and noone there seems to give a fuck.

depends on the cut, and you'd be better off talking to a butcher about that, as per surface area per animal, you can have 4 cows per half acre, depending on how much time before field rotations occur.

Not to mention when humans finally start exploring the galaxy. I don't know what exactly astronauts are eating but being able to grow meat artificially on a space ship would probably be a necessity, not to mention on other planets since terra forming will take a long time.

If you think people will eat insect burgers so that uneducated babymakers can continue their unsustainable reproduction you've got another thing coming.

or approx how many rations of meat/animal. Would a ballpark of 100 be far away?

There'll always be animal meat available for people who want it and are willing to pay for it. But it will get more expensive and the biggest demand is always for cheap meat, no matter in what form.

again, that's something outside of my area of knowledge. there are tricks in butchery that would make 100 servings of meat per animal an understatement, but i'm not going to talk outside of my knowledge.

ok, but 1000 would be way overestimating it I'd guess. So let's settle on 300-500.

Last one: How long would it take on average to grow a calf until you can send it to the butcher?

i wonder tho, if there are these alternatives, why isn't this happening way faster in the first place. Oh but i know, BECAUSE MONEY! Cause many industries are needed to get the meat to its final destination in its final form. Greedy fucks, hope lab meat will fuck you up!

lmao half a calf? that sounds like a monstrosity. if you're going for an actual animal, 18 months is about normal age for a cow to be led to slaughter.

i read that wrong, forgive me, i have no idea how i read half a calf, guess i'm tired today

more likely culture shock than anything else, the average person in the west isn't really keen on eating up a bug burger

you got me xd

ye but i mean lab meat more like.. sure i heard about insect "meat" becoming a thing, but im talking about lab meat foremost.

And i get there will always be these "What the fuck is this!! IM A MAN GOD DAMN IT!! Give me the flesh of a real animal, not your geeky faggot lab meat you sub human fuck!" i would think most ppl would be fine with lab meat, and better environment all around. And they could just enforce lab meat production and keep real meat production on a much lower scale. So ye, would become somewhat of a luxury, like in the middle ages. But wouldn't matter since here you go, lab meat. But if you want your animal meat that much pay up faggot.

It’s an eventuality, the population just keeps increasing while our resources dwindle. The only truly sustainable protein source is insects.

Will buy the shit out of this once it gets ready for mass production.

and lab meat

i'm ok with manufactured meat, i eat it, it's fine. I'm not so comfortable with eating a cockroach, and yeah, they might be good for you, but the idea is sickening. I'd love to see it become a thing that's publicly available and not just sneaky back room bullshit by major corporations, but unfortunately the masses are just weirded out by these things.

And lab meat yes, even though at first I’m sure people will go insect burger before trying lab meat.

well either way, its good to think that there is finally something coming that could end this ugly thing meat industry is, not to mention inefficient.

>ugly meat industry
What kind of sjw bullshit do you speak of user?
The vegetables you eat are way more disgusting than the meat, considering that they're fertilised with rotten flesh and septic water.

Doesn't taste bad, and its cheaper

so whatever, im not some fuckin retard thats yelling "GGRRARRRGH THAT NO REAL MEAT STUPID VEGON!!!"

XDXD kek

it's all decaying organic matter, just like us. To be honest, as long as it keeps you alive it shouldn't matter what matter you eat, but people can't mentally process these things comfortably. If you fed people rat meat and said it was chicken, they'd eat it with no issues, but if you were straight up selling rat meat, you'd only sell to the eastern market, and even there the demand isn't as high as westerners imagine.