Is this indie rock?

Is this indie rock?

No. Punk Rock, Alternative rock

It's alt rock with bits of garage and punk rock. Not power pop though, people only think this because Paul loved Alex Chilton. This has as much to do with power pop as the Geto Boys

We used to call it College Rock, because only college radio stations would play The Replacements.

It's "alternative rock", but it's not really worth worrying so much about genres.

They had several FM hits (in the late 80s, not the "Let It Be" era) but the only song of theirs to get any AM play was I'll Be You and it made only #51 on the Billboard chart.

There's only like one song on the album that could be qualified as punk rock.

Correct. The songs are too midtempo and not aggressive-sounding enough for punk.

Holy god, did Christgau ever have this band's nuts in his mouth.

This guy gets it. College rock all the way. I'd call it post-punk, mostly, or early alternative, but definitely not Indie.

I guess they were ok if you were a jaded Midwestern teenager in 1985.

His ratings look fine to me.

As a jaded young adult in 2017 it holds up great.

Didn't he rate LIB his #1 or #2 album of 1984 or something?

Yes, along with Born in the USA. When asked 20 years later if he'd change his opinion, he said no. I give you '84 was a pretty lean year as far as major label releases were concerned. I mean, what else was there? Ratt? Stryper? Yeeech.

Is this rockabilly?

Do Americans really do this?

Whatever it is, it's an amazing and emotional album

It's good music

Is it better than Let It Be?

I don't think it is. Let it be is one of those rare albums that are just perfect as they are.

No, it’s the Replacements

They were on an Indie label when this came out so technically yes. IMO it's Alternative/College Rock and The Replacements were one of the bands that helped define the sound of Alternative Rock. Before this they were more of a Punk band though.

indie rock was just getting started as a concept. at the time this would have been considered "post-punk", which is what the Mats, the Huskers and the Minutemen were grouped together as.

Mats really weren't considered college rock when Let It Be came out. Maybe after Tim and definitely by Pleased To Meet Me.

>75956326
This. IMO it's kinda timeless. The lyrics about being young, bored and frustrated are no less relevant than they were in the 80s and musically it doesn't lend itself to any one style too heavily to be outdated. The production is raw but there are still modern Rock bands who aim for similar production.

Compare that to some hairspray trash from 1984 like Animalize which dated in like two seconds.

Duh?

Ironically enough Pleased to Meet Me is the most dadrock sounding of the bunch.

the whole idea of "college rock" was sort of dad-rock-y compared to earlier when there were just punk rock shows on college radio stations

They were the pioneers of Alternative Rock.

Green Day shamelessly completely ripped off their sound and ended up mega famous while the Replacements have been largely forgotten